Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 07:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Originally Posted by Larry C.
anyone try to get the coupon to work with a total recall mind bending addition?
I thought this was $7.99 in store, therefore the U&S coupon wouldn't apply? My usual store didn't have any in stock.
Old 08-02-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Yes.

Part b of the assumed followup -- No.
I must be really charming. I took it up to the girl in CS. It had a $9.99 sticker on it. She informed me it wasn't eligible. I said my mistake it says $9.99 on the cover and told her if there was anyway she could hold my selected movies while I go scrounge for another on and she said don't worry and got an override. Nice.
Old 08-02-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I thought this was $7.99 in store, therefore the U&S coupon wouldn't apply? My usual store didn't have any in stock.
It is $7.99 this week. Starting on Sunday, you'll be able to get it for $4.99 with the U&S coupon.
Old 08-02-12, 07:14 PM
Banned by request

Got it, thanks.
Old 08-02-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
The solution is simple.
Don't buy things you don't intend on keeping.
I intended to keep it at the time, and actually I still have it. The real story is I bought a BD for $12.99 - $5 U&S trade-in = $7.99. Then the following week Fry's had the same BD for $7.99, so I had effectively wasted my $5 U&S coupon. I first asked if I could simply get another coupon to make up for that price drop (and was told no) followed by can I return it for $7.99 and get my coupon back (and was told no again). As I can't really predict the future of price changes, it's impossible to be 100% certain I will keep anything until my return period is over.

Kenbenobi said he had BB employees give him replacement coupons, so once again that shows it's mainly my nearest store with the deny-whenever-possible attitude. I should really say it's the same 4 or 5 hardnosed employees who are the great denyers. There's a cool guy there who I bet would've given me a coupon, but unfortunately I rarely see him.

Sotra, thanks for the info on Gulliver's Travels... now I'm bummed that I believed the price tag I saw yesterday which was higher than $19.99. I would've picked it up for $19.99 - $5 coupon because (unfortunately) it's rare that 3D BDs sell for less than $15. The only 3 exceptions I recall are... HP and the Deathly Hallows 1 & 2 for $9.99 at BB and Hoodwinked Too under $10 somewhere on the net. Everything else I've paid $15-$20ish. (So watch if I buy it and use an U&S coupon that Fry's will have it for $14.99 the following week and I'll have the same issue.)

Does anyone know if Gulliver's Travels 3D BD price of $19.99 ends this Saturday or is supposed to last through next week?
Old 08-02-12, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Whatever kids. I was straight up pointing out the sale of MI 4. If Sith can't read correctly, that's not my issue. Not sure what your issue is duckboi.
No issue, just saying that the semi-rude sarcasm towards Sith wasn't necessary just because he made a mistake. And neither is the condescending tone of "Whatever kids."

But if either of my observations are inaccurate, my apologies.
Old 08-02-12, 08:45 PM
Banned by request

Accepted. Now let's continue back on topic.
Old 08-02-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Excellent. A few reports of similar nature, but most folks have been denied though seems odd if it's just going to cause people to do the return next week if it's worth the extra $3
If she would have said NO I would have just asked her to put down to $4.99 and take the loss of $3 of the coupon. It's getting harder and harder to find BDs I can take advantage of.
Old 08-02-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Well, there is this coming, which has an exclusive bonus disc. Once again, those of us who bought the individual releases get screwed.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=90907
Screwed out of paying a premium for an oversized package and bonus disk you may watch once
Old 08-02-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Screwed out of paying a premium for an oversized package and bonus disk you may watch once
The 3D ones are always worth multiple views, to show off when company comes over... But no, I will not be purchasing that thing. Some box sets, like the James Bond one, will force me to re-buy titles I already own, just to get the movies which haven't been released yet. But not for just a bonus disc... Heck no!
Old 08-02-12, 10:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so i got the $5.00 coupons and a reciept that i took to the register. there was 4 in total and all stapled together.

i used two of them, but she gave me back the coupons in tact and still stapled, so i still have all 4.

are the two she scanned still good or because they were scanned they would be invalid now?

thanks.
Old 08-02-12, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so i got the $5.00 coupons and a reciept that i took to the register. there was 4 in total and all stapled together.

i used two of them, but she gave me back the coupons in tact and still stapled, so i still have all 4.

are the two she scanned still good or because they were scanned they would be invalid now?

thanks.
You can use them over and over until they take them. They're generic barcodes...not unique. Congrats, you just got 2 free coupons.
Old 08-02-12, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
From your picture and looking online, the Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows BD on sale for $12.99 is the single BD edition? The BD + DVD + digital copy edition is still far more expensive in-store, right?

On an unrelated note (but related to BB), does BB.com pricematch other retailers like Fry's if you call them up? Unfortunately Singin' in the Rain BD is nowhere to be found at any B&M store in my area (BB, Target, and Walmart) except Fry's and I'm trying to avoid driving to Fry's.
sorry for responding late. the sherlock homes: game of shados bd on sale for 12.99 with the coupon its 7.99 and its the single bd edition. the bd plus dvd plus digital copy edition is indeed more expensive.
Old 08-03-12, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My entire point in posting was not to relay yet another instance of this store being uncooperative (that's a given just like Big Lots and Sam's Club having crappy DVD selections now) but to ask if others have had problems returning (or price adjusting) items with U&S coupons. I was curious what the actual policy was since the coupon wording doesn't mention returns or price adjustments. I'd be more than happy to return an item I used U&S on, pick another and have them apply the U&S, but as I said this store won't do anything to help.
I have had lots of success getting them to refund me money if their price goes down (but stays above $9.99) and I bought with an U&S. I have had slight but not consistant success getting them to pricematch another store during the initial purchase, as the U&S doesn't work with a price adjustment and requires a manual override. Haven't tried to return an item bought with an U&S.
Old 08-03-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Why would that be appropriate? It was a form of payment, like a reward zone certificate. You gave them a dvd, they gave you a voucher for $5 off. If they're not going to return the dvd you traded, they should return the voucher. Would this float the other way? You buy a 2 disc edition of something, return it with the special features disc missing and they happily give you a full refund?
Because this isn't a manufacturer's coupon that the store is getting reimbursed for. This is a store coupon or a promo Best Buy is offering. In no way should they be required to refund you a coupon. That is ludicrous. Target doesn't do that for their in store coupons. No retailer does.

A manufacturer coupon that the store is getting back from Disney or whoever is completely different. In that case the store should pay you back your purchase price PLUS the coupon amount because that is what they are getting back from the manufacturer.
Old 08-03-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
Because this isn't a manufacturer's coupon that the store is getting reimbursed for. This is a store coupon or a promo Best Buy is offering. In no way should they be required to refund you a coupon. That is ludicrous. Target doesn't do that for their in store coupons. No retailer does.

A manufacturer coupon that the store is getting back from Disney or whoever is completely different. In that case the store should pay you back your purchase price PLUS the coupon amount because that is what they are getting back from the manufacturer.
I guess we agree to disagree then, as I see absolutely no reason a voucher shouldn't be given upon a return as long as the promotion is still in effect. As for reimbursement, the store has the product you initially traded in for the voucher, so there is that to consider, as well as things like the Target policy of not giving you a store coupon back having not had the consumer trade in a product to get said coupon.

In the end, as with most Best Buy returns/exchanges, it all boils down to whoever you get at the customer service. I've had one manager tell me that I couldn't even do a price guarantee with an U&S on the receipt, while another processed it correctly and easily.
Old 08-03-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I intended to keep it at the time, and actually I still have it. The real story is I bought a BD for $12.99 - $5 U&S trade-in = $7.99. Then the following week Fry's had the same BD for $7.99, so I had effectively wasted my $5 U&S coupon. I first asked if I could simply get another coupon to make up for that price drop (and was told no) followed by can I return it for $7.99 and get my coupon back (and was told no again). As I can't really predict the future of price changes, it's impossible to be 100% certain I will keep anything until my return period is over.
I never deal with the post-purchase price-matching. It seems like such a hassle to do, and I just chalk things up to life being life. Hell, during the last U&S, I think I had three coupons left over at the end. Did I feel pissed off that I essentially gave BB three of my dvds? Not really. I ended up freeing up some shelf space, and learned a lesson that I should find the blu-rays I want to get before turning over my dvds at customer service.

If you spend all your time looking for a cheaper price on every little thing, then you might as well not ever buy anything. Everything you've purchased (with some exceptions) will always be found cheaper later on down the road. Just buy things at the price point you're comfortable paying for something, and enjoy it. If it's a lower price later, then you shouldn't get bent out of shape if the original price you paid was reasonable enough for you to make the purchase in the first place.
Old 08-03-12, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I never deal with the post-purchase price-matching. It seems like such a hassle to do, and I just chalk things up to life being life. Hell, during the last U&S, I think I had three coupons left over at the end. Did I feel pissed off that I essentially gave BB three of my dvds? Not really. I ended up freeing up some shelf space, and learned a lesson that I should find the blu-rays I want to get before turning over my dvds at customer service.

If you spend all your time looking for a cheaper price on every little thing, then you might as well not ever buy anything. Everything you've purchased (with some exceptions) will always be found cheaper later on down the road. Just buy things at the price point you're comfortable paying for something, and enjoy it. If it's a lower price later, then you shouldn't get bent out of shape if the original price you paid was reasonable enough for you to make the purchase in the first place.
100 percent absolutely agree. Well said. Most of us here on the forums get some really awesome deals (myself included). But for every awesome deal, I've probably paid $5 more on something else that I shouldn't have. The most it gets from me anymore is an Awwww shucks. It's life .
Old 08-03-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great post, Shagrath! I completely agree. It's impossible to score the best price everytime out. The idea is to maximize savings when you can so as to offset the deals you miss out on or those that never were. Allow yourself a minimum of human nature regret and then move on.
Old 08-03-12, 02:36 PM

^^
Terrific attitude! Could not agree more...
Old 08-03-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Got the new Total Recall today. There was two of them. They rang up 7.99 but are stickered at 9.99 so a good chance they will be that price before the trade and save is over.
Old 08-03-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Got the new Total Recall today. There was two of them. They rang up 7.99 but are stickered at 9.99 so a good chance they will be that price before the trade and save is over.
No need to speculate, it is in next week's ad for $4.99 after the U&S coupon.
Old 08-03-12, 05:47 PM

I went to best buy today, i had saved one of the upgrade and save coupons and took in another dvd. after they gave me my other coupon i was walking and this lady stop me and ask me if i wanted to take a survey and she was like there is no right and wrong answers. I took the survery and she gave me a 10 dollar best buy gift card just for taking the survey. i got both of these for 078.cents

Old 08-03-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

What location was that?
Old 08-03-12, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
What location was that?
in south philadelaphia

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.