Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Universal Monsters £34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Universal Monsters £34.32 from Amazon.co.uk Shipped to US

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, they seem to have gone all out for the Universal Monsters set. Get a gander of this Coffin set. It's only $12 (U.S.) more than the regular boxed set. It comes to about $63 shipped to the U.S. I'll be getting this for sure!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Cl...4183775&sr=8-1
For some reason the coffin box doesn't appeal to me. I prefer their normal box set.

Last edited by Pizza; 08-05-12 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Is MGM typically Region Free as well? I think I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and order Bond, Hitchcock, and Universal Monsters. I just gotta decide whether or not I want to cool coffin, or rather save on shelf space...

EDIT: Order placed. I got the regular version, sans coffin, to save money and shelf space... I haven't placed an order from Amazon UK in forever. I don't think I have a credit card without conversion fees currently, but these don't ship for a while, so perhaps I'll get one.
My conversion fee is about .98 cents, no matter how large the order is. It's worth it. I'm not sure about MGM being region free, though.
Old 08-06-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm planning on ordering once it's confirmed stuff is region free and I don't have to worry about any PAL stuff in the special features.
Old 08-06-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Universal never includes PAL or 1080/50hz in any of their Blu-ray releases... even the UK exclusive Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode on Psycho is 480i. They only region lock when they don't have full worldwide release rights.

MGM, on the hand, has their titles handled by Fox and while Fox also does not include PAL & 1080/50hz content either... they have a tendency to region lock titles. Some of the Bonds released prior to the set were region locked.
Old 08-06-12, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm planning on ordering once it's confirmed stuff is region free and I don't have to worry about any PAL stuff in the special features.
Somebody posted this over at bluray.com ~

"Dear Adriel,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We can confirm it will be region free.

Kind regards
Universal UK"

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6274906

This was in reference to the 'coffin' set, but I'm sure the regular set is the same w/respect to region coding.

I'm in at $ 50.
Old 08-06-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about MGM being region free, though.
Originally Posted by emachine12
MGM, on the hand, has their titles handled by Fox and while Fox also does not include PAL & 1080/50hz content either... they have a tendency to region lock titles. Some of the Bonds released prior to the set were region locked.
I guess I'll keep my itchy trigger finger on the cancel button for the Bond set. If there is a chance it is region free, I'll wait to see how it plays out... But if you guys think the odds are very low, perhaps I'll just cancel it now...
Old 08-06-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went ahead and got the regular set and the Hitchcock as well.
Old 08-06-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess I'll keep my itchy trigger finger on the cancel button for the Bond set. If there is a chance it is region free, I'll wait to see how it plays out... But if you guys think the odds are very low, perhaps I'll just cancel it now...
I know this is the Monsters thread and this info should go into the Bond thread, but I figured since kenbenobi mentioned this set I would throw this out there for the few that don't already know...

For those looking for select Bond titles or looking to finish off the ones already purchased, Walmart.com has listed three titles as "exclusives"(Octopussy, Diamonds are Forever and Goldeneye).

Hopefully that means the other remaining titles are coming out also for those that don't want the big set.

btw, I am digging the UK coffin set but want to get a better look of the inside and see how the discs are being stored before canceling my order for the reg. UK set. The UK coffin doesn't appear to look as deep and the French one.
Old 08-06-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I didn't know there was a Bond thread. Off to look for it now! Thanks for the info though. Sorry for getting this thread off topic... Back to our regularly scheduled monster mayhem...
Old 08-06-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

EDIT: Order placed. I got the regular version, sans coffin, to save money and shelf space... I haven't placed an order from Amazon UK in forever. I don't think I have a credit card without conversion fees currently, but these don't ship for a while, so perhaps I'll get one.
What cards do not have conversion fees. I placed a pretty big order at Amazon.de and paid pretty hefty conversion fees (though it was less than placing the order in U.S. dollars, but not much).
Old 08-06-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I didn't know there was a Bond thread. Off to look for it now! Thanks for the info though. Sorry for getting this thread off topic... Back to our regularly scheduled monster mayhem...
I should have said Bond HD talk thread as thats where I originally read it. But I thought I would mention it for those that did not know.
Old 08-06-12, 07:17 PM

I placed a pre-order for the standard set, but will keep an eye on the coffin's price. Keeping the disk laser sides away from cardboard is important, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $12-$14. A separate 8-disk DVD keep case (sadly Blu-Ray cases seem to max out at 6) sells for much less. Hmm, I wonder if four Blu-Ray double thinpak cases would fit in the standard slipcase? I'd still need artwork, but it's a start...
Old 08-07-12, 10:01 AM

Preorder in for the coffin set (and the big Hitchcock set). Can't beat getting cooler packaging at nearly half the price! Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 08-07-12, 10:21 AM

I'm curious about the conversion fee you're mentioning. When I use my card, the amount I end up being charged is usually just a few points under the current exchange rate. I don't have any additional charges. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 08-07-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Cancelled my UK order for the regular set and ordered the Coffin Set. Love that design.
Old 08-07-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and order Bond, Hitchcock, and Universal Monsters.

EDIT: Order placed.
Well played, Ken! Congrats on this fantastic haul! I would love to pull the trigger on this myself, but can't do it at the moment.

Will be getting the Bonds separately once they are reduced, which they will inevitably be. Won't have the new bonus disc exclusive to this set, but won't have DIE ANOTHER DAY tainting my shelves either. I can live with that tradeoff.

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 08-07-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
You usually won't see the extra fee until a day of two after it is charged to your card (after shipping).

My son ordered something from Canada just last week and it was listed as "FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE" for exactly 3% of the charge. It's listed as posted the same day, but it never showed up until the Temp charge was officially posted on the account which was 4 days later.

If you're talking about using Amazon Conversion you won't see a separate line item since it's built in the exchange rate.

Oh, 3% is pretty much the equivalent to the difference in exchange rate I'm seeing on mine.
Old 08-07-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
You usually won't see the extra fee until a day of two after it is charged to your card (after shipping).

My son ordered something from Canada just last week and it was listed as "FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE" for exactly 3% of the charge. It's listed as posted the same day, but it never showed up until the Temp charge was officially posted on the account which was 4 days later.

If you're talking about using Amazon Conversion you won't see a separate line item since it's built in the exchange rate.
I hate how my card charges me those fees. Even when I used the currency switch at Amazon.UK that allows you to change the billing from pounds to dollars, I still got charged the transaction fee from my bank! Bastards. So, I don't bother with that because then I'll get doubled up on the transaction fees.
Old 08-07-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just a bit of advice - NEVER use the conversion that Amazon uses otherwise you will pay a slightly larger fee. I just have them charge it in pounds since I will already be getting charged .98 cents for the foreign transaction fee from my bank. No need to give them more money for convenience. I use http://www.xe.com/ucc/ to calculate my totals anyway.
Old 08-24-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just ordered the coffin set off Amazon UK. Total steal for the price. Came to 39.75 pounds.
Old 08-25-12, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a bit of advice - NEVER use the conversion that Amazon uses otherwise you will pay a slightly larger fee. I just have them charge it in pounds since I will already be getting charged .98 cents for the foreign transaction fee from my bank. No need to give them more money for convenience. I use http://www.xe.com/ucc/ to calculate my totals anyway.
as do I. I haven't seen the conversion button on their page in while, I've never used it, I just go to that site and that's how I know.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-26-12 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-26-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Just to be clear, people are paying an extra $12 to get a coffin-shaped cardboard box to put the other regular box set in? I see no need for that. If they had the slim blu cases like the French set instead of the same long Alien Quadrilogy-like digipack, I would have considered that.

But I think I'm in for the set. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 08-26-12, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what? Rephrase that first sentence.
Old 08-27-12, 07:58 AM

I don't think we know for certain how the inside of the UK coffin set is.
Old 08-27-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
what? Rephrase that first sentence.
I was asking if the only difference between the regular UK set and the Coffin LE set is the exterior, coffin-shaped cardboard box, in which the regular blu-ray box set is placed. Because that hardly seems worth $12 to me.
Originally Posted by LPMA
I don't think we know for certain how the inside of the UK coffin set is.
Looking at the Amazon.uk listings, that's the only difference I can see. The French version showed each movie in its own slim case. That would be at least a little better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.