Reload this Page >

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Old 04-25-12, 03:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Years ago I bought a bunch of 4 disc Die Hard collections that came with $10 movie cash for about $8 each after a price mistake/match at Circuit City.

I'm finally unloading all of those discs. No UPCs on the individual cases, but they have taken about 1o of them so far.
Old 04-25-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to get Kate and Leopold today but it rang up at $7.99. Yesterday I was in a good mood but today I was a little pissed. It shows $9.99 with no signs anywhere of the lower price. i was too busy to grab a manager. My mom likes the movie so I was going to upgrade and give her my DVD. I'll try tomorrow when I have more time to argue.
Old 04-25-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I tried to get Kate and Leopold today but it rang up at $7.99. Yesterday I was in a good mood but today I was a little pissed. It shows $9.99 with no signs anywhere of the lower price. i was too busy to grab a manager. My mom likes the movie so I was going to upgrade and give her my DVD. I'll try tomorrow when I have more time to argue.
Or you could have just paid the 7.99 and used the DVD trade for an item that would give you a $5 savings instead of $3. What are you going to spend in gas to get back there tomorrow?
Old 04-25-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
Has anyone tried ordering some out-of-stock catalog titles from a physical store with this trade-in deal? I know the first post restrictions state "Valid on in-stock Blu-ray movies only," but it also states the price is taken from the original Best Buy price, and we know that's not true.

There's four Blu titles listed on the Best Buy website as being $9.99, but I cannot locate them as in stock at any of my nearby locations. I'm wondering if I went to customer service with four DVDs to trade in, would they allow me to special order/prepay for those four movies and I just come in to pick them up when they arrive in a week or so?
Some titles show up as not available for in-store pickup but if you can find them in-store the coupon will work. I picked up Alien vs Predator which is listed as not available for in-store pickup.

For $4.99 I picked up:
Alien vs Predator
Alien vs Predator: Requiem
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Incredible Hulk
Kill the Irishman
Old 04-25-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $4.99:
Happy Gilmore
Billy Madison
Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure

For $9.99:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

For $7.99:
Das Boot
(Not opening it. In hopes that they release the unedited version.)
Old 04-25-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
Or you could have just paid the 7.99 and used the DVD trade for an item that would give you a $5 savings instead of $3. What are you going to spend in gas to get back there tomorrow?
I get your point but I'm on the road all day so the simple answer is nothing. I'll look for some more 9.99 titles. I was just a little disappointed. It's only $3 but they seem to drop a lot of titles so they don't qualify
Old 04-25-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by darkhawk View Post
For $7.99:
Das Boot
Old 04-25-12, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by POWERBOMB View Post
Has anyone traded in a dvd for a bluray of the same movie? My wife thinks it's sounds crazy to upgrade from a dvd to the same title (as if taking a movie and buying a different title somehow makes more sense). I don't have any movies I want to get rid of, but I wouldn't mind replacing with an upgrade. I really need some cases. I might hit up the Dollar store.
I did!

I traded my Fast Times At Ridgemont High: CE and The Blues Brothers: CE DVDs for their Universal 100th Anniversary Blu-ray counter parts. So it's not at all.
Old 04-25-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
Has anyone tried ordering some out-of-stock catalog titles from a physical store with this trade-in deal? I know the first post restrictions state "Valid on in-stock Blu-ray movies only," but it also states the price is taken from the original Best Buy price, and we know that's not true.

There's four Blu titles listed on the Best Buy website as being $9.99, but I cannot locate them as in stock at any of my nearby locations. I'm wondering if I went to customer service with four DVDs to trade in, would they allow me to special order/prepay for those four movies and I just come in to pick them up when they arrive in a week or so?
It won't work. When placing an order at the store for in-store pickup, the associates basically use an internal version of bestbuy.com. Since the coupons won't work with bestbuy.com, they won't work with an in-store order either. I speak from experience, since I tried to do what you're asking about last summer during one of the Trade & Save events.
Old 04-25-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today's haul:
Excalibur - 4.99
Space Jam- 4.99
Wes Craven Collection- 4.99
Monty Pythong and the Holy Grail - 9.99
Nikita S1 - 13.99

I stopped being creative. I traded in 5 sealed Fox DVD Sampler discs from many, many years ago. The guy even commented on how old they were, and laughed.
Old 04-25-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

I picked up the following after coupon:

MI:4 (Best Buy exclusive) - $15
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - $10
Psycho - $5

Psycho is no longer stocked by the stores, so whatever you can find on the shelves is all that is left. I got the last one on Oahu. You can't find online stock information for it, but if you call the store directly and give them the SKU (1255438) they can tell you the exact stock they have on hand (if any). They can also look up the stock levels of nearby stores.

This is probably the case for all the titles that say "Store Pickup: Not Available", such as the aforementioned Alien vs. Predator.
Old 04-25-12, 09:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Kate and Leopold is on sale for 7.99. There was a whole endcap with 7.99 movies at my store.

Thanks for the heads up on MI:4 (BB exclusive), went back today and got it. As glad as I am to get it for 14.99, I'm a little annoyed at the whole "Tuesday Only Price" BS. I made a special trip last Tuesday just to get it...
Old 04-25-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,299 Posts

So I decided to participate in this yet again. Went through alot of my stuff and got rid of:

SPL (Saat Po Lung) DVD (HK action movie)...awesome action flick, but I picked up the Dragon Dynasty version a few years ago and don't need duplicates.

Sammo Hung DVD collection (3 movies) I threw away the slip cover and sold them as 3 separate movies. Just couldn't get into these old school Kung Fu comedies.

Moonlight in Tokyo (HK comedy)....Never watched it. Don't know why I picked this up from a Chinese DVD shop in LA.

Picked up:

Justified season 2

Battle: LA

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I still have $10 left. Also, I did not know they limit you to 5 trade-ins per day. I dug up 12 more movies that I have to hold on to for another day.
Old 04-25-12, 09:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts

FYI for those trying to find Dollar Tree $1 DVDs for the trade-in. Like many of you, I'm finding the recent batch of Sony DVDs to be mainly sold out at all of my local Dollar Trees. But, in the kids section, I keep finding a small pile of sort-of educational DVDs, and they ring up at 25 cents each.

Last edited by Trevor; 04-27-12 at 10:11 AM. Reason: 25 cents, not 50
Old 04-25-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
I picked up the following after coupon:

MI:4 (Best Buy exclusive) - $15
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - $10
Psycho - $5

Psycho is no longer stocked by the stores, so whatever you can find on the shelves is all that is left. I got the last one on Oahu. You can't find online stock information for it, but if you call the store directly and give them the SKU (1255438) they can tell you the exact stock they have on hand (if any). They can also look up the stock levels of nearby stores.

This is probably the case for all the titles that say "Store Pickup: Not Available", such as the aforementioned Alien vs. Predator.
Which Best Buy did you find the Psycho? I went to the Iwilei one and they didn't have it. I was going to check out the Aiea one next week. Well now I know I can scratch Psycho off the want list.

For some reason, it seems like that Aiea one has more catalog (ie older) titles than the Iwilei.
Old 04-25-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Have people in SoCal found Hitch's Pyscho 50th Anniversary edition in stores ?both of the two stores I went to did not have this and store pickup shows unavailable. TIA
I found one in West Covina, and as of 4/23, there were two copies in Glendora.
Old 04-25-12, 10:49 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows what BB does with the DVD trade-ins?

I hope that they donate them to charity (perhaps to our troops) or at least recycle them.

Not that it really matters, just wondering.
Old 04-25-12, 11:05 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

They buy DVD on their website in the trade in center. I'd guess the firm handling their buy back gets it.
Old 04-26-12, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
FYI for those trying to find Dollar Tree $1 DVDs for the trade-in. Like many of you, I'm finding the recent batch of Sony DVDs to be mainly sold out at all of my local Dollar Trees. But, in the kids section, I keep finding a small pile of sort-of educational DVDs, and they ring up at 50 cents each.
Found some at Dollar Tree as low as 4 for a dollar. In slim lines, but I have plenty of empty cases to make sure Best Buy accepts them.
Old 04-26-12, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
: Das Boot
I'm not opening it until I'm ready to watch it again. Heard talks of releasing the unedited version on BD. If the unedited version is released, I'll sell this one. I'd rather watch the longer version.
Old 04-26-12, 07:13 AM

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a couple dollar DVDs that came in cardboard cases, anyone think I'd have an issue trading them in? Not like cardboard sleeves, but DVD case-size carboard.
Old 04-26-12, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows what BB does with the DVD trade-ins?

I hope that they donate them to charity (perhaps to our troops) or at least recycle them.

Not that it really matters, just wondering.
Based on the crappy sampler discs I've been trading in, I truly hope they DON'T go to charity, or at least throw out the worthless discs and donate only the legit movies...
Old 04-26-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 261 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhawk View Post

For $7.99:
Das Boot
Is Das Boot the one disc version or the 2 disc version?

I was about to buy it at my local Best Buy, but the one they had was the 1 disc version.
Old 04-26-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I get your point but I'm on the road all day so the simple answer is nothing. I'll look for some more 9.99 titles. I was just a little disappointed. It's only $3 but they seem to drop a lot of titles so they don't qualify
That wasn't the case with Kate & Leopold. I picked it up a week or two before the promotion started and it's been $7.99 since at least then.
Old 04-26-12, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
It won't work. When placing an order at the store for in-store pickup, the associates basically use an internal version of bestbuy.com. Since the coupons won't work with bestbuy.com, they won't work with an in-store order either. I speak from experience, since I tried to do what you're asking about last summer during one of the Trade & Save events.
Yeah, I found this out when I visited them again last evening. While they were trying to hunt down the store manager to inquire, one rep even suggested I might be able to order the discs I want online, return them to the store making them "available" to purchase, and then repurchase them with the trade-in vouchers. But then they never mentioned this again after speaking with the manager. It's not that huge of an issue, to me. I'm limiting myself to purchasing catalog titles that end up being $4.99, as that's my limit for what I consider upgrading DVDs to Blus in my collection.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.