Spawn - $4.99
Coma (1978) - $4.99
Fifth Element - $4.99
The Rite (w/slip) - $4.99
Old 07-16-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

First time ever trying the Upgrade & Save promotion. Picked up these 5 for $4.99:

MI: Ghost Protocol BD/DVD
Batman Begins Steelbook (with movie cash)
Dark Knight Steelbook (with movie cash)
Superman II: Donner Cut (with movie cash)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid BD/DVD

The store I went to had none of the $4.99 Ice Age films.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 07-17-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
So is Final Destination 4 on sale?
The Final Destination 3D, AKA Final Destination 4. So to answer your question, yest. Part 4 in 3D is on sale, Part 5 in 3D is not.
Old 07-16-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks!
Old 07-16-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silly question, but is there any difference between the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight steel books and the normal blu rays I own other than the steel case?
Old 07-16-12, 09:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was shot down trying to use the $3 Universal coupon; will try again this weekend at a different BB. Otherwise, smooth transactions. --Peter
Old 07-16-12, 10:05 PM

I stopped by my dollar tree yesterday to look for future trade in fodder and left empty handed. I happened to be by a 99 cent only store today so I went in and they had a fairly large selection of DVDs to choose from so I bought a couple (Lost Boys The Tribe and the Lawnmower Man collection). Funny how I've never seen dvds there before. Afterwords I took the 3 Dvds I had with me and bought 3 $5 after coupon movies. Frequency, Dazed and Confused and the last copy they had of Ice Age 2. Too Bad I didn't pick up Ice Age 3 yesterday when I had the chance. Maybe they will restock before the promotion is up though.
Old 07-16-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought ten copies of dirty sanchez at biglots this weekend for 10$
i got for 5$ each
The 2 batman steelbooks *paid of that i never upgraded to blu
The Good The Bad the Weird
Abraham Lincoln vs.Zombies
Nazis in the center of the earth
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol

for i think 8
i got Contagion

saved the rest of the credit for next couple weeks.

however there was alot of unadvertised blus for 7.99 *i dont remember them in the ad atleast

I got
Super 8
Paranormal Activity 3
Sin CIty
Old 07-16-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Silly question, but is there any difference between the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight steel books and the normal blu rays I own other than the steel case?
AFAIK, these particular steelbooks are only the 1-Disc versions. So, if you have any 2-Disc editions...keep those as well.
Old 07-16-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ TDK is a 2-discer. I believe Begins always was one disc...
Old 07-16-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also anyone else have this problem

Incredible Hulk was marked on sale at 14.99 so 10 ith a coupon, but in the ad i just checked and it shoulda been a 5$ title there were no ads available at the front like usual and as like pulling teeth to get it checked so i said screw it and left ill grab it later this week and bring my own ad
Old 07-16-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madmod20061
it's actually "The Final Destination 3D" that's on sale, not Final Destination 5 3D. So that's actually part 4 that's on sale. I bought it yesterday. Final Destination 5 3D is still showing full price online and in store. They need to name their sequels better. If anyone knows anything different let me know because I'll go tomorrow after work and get part 5.
Like "The Not-Even-Close-To-Being-The-Final Destination Because We Want To Rape You For More Money"
That's what Part 4 should have been called...
Old 07-16-12, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Like "The Not-Even-Close-To-Being-The-Final Destination Because We Want To Rape You For More Money"
That's what Part 4 should have been called...
So true. Funny what happens when the final film becomes the highest grossing of the series. That final becomes not so final anymore Though part 5 was way better anyway, so I guess it worked out ok.
Old 07-17-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Happy that got three good Blu-ray deals for five dollars each. They were M.I. Ghost Protical and Kick Ass, both the versions with DVD and dc. I also picked up The Outlaw Josey Wales. I wasn't happy though and argued 30 minutes with two employees about the fine print on buyin TV seasons. Both claimed it would have to be Blu-Ray also as well as music on Blu-Ray. I told them if that was the case then it should just read anything on Blu-Ray $9.99 or over instead of Blu-ray movie, Tv or music.
Old 07-17-12, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Also, Disney's Meet the Robinsons 3D and G-Force 3D, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2 3D, How to Train Your Dragon 3D and Shrek 1-4 3D are $14.99 after the T&S.
Awesome, is the first Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon 3D sets just the 3D movies or do they have special features as well?
Old 07-17-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GMLSKIS
Happy that got three good Blu-ray deals for five dollars each. They were M.I. Ghost Protical and Kick Ass, both the versions with DVD and dc. I also picked up The Outlaw Josey Wales. I wasn't happy though and argued 30 minutes with two employees about the fine print on buyin TV seasons. Both claimed it would have to be Blu-Ray also as well as music on Blu-Ray. I told them if that was the case then it should just read anything on Blu-Ray $9.99 or over instead of Blu-ray movie, Tv or music.
Well, in BB's defense, the promo itself is called "upgrade and save." What would you be upgrading if you trade in a DVD for another DVD?

But I do like the suggested "anything on Blu-Ray $9.99 or over" wording better.
Old 07-17-12, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yeah, I did it at two stores (they asked me at check out both times, so I figured no harm trying)
Not only that, but I went in yesterday and got one of those coupons, went in today and got another coupon for them checking my phone! :P

My store is a little more slack than a lot of others I've heard, but it was a different person so I just asked them if they could do the upgrade check to get the free $5 off, and it worked. All they do is type your phone # in, ask your carrier, ask your zip code, and hand you a coupon. Could do it multiple times a day if you are pesky enough.
Old 07-17-12, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by gp1086
They said there's a sneak-peak on both for TDKR, but I'm not sure where that sneak-peak is, maybe it's on the disc, but it's just a sticker. The extra features are the exact same ones as the previous releases.

I used my upgrade check coupon today as well, so I picked up...

Abraham Lincoln VS Zombies (4.99 after coupon)
Altered States (4.99 after coupon)
Green Lantern (7.99 after coupon)
Gremlins 2 (4.99 after coupon)
Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol (4.99 after coupon)
Nazis at the Center of the Earth (4.99 after coupon)

As someone else mentioned, they had a crap ton of 7.99 Blu's as well, so I picked up...

Friday the 13th (Original)
Sin City two-disc set
True Grit.

Very happy.
Old 07-17-12, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Schloob1
When saying this, are you referring to the fact they would not "honor" the price on the shelf tag? So right off the bat you basically admit knowing it was for the regular version, and more importantly the shelf tag I guarantee you has the sku of the regular version on it. If this is the part where you say they don't understand the law, then it looks like you are the one that does not understand the law, or are obviously trying to circumvent it yourself. Just because an item is out of stock they don't have to take the tag down now.
Here in Wisconsin the price scan has to match the price displayed on the shelf. If the shelf tag had said "Unforgiven Blu-Ray Digibook" or something like "Unforgiven Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition" I would have no argument. However it just said "Unforgiven Blu-Ray." Since it said that, and right there on the shelf were a couple of Unforgiven discs in the Blu-ray format, a reasonable person can assume that these are indeed the items referred to by that shelf tag. I should not have to do additional research on SKU numbers, which are in much smaller print than "Unforgiven Blu-Ray." I don't think the onus should be on the consumer in this case, but IANAL and I'm guessing you're not either.

They should have honored the price, thanked me for bringing it to their attention, and taken the tag down. That would be good customer service. Instead they took the tag down right in front of me and spewed the same BS as you about SKU's.

You should go work for them while they are still around (if you don't already).

As I said, I would have gladly accepted a regular version, if they had one to offer. Instead I went to another location and made my purchase. I will not go back to that location again, even though it is the closest to me.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 07-17-12 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goblin23
Here in Wisconsin the price scan has to match the price displayed on the shelf. If the shelf tag had said "Unforgiven Blu-Ray Digibook" or something like "Unforgiven Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition" I would have no argument. However it just said "Unforgiven Blu-Ray." Since it said that, and right there on the shelf were a couple of Unforgiven discs in the Blu-ray format, a reasonable person can assume that these are indeed the items referred to by that shelf tag. I should not have to do additional research on SKU numbers, which are in much smaller print than "Unforgiven Blu-Ray." I don't think the onus should be on the consumer in this case, but IANAL and I'm guessing you're not either.

They should have honored the price, thanked me for bringing it to their attention, and taken the tag down. That would be good customer service. Instead they took the tag down right in front of me and spewed the same BS as you about SKU's.

You should go work for them while they are still around (if you don't already).

As I said, I would have gladly accepted a regular version, if they had one to offer. Instead I went to another location and made my purchase. I will not go back to that location again, even though it is the closest to me.
Let me guess, were you one of those that also tried to get the Criterion edition of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas during the last sale. Since people during the last sale tried pulling the same "argument" then as well

Liked how you also try spinning it there to make it look like you are the good customer bringing the issue to their attention. Sorry man, your "additional research" would have taken all of 10 seconds. And the fact is that at least according to the website it's not like the sku's are even close to each other.

4775334 $30
8145296 $10

And guessing they will not be too upset if you don't come back to their location and go elsewhere. Because guessing they loathe us forum members any ways that partake in these sales, even though a lot of the hassles they do bring upon themselves, although in this case I don't think so.
Old 07-17-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone been able to find United 93? My store didn't have either version (regular or 100th anniversary) and wouldn't be getting anymore. I really want to get this for $6.99 ($14.99 - $5 U&S - $3 Universal 100th coupon.)
Old 07-17-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
Well, in BB's defense, the promo itself is called "upgrade and save." What would you be upgrading if you trade in a DVD for another DVD?
They should rename the program from "Upgrade and Save" to "Buy a cheap crap DVD at Dollar Tree and Save"... or why not just knock $4 off the price of BDs $9.99 and higher and save us all from buying a $1 DVD and the time/gas to go to Dollar Tree?

Speaking of which last time I went to Dollar Tree they had nothing but slim DVDs and I didn't see any 4 for $1 bins people talk about. On a previous occasion I was told at BB they didn't accept DVDs in slim cases, but considering how many people are trading those in from Dollar Tree that must've been one of those YMMV that particular employee making up his/her own rules things.
Old 07-17-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Nope. Mine didn't. I checked the other copies and none of them had it.
Thanks, trespoochies and That'sAllFolks. That supports the idea that no copies of Blade II have the movie cash since it came out after 1 & 3 which do have the movie cash.
Originally Posted by TerryAlexFan
Abraham Lincoln VS Zombies (4.99 after coupon)
Wow. Abraham Lincoln was more impressive than I thought. Not only a vampire hunter by also a zombie killer. Considering I haven't heard of the zombie movie, I doubt it's better than vampire hunter which was pretty lame (IMHO). I'm still waiting for a movie about my favorite guy... Ludwig van Beethoven: Vampire and Zombie Hunter. Uhoh. I hope nobody from Hollywood is reading here... out of fear they'd actually make such a movie.

That'sAllFolks, I can't help my curiosity. As a long time BD buyer, wouldn't you already have many of those BDs you bought for $4.99 on Sunday? At least ones like Gone with the Wind, Horton hears a Who, Ice Age 1-3, Insomnia, Knight and Day, and Sum of All Fears? I mention them because I'm pretty sure I've seen them all for $5-$8 in year(s) past, so I figured one of the advanced BD buyers like you would already own them all (like I do). I was lucky to find 7 BDs to buy with U&S. There are a bunch of others I own on DVD, but I just can't justify $5 each for the BD (+$1 to buy a trade-in DVD). Some movies (like Coma) I can only watch once every 5-10 years. Others (like the Blade movies) I could watch every couple years. Space Jam was $6.99 at Fry's (with free shipping) and I passed, so I'll wait for it to hit $5 without U&S.

Last edited by Manzana; 07-17-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 08:59 AM
vgc

Has anyone figured out the Batman preview that is supposed to be available for the Dark Knight Reborn from the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Steelbooks? I looked through both discs and found none. I did notice that on The Dark Knight Blu there was an insert for the Ultra Violet copy that stated you get the free preview. Does anyone know if you have to sign up for the Ultra Violet copy to get the preview. Seems very misleading...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.