Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Old 08-07-13, 12:23 AM
  #176  
Senior Member
 
Surfinhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 913
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

This is on sale again, a little cheaper: 25.86

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Cl...g=bluraycom-21
Old 12-13-13, 05:31 PM
  #177  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

I waffled over buying the US or UK version, and finally decided on the US version. It was more expensive, yes, but it has far better looking packaging, and it had a commentary that was missing from the UK version. I had heard the complaints about how the discs were packaged inside, but this YouTube video linked from the DVD Talk review convinced me that there wasn't much to be worried about.

I was wrong. The packaging, in my case at least, is fucking horrendous. The glue holding the cardboard sleeves together has almost completely lost its integrity, and every single disc had fallen so far back into the sleeve that I had to dig it out. The glue had come completely apart on one of the sleeves, causing the disc to fall through the bottom.

Worst of all, nearly every disc is scratched and scuffed. Nothing too severe, but I have enough experience with the tiniest of scratches fucking up the playability of Blu-rays that I'll be shocked if any of them play from start to finish without any skipping or crashing. I have a long road ahead of me watching these movies, not because I'm in the mood to watch them right now but just to see if they work, and I see long e-mail exchanges with Universal over disc replacements in my future.

Long story short, heed the warning that I ignored, and buy the UK version. There's no fucking way it can be as bad as the US version.
Old 12-20-13, 09:25 AM
  #178  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,336
Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

This is currently on sale for a new low of 18, which comes to about $30 shipped to the USA.
Old 12-20-13, 11:26 AM
  #179  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 2,458
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Yea I finally bit at this price-thanks OP and Joltman
Old 12-20-13, 12:55 PM
  #180  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,269
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
I waffled over buying the US or UK version, and finally decided on the US version. It was more expensive, yes, but it has far better looking packaging, and it had a commentary that was missing from the UK version. I had heard the complaints about how the discs were packaged inside, but this YouTube video linked from the DVD Talk review convinced me that there wasn't much to be worried about.

I was wrong. The packaging, in my case at least, is fucking horrendous. The glue holding the cardboard sleeves together has almost completely lost its integrity, and every single disc had fallen so far back into the sleeve that I had to dig it out. The glue had come completely apart on one of the sleeves, causing the disc to fall through the bottom.

Worst of all, nearly every disc is scratched and scuffed. Nothing too severe, but I have enough experience with the tiniest of scratches fucking up the playability of Blu-rays that I'll be shocked if any of them play from start to finish without any skipping or crashing. I have a long road ahead of me watching these movies, not because I'm in the mood to watch them right now but just to see if they work, and I see long e-mail exchanges with Universal over disc replacements in my future.

Long story short, heed the warning that I ignored, and buy the UK version. There's no fucking way it can be as bad as the US version.
and its not. The UK version's packaging may not look as slick as the US packaging but there is nothing wrong in it. I did have a floater (I recall) but the protective layer of BD discs playable surface is far more resilient to scratches and scuffs than DVD's. Just take a soft cloth and wipe it off and you are good - it takes some serious impact to cause damage to BD discs. And the UK packaging is not limiting in any way. So I agree with you, there's no reason to diss the UK version for packaging - great movies, great restoration and a great price. The US should really revisit pricing - am not a guru on it but I have no idea why there needs to be this much of a price difference.
Old 12-20-13, 02:13 PM
  #181  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,656
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
This is currently on sale for a new low of 18, which comes to about $30 shipped to the USA.
Damn, that's cheap! Amazon UK does a much better job of lower prices on box sets...
Old 12-20-13, 04:26 PM
  #182  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
bacigalup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Where Mario's son resigned
Posts: 1,538
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Had to pick this up. My first Amazon.co.uk purchase!
Old 12-20-13, 04:57 PM
  #183  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
the protective layer of BD discs playable surface is far more resilient to scratches and scuffs than DVD's. Just take a soft cloth and wipe it off and you are good - it takes some serious impact to cause damage to BD discs.
Unfortunately, the scratches and nicks causes by the terrible packaging are not inconsequential little things that can be wiped off. I've tried with my very nice microfiber cloth, even though I knew it would be futile, and I was right. I've strongly considered just gritting my teeth and buying the UK set, but I would feel like a huge asshole if I rewarded Universal's bullshit by giving them more money. I think for the time being, I'm just going to bombard their customer service department with requests for replacement discs. I shouldn't have to pay a penny for them.

EDIT: Hoo boy, check this out:



Worthless. Universal can fuck off. I'm not buying another damn thing with their logo on it.
Old 12-20-13, 06:28 PM
  #184  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,873
Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
This is currently on sale for a new low of 18, which comes to about $30 shipped to the USA.
Thanks, finally decided to purchase this box set.
Old 12-20-13, 06:42 PM
  #185  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by Jory View Post

Worthless. Universal can fuck off. I'm not buying another damn thing with their logo on it.
Nothing reveals Universal's character as a company more than that fucking, self-aggrandizing, 30 second long intro they tack onto ever single movie they release on DVD. Doesn't matter if it's a recent release, Bride Of Frankenstein, or a 30-minute episode from Dragnet S1, they make damn good and sure you don't miss who owns that property. (and, of course, the original Universal logo that was part of the movie appears right after, so it was totally unneccesary). I hate those fuckers.

So of course I bit on the set. Maybe the UK doesn't allow tampering with the original releases and there won't be any horns and light show screwing with the atmosphere of the start of the movie.
Old 12-20-13, 07:08 PM
  #186  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,269
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by hilts View Post
Nothing reveals Universal's character as a company more than that fucking, self-aggrandizing, 30 second long intro they tack onto ever single movie they release on DVD. Doesn't matter if it's a recent release, Bride Of Frankenstein, or a 30-minute episode from Dragnet S1, they make damn good and sure you don't miss who owns that property. (and, of course, the original Universal logo that was part of the movie appears right after, so it was totally unneccesary). I hate those fuckers.

So of course I bit on the set. Maybe the UK doesn't allow tampering with the original releases and there won't be any horns and light show screwing with the atmosphere of the start of the movie.
Pop the Dracula disc in and be prepared for a 3 minute Universal propaganda prior to feature start !! Thankfully, it can be FFed :-)
Old 12-20-13, 08:05 PM
  #187  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,031
Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

For those interested, the UK set is at 18.00GBP right now.
Old 12-20-13, 11:40 PM
  #188  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

so the UK set is missing a commentary?
Old 12-20-13, 11:47 PM
  #189  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat View Post
so the UK set is missing a commentary?
Yes. The first one with David Skal (from the 1999 DVD, I assume) is there, but the second one with Steve Haberman is missing.
Old 12-23-13, 09:48 AM
  #190  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
beebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Received a 10 off 50 coupon from Amazon.co.uk. Almost pays for shipping. With the 3/17, 2/10, January Sale deals, plus all sorts of rock-bottom pricing over there it is looking easy to put together the rest of the order and score another 5-6 off.
Old 12-24-13, 08:25 AM
  #191  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by beebs View Post
Received a 10 off 50 coupon from Amazon.co.uk. Almost pays for shipping. With the 3/17, 2/10, January Sale deals, plus all sorts of rock-bottom pricing over there it is looking easy to put together the rest of the order and score another 5-6 off.
Does it appear to be a unique code? If not, could it be shared? thanks
Old 12-24-13, 08:56 AM
  #192  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 1,060
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

18 GBP? Couldn't resist! Ended up getting Land of the Giants too. Been eyeballing that set for years but just couldn't pull the trigger on the US set.

I'm not entirely sure I want to get rid of my Monster Legacy Gift Set.
Old 12-24-13, 10:08 AM
  #193  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,269
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
18 GBP? Couldn't resist! Ended up getting Land of the Giants too. Been eyeballing that set for years but just couldn't pull the trigger on the US set.

I'm not entirely sure I want to get rid of my Monster Legacy Gift Set.
don't get rid of the Monsters Gift set. The bonus movies are nowhere to be found on the Blu set. And its not like its a HUGE improvement over the Legacy set's remastered content. But for some of the encoding manufacturing defects on the legacy set, its totally worth it. Completed all the Dracula movies from the legacy set y'day and they are brilliant. I sold my unopened legacy gift set for a big profit which I put towards the Blu set but regretted after getting the latter. now am individually assembling the legacy set titles. Can anyone chip in with their opinion as to whether the individual releases of the bonus movies on the legacy titles suffer from the same manufacturing defects of the legacy sets' two sided DVDs ? thanks
Old 12-24-13, 11:35 AM
  #194  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,498
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Can someone change the thread title. This is a pretty amazing deal on this set.
Old 12-24-13, 01:28 PM
  #195  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,834
Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

I own the UK set. The one & only thing that pisses me off is that Zoom is defeated, so I'm stuck with Window boxing on my full screen tv. There is absolutely no advantage to Universal in defeating zoom.

Other than that, the set is superb. Dracula is especially a huge upgrade from any other version out there.
Old 12-24-13, 10:50 PM
  #196  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
beebs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,766
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes View Post
Does it appear to be a unique code? If not, could it be shared? thanks
Unique code I think. Welcome to try it.
BNEM-2PMJ9N-NTHGEA
Old 12-26-13, 12:55 PM
  #197  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
cgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Grabbed the set. Thanks for the heads up. I agree thread title could be changed, or make a new thread. This price is about 1/2 of the original deal posting. Hot!
Old 12-26-13, 02:47 PM
  #198  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
bacigalup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Where Mario's son resigned
Posts: 1,538
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by bacigalup View Post
Had to pick this up. My first Amazon.co.uk purchase!
WOW! Just received my set this afternoon. Did not expect it until after the new year.
Old 12-31-13, 02:18 PM
  #199  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
kahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,873
Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by bacigalup View Post
WOW! Just received my set this afternoon. Did not expect it until after the new year.
Also received my set. Ordered 12/20/13, shipped 12/21/13, & arrived on 12/27/13. It's been a while since I ordered from them but that was quick.
Old 01-21-14, 08:15 AM
  #200  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters 34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

That's a fantastic deal! Thank you.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.