Reload this Page >

Descendants $11.99 at Bestbuy.com

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Descendants $11.99 at Bestbuy.com

Old 05-07-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Re: Descendants $11.99 at Bestbuy.com

Got mine for $2.55 with tax. And it's my favorite film of 2011 to boot. Thanks so much, OP (and whoever told me to try both coupons).
Old 05-07-12, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Best Buy wouldn't accept both coupons either. I was really friendly with the young woman at the register. But, she stuck to the fine print saying no combined coupons or discounts. And, there was a manager standing right next to her the entire time just waiting to call me out for trying to take advantage of the system. I accepted the film for $6.99.
Old 05-07-12, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought "The Descendants" last week and got it for $10 using the coupon and a trade-in. Went back this afternoon to price match it. She initially was only going to give me three dollars, and I had to explain to her that if I had bought the movie today and used a trade-in, it would only be $6.99. She seemed pretty skeptical, so she called a manager over, and together they tried it out using one of the trade-in coupons. Low and behold, it rang up $6.99. They seemed shocked. So I got my eights bucks and change back. I don't mean to put down the Best Buy employees, because they're just doing their job and what they think is protocol, and both of them were really nice. But it was a 15-minute ordeal, and as everyone else has stated, I just wish Best Buy was consistent with their policies from day-to-day and store-to-store. It has to be REALLY frustrating to work there, so I feel for them.
Old 05-07-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Again (like a broken record) the YMMV-ness of coupons at BB is the main reason I dislike them.
That and tracking down their stock. When I went on Sunday, there were no copies of the Descendants on the rack with the $11.99 tag. When my gf asked an employee for help, he couldn't find any copies even though their system said they had plenty in stock. Turns out there were about a dozen copies near the DVD clearance bins in front of two un-manned registers.
Old 05-07-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - $4.99 - $3 Universal coupon
When Harry Met Sally - $4.99 - $3 Coupons.com
Heat - $4.99

Quick, simple transaction. They were all outa The Descendants at the Westminster (SoCal store) though :-(
Old 05-08-12, 12:20 AM

Was able to snag copies of Descendants and EL&IC for $13.98 out the door. Thanks OP!
Old 05-08-12, 01:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks OP. I was able to get The Descendants with Upgrade & Save and the coupon and We Bought a Zoo with Upgrade & Save with no problem. The cashier had to ring up my order twice, apparently because the coupon and Upgrade & Save had to be applied in the proper order.
Old 05-08-12, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
That and tracking down their stock. When I went on Sunday, there were no copies of the Descendants on the rack with the $11.99 tag. When my gf asked an employee for help, he couldn't find any copies even though their system said they had plenty in stock. Turns out there were about a dozen copies near the DVD clearance bins in front of two un-manned registers.
I was concerned about the stock situation also and wasn't thrilled about trying to get them to track the movie down. When I got there Sunday morning, I noticed maybe three copies of We Bought a Zoo (although I wasn't really looking for that one so there could have been more). The Descendants had maybe ten copies total, some in the front and some in the main BD shelves.

I figured with the $11.99 price and the discounts that are available now, they might run out eventually so wanted to grab while the grabbing was good!
Old 05-08-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I got both We Bought A Zoo and The Descendants yesterday. Thanks for the heads up on those deals!
Old 05-08-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - $4.99 - $3 Universal coupon
When Harry Met Sally - $4.99 - $3 Coupons.com
Heat - $4.99

Quick, simple transaction. They were all outa The Descendants at the Westminster (SoCal store) though :-(
Dang. I missed the Fast Times coupon. Good call on that one. I should have printed that one yesterday, too. I guess I have a reason to go back again tomorrow.
Old 05-08-12, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
True, I didn't think about the tracking down stock part. Maybe that would account for 20% of the annoyance, but after the 5 minutes it usually takes to get an employee to help me, if their computer shows more than 3 copies we can usually find it hidden somewhere. I've learned I heave to walk around the entire movie section because of all the BD endcaps hidden among the DVDs. I've mentioned many times (not just to BB but many stores) that I wish they'd simply alphabetize everything with 1 separate area for new releases and weekly specials (both alphabetized), but I've been saying that for years and apparently the majority of people who buy movies prefer to look by genre and at random endcaps instead.

I thought about calling and seeing if I could find a customer service rep willing to take both coupons. That way when I got there I could ask for that person if I got denied at the register. That has worked a couple times, but most of the time if I call and say "I'd like to use a manufacturer's coupon which is supposedly to be just like cash with the upgrade and save offer but sometimes I get rejected so I wanted to make sure you'd allow it before I make a special trip there", what usually happens is the rep will say "I need to check with a supervisor" and 100% of the time a supervisor or manager says no. And it's always the same group of supervisors or managers at my BB for years. Don't they ever have any turnover? I guess they are all career people at mine.

The way to get success is to find a cashier who doesn't care and won't check with a supervisor or manager who are trained to say no. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to determine that by looking at people... and usually at my BB store (at least when I go) there are only 2 people ringing sales... 1 at the front and 1 at customer service where there's usually a long line. So there's usually no choice. But I am really tempted to try (though the odds are against me) and really would like The Descendants for $1.99.
Old 05-08-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^^The $5 coupon is a mfr coupon for which BB gets reimbursed by the mfr. They should accept it the same as cash. If BB gives you a hard time, that's the argument you use.

Give the cashier the U&S coupon first and the mfr coupon second. If you give the mfr coupon first, it brings the cost of the BD below the $9.99 threshold needed for the U&S coupon to work.
Old 05-08-12, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819
^^^The $5 coupon is a mfr coupon for which BB gets reimbursed by the mfr. They should accept it the same as cash. If BB gives you a hard time, that's the argument you use.

Give the cashier the U&S coupon first and the mfr coupon second. If you give the mfr coupon first, it brings the cost of the BD below the $9.99 threshold needed for the U&S coupon to work.
You are right theoretically, but I've been through this argument probably at least a dozen times over the last few years and never once did I win. Why? Because when the manager comes out (always the same guy whose name I know well) the answer is always no, and if it's one of his well trained supervisors they are told to say no. They've even said the manager specifically trains them to say no to mfg. coupons on anything on sale or with another coupon. The manager bluntly said to me that he doesn't care what anyone else says because in his eyes a manufacturer's coupon is an offer and a sale price is an offer, and since every coupon says offers cannot be combined, as long as he runs that store (and he has for I think 5+ years which is pretty much when my problems started) I can never use a mfg. coupon unless it's at their full regular price. Of course when he's not there and I luck out getting a nice cashier, then they allow the mfg. coupons on sale items or with U&S offers anyway. Basically the manager is taking something that's allowed and because he's a hardnosed snot who likes to say no making it not allowed.

So the bottomline is that your logic and truth doesn't matter... only the opinion of those in charge at the store. And I called the toll free number twice about it and was told each time they support whatever the manager says. Same with Target that time I got denied on a Fry's pricematch because it was a "1 day only" sale ad. All those stories about people getting reps at toll free numbers to override managers has never once happened for me.

But I go in knowing that I'll probably be denied on the mfg. coupon. If that manager isn't there, then I have a fighting chance. I'm going to the nearby mall for something else too, so wasting gas is no longer issue... just the 10-15 minutes to try this.

Last edited by Manzana; 05-08-12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The girl I got today was cool, I handed her my trade-ins and mentioned the $5 mfr coupon when she started scanning the stuff I was buying. She said "Okay" in a friendly voice, took the coupon and scanned it at after scanning the movies and my reward zone card. That was it for that. No problem, or even a bit of hesitation from her.

It was pretty cool buying it for $2, then seeing it at Target later listed for $29.99.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 05-08-12 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
The manager bluntly said to me that he doesn't care what anyone else says because in his eyes a manufacturer's coupon is an offer and a sale price is an offer, and since every coupon says offers cannot be combined, as long as he runs that store (and he has for I think 5+ years which is pretty much when my problems started) I can never use a mfg. coupon unless it's at their full regular price.
I don't think the U&S or mfr coupon has that stipulation, at least I didn't see it printed on the coupons. If that's his excuse, then you're in luck.
Old 05-08-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I just got back from lunch and had absolutely no problems. This is my first time taking advantage of the upgrade and save program, and I'm officially a believer! I traded in 4 DVDs that would have fetched me 50 cents or less to trade at Amazon and ended up walking away with The Descendants and 3 3D Blu-rays for $56 and change. I waited until the end to give her the manufacturer's coupon. She hesitated for a second but only because she wasn't sure how to enter in that type of coupon. She asked the guy at the register next to her, and he started to put in the coupon for her, explaining to her as he did it. He even apologized to me for the delay, even though the whole thing probably only added an extra minute or two to the transaction. It took a helluva lot longer standing in line to trade in those DVDs!
Old 05-08-12, 02:20 PM
Cool New Member

I unfortunately do not have access to a printer, I can't figure out a way just get the scan. Is there anyone who can help me with this? Or possibly send me or picture link a scanned coupon? This deal is too good to pass up.
Old 05-08-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to scan it but my scanner at work makes the coupon unreadable.
Old 05-08-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Each coupon is individually generated and unique. It's treated like a check, where the studio reimburses Best Buy $5 for the item purchased. There's no point in posting a copy of a coupon here since that wouldn't be any more valid than a Xerox of a check.
Old 05-08-12, 04:14 PM
Cool New Member

Well damn, I very much appreciate the effort Quake.
Old 05-08-12, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819
I don't think the U&S or mfr coupon has that stipulation, at least I didn't see it printed on the coupons. If that's his excuse, then you're in luck.
You're right. I looked at The Descendants coupon and it doesn't say may not be combined with other offers. Nevertheless, I guarantee that manager would have said no to it (had he been there) because simply using a coupon or being on sale is a special offer in his opinion. I know that Disney coupons always say may not be combined with other offers, and I think most other mfg. coupons do too.

That said, I had success using both the U&S and The Descendants $5 mfg. coupon because I got a nice guy at customer service and the mean manager wasn't around that I could see. The guy didn't give me any trouble using the coupons (which is how every experience should be rather than having this be the exception rather than the rule). He did call someone over for an override (I don't know why) and I got worried the supervisor would say something but didn't. Always a huge YMMV.

I only traded in 2 DVDs (The Descendants and We Bought a Zoo). I just couldn't bring myself to pay $15 or $20 for any of those 3D BDs... even Yogi Bear which I heard has great 3D as I'm trying to be a little more frugal lately (it's hard). I was tempted by Clueless and that Up Close and Extremely Personal or whatever it was called (which I haven't seen or read any reviews yet) solely because it had Tom and Sandra in it, but I resisted temptation even though I had more DVDs I could've traded in.
Old 05-09-12, 12:11 AM
Cool New Member

I was able to get it for $2.51, the first best buy I went to was a no deal. The guy just said "No, it won't work." At the second best buy, no problems. The chick at the register looked to be in a rush probably because her shift was ending so she didn't really care, so I guess if you luck out on circumstance as well. I'm satisfied.
Old 05-09-12, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by rudyhasdvd
I was able to get it for $2.51, the first best buy I went to was a no deal. The guy just said "No, it won't work." At the second best buy, no problems. The chick at the register looked to be in a rush probably because her shift was ending so she didn't really care, so I guess if you luck out on circumstance as well. I'm satisfied.
Yes, it's good that we both got The Descendants for $2.51, but you shouldn't have had to go to a 2nd BB store to get it. They should've let you do it at the first. I don't know about your area, but where I am BB stores are about 10 miles apart (Targets are about 4). In months past I used to go by 2 BB stores and 4 Target stores on my daily commute, but now I no longer make that commute so if I get turned down at my nearest BB I'm not going to drive another 10 miles for a YMMV. So I only have 1 shot.

The problem and bad thing is the fact that we even have to worry about this. I remember one time I got denied, I had a receipt from the same store on the prior day where I had successfully used a $3 mfg. coupon on a sale item. I showed that to a supervisor after he said we NEVER allow this, and I said oh yes you do. Instead of relenting, the supervisor just said I guess I'm going to have have a talk with my employees again to make sure that doesn't happen. And yet yesterday at the same store I was able to do it. There are some seriously weird supervisors and managers at my store. One moment they act like using a mfg. coupon on a sale title or U&S is a crime worse than mass murder and vow to make sure all their employees don't allow it. The next time you can use the mfg. coupon no problems. The next time using a mfg. coupon is back to a horrible crime.
Old 05-09-12, 11:30 AM
Cool New Member

It's about the same distance for me, but I usually make the commute if I think it's worth it. The first best buy I went to also denied taking a few "Now" music dvds a few months back in January. But the 2nd BB took them no questions asked, and that's how ended up getting both seasons of Rome on blu-ray for 20.00 each. If I think the deal is worth it I'll make the drive. I mentioned in the other thread how there is a number of blu-rays I still want but I'm not going to pick them up because I simply don't have the money. I would like them but I realize I don't have to make the unnecessary drive to get them. I guess this just means I should be going to this second BB more often now since I get inconvenienced at the first.
Old 05-09-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I bought it last week with Trade-In coupon and MFG coupon. Went in today and told the lady at customer service up front that it should go from $14.99 to $6.99 since I used the upgrade coupon. Got the price match with no problems. Thanks!