Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

John Carter $5 Coupon

Old 06-10-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Re: John Carter $5 Coupon

FYI,

This coupon expires tomorrow.

Target currently has the 4-disc John Carter BD/3D set on sale for $24.99. With the coupon, you can get it for $19.99+tax. Cheaper than last week when it was on sale at both Target and Best Buy.

I went ahead and picked it up today. This 4-disc set probably won't get this cheap again for another 6 months to 1-year.
Old 06-10-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ Thanks your right it was on sale at Target last week for the same price.

Still under $20 for the 4-disc BD is a good deal. It won't be that price for a very long time.

It sucks that Best Buy jacked up it's price this week and was a little more expensive. I would have loved to acquire that special 5th bonus disc.
Old 06-11-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
^^ Thanks your right it was on sale at Target last week for the same price.

Still under $20 for the 4-disc BD is a good deal. It won't be that price for a very long time.

It sucks that Best Buy jacked up it's price this week and was a little more expensive. I would have loved to acquire that special 5th bonus disc.
With the almost universal bad reviews on this movie, I expect a sub-$15 price point for the 3D version of this movie within 3-6 months. I'm in no hurry.
Old 06-11-12, 04:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure critics were more divided, the film got more bad press because it's issues in budget rather than content. John Carter is leagues better than Tron, Prince of Persia, Escape to Witch Mountain, Bedtime Stories, The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Pirates 4: Tides of a Stranger/Who Cares. Also, Disney films no matter the quality are rarely put on sale below 19.99.
Old 06-12-12, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Agreed. This movie is loads better than so of those films on your list.

Certainly it's not a great movie by any means and it has plenty of problems to go around, but it not the ultimate bad movie.

Getting the Walmart version with the $10 off check still might be the lowest price. There were plenty of folks who got it for a net $6 last week, but using 2 DMR and the $10 check with a return of the unopened set. I don't know what this weeks price is at WM, but it might be worth a shot if you don't think the buy/return routine is problematic.
I wish someone had spelled this out a bit better here. Over at blu-ray.com it is explained thoroughly. I didn't pay too much attention to the thread at blu-ray.com, but read this one. psychopuppet420 mentions the coupon, but doesn't elaborate on the deal (or maybe didn't know). I don't know why, but there are too many lurkers at DVD Talk and not enough posters. It used to be that most movie deals were posted here first, or at least shortly after they appeared on other forums. I can think of many examples of this problem. This is by no means an isolated event. This forum seems to be dying a slow death.
Old 06-12-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^^^ I didn't fully understand that $6 deal either. Normally stores (well, Target at least) won't take multiple mfg. coupons on 1 item, but perhaps Walmart does. If you could find a Walmart employee to take 2 copies of the $5 DMR coupon and the $10 Walmart Disney BD coupon in one transaction, it would be $24.99 - $10 - $5 - $5 = $5 which close to $6. Of course you'd pay tax on the full amount, so maybe that's where the extra dollar comes in? If someone actually gets a Walmart employee to take all 3 mfg. coupons in 1 transaction, I'd sure like to hear that magical story.

As far as not many people posting, I know it's sometimes hard to get answers to some questions, and when I do get answers it's usually the same handful of people who have posted for years. I think many other web sites have more active forums. I'm just too lazy/time constrained to check out other sites now. I find most of what I need here.

Also, on the John Carter 3D deal, I just read something somewhere else (probably too late) that I didn't see mentioned here...

Apparently there was a 200 point bonus (400 points total) when you enter the reward code on Disney Movie Rewards, but supposedly it ended last week. I sure wish I would've heard about the extra 200 points. I remember seeing DMC advertise double points if you order from them, but I never saw a word about everyone getting double points. Does anyone have confirmation that the John Carter 3D BD double points at DMR is over?
Old 06-12-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sort of "deal" isn't really encouraged here (though similar things are posted or at least hinted at often), so that might be part of the reason nobody posted it.
Old 06-12-12, 12:19 PM

Thanks for explaining, hariseldon. So I was right that you can't use all those coupons in 1 transaction. My understanding (at least from Target) is you're supposed to be able to use 1 mfg. coupon + 1 store (non-mfg) coupon per item. I'd assume Walmart would have the same policy. I'm surprised people were able to get them to take the $10 coupon + $5 mfg. coupon in the same transaction, but perhaps the $10 is Walmart-specific. I haven't seen it.

And the 200 bonus points on Disney Movie Rewards is over now? Anyone know?
Old 06-12-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Thanks for explaining, hariseldon. So I was right that you can't use all those coupons in 1 transaction. My understanding (at least from Target) is you're supposed to be able to use 1 mfg. coupon + 1 store (non-mfg) coupon per item. I'd assume Walmart would have the same policy. I'm surprised people were able to get them to take the $10 coupon + $5 mfg. coupon in the same transaction, but perhaps the $10 is Walmart-specific. I haven't seen it.

And the 200 bonus points on Disney Movie Rewards is over now? Anyone know?
From what I have read, the $10 cpn is actually some sort of "check" type document that is Walmart specific. That is why they were able to use both items to reduce the cost.

As far as the 200 point bonus, it ended yesterday. I posted this last week in the DMR thread in the "Hot Deals" section of this site. I only posted it there since it did not relate to any price/deals toward this movie.
Old 06-12-12, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
That sort of "deal" isn't really encouraged here (though similar things are posted or at least hinted at often), so that might be part of the reason nobody posted it.
Perhaps. It may be a little manipulative, but I've read worse. The fact is nobody posts any deals anymore. There was a deal for Star Trek 3-disc BD at Wal-mart for 5 bucks posted last week at blu-ray.com. Nobody can argue that that is not a legitimate deal.

I guess you can argue then why didn't you do it? I monitored both DVD Talk and blu-ray.com extensively during BF week. waking up early every morning and staying on the computer on and off all day. I started many threads on BF deals that were first posted on blu-ray.com. I guess I'm just getting sick of it. I love this forum, but like Mananza said, only a handful participate anymore. Maybe my attitude will change, but those that read these threads and can add something that might help others should do so. I'm not saying posting for postings sake -- but sometimes there is a bit of info that might make a huge difference -- like when Trevor mentioned the Alien Anthology 70% off indicator on Amazon's DOTD. Just a simple statement saved me 10 bucks. That's what I'm talking about.
Old 06-12-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Perhaps. It may be a little manipulative, but I've read worse. The fact is nobody posts any deals anymore. There was a deal for Star Trek 3-disc BD at Wal-mart for 5 bucks posted last week at blu-ray.com. Nobody can argue that that is not a legitimate deal.
I don't want to point fingers, but the reality is that most of the posters in this forum IMO either don't have the time research deals or have gotten lazy. For this Blu Rays bargains forum, I think most use it as an informational hub hence the lurking don't really have anything to say.

Back to John Carter,

A Mod should put on the title that this coupon is officially dead since it expired yesterday.
Old 06-12-12, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
From what I have read, the $10 cpn is actually some sort of "check" type document that is Walmart specific. That is why they were able to use both items to reduce the cost.

As far as the 200 point bonus, it ended yesterday. I posted this last week in the DMR thread in the "Hot Deals" section of this site. I only posted it there since it did not relate to any price/deals toward this movie.
Bummer that I missed that post. There are so many subforums and threads that I never look at, so I didn't see it. I pretty much only check the Blu-Ray forum (and the DVD one quickly). Knowing the $10 coupon is Walmart-specific now makes sense why it could be used with the $5 mfg coupon.
Old 06-13-12, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I wish someone had spelled this out a bit better here. Over at blu-ray.com it is explained thoroughly. I didn't pay too much attention to the thread at blu-ray.com, but read this one. psychopuppet420 mentions the coupon, but doesn't elaborate on the deal (or maybe didn't know). I don't know why, but there are too many lurkers at DVD Talk and not enough posters. It used to be that most movie deals were posted here first, or at least shortly after they appeared on other forums. I can think of many examples of this problem. This is by no means an isolated event. This forum seems to be dying a slow death.
It apparently popped up over at Blu-ray.com a little after I made my post here and there. Not sure since they had a database error that wiped out most of the threads. To be honest I did not even think of doing it since I was more wanting to save the check for Treasure Planet the one Disney Blu-ray I don't have locked in at a good price. Sure I could have saved a more on John Carter ,but I'm fine with what I paid.
Old 06-14-12, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by psychopuppet420
It apparently popped up over at Blu-ray.com a little after I made my post here and there. Not sure since they had a database error that wiped out most of the threads. To be honest I did not even think of doing it since I was more wanting to save the check for Treasure Planet the one Disney Blu-ray I don't have locked in at a good price. Sure I could have saved a more on John Carter ,but I'm fine with what I paid.
Treasure Planet is just about the only Disney BD release between now and when the Walmart $10 coupon expires (had they given it an extra couple weeks then there would've been a boatload of Disney BDs released... so I assume their decision to cut it off before that was on purpose... Walmart might as well put wording on this coupon that says "good only for existing Disney BDs, John Carter or Treasure Planet".)

So, here's to hoping that Walmart will carry Treasure Planet BD when it's released (I honestly fear they might not since it wasn't particularly popular... I can't remember if I've ever seen any of the Studio Ghibli BDs at Walmart), and then of course we need to hope their price is $19.99 or less. If not, then a PM might be needed which might cause issues when you try to add a $10 coupon. Walmart doesn't pull the "sale prices are offers and can't be combined with coupons" excuse very often, but it has happened on rare occasion. When this happens, the solution at Walmart (where there are usually about 8 cashiers vs. only 1 or 2 at BB standing next to each other) is pretty obvious, though if the cashier got CS involved then you're sunk for the time being.

I actually got Treasure Planet BD in my Amazon Gold Box for $18.96 (I think), but I didn't preorder it (not having Prime and needing a $6.04 filler was a big part of it). $1 off isn't big enough to make me jump yet.
Old 06-14-12, 09:35 AM

Treasure Planet is actually sitting in my Goldbox today along with the Great Mouse Detective for $18.96 each. My Walmart the Disney Movies are about the only thing they get all of them in. They did get all of the Ghibli Blu-ray films released here in though not many copies. Mine also seems to be fairly good about taking movie cash and Coupons . Only issues I ever have is Price Matching if the other stores picture looks different then the package. Now if I were to go look for the $5.00 or $7.88 deal from a few months ago those it's very rare to see. The $5.00 ones actually got thrown in one of the $5.00 DVD bins. I found out a while back some of the employee's won't put stuff out or puts stuff aside to buy and sell later online. I've actually seen them take stuff off the shelf before if someone does put it out. Also there is the issue with them being to lazy to take down a old display and put up a new one. If for some reason they don't have Treasure Planet I do have a few other Disney Blu-ray's I've been waiting on that the check would take down to my willing to pay range. I'll find something to do with it.