DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/600804-best-buy-upgrade-save-%245-off-blu-ray-titles-apr-22-may-12-2012-a.html)

TheBang 04-18-12 08:11 PM

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Post your deals and finds below!


$5 Upgrade & Save Coupon:

Bring in your original DVD (no burned copies accepted) with the original case to Customer Service and receive a $5-off coupon valid on any Blu-ray movie priced $9.99 and up. See a Customer Specialist or visit BestBuy.com/upgradeandsave for more details about the Upgrade & Save promotion. Limit 5 coupons per trip. A recycling receipt must accompany the coupon at time of redemption. Once you have received your coupon, if you do not find a Blu-ray, you are unable to get your turned-in DVD back. Not valid with any other discount or package. Markdown taken from original price. Your original DVD must have been commercially packed and with the original case. Adult content DVDs not accepted. Not valid with any other offer. Valid on in-stock Blu-ray movies only. No cash value. Offer valid 4/22/12 - 5/12/12.
Frequently asked questions:

Q. What kind of DVD's can I trade in for a coupon?
A. Any commercial DVD (excluding porn) with the original DVD disc and original artwork/case (with UPC code) can be traded in for a coupon.

Q. Do I have to use the coupon on the same title as the DVD that I traded in?
A. No! You can use the coupon for ANY Blu-ray title $9.99 or over. It appears that music Blu-rays are not excluded this time.

Q. Can I use the coupon on Blu-ray titles that are on sale?
A. Although the terms of the promotion say "Markdown taken from original price", this has never actually been enforced by the Best Buy point of sale system. You should be able to use this coupon on any Blu-ray title, and the $5 discount will come off of the price that rings up at the register (sale or not). In fact, in the weekly ad circulars, Best Buy always shows examples of using the $5 coupon on sale titles (including that week's new releases).

Q. Do I have to use the upgrade coupon immediately?
A. No, if you can't find anything you want right now, you can simply hold onto it and use your coupon later. The coupon is good until 5/12/12.

Q. Can I combine it with a manufacturer's coupon?
A. Yes, you should be able to, as you have one Best Buy coupon and one manufacturer's coupon, and the manufacturer's coupon is considered a cash tender. Just make sure you give the Upgrade coupon (and any Reward Zone certificates) to the cashier first, and the manufacturer's coupon last, as this is the order in which the BB Point of Sale system has to process them.

http://www.bestbuy.com/upgradeandsave

PopcornTreeCt 04-18-12 08:14 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Fuck yes.

gmerreighnjr 04-18-12 09:35 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
this is not good--i'm moving east in three months and was trying to dwindle down my dvd's so to save room....i guess blurays don't take up as much space

dsa_shea 04-18-12 09:51 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
And people say they hate Best Buy. I don't get it.

gmerreighnjr 04-18-12 10:12 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11196125)
And people say they hate Best Buy. I don't get it.

not to get off subject,but earlier tonight i had the worst customer service experience picking up an online order (119th & Metcalf store) and i swore to my wife that it was the last time i shop at Best Buy but this deal is too good to pass up....i'll just go to the super excellent Best Buy in Olathe

Decker 04-18-12 10:16 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Looks like I'm finally upgrading Batman Begins.

What's the consensus on the quality of Gladiator and SPR blus? I recall problems with the transfers of both those discs.

gmerreighnjr 04-18-12 10:25 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
here's the short list of what i plan on picking up....if anyone can remark on video/audio and/or if it's worth the upgrade i'd appreciate it

Darkman
Army Of Darkness
An American Werewolf In London
Ghostbusters
Repo! The Genetic Opera
Beetlejuice
Batman Begins
Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
The Terminator
The Incredible Hulk
American Beauty
The Crow
Good Will Hunting
Dawn Of The Dead (2004)
Serenity
Let Me In
Evil Dead
Gremlins

kenbenobi 04-18-12 10:32 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Oh man. I still haven't watched the titles I picked up the last time! But I'm in!

clckworang 04-18-12 10:49 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
I've never taken advantage of this deal because I've never had a Best Buy that was too convenient for me, but now that I'm working in a city with a Best Buy, I think I might just pick out a few DVDs to trade. I'm considering Captain America 3D. It's on sale for $24.99; $20 isn't too bad of a price for it.

DeanoBKN 04-18-12 11:37 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Newbie question here,

I have a bunch of old DVD's that pretty much have a worthless trade in value at Amazon. Some even sell new for not much more then the $5 trade in coupon I'll be receiving. Will those still be accepted?

Joe6286 04-18-12 11:43 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Oh man, I spent way too much $ the last time they did this. And I've got a stack of DVD's that I've upgraded just sitting here.

PopcornTreeCt 04-19-12 12:00 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas (Post 11196265)
Newbie question here,

I have a bunch of old DVD's that pretty much have a worthless trade in value at Amazon. Some even sell new for not much more then the $5 trade in coupon I'll be receiving. Will those still be accepted?

Does it have cover art and a disc? Then yep. I traded in discs last time that were worth less than a $1 on Amazon. You also have to realize that Best Buy is making out on the deal. They're getting you to buy Blu-rays that you wouldn't normally buy.

Superdaddy 04-19-12 05:05 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11196157)
Looks like I'm finally upgrading Batman Begins.

What's the consensus on the quality of Gladiator and SPR blus? I recall problems with the transfers of both those discs.

The problems (video for Gladiator and audio for SPR) were addressed in subsequent pressings. By this late date, the newer pressings should be standard stock, but SPR has a different bar code number to distinguish it. Also the movie disc on the repressed version has a blue label; the original pressing has gray labels for both the movie and bonus features discs.

I don't own Gladiator so perhaps someone with that disc can tell you how to spot the improved pressing.

Superdaddy 04-19-12 05:08 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas (Post 11196265)
Newbie question here,

I have a bunch of old DVD's that pretty much have a worthless trade in value at Amazon. Some even sell new for not much more then the $5 trade in coupon I'll be receiving. Will those still be accepted?

Yes. I traded in some stuff with no value at all last time.

riotinmyskull 04-19-12 06:17 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
THE RING for $9.99 - don't mind if i do...

DVDMagic 04-19-12 08:43 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Have abag that has my last round of dvd's in that I never got a chance to take up there, so I'll be ready

Has anybody been able to use these on music/concert blu rays?

I've seen some print that say they are excluded, but then a paragraph later it says it can be used on ANY BLU RAY

Maybe YMMV

Hopefully they won't have upped the price on 'Source Code' with the lenticular cover and there is a copy at my store. Also hoping that 'MI: GP' stays at $22.99 so I can get it for $17.99 since I missed the $19.99 price on Tuesday.

Manzana 04-19-12 09:48 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11196125)
And people say they hate Best Buy. I don't get it.

Don't get me started. :) Suffice it to say it's not with their product or deals (which are sometimes decent) but with their policies (i.e. excuses) to get out of accepting legitimate coupons and pricematching... not to mention them being out of stock frequently, messing up in-store pickup orders, and then saying they can't make any adjustments to ISP orders until the next day because "the system doesn't allow it". I can't tell you how many times I've been there mid-week and seen their sales Blu-Ray section mostly empty (the stuff under $10). At least Target offers rain checks usually.

That said I've gotten some really killer deals on games and movies from them. For every time somebody posts in the Upgrade & Save thread that they were able to trade in promo DVDs or a HD-DVD in this promo, I can guarantee they won't do that for me. They shouldn't do it for anyone but BB is King of YMMV.

SoonerDoc 04-19-12 11:12 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11196632)
Don't get me started. :) Suffice it to say it's not with their product or deals (which are sometimes decent) but with their policies (i.e. excuses) to get out of accepting legitimate coupons and pricematching... not to mention them being out of stock frequently, messing up in-store pickup orders, and then saying they can't make any adjustments to ISP orders until the next day because "the system doesn't allow it". I can't tell you how many times I've been there mid-week and seen their sales Blu-Ray section mostly empty (the stuff under $10). At least Target offers rain checks usually.

That said I've gotten some really killer deals on games and movies from them. For every time somebody posts in the Upgrade & Save thread that they were able to trade in promo DVDs or a HD-DVD in this promo, I can guarantee they won't do that for me. They shouldn't do it for anyone but BB is King of YMMV.

This may be the most positve Manzana post in the history of DVDTalk.

Jtnguyen12 04-19-12 01:24 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Few movies i'll pick up next week ;)

Thor 3D
Spartacus
The Hangover 2
Excalibur
Iron Man 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead


Supernatural: The Complete Season 1/2/3/4/5/6 & Anime version
Vampire Diaries Season 1/2
Camelot Season 1

banthafett 04-19-12 02:21 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
[QUOTE=Manzana;11196632] I can't tell you how many times I've been there mid-week and seen their sales Blu-Ray section mostly empty (the stuff under $10).

[QUOTE]


Ive seen many times, a lady (same lady at all BB in areas) still putting sales tags up and sale product on the shelf for the first time mid-week. Going to these stores on Sun is pointless, they never have the tags and products out.

MooMooMooMoo 04-19-12 03:22 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Oh my......... i have so many worthless crap dvd's just sitting around............

flix1 04-19-12 03:30 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
I've traded in sampler DVDs that I received back in the day from Best Buy for free for purchasing other movies.

They took them without question.

adrenaline78 04-19-12 05:15 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Superdaddy (Post 11196375)
I don't own Gladiator so perhaps someone with that disc can tell you how to spot the improved pressing.

no idea about SPR.. but Gladiator has a yellow barcode to distinguish the improved pressing.









If there is a great deal, I'll be in. I was interested in possibly picking up Contraband and Haywire.. but maybe I'll peek at farther releases out. None of those $5 titles interested me.

DVDMagic 04-19-12 07:16 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by DVDMagic (Post 11196541)
Have abag that has my last round of dvd's in that I never got a chance to take up there, so I'll be ready

Has anybody been able to use these on music/concert blu rays?

I've seen some print that say they are excluded, but then a paragraph later it says it can be used on ANY BLU RAY

Maybe YMMV

Hopefully they won't have upped the price on 'Source Code' with the lenticular cover and there is a copy at my store. Also hoping that 'MI: GP' stays at $22.99 so I can get it for $17.99 since I missed the $19.99 price on Tuesday.

I'm gonna answer my own question here and say that music/concert blu's are included because in the ad itself it mentions The Rolling Stones Live in Texas '78 as been $17.99, but $12.99 after the coupon.

whotony 04-19-12 07:28 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
I recommend staying far away from the blu of Sparticus unless you mean the tv show. It is awful. And as mentioned only get the yellow barcode Gladiator.

Doug Schiller 04-20-12 08:56 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Yes, can't wait.

Even though I haven't even opened the last batch of Blu-Rays I picked up from the deal the last time.

;)

flix1 04-20-12 09:06 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller (Post 11198054)
Yes, can't wait.

Even though I haven't even opened the last batch of Blu-Rays I picked up from the deal the last time.

;)

Same here. I bought around 35 titles with the trade-in during January. Haven't watched 1 yet.

milo bloom 04-20-12 10:05 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
I've actually been purging my DVD collection of chafe over the last year, and I don't really have a whole lot I can get rid of (unless I can convince my wife to unload Meet the Fockers :yack: )

Manzana 04-20-12 10:38 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by flix1 (Post 11197176)
I've traded in sampler DVDs that I received back in the day from Best Buy for free for purchasing other movies.

They took them without question.

As I said earlier, BB is King of YMMV. It works for some people and never for me. Did you take them in the original (usually small or slim) cases or switch them into normal sized DVD cases?

Every time BB has had a Upgrade & Save offer, I've always brought along some promo DVDs (most from BB) just to see what happens. I've been denied 100% of the time, but then I don't try to disguise them in normal sized DVD cases, so maybe that would increase my chances from 0% to 5%?

To me this whole Upgrade & Save hinges on one thing: identifying some BDs I want to buy at current sale prices. As I had mentioned, if I had had a crystal ball I would've held off buying the remaining Supernatural seasons and could've saved myself about $12 with 4 trade-ins, but that's out. Unless I see some other great deals, I'm not aware of anything I want to trade for yet. At least it lasts for a few weeks so there is hope for future weeks.

Someone mentioned Thor 3D... how much is that going to be next week? I might be able to stomach some 3D movies at $15 after discount, but $20 would be too much.

So, all I can say is I hope people post what they picked up and at what prices in this thread. I find such posts listing people's "hauls" very helpful and they often give me ideas since I don't want to spend loads of time looking through all their BDs online for those few gems I don't have at good prices.

kenbenobi 04-20-12 11:36 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 11197309)
no idea about SPR.. but Gladiator has a yellow barcode to distinguish the improved pressing.

Is there a disc replacement program for it? I have Gladiator, but it's opened already... Haven't watched it, but I think there was a rebate.

flix1 04-20-12 01:29 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 11198354)
Is there a disc replacement program for it? I have Gladiator, but it's opened already... Haven't watched it, but I think there was a rebate.

Exchange program:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=149851

I did the rebate too.

flix1 04-20-12 01:31 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11198233)
As I said earlier, BB is King of YMMV. It works for some people and never for me. Did you take them in the original (usually small or slim) cases or switch them into normal sized DVD cases?

The ones I traded in were Best Buy Fox Demo DVDs in standard DVD cases.

This is it:
http://www.amazon.com/FOX-DVD-Best-D.../dp/B001NVVIRY

kenbenobi 04-20-12 03:43 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by flix1 (Post 11198504)
Exchange program:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=149851

I did the rebate too.

Awesome, thanks! I'll check my disc as soon as I get home. With any luck, I'll already have the remastered version... But I've had it for 2+ years, so I might not...
I need to check my SPR as well...

EDIT: My Gladiator was indeed the old version. My SPR was the new version. Wish it was reversed, since my SPR is still sealed... Guess I'll call them on Monday...

ProfessorEcho 04-20-12 05:26 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
What is everyone getting with the coupon? What are some of the best deals right now?

Schloob1 04-20-12 05:59 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Looking at getting the following titles. Under $7 is what I consider a deal mind you. Otherwise I have lots of patience and unopened movies from previous deals still waiting to be watched anyways.

Source Code $6

these for $5

Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Boondock Saints
Happy Gilmore

Hangover Part 2 (if still $9.99 but don't know as there was no tag on shelf to know for sure would also be $5)

Edison 04-20-12 11:03 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11198233)
Someone mentioned Thor 3D... how much is that going to be next week? I might be able to stomach some 3D movies at $15 after discount, but $20 would be too much.

Thor 3D and Captain America 3D are on sale right now for $24.99 so they would be $19.99 after the trade-in coupon.


Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11198848)
What is everyone getting with the coupon?

I think I'll pick up Supernatural season 5, and 6 since I think 4 was the last one I caught. That is if I can find any dvd's to get rid of, after three(?) of these upgrade & save promos I've pretty much exhausted my supply. I did see a couple of titles for $1.88 at Big Lots maybe I could use those (I've never had any luck with the samplers here).

Cardsfan111 04-20-12 11:31 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by Edison (Post 11199229)
I did see a couple of titles for $1.88 at Big Lots maybe I could use those (I've never had any luck with the samplers here).

If you have a Dollar Tree store, there's a thread in the DVD Bargains forum reporting that most stores have set out a good-size display of titles this week.

Doc Moonlight 04-21-12 10:46 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Stopped by a Blockbuster that is closing Sunday. They had several sealed copies of a John McCain biography disc that was stickered at $.99. Since "new" DVDs are 70% off, I bought six copies at $.30 each to use for the Best Buy trade-in. I also bought a new BluRay of "My Soul to Take", so I'm going to try trading in the Rental Edition BluRay that I picked up at another location. I don't know whether they'll accept a BluRay as a trade-in (since it's supposed to be for DVDs), but I guess I'll find out.

Sweet Baby James 04-21-12 10:58 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11198848)
What is everyone getting with the coupon? What are some of the best deals right now?

Supernatural 6 & Nikita 1 shall be mine for just under $30.:)

Illini Jeeper 04-21-12 11:09 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012
 
Just grabbed my first group of $1 DVDs from Dollar Tree and scouted out the Champaign Best Buy. I figure I'll swing in right after store opening and grab the more limited titles before it gets too late.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.