DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/600804-best-buy-upgrade-save-%245-off-blu-ray-titles-apr-22-may-12-2012-a.html)

g 04-22-12 05:49 PM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Did other people get this bs about the coupons only being good for same day? I didn't trade one in because they claimed it had to be used today. I didn't have this last problem time.

MooMooMooMoo 04-22-12 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by g (Post 11201188)
Did other people get this bs about the coupons only being good for same day? I didn't trade one in because they claimed it had to be used today. I didn't have this last problem time.

No. they clearly told me they are good until 5/12.

MooMooMooMoo 04-22-12 06:00 PM

I knew there was a reason I bought all those $3 3 packs at Big Lots last year! Traded in 2 Dirty Sanchez, 2 Kennedy Mystique & 1 BL floater that i hadn't bothered to return.

It does appear YMMV on Blu-ray concerts; there computer shows some as cd's. I ran into that today, a manager overrode the system with no hassle.

I got 3 BR's:
1. Clockwork Orange $5
2. Grateful Dead Movie 2 Disc $15
3. Gary Moore Montreux $10

N8 Storm 04-22-12 07:35 PM

Yes. They told me that I had to get the blu-ray right then when I went to trade in my DVD. They held my DVD while I looked around the store. Luckily, I was able to find something or I just would have left with my old DVD. The last time around, they gave me a coupon that I could use until the end date.

The Questyen 04-22-12 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 (Post 11201170)
I haven't been in my local BB for awhile, and was surprised at how small the BD section is now...pretty much just one aisle, and half of another. Still..picked up

To Catch a Thief
Psycho
Midnight in Paris
Once Upon a Time in the West

That sucks. My closest store has 8-10 aisles of blu-rays not counting the new release and multiple end caps and such.

N8 Storm 04-22-12 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11201195)
I knew there was a reason I bought all those $3 3 packs at Big Lots last year! Traded in 2 Dirty Sanchez, 2 Kennedy Mystique & 1 BL floater that i hadn't bothered to return.

It does appear YMMV on Blu-ray concerts; there computer shows some as cd's. I ran into that today, a manager overrode the system with no hassle.

I got 3 BR's:
1. Clockwork Orange $5
2. Grateful Dead Movie 2 Disc $15
3. Gary Moore Montreux $10

Have you ever had issues with DVDs that have slashes through the UPC and Best Buy taking them? I know some of my Big Lots DVDs have that.

walletboyniac 04-22-12 08:26 PM

I traded one in with the slash through the UPC today, and they didn't even look.

Also, I took a coupon & receipt home for future use... but basically had to tell them how to do it from the last Upgrade & Save.

BambooLounge 04-22-12 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by N8 Storm (Post 11201300)
Have you ever had issues with DVDs that have slashes through the UPC and Best Buy taking them? I know some of my Big Lots DVDs have that.

One of my trade-ins had a slash through the UPC and they didnt look. I was pretty surprised, the woman didn't even check to see if there were discs in the cases. She just counted the stack I handed her and printed out the receipts for me.

kenbenobi 04-22-12 08:45 PM

I got:
Supernatural S6
Big
Prophecy Collection
From Dusk til Dawn Collection
It's Kind of a Funny Story
All $4.99 except for Supernatural of course... I traded in 3 legit titles, plus a Fox DVD Sampler, and one case that didn't even have a disc in it (it was sealed, because it contained Balls of Fury movie cash)

PerryD 04-22-12 09:13 PM

I got to my store just after opening and was pretty much the only guy in the movie area the whole time I was there, so no fighting any crowds for this promotion. Picked up Nikita S1, Vampire Diaries S1 and S2, Supernatural S1, each were $13.99, and I picked up Ferris Bueller for $4.99. Passed on the other Supernatural season sets for now, although S4 had an exclusive lenticular cover that I gave some consideration.

STLCARDINALS 04-22-12 09:15 PM

I spoke with the manager today at Best Buy... each store is allowed to handle it their own way. Some can choose to make you do the trade the same visit while others can give you the coupon to redeen in the future before the promotion ends. Luckily, this store gave me the coupons so I traed in 5 DVDs and left with 5 coupons. Something else new I noticed is that it says it can be used on reg price OR promotional price (sale) items.. previously it was $5 off the regular price only. But of course, it would ring up just fine on sales items. At lease now, the coupon clearly says you can use it on sale items also :) I will hunt down the best $9.99 movies to buy for $5 now...

Paul_SD 04-22-12 09:21 PM

First time I'm able to take advantage of this offer. Unfortunately most of what I want is oddball catalog stuff that BB never carries.
Still, was able to snag a few good deals
Conan the Barbarian ($5)
Crazy Stupid Love ($5)
Bad Girls ($5)
Fast Times At Ridgemont High ($10 - I either picked up the wrong version or else I need to get the price adjusted as it is supposed to be on sale this week for $2 less)
Justified Season 2 ($15)

Plan to go back tomorrow for several more I missed today. Hopefully they still have a copy of each left.

The really nice thing about this offer is that it prompts me to finally stop hoarding stuff that is essentially worthless but that I hate to just throw away or let go for pennies.

BTW, had no problem today turning in discs with slashed bar codes, or even the free BB promo discs from way back. Sometimes hoarding really does pay off.

mw390 04-22-12 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by N8 Storm (Post 11201297)
Yes. They told me that I had to get the blu-ray right then when I went to trade in my DVD. They held my DVD while I looked around the store. Luckily, I was able to find something or I just would have left with my old DVD. The last time around, they gave me a coupon that I could use until the end date.

That's a crock of shit. Do it one of 2 ways. Go in and find out what you want. Go out to your car, trade em in and buy what you found -OR- what I do is, the yellow shirt guy (security) puts those idiotic tags on, shop, find what you want, go to CS desk and do the deal right there.

mw390 04-22-12 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by STLCARDINALS (Post 11201433)
I spoke with the manager today at Best Buy... each store is allowed to handle it their own way. Some can choose to make you do the trade the same visit while others can give you the coupon to redeen in the future before the promotion ends. Luckily, this store gave me the coupons so I traed in 5 DVDs and left with 5 coupons. Something else new I noticed is that it says it can be used on reg price OR promotional price (sale) items.. previously it was $5 off the regular price only. But of course, it would ring up just fine on sales items. At lease now, the coupon clearly says you can use it on sale items also :) I will hunt down the best $9.99 movies to buy for $5 now...

He's a liar. The ad clearly states they give you a receipt. The ad DOES say regular price but then the ad goes and contradicts itself and shows titles that are on sale and they give you the with and without coupon price. If they tell you otherwise walkout and call corporate and tell them clearly you're pissed. Unfortunately if you live in a small town you're screwed. I have 10 stores within a 25 mile radius of me

mw390 04-22-12 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge (Post 11201360)
One of my trade-ins had a slash through the UPC and they didnt look. I was pretty surprised, the woman didn't even check to see if there were discs in the cases. She just counted the stack I handed her and printed out the receipts for me.

They don't care. At my nearby store they just dump em in what looks like a plastic recycling bin.

mw390 04-22-12 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 11201298)
That sucks. My closest store has 8-10 aisles of blu-rays not counting the new release and multiple end caps and such.

They made a conscious decision a year or so ago to slash the CD and DVD selection. Geniuses. They figured they would expand the TV and game selection areas. How'd that work out? I like in metro NYC area and we could browse at Tower, Virgin, C City (they were a mess though). Now what have we got? FYE and Bestbuy. They should get rid of the washing machines, blenders, toasters, musical instruments and concentrate on entertainment hardware and especially software. Software sells the hardware. Same for computers. Piss poor selection of notebooks.

mw390 04-22-12 09:47 PM

Tell em to shove it, and ask them why do they think the business community thinks they're going to out of business?

mw390 04-22-12 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11200671)
Too bad we can't get the coupon from the store and then order the titles online with the coupon codes.

That would make sense wouldn't it? Especially since there's a piss poor selection in the store. I have 10-20 discs I'd like to do a 1:1 upgrade but can't since they're NOT in stock

mw390 04-22-12 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 11199247)
If you have a Dollar Tree store, there's a thread in the DVD Bargains forum reporting that most stores have set out a good-size display of titles this week.

Wow, good idea! There's tons around here..

glassdragon 04-22-12 10:04 PM

You do realize there is a multi-quote function (the paper with the " on it by the quote button) and you don't have to make 30 posts in a row to reply to people

Brooklyn 04-22-12 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11201195)

I ran into this the last time they ran this promotion.

jiggyblau 04-22-12 10:56 PM

First wave I picked up today:

Happy Gilmore ($5)
Billy Madison ($5)
Dead Poets Society ($10)
Good Morning Vietnam ($10)
Midnight in Paris ($15)

I'll go back for more if they get some stuff in stock, but many catalog titles I wanted (To Catch a Thief, Miracle, etc) were not there.

Also, the next two week seem like slim pickings for new releases. I hope there are some good sales to combine with this offer.

rudyhasdvd 04-23-12 12:11 AM

Ended up picking up Justified Season 2. I had a hard time deciding between To Catch a Thief, Conan the Barbarian and Gladiator. I settled on the better deal since Target is selling the dvd version of Justified for 27.99. I feel as if To Catch a Thief will eventually just be 9.99 on Amazon so I couldn't (absolutely no pun intended) justify trading in another dvd.

What ticked me was that they had a full display at the BB in Woodland, CA with the trade-in 4.99 titles and both Conan the Barbarian and Psycho are out of stock, I went at 5 p.m. it almost felt deliberate that they were no copies of the better buys out of stock. A single copy of Conan was hidden in the shelves. Does anyone know if will they get more copies on Tuesday?

A heads up for fans of Attack the Block, I'm not sure if this will work but the blus of Attack the Block were labeled 16.99 in store but 19.99 online, I'm not sure if any of you will want to go through the effort to argue for it and get it at 11.99. But I have a feeling if you're persuasive you could probably get it at that price in store.

MooMooMooMoo 04-23-12 12:14 AM

I haven't tried. Was wondering the same thing!

mw390 04-23-12 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 11201502)
You do realize there is a multi-quote function (the paper with the " on it by the quote button) and you don't have to make 30 posts in a row to reply to people

Gee thanks. I only post occasionally as you can see from my # of posts and that " mark only appears when you logon which I normally don't when I view these pages. I see you're a busy guy (almost 7200 posts). Do you pay for the disc storage on the server out of your own pocket?