Reload this Page >

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Old 07-22-12, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Jul 15 - Aug 11, 2012

Originally Posted by stormrider81 View Post
I used my 5 U&S coupons. Got home, opened the best buy bag and saw them attached to my receipt. Would I be able to still use them again? or are they no longer valid?
As long as they didn't cross them out on your receipt, yes you can. This happened to me several times during the last sale and I used them multiple times. Even if they did cross them out, you may be able to remove them from your receipt next time you go in and just use the coupons. I tried both ways last time and was able to use them (with and without the receipt).
Old 07-22-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I noticed the BB exclusive M:I 4 GP is now 9.99. Did this just start today?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mission+...&skuId=4947863
Yes.
Old 07-22-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhanlen1 View Post
When I recently asked and was told "No" about trading in HD0DVDs at Best Buy, the cashier said that the place they sold them to wouldn't accept HD-DVDs and that the store had to throw them away. So they seem to be selling them to a third party, which makes the recycling theory seem a little less likely. Who knows for sure, but I am curious what exactly is becoming of these DVDs. I'm assuming the profit margins on Blu-ray aren't that great for B&M stores, so taking $5 off Blu-rays doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from a financial perspective. So I'm thinking there has to be some sort of financial incentive for Best Buy running this program, and I'm wondering what makes all these DVD's worth that money and who is really paying for it.
I'd like to know what happens to them too. When I've asked a couple times, employees have told me they get ground up and recycled. You're saying they told you they get sold to a reseller place (I'd love to know for how much) which I'd think is a little more likely because it's better to get something than nothing for them, but can you imagine all of the junk Dollar Tree titles that reseller place has to deal with?

We need a BB employee who has knowledge where the trade-in DVDs go. Does a truck come and pick them up and where is the package addressed to?

I probably have to go to BB again today... I was hoping to see a list of new $9.99 BDs for this week before I went. I sure don't see anything interesting in their ad, and I don't have time to go through all of their BDs online every Sunday trying to spot something different.

And while blabbing... is it now official policy that you can PM a BD to $9.99 and then use the U&S $5 coupon on it from a trade-in? I've always been told no, but yesterday (after I had traded-in my stuff and didn't have any more) a CS employee told me it was allowed because the coupon says it's off "sales and promo prices". However, my nearest store has always said it can't be done. I'm thinking it's probably just this particular employee rather than official BB policy (though even if it is my nearest store would probably say no). It's weird but it seems the further the BB is from my nearest store, the more flexible they are, and this one was 20 miles away and very nice.
Old 07-22-12, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
I'd like to know what happens to them too. When I've asked a couple times, employees have told me they get ground up and recycled. You're saying they told you they get sold to a reseller place (I'd love to know for how much) which I'd think is a little more likely because it's better to get something than nothing for them, but can you imagine all of the junk Dollar Tree titles that reseller place has to deal with?

We need a BB employee who has knowledge where the trade-in DVDs go. Does a truck come and pick them up and where is the package addressed to?

I probably have to go to BB again today... I was hoping to see a list of new $9.99 BDs for this week before I went. I sure don't see anything interesting in their ad, and I don't have time to go through all of their BDs online every Sunday trying to spot something different.

And while blabbing... is it now official policy that you can PM a BD to $9.99 and then use the U&S $5 coupon on it from a trade-in? I've always been told no, but yesterday (after I had traded-in my stuff and didn't have any more) a CS employee told me it was allowed because the coupon sales it's off "sales and promo prices". However, my nearest store has always said it can't be done. I'm thinking it's probably just this particular employee rather than official BB policy (though even if it is my nearest store would probably say no).

Well they very reluctantly did this for the B&N Criterion prices. The manager said they weren't really supposed to. I know for certain that coupon can't be stacked in the system, and a manger has to do a manual override and has to adjust the price to the full discount. Because they tried making the title 19.99 and scanning the coupon for me, and it didn't apply the $5 discount, so the manager had to enter his password and adjust the price a second time and make them $14.99

This was last week.

And yeah, if someone finds out what's happening to the discs I'd love to hear it. I have yet to hear an answer that makes logical sense to me.
Old 07-22-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
Looks like last week's $9.99 Warner titles are all $14.99 now...not just the new releases like Coma, Altered States, etc. but the older ones like Dog Day Afternoon as well.
Yeah, noticed the tags said ended on 7/21, so I bought all of the ones I wanted last week.
Old 07-22-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they very reluctantly did this for the B&N Criterion prices. The manager said they weren't really supposed to. I know for certain that coupon can't be stacked in the system, and a manger has to do a manual override and has to adjust the price to the full discount. Because they tried making the title 19.99 and scanning the coupon for me, and it didn't apply the $5 discount, so the manager had to enter his password and adjust the price a second time and make them $14.99
This is not true. I went in last week to pick up some titles, and before I traded in asked if I could do a price match and also use an U&S coupon. The lady at the CS counter said no, and I politely said "I didn't figure as much, but thought I'd try". I wanted to use the price match on a Criterion. So I grabbed 5 blu's, and a Criterion and went back to CS, since I was just going to PM the Criterion to save myself a trip to B&N. I told the same lady that I was gonna use the U&S on the 5 $9.99 blu's, and then I just wanted to PM the Criterion to B&N. She went and double-checked the price, came back, and did the price adjustment and started to ring me up. She then noticed that it took a U&S off off of the Criterion. So she said she'd have to do the two transactions separately in order to NOT allow the system to use a U&S coupon on a pricematch.

I'm pretty sure this shows that the system will allow it with no problems. However, the people at CS that do the pricematches don't want it to be done for whatever reason, as if they have a stake in the company's financials or something. I've always been of the school that if the system allows it, and it's not an obvious scam (free merchandise), then it's meant to be allowed, or someone higher up the food chain screwed up (people coding the POS system).
Old 07-22-12, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath View Post
This is not true. I went in last week to pick up some titles, and before I traded in asked if I could do a price match and also use an U&S coupon. The lady at the CS counter said no, and I politely said "I didn't figure as much, but thought I'd try". I wanted to use the price match on a Criterion. So I grabbed 5 blu's, and a Criterion and went back to CS, since I was just going to PM the Criterion to save myself a trip to B&N. I told the same lady that I was gonna use the U&S on the 5 $9.99 blu's, and then I just wanted to PM the Criterion to B&N. She went and double-checked the price, came back, and did the price adjustment and started to ring me up. She then noticed that it took a U&S off off of the Criterion. So she said she'd have to do the two transactions separately in order to NOT allow the system to use a U&S coupon on a pricematch.

I'm pretty sure this shows that the system will allow it with no problems. However, the people at CS that do the pricematches don't want it to be done for whatever reason, as if they have a stake in the company's financials or something. I've always been of the school that if the system allows it, and it's not an obvious scam (free merchandise), then it's meant to be allowed, or someone higher up the food chain screwed up (people coding the POS system).

You had a different experience than me then. Here's exactly what transpired. Mind you this was a regular old cashier, and it didn't take place at customer service. Maybe the permissions are different?

The cashier had the manager change the price to 19.99 for 2 of my Blus. Then he scanned the coupons after the manager adjusted the price. The two coupons rang up, but did not take off an additional $5 off the adjusted $19.99. The manager then had to walk back over and reenter his password and manually adjust them to $14.99. I watched the screen the entire time. I'm pretty sure this is YMMV, as not many people in this thread have gotten Criterions. Post #226 says it didn't work for him. Post #315 also describes the managers having to perform an override, just like what happened to me.

Sorry but I'm not making this up.
Old 07-22-12, 10:29 AM
Cool New Member

I went last night & noticed quite a few I wanted, since the Universal sale goes until 8/4 I let To Kill aMockingbird go (even though that's why I went to the store in the first place) & picked up Warner's titles that I wanted, but whose price would likely change sooner:

Altered States 4.99
Gone With The Wind 4.99 (present for mom)
Mean Streets 4.99
Full Metal Jacket 4.99

and then saw Dirty Pretty Things for 5.99 & picked that up too.
Old 07-22-12, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James View Post
Yes.
I need to find my receipt. I paid $14.99 for that, but didn't watch it yet.
Old 07-22-12, 10:46 AM

Manzana,

They are recycled with the electronics recycling in the same container and shipment. I would find it unlikely they wind up being resold, as most have no value, it would not be worth it to inventory, price, and attempt to sell. My guess is that they go into the plastic recycling pile once they arrive there. The promotion very clearly states DVD's so you should not be upset or feel cheated that they wont take your HD-DVD's... as they say... YMMV... there is always someone willing to bend or break the rules, just maybe not in your area, store, etc.

Last edited by JoN8282; 07-22-12 at 10:47 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-22-12, 10:49 AM

You had a different experience than me then. Here's exactly what transpired. Mind you this was a regular old cashier, and it didn't take place at customer service. Maybe the permissions are different?

The cashier had the manager change the price to 19.99 for 2 of my Blus. Then he scanned the coupons after the manager adjusted the price. The two coupons rang up, but did not take off an additional $5 off the adjusted $19.99. The manager then had to walk back over and reenter his password and manually adjust them to $14.99. I watched the screen the entire time. I'm pretty sure this is YMMV, as not many people in this thread have gotten Criterions. Post #226 says it didn't work for him. Post #315 also describes the managers having to perform an override, just like what happened to me.

Sorry but I'm not making this up.
What you just described was a manager bending the rules for you... YMMV.. he manually changed the price the whole way, the coupon was never needed by the computer for what transpired.
Old 07-22-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I noticed the BB exclusive M:I 4 GP is now 9.99. Did this just start today?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mission+...&skuId=4947863
Jeez, and they gave so much hassle if we tried to get it last week. I watched the extras disc last night and it's pretty cool, but I think they just moved the ones off the original disc in order to pad it out.

EDIT: This review lays out the differences between the 2 and 3-disc editions as to what extras are missing. I doubt that they reencoded the transfer for all the extra space left over on the 2-disc set's feature disc when the extras were moved over.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 07-22-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-22-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had no problems trading in 3 HD-DVDs yesterday. If they said anything, I was going to point them to this thread on the official Best Buy forums that states that HD-DVDs should be allowed to be traded in with no problems.
Old 07-22-12, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JoN8282 View Post
What you just described was a manager bending the rules for you... YMMV.. he manually changed the price the whole way, the coupon was never needed by the computer for what transpired.
Yeah, I know what happened. The point of that post was to illustrate he had to do a manual price change, after the coupon didn't work with his initial price match. I said in the post it's YMMV. There's a reason you don't see a whole lot of $15 Criterions posted in this thread. That whole post was in response to someone saying what happened to me wasn't true.

I posted several pages back when I initially got that deal, that the manager said "We really shouldn't do this."
Old 07-22-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Jeez, and they gave so much hassle if we tried to get it last week..
no kidding right. Jerks.
Old 07-22-12, 12:05 PM

Going in today for Rio and Megamind on 3D. My coupon has a expiration date of 7/21 but hopefully they don't give me any problems.
Old 07-22-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by -BeeJay- View Post
Going in today for Rio and Megamind on 3D. My coupon has a expiration date of 7/21 but hopefully they don't give me any problems.
I was given a few of those yesterday when they ran out of the normal ones. They said it'd be fine.

Bullshit.
They just refused to honor them and then kept them so I couldn't try somewhere else.
Old 07-22-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Get the Gringo $15 (should have been $13)
Safe House $15
Puss n Boots 3D $15

Get the Gringo had a shelf tag for $17.99, so I walked the cashier over to show him....he said he adjusted it but when I later looked at the receipt the coupon only took $3 off instead of $5. That little punk! I don't hassle over $2 but it's still irritating.
Old 07-22-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking over the list of $5-$10 titles on the site looks like some titles that were $13 last week (e.g. Super 8) are $8 now, so it's the same price, but you can save the coupon. A lot of familiar titles and slim pickings, so I'll probably go with Black Hawk Down and Resident Evil: Extinction for $5 AC and Super 8 straight up. Save my third coupon for Star Trek: TNG S1.
Old 07-22-12, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
I was given a few of those yesterday when they ran out of the normal ones. They said it'd be fine.

Bullshit.
They just refused to honor them and then kept them so I couldn't try somewhere else.
Yeah, the chick at CS said they use the same coupons so I'd be fine but when I went to the register to pay the coupon wouldn't register (obviously, it was expired). They gave me four new coupons though so I was able to use two of those. I just hope next time I go to use the other two, they don't hassle me since they're not attached to a receipt because the last time this promotion was going they told me they'd only take the coupons if they're attached to the trade in receipt.
Old 07-22-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Kind of sucks to hear that all those DVDs are being recycled as scrap. But, as said earlier, for all intents and purposes, most of them are worthless in the secondary market. So I guess Best Buy must make more recycling the DVD scrap than trying to sell them to secondary wholesellers?

Makes me wonder if I really want to dump anymore DVDs. I would have liked to have seen Best Buy donate them to charity and maybe take a tax write off.
Old 07-22-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt they care if they can sell the used dvd's or get $ recycling them. Their goal with these sales it to get people into the stores and to spend $ on items they wouldn't normally get and hopefully buy other items as well.
Old 07-22-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Just back from trip 2, where I got these for $4.99

Babe
Coraline
Batman Begins
Maverick
Old 07-22-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
I highly doubt they care if they can sell the used dvd's or get $ recycling them. Their goal with these sales it to get people into the stores and to spend $ on items they wouldn't normally get and hopefully buy other items as well.
Yeah I know. Best Buy takes losses on the BD's and all the entertainment media, so hopefully someone will walk in and buy a new TV, Fridge or computer where the store actually makes it's real money.
Old 07-22-12, 04:43 PM

Traded in a 25 cent Dollar Tree disc and the Strike Back sampler I paid 1 cent for, plus I was able to exchange my expired $5 mobile phone coupon for an Upgrade and Save coupon.

Picked up:
Flash Gordon $5
The Fifth Element (Remastered) $5
The Sting (BD/DVD/DC) $5 after u&S and Universal 100th $3 off

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.