Re: Best Buy Ad 09/16 - 09/22/12

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
Not out until September 25. I was looking for it last week lol
out 9/18 at every place but BB.
Old 09-16-12, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can you get the $10 off coupon for Army Wives? Is it just at Best Buy or can you use it elsewhere. Last week I used the $10 off coupon for Castle at Walmart.

Thanks,
April
Old 09-16-12, 02:06 PM
Cool New Member

Thank you
Old 09-16-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manzana
Yes, but older boxed sets (Xmen, Spiderman, Die Hard, Underworld, Resident Evil, Jurassic Park trilogies) had BF specials last year. It's about time that LOTR EE trilogy BD gets a good $30 BF sale as I keep missing those rare $30-$40 deals. Indiana Jones may be too recent to get anything awesome this holiday season, but there's always next year. I just remind myself every time not to flinch on the prices... that roughly $10 per movie in a BD box set is my limit and it'll get there if I wait long enough. I always say, if you want the movie now then just pay the current prices, but if you're already overloaded and don't care when you get it, just wait.
I don't remember any of these having any real BF deals. I guess they were on sale for $8-$10/movie, but nothing great. And the Die Hard special was earlier in the year.

I don't ever remember Star Wars being really cheap (though it may have been before I returned to buying movies). I only remember the trilogies being 24.99 at Circuit City BF 2008 or 2009. I will be very surprised if Star Wars ever gets to the BN price, but it might through coupons, etc. On the other hand, it is a FOX title and FOX usually deep discounts their stuff eventually ...

I can't freakin' believe that BF is only 2 months away. Usually I'm really looking forward to it, but Best Buy has been so aggressive with U&S and their DOTDs that I am not really in the mood to spend money. But it is 2 months away

On a side note, I did get LOTR EE set in excellent condition for ... six bucks. Best deal this year.
Old 09-17-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^^^^^^ All of those Blu-Ray Fox trilogies I listed were $19.99 at either Fry's Electronics or BB 1 of the last 2 BFs so I PM'd them at Walmart. Robocop Trilogy was another I bought, and it's $15.99 now at Amazon. The only Star Wars deal I've found is the B&N 50% off preorder deal I got.

I'm not looking forward to BF this year because it's so much work to monitor all of the deals, and going to the store has become a total dread, plus money is tighter this year. After 3 times of failing, at least I learned last BF at Walmart that I have no chance on earth getting my hands on any of the good $10 console games, so I won't even try this time. They literally had cops with billy clubs holding back crowds from the single game box and I was 5 people back. By the time I could even move every single game was gone... not to mention a couple guys grabbed every copy of the good games and then people started paying them $10 each game to get what they had (making them $20 games). I'd never seen a person reselling games before actually buying them before. The cops seemed more interested in continually threatening to arrest anyone who pushed them (and one planted himself directly in front of me) than preventing the hoarding and reselling.

Anyway, I'm going way off topic. I'm with you. I'm definitely NOT looking forward to BF. There will be some good deals, but even last year I debated if all the time and effort involved was worth the savings... perhaps barely.

That'sAllFolks, when was the LOTR EE BD set on sale for $6? I totally missed that one, though even if I had been aware of that deal I doubt it would've lasted. The lowest price I have written down for this set was $35 at Walmart.com in February 2012 and it lasted less than an hour.
Old 09-17-12, 12:11 PM

^^^^^^ All of those Blu-Ray Fox trilogies I listed were $19.99 at either Fry's Electronics or BB 1 of the last 2 BFs so I PM'd them at Walmart. Robocop Trilogy was another I bought, and it's $15.99 now at Amazon. The only Star Wars deal I've found is the B&N 50% off preorder deal I got.

I'm not looking forward to BF this year because it's so much work to monitor all of the deals, and going to the store has become a total dread, plus money is tighter this year. After 3 times of failing, at least I learned last BF at Walmart that I have no chance on earth getting my hands on any of the good $10 console games, so I won't even try this time. They literally had cops with billy clubs holding back crowds from the single game box and I was 5 people back. By the time I could even move every single game was gone... not to mention a couple guys grabbed every copy of the good games and then people started paying them $10 each game to get what they had (making them $20 games). I'd never seen a person reselling games before actually buying them before. The cops seemed more interested in continually threatening to arrest anyone who pushed them (and one planted himself directly in front of me) than preventing the hoarding and reselling.

Anyway, I'm going way off topic. I'm with you. I'm definitely NOT looking forward to BF. There will be some good deals, but even last year I debated if all the time and effort involved was worth the savings... perhaps barely.

That'sAllFolks, when was the LOTR EE BD set on sale for $6? I totally missed that one, though even if I had been aware of that deal I doubt it would've lasted. The lowest price I have written down for this set was $35 at Walmart.com in February 2012 and it lasted less than an hour.
Actually I picked up the LOTR at a pawn shop. They were selling used blus for $3 a piece and he gave me the box set at a discount (he did it the month before when I got the TMNT Pizza box for $6 as well) LOTR was in excellent condition. I would rather have new, but the price was definiately right.

Walmart was a mad house last year -- by far the worst it has ever been. Prior to 2010, it seems nobody really paid attention to the movies and you could just leisurely pick them up. Last year, it was as if starved animals were let loose on a side of beef.

I understand about the monitoring at BF week (which usually starts Sunday). I got up a 4-5 am every morning and monitored the forums until usually 10 a.m. - noon (while I did other things). I don't know if it's really worth the time. I just know the regret I would have if I missed out on something really great -- and there's always a few really great deals. Maybe this year I can keep myself from blind buying and mediocre deals. That might take of half my purchases.

I really need to check out those Fry's ads more carefully. They usually don't get a whole lot of attention and it's easy to miss something. I'm just glad BB will PM Fry's. I would have liked to get the X-Men Trilogy for 19.99 though.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 09-17-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts

The Internet has changed the entire game of retailing on Black Friday and there is simply less value to be had from it for the average consumer. Stores know almost anything they advertise will be considered a deal by the uninformed masses, so the number of incredible deals has greatly diminished.
Old 09-17-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They literally had cops with billy clubs holding back crowds from the single game box and I was 5 people back. By the time I could even move every single game was gone... not to mention a couple guys grabbed every copy of the good games and then people started paying them $10 each game to get what they had (making them $20 games). I'd never seen a person reselling games before actually buying them before. The cops seemed more interested in continually threatening to arrest anyone who pushed them (and one planted himself directly in front of me) than preventing the hoarding and reselling.
I would have paid good money to witness Manzana in the midst of that madness.
Old 09-17-12, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Internet has changed the entire game of retailing on Black Friday and there is simply less value to be had from it for the average consumer. Stores know almost anything they advertise will be considered a deal by the uninformed masses, so the number of incredible deals has greatly diminished.
That being said, Amazon alone has greatly changed the game, too. Online deals throughout the week lessen the need to be out and about.
Old 09-17-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Should be the same place as the Castle coupon except it's not active yet -- check tomorrow or Tuesday morning
BB's ad says the Army Wives Season 6 Part 1 $10 coupon is at http://www.abctvondvdcoupon.com/bestbuy vs. just http://www.abctvondvdcoupon.com where we normally find the coupons. I have no idea if the "/bestbuy" makes a difference or not.

So, do they normally wait until the last minute (Tuesday morning when it's released) to put up the coupon? The other coupons (like Body of Proof) were up much earlier. It makes me wonder if there's a typo in the URL or the ad was wrong.
Old 09-17-12, 08:19 PM

I know this is from a different thread:
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Bought some TV titles today. Here's a tip for anyone trying to reach the $50 or $100 plateau, but can't find anything else they want. Just buy the cheapest qualifying set, then return it later. They pro-rate, so you don't want to go far over the limit. For instance, I was buying $84.97 in TV titles. I grabbed a $15.99 set I didn't want so that I reached $100.96. I will then return that set later. So I got the $25 GC, and will lose only a small $3.96 when I return the item. I still get to keep $21.04, much better than the $10 I would have got otherwise.
Have you done this yet. I was just wondering how they compute the return. Technically they should subtract the 3.96 AFTER they compute the total return (w/ tax), instead of before, otherwise the tax on the deducted amount (in this case 3.96) will not be credited. For example if you pay 10% tax, you would pay out $110 + get a $25 GC. If they deducted the $25 first when returning, you would be get 82.50 ($75 + 7.50 tax). That means you would lose $2.50 ($110 - 82.50 + 25.00).
Old 09-18-12, 05:15 PM
Cool New Member

I still haven't found an Army Wives coupon in case others are wondering about it too