Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Old 07-15-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Originally Posted by Surfinhank View Post
Take it back! Seriously, check out the reviews, the PQ is absolutely terrible.

I managed to get everything I was looking for, but I was at a few different stores today (SoCal) and the overall inventory is really low (most of the cases were facing out). They're not as well stocked as they were on the last few promotions.
Yikes. Apparently I should. Thanks for the tip. And it was the most expensive purchase of the day as well.
Old 07-15-12, 09:26 PM

Went to two stores. Did not find Mean Streets or Dog Day Afternoon. I'll have to hit the bigger store (Milwaukee/Mayfair Rd) on Tuesday.

Mini Manzana-type rant ...1st store had a shelf tag for Unforgiven at $9.99 but only 2 copies of the Digibook on the shelf. Tried to get them to either find me a copy of the regular version or honor the sale price on the tag. No go, but they could order it for me. This was the Fox Point store, I've had a couple issues there before but they had been good for a while. Seems they don't understand the law, much less give a crap. Oh well. (end rant)

Went to the Grafton store and picked up Unforgiven (regular version) and Meatballs for $5 each. Traded in a couple of 25 cent slim case kids DVD's from Dollar Tree. I need to find some more of those, I only have a couple left!

Thanks for the reminder on the phone eligibility coupon, illennium. Gotta do that next time and hope they let me stack.

I'm gonna go over to a friend's house and print off a couple more $3 off Universal coupons and use them for The Sting and Smokey And The Bandit.

Universal 100th titles that should work for $5 with Upgrade & Save + U100 $3 off Coupon:

American Graffiti (BD/DVD/DC)
Born On The Fourth Of July (BD/DVD/DC)
The Deer Hunter (BD/DVD)
Smokey And the Bandit(BD/DVD/DC)
The Sting(BD/DVD/DC)

$3 Off Any Universal 100th Anniversary Blu-ray
Old 07-15-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by budster7 View Post
Also, about the MI4 I bought, I just noticed that the blu-ray does not have any security seals, although it's shrink wrapped and came with the slip cover. Is this anything to worry about? Did anyone else's MI4 bluray come with security seals?
No security seal on the copy of MI4 that I picked up...

Although, some prankster put a copy of Ghostbusters in the first one that I grabbed... Not sure if I should

?
Old 07-15-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A while ago I picked up a copy of Resurrection Blvd season 1 for $4 at Blockbuster, with all five discs in their own case with their own artwork. I was able to use all five of those today so that worked out nicely. I got:

Batman Begins Steelbook
Blade II - I skipped the others, this is the only Blade movie I actually liked
Dark Knight Steelbook
Mission Impossible IV
Parenthood (wish I knew there was another coupon I could've used on this)
Old 07-15-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, for my first trip, I got...

Mission Impossible-Ghost Recall $4.99
Frequency - $4.99
Count Of Monte Cristo - $9.99
Stand By Me - $4.99
Meatballs - $4.99

Will be going back later this week for...

Batman Begins - Steelbook $4.99
The Dark Knight - Steelbook $4.99
Altered States - $4.99

...and I'm not quite sure what else yet.

I had zero issues with trade in's, or being rung up, and also got the bonus coupon for the Phone Service upgrade check.

Only title I couldn't find was BLADE, which I had them check for me, but was listed as "Zero stock, Backordered" for the store in their system. Other than that, this was the best stocked I've seen my local store on one of these sales. The other two times, I had to struggle to find things I wanted which they actually had on hand.

Might hold a couple of coupons back for the 8/7 releases of "High Fidelity" and "Grosse Point Blank", as the promotion will still be going on then. It just remains to be seen if they'll get them in on time.

Lastly, for anyone who didn't notice, or might be interested, they have pretty much all the seasons of Battlestar Gallactica on sale for $19.99 each ($14.99 with coupon) on Blu Ray.
Old 07-15-12, 10:51 PM

Brought in 5, couldn't find anything I really wanted, and most of the titles I actually did want were just lowered to $7.99 Very clever Best Buy. Also a handful of titles are available online only :/ My 3 left will probably go to waste. Ended up with Zombieland for $9.99 and Crazy Stupid Love BD/DVD Combo for $7.99
Old 07-15-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up:

Blade
Gone with the Wind
Midnight in Paris
Memento
Old 07-15-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though the store didn't seem to realize the special was going on (kept telling me it was mobile upgrade check only only despite the signs), I convinced them to let me do it and picked up:

Cedar Rapids - $4.99
MI: Ghost Protocol - $4.99
Horrible Bosses - $7.99
American Reunion - $14.99

There was a good amount of inventory still left, which was nice.
Old 07-15-12, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
Only title I couldn't find was BLADE, which I had them check for me, but was listed as "Zero stock, Backordered" for the store in their system. Other than that, this was the best stocked I've seen my local store on one of these sales. The other two times, I had to struggle to find things I wanted which they actually had on hand.

I had a similar experience with my Best Buy today. Everything was pretty easy to find except for Blade. They had a selection of Blu-rays that were about to be put on the shelves, and Blade 2 was on there, but I couldn't find Blade at all. Didn't bother asking, but if I don't see it tomorrow, I'll ask.
Old 07-16-12, 02:03 AM
Cool New Member

Took in some stuff been trying to get rid of for eons. Got the following

Ice Age
Dazed and Confused
Austin Powers
Stripes

Apparently you can only redeem 5 a day according to the CS person which is odd imho. So I will be going back on tue to redeem the rest

Tried to get Goodfellas steelbook 9.99, register says 19.99 idiot says sure you weren't seeing another movie. I go back and bring her the actual tag from the shelf, still can't get it for 9.99 wtf? Didn't feel like dragging a supervisor into it today gonna go back and get

Batman Begins
Seven
Saturday Night Fever
And hopefully goodfellas.

That will just leave me with about 3 dvd's to upgrade of stuff that's actually avail on blue ray.
Old 07-16-12, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamGott View Post
I thought it was rather horrible.. too many completely unbelievable action scenes and I think that Tom Cruise has turned into a hack, which is quite sad being that he showed so much promise in movies like Born on the Fourth of July.

My kids actually hated it too and they usually like the mindless action films more than I do.
Ha! I agreed. Just got done watching it and MI4 did not delivered for me. I was bored silly. I'd ranked them best to worst in chronological order with the first one being the best and this last one the worst. I kinda like part 2 just as much as De Palma's.
Old 07-16-12, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up:

Batman Begins Steelbook - $4.99
Dark Knight Steelbook - $4.99
MI4 - $4.99
Gremlins 2 - $4.99
Red Riding Hood - $4.99
Old 07-16-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really want the BB Exclusives Wall Street and Brothers McMullen, but they have been sitting at $25 since their stealth insertion/sale ended. No thanks.
Old 07-16-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goblin23 View Post
Went to two stores. Did not find Mean Streets or Dog Day Afternoon. I'll have to hit the bigger store (Milwaukee/Mayfair Rd) on Tuesday.

Mini Manzana-type rant ...1st store had a shelf tag for Unforgiven at $9.99 but only 2 copies of the Digibook on the shelf. Tried to get them to either find me a copy of the regular version or honor the sale price on the tag. No go, but they could order it for me. This was the Fox Point store, I've had a couple issues there before but they had been good for a while. Seems they don't understand the law, much less give a crap. Oh well. (end rant)

Went to the Grafton store and picked up Unforgiven (regular version) and Meatballs for $5 each. Traded in a couple of 25 cent slim case kids DVD's from Dollar Tree. I need to find some more of those, I only have a couple left!

[/URL]
When saying this, are you referring to the fact they would not "honor" the price on the shelf tag? So right off the bat you basically admit knowing it was for the regular version, and more importantly the shelf tag I guarantee you has the sku of the regular version on it. If this is the part where you say they don't understand the law, then it looks like you are the one that does not understand the law, or are obviously trying to circumvent it yourself. Just because an item is out of stock they don't have to take the tag down now.
Old 07-16-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up:
Ice Age
Ige Age 2
Ice Age 3d
Cedar Rapids
Black Swan (still marked incorrectly on shelf... walked out with it for $8 a/c)

Plan on going back for
Dog Day Afternoon
Mean Streets
Old 07-16-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank View Post
Take [The Color of Money] back! Seriously, check out the reviews, the PQ is absolutely terrible.
Thanks, I bought it yesterday. I checked out the reviews and you are right. I'm taking it back. Might as well stick with a crappy DVD until a good BD is released.
Old 07-16-12, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Received 502 Likes on 395 Posts

Picked up for $5:
Blade II
Altered States
Coma
Raging Bull
Mean Streets
Van Helsing
Insomnia
Batman Begins (steelbook)
The Dark Knight (steelbook)

Picked up for $7.99
The Hunt for Red October
A Perfect World (Fry's pickup)

Picked up for $9.99
Barbarella
Outland (Fry's pickup)

I need to pickup Frequency, Dog Day Afternoon, and Get the Gringo tomorrow.
Old 07-16-12, 11:34 AM

Do you have to trade in the DVDs as soon as you get there or can you pick up your blu-rays first, then go get the coupons? I wasn't able to find cheap DVDs at my local dollar store, so I'm thinking about trading my DVDs of the movies I'd be getting on blu, but I don't want to trade them first and then find out they don't have the blus in stock.
Old 07-16-12, 11:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Take The Color of Money back! Seriously, check out the reviews, the PQ is absolutely terrible.

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Thanks, I bought it yesterday. I checked out the reviews and you are right. I'm taking it back. Might as well stick with a crappy DVD until a good BD is released.
Unfortunately, I bought it when it came out and watched it before I read the reviews...

The least I can do is try to keep others from suffering my fate...
Old 07-16-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Traded in 3 foreign movies today with no issues. Thanks guys.

What about trading in a boxset? Something where multiple movies/discs are stored in one clamshell. Will they just give one coupon, or one per movie?
Old 07-16-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post

What about trading in a boxset? Something where multiple movies/discs are stored in one clamshell. Will they just give one coupon, or one per movie?
I traded in Lost Season 1 that I got from blockbuster a long while ago (got the complete blu set handful of months ago) and the guy asked if I wanted to do the trade because I'd only get one coupon.
Old 07-16-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbender View Post
Do you have to trade in the DVDs as soon as you get there or can you pick up your blu-rays first, then go get the coupons? I wasn't able to find cheap DVDs at my local dollar store, so I'm thinking about trading my DVDs of the movies I'd be getting on blu, but I don't want to trade them first and then find out they don't have the blus in stock.
I always have the greeter(Loss Prevention) put stickers on my DVDs and then head over to the Blu-ray section. I grab the titles that I want and do the whole transaction at customer service in one fell swoop.
Old 07-16-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James View Post
I always have the greeter(Loss Prevention) put stickers on my DVDs and then head over to the Blu-ray section. I grab the titles that I want and do the whole transaction at customer service in one fell swoop.
Something similar with me... I usually go in and pick out the blu rays I want. Then I leave them with the greeter and pick up my dvds from my car. When I come back in, I take both stacks to customer service.
Old 07-16-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post

From my experience, you get one coupon per "item". Take for example, the old Superman boxset that had the four movies in individual amarays. You'd get one coupon for the set, or four coupons if you kept the slipcase in the car.
Old 07-16-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post
From my experience, you get one coupon per "item". Take for example, the old Superman boxset that had the four movies in individual amarays. You'd get one coupon for the set, or four coupons if you kept the slipcase in the car.
Gotcha, I kind of figured that would be the case. Dammit, I wanted to get rid of my X-men 1/2 set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.