Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon $8 Coupons: Pocahontas, Rescuers, Aristocats, Lady and Tramp 2, & others

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon $8 Coupons: Pocahontas, Rescuers, Aristocats, Lady and Tramp 2, & others

It's 2012 Manzana
Old 06-03-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Amazon $8 Coupons: Pocahontas, Rescuers, Aristocats, Lady and Tramp 2, & others

Originally Posted by sotra
It's 2012 Manzana
Thanks. I edited my error. I don't know why I spaced out.
Old 06-04-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Nor Treasure Planet (which comes out sooner) or Secret of the Wings.
Ditto for Home on the Range
Old 06-04-12, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I don't think there are any missing from your list. I usually dump my disney DVDs once to see talk online that there is an upcoming release as their values still hold up. I hope Toys R Us gets preorder cards for some of these titles also, though I kind of doubt they will.
They already have pre-order cards for Cinderella and some Tinkerbell movie released in October. So I doubt there are any pre-order cards for these. Although, you could use one of those pre-orders to save some money on these releases.
Old 06-04-12, 08:20 AM

I pre-ordered all of them, except Lady and the Tramp 2. I am on the fence about The Tigger Movie, though. As a big Pooh fan, I liked it, but it's not part of the Classics line, and it's not as good as the two Pooh Classics. If it doesn't drop ($40 MSRP for a non-Classics blu-ray pack?), I'll probably cancel it.

Manzana, are you really worried about not getting the price drops? I have never had a problem. Amazon has issued me refunds the day of release, the day after, and even two days after, but I've always gotten the refund.
Old 06-04-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Nemo!! Sweet! Thanks OP.
Old 06-04-12, 09:41 AM

they obviously skipped Home on the Ranger and Treasure Planet... but I have no idea why Great Mouse Detective isnt up.
Old 06-04-12, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by FranklinShepard
Manzana, are you really worried about not getting the price drops? I have never had a problem. Amazon has issued me refunds the day of release, the day after, and even two days after, but I've always gotten the refund.
I'm not worried Amazon won't give me the price drops but that on occasion they may not have the price drop to match local B&M stores. So far Amazon has matched B&M stores, but I do worry a little that someday they may not. Also, like the John Carter BD deal at Target, sometimes there are additional deals (like buy 2 and get $8 off) that Amazon won't pricematch. What I'd like is for Amazon not to ship my preorders until Wednesday after release to give me a chance to make sure there are no better deals in store. However, as I'm never sure when they will actually ship, it's always a risk.
Old 06-04-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

What I'd like is for Amazon not to ship my preorders until Wednesday after release to give me a chance to make sure there are no better deals in store.
I'm sure everyone else would love to get their pre-orders shipped after street too
Old 06-05-12, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm sure everyone else would love to get their pre-orders shipped after street too
I understand that... most people are in a hurry. I'm one of the oddballs who isn't. Most movies sit on the shelf several days or weeks, months, or years before I watch them. In an ideal world, Amazon would let you pick the earliest ship date. For me it's solely to give me a chance to see what deals are at B&M stores on Tuesday before deciding to keep or cancel the order.

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't give you any choice, and they probably never will. On top of that, the expected shipping dates are worthless. My John Carter was listed as shipping the following week, I chatted with a rep (in India of course which are the people I usually get wrong info from) who assured me it wouldn't ship until then and of course it shipped today. I would've liked to see what Disney BDs Target has in the $8 off deal first. Point is: never trust an Amazon estimated ship/delivery date. Monday night is the longest you can wait to cancel a Tuesday preorder... and sometimes they'll ship as early as the Friday before.
Old 06-05-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I temporarily pre-ordered Tigger, hoping that would get the rest to show up in my Gold Box. But it didn't work... yet.
Old 06-05-12, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I temporarily pre-ordered Tigger, hoping that would get the rest to show up in my Gold Box. But it didn't work... yet.
How much is the Gold Box discount? 5%?

A few years ago I occasionally got stuff in my Gold Box I wanted, but the discount was rarely more than $1... usually pennies. Ever since I did those massive CD orders early this year (most of which got canceled 2 weeks later), all I get in my Gold Box is junk I don't care about. It was just CDs for months. Now it's finally back to a few BDs, but never BDs I want and always ones way too expensive. Amazon has no clue that I won't pay over $10 for any movie unless it's a brand new release I really want, but my Gold Box is filled with $15-$20 already released BDs. I've never seen a Disney BD in my Gold Box and that is what I buy the most. I know there are tricks (you obviously know them better than I do) to help what shows up in the Gold Box, but I never paid attention to them because it seemed like a lot of work for a YMMV 5% off, IIRC. So the Gold Box has no meaning to my programming (as Vejur would say).
Old 06-05-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Yeah 5%, hardly a deal breaker for any purchase.
Old 06-05-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeah 5%, hardly a deal breaker for any purchase.
I didn't say it was a dealbreaker. But I plan on buying most of those titles, except for Tigger. So if I can save 5% on each, that's almost 8 bucks saved. It isn't that much effort to attempt to get items to show up in your goldbox. If they don't show up soon, I'll still place the order.
Old 06-05-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I understand that... most people are in a hurry. I'm one of the oddballs who isn't. Most movies sit on the shelf several days or weeks, months, or years before I watch them. In an ideal world, Amazon would let you pick the earliest ship date. For me it's solely to give me a chance to see what deals are at B&M stores on Tuesday before deciding to keep or cancel the order.

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't give you any choice, and they probably never will.
For them to make a system change like that, it would have to benefit both them and customers. Customers who want to delay a shipment till payday--sure, they might want to do it for them. Customers who just want to game the pre-order system--not so much.

No, GB picks at an additional 5% aren't any great shakes, but considering how much debate goes on about where to order something based on saving a buck or two, it's not bad. One way to help is to Improve Your Recommendations and deselect the CDs and whatever else you don't want sims based on.

I pre-ordered Aristocats and will see if that feeds Pocahontas into my picks. That would increase my coupon by 12%.
Old 06-05-12, 03:55 PM

Does anyone know if the June 7th date is the last day the coupon can be used (all day), or if June 6 at 11:59PM is the last time the coupon can be used because it expires on the 7th? I can't remember.
Old 06-06-12, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tbender
Does anyone know if the June 7th date is the last day the coupon can be used (all day), or if June 6 at 11:59PM is the last time the coupon can be used because it expires on the 7th? I can't remember.
For me the expiration date of a physical coupon is the last day it can be used. Expiring on the 7th should mean until the stores close on the 7th, but of course when coupons are programmed online you can never be sure they implement it the same way. My advice would be to order on the 6th just to be safe if you can. With Amazon I rarely trust them not to change prices, end promotions early, or cancel orders that seemed perfectly legitimate (like the recent BBC Natural History Collections which they claim were price mistakes).

Amazon didn't even apply the preorder price guarantee to my John Carter preorder and then after telling me (via chat) it wouldn't ship until later they shipped it right away. I had to chat with another rep to get my preorder price guarantee that should've been automatic. I'm not happy with Amazon, but I'm getting used to that.

On the other subject of Gold Box recommendations, I suppose I should look for that Improve Your Recommendations link and see if it's quick. It would be worth a few minutes. I'm not saying 5% isn't worth trying to get, but going to lots of effort (I remember reading someone preordered Mirror Mirror and then canceled it just to get a Gold Box pick) is more than I care to do now. Pretty much about the only thing I've ordered from Amazon this year are a bunch of CD orders which got canceled, the BBC Natural History Collections which got canceled yesterday, occasional 99c instant video deals (which they haven't had this week), and mostly Disney BD preorders if they have an Amazon coupon. It's taking me a very long time to use up those Amazon Kindle cards I got for 20% off from Target in the past.
Old 06-06-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Amazon didn't even apply the preorder price guarantee to my John Carter preorder and then after telling me (via chat) it wouldn't ship until later they shipped it right away. I had to chat with another rep to get my preorder price guarantee that should've been automatic. I'm not happy with Amazon, but I'm getting used to that.
You probably would have gotten it automatically within the next couple of days anyway. When something ships before the price adjusts, it usually takes a couple of days for it to process the refund, but I've always gotten it.

In fact, the one time that I did get nervous and contact them, I got a double refund, because the CSR issued a refund, and then I got the automatic refund a day or 2 later on top of that.
Old 06-06-12, 09:47 AM

For me the expiration date of a physical coupon is the last day it can be used. Expiring on the 7th should mean until the stores close on the 7th, but of course when coupons are programmed online you can never be sure they implement it the same way. My advice would be to order on the 6th just to be safe if you can. With Amazon I rarely trust them not to change prices, end promotions early, or cancel orders that seemed perfectly legitimate (like the recent BBC Natural History Collections which they claim were price mistakes).

On the other subject of Gold Box recommendations, I suppose I should look for that Improve Your Recommendations link and see if it's quick. It would be worth a few minutes. I'm not saying 5% isn't worth trying to get, but going to lots of effort (I remember reading someone preordered Mirror Mirror and then canceled it just to get a Gold Box pick) is more than I care to do now. Pretty much about the only thing I've ordered from Amazon this year are a bunch of CD orders which got canceled, the BBC Natural History Collections which got canceled yesterday, occasional 99c instant video deals (which they haven't had this week), and mostly Disney BD preorders if they have an Amazon coupon. It's taking me a very long time to use up those Amazon Kindle cards I got for 20% off from Target in the past.
I'm going to hold out until tomorrow...I'm trying to get Finding Nemo in my gold box before the coupon expires. If it expires at 11:59 tonight I think I might have luck with customer service explaining that because most coupons are good on the day that they expire, I thought this one would be too.
Old 06-06-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Manzana you need to be a bit more patient sometimes. With Real Steel I got refunded the preorder price match guarantee almost a week after release/ship date.
Old 06-06-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sotra
Manzana you need to be a bit more patient sometimes. With Real Steel I got refunded the preorder price match guarantee almost a week after release/ship date.
You obviously haven't seen very many Manzana posts.
Old 06-06-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Preordered Aristocats, Finding Nemo, and Pocahontas with the coupons. Thanks for the info on this deal.
Old 06-06-12, 02:27 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

I'm in for The Rescuers... but that's all.
Old 06-06-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It sounds like you talked to two different CS reps on street date complaining that your automated refund hadn't kicked in yet. I'd laugh, if I didn't know that the money I spend at Amazon for Prime and for titles that are pre-order-guaranteed is going toward paying CS reps to talk to you.

On the other subject of Gold Box recommendations, I suppose I should look for that Improve Your Recommendations link and see if it's quick. It would be worth a few minutes. I'm not saying 5% isn't worth trying to get, but going to lots of effort (I remember reading someone preordered Mirror Mirror and then canceled it just to get a Gold Box pick) is more than I care to do now.
Go to the top tab that says "Manzana's Amazon.com" then the subtab "Improve Your Recommendations" and you should be able to checkbox what you don't want to use. Oh sorry, you'll have to sign in as well. Of course from the other thread it sounds like you know how coupons work at all the big retailers so you must be willing to put some effort into your purchasing.

Originally Posted by Shagrath
You obviously haven't seen very many Manzana posts.
OK, I can at that
Old 06-06-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER showed up in my Gold Box at 55% off so I thought that might beat the B&N sale price and went for it. I added THE RESCUERS to get Free Shipping. I love POCAHONTAS, but it's too pricey for me even with the coupon. And I've never seen ARISTOCATS so I don't know, but compared to the RESCUERS double feature it seems kind of high. How is ARISTOCATS?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.