Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Old 07-27-12, 04:25 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Link
Old 07-27-12, 05:10 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 498
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

The link says shiping is not available. Good price though.
Old 07-27-12, 07:02 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

^
They must have just changed it then - I ordered it at 5:20 and my total was $7.99. I wonder if my order will be honored.
Old 07-27-12, 08:32 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Also in-store at this price...Renton WA

Last edited by wmhgreen48; 07-27-12 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add location
Old 07-28-12, 12:43 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
JoeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Paradise
Posts: 2,350
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Not sure what time their Friday sales go live.As I mostly buy in store,they are close enough to drive to.

But from everything I seen posted.
You have to get in fast ,if you want these deals online.




Yes, nearly all of their sale items have had free shipping in the last month or so. The trick is getting in on the deal before the item becomes backordered, which seems to happen incredibly fast on their site. Many times the item will become available again at different points throughout the week, however.
Old 07-28-12, 12:21 PM
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,377
Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Feel like a sucker paying $13+ at Amazon Never expected to see a great price like this.
Old 07-28-12, 01:40 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

As usual, Fry's has free shipping available early Friday morning and yanks it away later. Since I know they often do this, I'm normally on top of these things and would've ordered it first thing Friday morning, but tons of issue have been happening with my family so not only have I gotten very little sleep for the last week but this is the first time in a week I've had more than a couple minutes at the computer.

When I saw the ad, I figured if I miss it at Fry's, no big deal because I have the Fry's ad for $7.99 and should be able to pricematch at Walmart, Target, or BB. Wrong! All 3 stores are too lame to carry Singin' in the Rain BD in stock. So Fry's appears to be the only retailer in my area that has it. If I drive out to get it, the gas cost almost eats up the savings. I guess I have until next Thursday to decide. It's pretty sad how pathetic the inventory is at most B&M stores for new release BDs if the movie is more than 1 year old. I can imagine the corporate decision maker on what BDs get sent to the B&Ms thoughts on seeing Singin' in the Rain on his list: Gene who?, Donald who?, Debbie who?, 1952? Nobody cares about a movie made 60 years ago... next!

I don't suppose any of the companies online divisions (like BB.com) would do a pricematch to Fry's for an online order? I know Staples does, but I've never done it with the other 3.
Old 07-28-12, 04:12 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Isn't it likely that Target or Best Buy will release the 3 disc (1 blu, 2 dvds) Singin' in the Rain set this Holiday season without the box and the swag? Why rush to get the bare bones blu-ray?
Old 07-28-12, 08:43 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,369
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Jfunk1 View Post
Isn't it likely that Target or Best Buy will release the 3 disc (1 blu, 2 dvds) Singin' in the Rain set this Holiday season without the box and the swag? Why rush to get the bare bones blu-ray?
For $7.99 shipped the "bare bones" Blu-ray is all I need. No use for either of the DVD's.

Audio Commentary: Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Kathleen Freeman, co-director Stanley Donen, screenwriters Betty Comden and Adolph Green, filmmaker Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) and author Rudy Behlmer marvel at Singin' in the Rain and discuss its legacy at length. Though recorded separately, the actors and filmmakers share production anecdotes and personal stories, Luhrmann and Behlmer discuss the film's influence and place in history, and the commentary covers the gamut, from Singin's development to its performances, songs, dance choreography and impact on cinema and culture.

Singin' in the Rain: Raining on a New Generation: (HD, 51 minutes): A solid lineup of current singers, dancers, musicians, directors and choreographers, from film and television, sit down to talk about the craft, technique, style, choreography, difficulty and pure joy of the song-and-dance numbers featured in Singin' in the Rain.

Jukebox (HD, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround): Create, save and listen to an audio/video playlist of Singin' in the Rain songs, among them the main title, "Fit as a Fiddle," "All I Do Is Dream of You," "Make 'Em Laugh," "You Were Meant For Me," "Beautiful Girl," "Moses Supposes," "Good Morning," "Singin' in the Rain," the "Broadway" pieces, "You Are My Lucky Star" and more.

Theatrical Trailer (SD, 4 minutes): They don't make trailers like they used to, but that's a very good thing. Still, the nostalgic and completists among you will enjoy every minute of this relic.
Old 07-28-12, 08:46 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Jfunk1 View Post
Why rush to get the bare bones blu-ray?
I already have the SE DVD, so I'll just stick the second disc in a double-case with the Blu-ray.
Old 07-28-12, 10:40 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
For $7.99 shipped the "bare bones" Blu-ray is all I need. No use for either of the DVD's.
The bare-bones BD is all I need too. Unfortunately it's not available for $7.99 shipped anywhere... only at Fry's B&M stores (until they run OOS).
Old 07-29-12, 01:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 2,016
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Fry's is very good about issuing Rain Checks for OOS items and even though they say on the form that they expire in 30 days any Fry's employee will tell you they are honored for at least a year after issue. It's the only way to go if you can't get there early on sale day.
Old 07-29-12, 02:27 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I already have the SE DVD, so I'll just stick the second disc in a double-case with the Blu-ray.
I hear ya. But, I sold off my SE DVD once they announced the blu-ray. So, I'm going to have to wait it out for a 3-disc set from one of the retailers.
Old 07-30-12, 11:10 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
Fry's is very good about issuing Rain Checks for OOS items and even though they say on the form that they expire in 30 days any Fry's employee will tell you they are honored for at least a year after issue. It's the only way to go if you can't get there early on sale day.
The problem is I don't want to have to drive to Fry's just for 1 item or to get a raincheck. The time and gas involved negates the price savings over Amazon.

Unfortunately I can't get a raincheck over the phone, and even though I could do an in-store pickup order the most I'd have to pick it up is 3 days. Now if Fry's ever had more than 1 or 2 tiny items in their weekly sales that I wanted, I could justify it, but adding $5 of gas + 40 minutes for 1 Blu-Ray ruins the deal. I'm still checking daily hoping that it comes back for free shipping, but that's pretty unlikely.
Old 07-30-12, 02:09 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 2,016
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Manzana, if a Frys within 20 miles from you gets more copies in this week call the toll free Best Buy line and have them price match and mail it to you. I think BB has free shipping on everything this week.
Old 08-01-12, 02:09 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,369
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
The bare-bones BD is all I need too. Unfortunately it's not available for $7.99 shipped anywhere... only at Fry's B&M stores (until they run OOS).
It was at Fry's when I ordered it the morning of the 27th. I live nowhere near a Fry's but have noticed they will have some of the sale titles with free shipping Friday mornings and the by the afternoon the free shipping option is gone.

QTY ITEM DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
**********1 7171672 Singin In The Rain 60Th Warner Bros. 7.99**********PRODUCT 7.99TAX 0.00POSTAGE & HANDLING 0.00**********VISA TOTAL $ 7.99
Old 08-01-12, 11:08 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
Manzana, if a Frys within 20 miles from you gets more copies in this week call the toll free Best Buy line and have them price match and mail it to you. I think BB has free shipping on everything this week.
My Fry's store never ran out of stock of it, according to the online inventory. I simply don't want to drive an extra 12 miles to Fry's just for 1 item.

So BB.com does officially PM other stores within 20 miles? I'm on my 2nd call as the first one hung up on me after 5 minute wait + another 5 minutes while calling to verify Singin' in the Rain is at Fry's. It doesn't matter that I said they can verify each stores' inventory online (like most of the B&M stores do). I think they call hoping that they can't get through, it takes so long the customer gives up, or they annoy Fry's and make them say it's not in stock when it is. The 2nd rep is now calling and I'm just waiting to get hung up on again.

On top of this, BB doesn't have the new Total Recall nor the 2 disc Das Boot in any stores. Das Boot is in their store ad, but I can't PM that anywhere because AS USUAL nobody has it in stock except Fry's who won't PM the U&S trade-ins.

Thanks, BB, for all the great vaporware deals you've had this week! It's almost reaching a point where PM'ing is becoming worthless because so many B&M stores carry very little in stock any more.

EDIT: Gave up. The 2nd rep claims that she couldn't get through to Fry's on the number I always use (i.e. saying that Fry's appeared to be out of business in my area) so she couldn't PM. Maybe the phone line is down now but I doubt it. They are definitely not out of business. She also said she didn't know what was happening with Das Boot in the ad and didn't offer to do anything. So I gave up with her.
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
have noticed they will have some of the sale titles with free shipping Friday mornings and the by the afternoon the free shipping option is gone.
Yes, I know they do that, but early last Friday morning I was at a long doctor's appointment for a family member so I couldn't deal with it when I normally would, and then it was too late.

Last edited by Manzana; 08-01-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 11:35 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,369
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Yes, I know they do that, but early last Friday morning I was at a long doctor's appointment for a family member so I couldn't deal with it when I normally would, and then it was too late.
Bummer. I wasn't aware that Fry's worked that way. Just giving you and others a "heads up" that if you want a BD deal with free shipping early Friday morning after their sale hits is the time to get it.
Old 08-01-12, 01:35 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Bummer. I wasn't aware that Fry's worked that way. Just giving you and others a "heads up" that if you want a BD deal with free shipping early Friday morning after their sale hits is the time to get it.
Thanks. Others may not be aware of it so it's worth posting, but I was. Normally I get up at 6 AM and go through SD and the Fry's ad online. If I see anything I like I check their web site for free shipping. Every once in a while they have free shipping on something I want and I order Friday morning before 9 AM... except when family matters interfere like last Friday. This Friday I have the same situation, but the appointment is later so I hope I can check Fry's first.

On my 3rd attempt I finally got a BB.com employee who was willing/able to do it. All 3 calls from start to finish took about 50 minutes, so it would've been more cost effective to go to Fry's, but it's done now. A speakerphone makes it so I can multitask though they have a harder time understanding me. So I have 1 Singin in the Rain BD PM'd to $7.99 ordered. BB never makes things easy. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done on the 2 disc Das Boot BD.
Old 08-01-12, 03:04 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,369
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Thanks. Others may not be aware of it so it's worth posting, but I was. Normally I get up at 6 AM and go through SD and the Fry's ad online. If I see anything I like I check their web site for free shipping. Every once in a while they have free shipping on something I want and I order Friday morning before 9 AM... except when family matters interfere like last Friday. This Friday I have the same situation, but the appointment is later so I hope I can check Fry's first.

On my 3rd attempt I finally got a BB.com employee who was willing/able to do it. All 3 calls from start to finish took about 50 minutes, so it would've been more cost effective to go to Fry's, but it's done now. A speakerphone makes it so I can multitask though they have a harder time understanding me. So I have 1 Singin in the Rain BD PM'd to $7.99 ordered. BB never makes things easy. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done on the 2 disc Das Boot BD.
Cool! Glad you were able to get a copy for $7.99 even if it was a pain!

Yep, just sharing as the news about Frys and their free early morning Friday shipping was news to me. It's always frustrating to see those great Frys prices and not be able to get in on them.
Old 08-21-12, 12:25 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

How long does it take these guys to get items in-stock? I ordered Fort Apache almost four weeks ago and it's still back-ordered.
Old 08-22-12, 09:03 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 792
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

It's currently listed as $9.99 with free shipping, but it's backordered. I've got two DVD versions of this already. I guess I can wait for the blu to pop up somewhere else.
Old 09-14-12, 08:11 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Singin' in the Rain 1-disc: $7.99 shipped at Frys

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
How long does it take these guys to get items in-stock? I ordered Fort Apache almost four weeks ago and it's still back-ordered.
I finally received a shipping notice today.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.