Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Target -- Marvel's The Avengers 3D Combo Pack with Bonus Disc for $19.99

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Target -- Marvel's The Avengers 3D Combo Pack with Bonus Disc for $19.99

Similar experience for me this morning. About a dozen 3D&Bonus discs at the registers and roughly 20 back by the movies. The register lane movies were labeled at their retail price, but the movie section had a sign announcing "lower than advertised" at $19.99. I'm glad I went before work as the 3D&Bonus packs probably would not have lasted through the day.
Old 09-25-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Target kind of off of 8 Mile Road and the Lodge (right outside Detroit) had maybe 20 or so copies left. I just got back from running there from work. The sad part is, they use those plastic anti-theft cases so all of them were at the very least dented a little.

They scanned it and said that the other stores around were showing 0 or negative inventory for it, but for what it's worth, it also said they only had 4 in stock, when clearly there were a lot more on the shelf.

I'm just happy my minor panic about missing it is over.
Old 09-25-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Man, the employees at my store cleaned out the front. I was one of the first people inside when it opened, but there was only 1 copy on the front display. I didn't bother going to the back to look for all the other copies of it.
Old 09-25-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I cracked mine and saw that the two blu discs are stacked.
Old 09-25-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very limited stock in my local store, I doubt it will last the day. I'll second others and say get out and get it now if you want it.
Old 09-25-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
mine too. odd way to package it.
Old 09-25-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Only 12 3D BDs available at my store, and they sold out within a minute, especially since a couple people took multiple copies. They had a lot more 2D BDs and DVDs, but since I don't care about those I didn't bother to count them. Pretty sad inventory levels at my store as usual. I miss the good old days when they got decent inventory levels and I could go to the store at my convenience on Tuesday rather than having to be there at open.

I was surprised to see that Target's exclusive 3D BD has a sticker with the same UPC (786936819670) as the normal (lenticular cover) 3D BD release at Amazon or other retailers.
Old 09-25-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sent my gf to our local store in So Cal, and she said they only had about 2 shelves worth of the 3D, while there were hundreds of the regular BD and DVD.
Old 09-25-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plenty at the South Austin location @ Lamar/71. I'd say about 30 in both front and back. No rush.

Employees standing around trying to decide if the DVD inside would work in their DVD player. Oy.
Old 09-25-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got to my local Target at 9am (opened at 8). Already out of the 4disc set. According to the employee I talked to, they only got 10 in for the entire store.

Crap. Oh well, I could care less about 3D. But the digital copy would have been nice.
Old 09-25-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My store had limited stock as well. 4 up front by the cashiers, and 6 by the new releases. I bought 3 of them (2 for friends who couldnt get there at opening), and I'm sure the others sold out quickly as well. I have no doubt that Target will get more, but I don't think they're going to be flooded with these like Twilight. And to find it this week before the sale ends may be tricky if you don't get it today.
Old 09-25-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Heads up for downtown Sacramento people- I went by the one on Broadway before 9 and they were already sold out- someone said they might get more in by Friday but not sure if they'd still have the bonus disc or be on sale for $19.99. Went to the one in West Sacramento next since that's a bit out of the way, and they still had plenty in the regular movie section and they were putting out more by the front. They said they were already selling "like hotcakes", which is good since hopefully that'll get more people into 3D! (I noticed the week John Carter came out, that sold out rather quickly at Target which was surprising since it wasn't a very popular movie.)

Rather crappy packaging- basically a 2-disc case with 2 discs stacked on both sides, plus the bonus disc in a sleeve which won't fit inside the closed case but fits OK in the slipcover with the case. Guess I should be glad it's not an Eco-Case at least...
Old 09-25-12, 12:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
never saw this done before. very odd indeed. stupid imo.
Old 09-25-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The Fox and the Hound was similar- that had one BD and 2 DVDs, with both DVDs stacked (yeah, THAT'S much better than a 2-sided disc...)
Old 09-25-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Anyone who posts a Target purchase story of The Avengers 3D BD at Target, please also post how many copies of the 3D BD you saw on the shelves and roughly when you got there.

I'm incredibly curious for what should be the most popular new release of the year how many copies Target is sending to most of their stores. In the long post above, I read 10 copies for 1 store which is precisely the low inventory I'd expect from Target from past 3D new releases. If each store only has 10, anyone arriving much later than 8:01 AM will probably leave empty-handed, and if Tuesday is the only $19.99 day it'll be pointless to catch it later in the week. I'm hoping Target proves me wrong and sends dozens of 3D BDs to most stores.
You worry too much
I live in the middle of nowhere and my Target had 40 or more in three different locations throughout the store (shelving p.o.p. at front registers, new release shelving in electronics and Avengers 1/2 wall also in electronics).

I also scanned the 3D pack as there were no signs denoting the lower price and from that saw that it was $19.99.

Not too thrilled that when I opened it, both sides of the pack had stacked discs (DC atop DVD, 3D Disc atop regular Blu). You'd think this would sell well enough to warrant better disc placement. Oh, for those wondering, the Target bonus disc is in a cardboard envelope glued to outside of the back of the case beneath the slip.
Old 09-25-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,203 Likes on 4,230 Posts

My experience was just like that above -- lots of copies, no signage of any price for the 3D version.

Even if I can't get it refunded, I still want to keep my Best Buy steelbook case for half of those five discs to be housed safely in.
Old 09-25-12, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by b2net
Ended up getting to Target about 20 minutes before they opened... up until 5 minutes before opening I was the only car in the regular part of the parking lot (employees were off to the side).. there were a couple employees cleaning in front of the store (power washing and picking up trash).. and there were 2 seagulls..

just about 5 minutes before opening.. in came a small amount of cars.. maybe 10.... and they parked.. when these folks got out of their cars.. I didn't think everyone was there for Avengers.. boy was I wrong..

the doors opened.. and all of us went to where the discs were setup... the 3D set was shelf marked $24.99... and they had the regular Blu set (the one mentioned they wouldn't get) marked $19.99.. I thought.. hmmm... maybe that was a regional thing or mistake on the website or urban legend..

then I heard the worker that was there talking to the small group of people.. explaining that it is $5 more to get the 3D set.. but if you want to save $5.. the regular set would be good... so I changed my plan to buy 2 and grabbed 1 ... then I noticed the price scanner nearby..

scanned the 3D set.. and .. it was $19.99.. so as I grabbed a 2nd copy (an Xmas present)... I told the people with the employee and the employee that the 3D set was indeed still $19.99... so basically the same price.. and here it is.. the punchline..

the employee told all of us.. that yes ... "right now".. it is $19.99 because they had price matched themselves on the other set as they orginally didn't think they were going to get any ... but now that they did get them ... the $19.99 price for the 3D set will only work for a little while "today only"....

so the 70 year old guy that was there buying 5 copies (assumed for his grandchildren or that is gonna be us in a few decades)... put his non-3D sets back to get the 3D sets..

basically the employee was trying to steer people away from the 3D set.. likely to allow it to go back up to $24.99... but that small pack of us that were there early didn't take the bait.. (I even told a couple people in the checkout.. who went back to change up to the 3D set)...

happy hunting...
Hmm... I saw this exacly the same post somewhere I forgot where. Anyway, After I see all these out of stock posts here. I told my boss I have to take an early lunch, rushed to the nearest Target store at 10AM and got my copy of the 3D. Only 2 left. Can I refund the $7.50 BB steelbook deposit today or better wait after the deadline of 10/08/12 for full refund? I am worry about when I ask for refund and they ask me to return the steelbook case.
Old 09-25-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The new Target in Downtown Chicago said they didn't get any of the 3D version in. I call BS on that.
Old 09-25-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As it was on my way to something else later today, I didn't get to my Target until half past noon and all the 3D/BLU/DVD packs were gone from the front display, but the shelf in the movie section still had two left. I took one and left one for the next person.
Old 09-25-12, 01:22 PM

I just came from the Target in NW Phx,az(I17 & 101) and they had I would guess around 15 of the 3D version. They had a sign just saying "new lower price than advertised ". I asked who I think was the stocking manager and he said that the price was lowered to compete with other retailers doing the same?

Looking forward to watching this on our Kuro. I just hope they did a good job on the PQ & AQ!!!!
Old 09-25-12, 01:37 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Here is something, at the Target by me (East Hanover, NJ) all they had was the 2D 2 disc with the bonus disc. I was under the impression that only the 3D came with the bonus disc.
Old 09-25-12, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
...all the 3D/BLU/DVD packs were gone from the front display, but the shelf in the movie section still had two left. I took one and left one for the next person.

Same here. All gone in the front display, but still had 3 copies left in the movie section. Plenty of the regular BD version. The bonus disk is in its' own cardboard sleeve under the slipcover. The Target bonus disk is a BD.

Scanned it and none in the backroom. It seems like some stores got more than others. Might be based on past 3D sales.

Great price for only $19.99 with the bonus bd.
Old 09-25-12, 01:42 PM

My local Target store said they didn't have any of the 3d version available for sale as they were being held on reserve for preorders. I didn't know that Target took preorders or is this bs?
Old 09-25-12, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to Pasadena Tx store at 7:50 and there were only a few people in line. The doors opened and a mad rush ensued. I was ahead and got to the display only to find that noone was behind me. I leisurely went through them all, snatching up 3 copies that were unblemished. There were about 30 copies in all, some in electronics and a few near the front registers. A few others came by to buy it, but noone knew of the price adjustment. After purchasing mine, the electronics guy was amazed at the price and printed out another tag.

Also got Thor 3D and Captain America 3D for 14.99. I guess CS read the BB ad wrong

Originally Posted by budster7
My local Target store said they didn't have any of the 3d version available for sale as they were being held on reserve for preorders. I didn't know that Target took preorders or is this bs?
Not BS, I saw some behind the counter. The electronics guy said that Target was doing preorders for Avengers.
Old 09-25-12, 02:16 PM

To each their own, but it's just mind-boggling to me that people are lining up and having a mad rush for garden-variety new movie releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.