DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/600804-best-buy-upgrade-save-%245-off-blu-ray-titles-apr-22-may-12-2012-a.html)

Artman 05-02-12 12:02 AM

Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, $5 Off Blu-ray titles, Apr 22 - May 12, 2012

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11214947)
Well, I may be SOL on the remaining 4 vouchers I have. The receipt I had got soda spilled on it, and I didn't think much of it so I threw it in the trash. I'm reading the fine print at the bottom that says you need a receipt to use them. That blows.

Just depends on the cashier you get (and the orders they've been given by the manager). I could not have had two more different experiences today...at one store my valid receipt was met with hostility, and the other I was almost laughed at for even offering it.

sleepyhead55 05-02-12 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 11215027)
Just depends on the cashier you get (and the orders they've been given by the manager). I could not have had two more different experiences today...at one store my valid receipt was met with hostility, and the other I was almost laughed at for even offering it.

The one I went to actually took the receipt I had to ask for it back because I didn't use all of the trade and save coupons on that one visit.

Got lucky and picked up Psycho for $5. Weird for me, since I went there last week and couldn't find it.

Unfortunately, they were all sold out of Clueless, which I really wanted.

Peep 05-02-12 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11214793)
My logic is amusing? I went to 3 different stores and they were all the same. There's nothing else to base my opinion on.

I'm glad you took that much time out of your day to prove me wrong. Hope the cost in gas was worth it. :lol:

Another ridiculous leap in logic. I didn't go to any stores to prove you wrong. I went to the stores several days earlier to find the flipper version because I wanted it and I wanted to see what extra titles were in stock at each store. Proving you wrong had nothing to do with it.

KrazyJason 05-02-12 04:23 AM

My five for five: Psycho, American Beauty (Paramount 100th slip), Forest Gump (with Paramount 100th slip), Excalibur, Wes Craven 4 movie pack. Also, I picked up Roadracers for 7.99. I'll be going back for more. I really want Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. But I want the Best Buy exclusive lenticular slip. I believe that one is 19.99 vs 14.99 for the new edition (which also has a nice slip, but I just love the lenticular). Annnnywho, if you want visuals, I documented my trip as per usual. Link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1-KhUlyNM

darkhawk 05-02-12 04:56 AM

I got The Desendants for $9.99 after using the $5 uprade coupons and the $5 coupon from coupons.com.
Also got West Side Story for $11.99 with BB $5 and coupons.com $3 coupons.

MooMooMooMoo 05-02-12 05:31 AM

I'm hoping they add more $9.99 titles before the promotion is over. i have tons of junk dvd's, but BB has nothing left at the $9.99 price point I want.

MooMooMooMoo 05-02-12 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 11214908)
Stay away from the Bellevue, WA store - I was denied using the coupons I had already received (at the Lynnwood location) because I had to use all four that my receipt showed, and at the time of trade-in. Their was no reasoning with these ladies either... I'm considering emailing a complaint.

So, went to Lynnwood and was actually treated nicely... got Haywire and Robin Hood:POT for $20. The cashier didn't seem surprised by my trouble at Bellevue, guess it's a just a poorly managed store. (unfortunately it's not being closed)

Thanks for the warning on Bellevue. I'm relatively close.

Schloob1 05-02-12 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11215151)
I'm hoping they add more $9.99 titles before the promotion is over. i have tons of junk dvd's, but BB has nothing left at the $9.99 price point I want.

I am hoping this is the case too. Please note everyone that most of the $9.99 sale titles right now on the shelf tags have an end date of this Saturday so if you are on the fence about any of them make your decision now.

joltman 05-02-12 07:38 AM

I went in yesterday with two DVDs, one of which was a dollar Popeye DVD I picked up a while ago that was in a cardboard case (not a sleeve, regular size case) and there wasn't any issues taking it.
Also, I got my $3 for Space Jam and Final Destination 2 and 3 which are all $1 cheaper than they were last week. It seemed like the system wasn't letting her do it and she needed to call over a manager, but I wasn't given any hassle.

DVD Polizei 05-02-12 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 11215027)

I think they should rename their company to Best Try.

Manzana 05-02-12 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11215246)
I think they should rename their company to Best Try.

While that's one possible name, believe me there are betters ones: Worst Buy and Best Deny. I know some people hate it when I use those terms. I just use "BB" most of the time because I can't stomach using the word Best in their name, but I'm trying not to provoke the other people by using those other terms. If they changed their name to "YMMV Buy" or "So-So Buy" then I could stomach using their full name.

And as I've said many times, my whole "beef" with them is their huge YMMV on many deals, especially if it involves a coupon of any type (theirs, manufacturer, whatever). Typically the words "may not be combined with other offers" that is present on virtually every coupon in existence gives employees the excuse they need to deny it IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT because they argue that any price below their full retail price is an "offer" and therefore the coupon cannot be combined. It's a miracle that upgrade & save coupons work on sale items, but for some reason employees haven't been denying those.

So the quality of a BB experience that involves any coupons depends on (1) do they have the item in stock (often the answer is no) and (2) do you get an employee who likes to say no to coupons. As always YMMV. I sometimes have success, but BB is too YMMV for my tastes.

nando820 05-02-12 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11215153)
Thanks for the warning on Bellevue. I'm relatively close.

The good thing about the Bellevue store though is that usually they have the titles that other stores have already run out of. Many times during these Trade & Save promotions when I want a title that all the other stores have run out of, I go to the Bellevue store cause they usually still have it. I think it has to do with more rich people living there, they don't care bout sale prices much.

FilmJunkie29 05-02-12 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Hasn't been mentioned but there is a $5 off coupon for The Descendants on coupons.com. If you combine it with the $5 upgrade and save coupon the total comes out to $10.

Also, there is also a When Harry Met Sally $3 off coupon on coupons.com as well.

Originally Posted by dugnarug (Post 11214399)
Has anyone tried doing this yet? Just curious if its a smooth process or one of those ymmv situations where they can accept or deny it.

I tried this today with both "The Descendants" and "When Harry Met Sally." They had to call a manager over, and he said that I could not use it on "Harry" because it's only 9.99, and that when you use the $3 off coupon it takes it down to $6.99, which then makes it ineligible for the promotion. I could have made the argument to reverse the order of the coupons, but that's what the cashier initially tried, and it didn't work either. However, it worked on "The Descendants" since it was $19.99, so I got that for $9.99. That made me happy. And I don't mind paying $4.99 for "When Harry Met Sally," that's still cheap and it's worth it.

FilmJunkie29 05-02-12 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 11214390)
snagged CLUELESS ($6.99), HANGOVER II ($4.99) and 13 ASSASSINS ($9.99) today

Was 13 ASSASSINS on sale at your store? At the one here it's $19.99, as is the online price. Would love to pick up that movie for $10.

CapRockBrewingCo. 05-02-12 03:57 PM

Finally got time to go into Best Buy today. I took in 3 dvds and got 3 coupons in about 45 seconds.
I picked up:
The Dr. Strangelove Blu-ray Book for $9.99 AC
Midnight Cowboy for $9.99 AC and
Das Boot for $7.99 AC

POWERBOMB 05-02-12 06:28 PM

My final two purchases for this promotion are done. First a rant: I'm kinda peeved that I spent over an hour going thru their 9.99 discs on their website only to find that some of the titles I actually did find in store were not ringing up at the 9.99 price. They offered to price match but I couldn't use the $5 upgrade coupon. Then there were titles that were on sale for 7.99 in store (9.99 on the web) that didn't qualify either. Add to that movies they didn't have in stock (really wanted Pulp Fiction). Lastly, their movies were incorrectly priced in what seemed like every other title i picked up. Kill Bill Vols 1 & 2 were individually priced at 7.99, 14.99 and 24.99. They need to get some employees to spend a few days checking the price of every single disc in their inventory. This may be affecting the sales in your movie dept. Just a suggestion.

So today I picked up total out of pocket $30 and some change:
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Iron Man
Ghostbusters
Doom
Terminator Salvation Director's Cut
Van Helsing

I missed out on Spartacus, The Thing, Enforcer/Sudden Impact, Terminator 2, and Pulp Fiction.

b2net 05-02-12 06:44 PM

I have been using the technique of taking my DVDs to the store with me.. then shopping to ensure there were titles I wanted... then I go out to my car and bring back in enough DVDs to get coupons for the titles I will actually buy... last time I had 2 coupons I almost went nuts trying to use before they expired..

Laser Movies 05-02-12 06:50 PM

Since I was near a BB store today dropped by to trade in a couple of worthless old DVDs. Not much I wanted but managed to find two. Ended up getting the following after trade in price.

Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men $4.99
Miracle $2.99

DVDude! 05-02-12 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 11216322)
I have been using the technique of taking my DVDs to the store with me.. then shopping to ensure there were titles I wanted... then I go out to my car and bring back in enough DVDs to get coupons for the titles I will actually buy...

That's exactly what I did the other day. I went in to ensure that they had five I wanted. Now I have a list of four more to try and will likely go back tomorrow.

Incidentally, I was able to successfully trade in region 0 and region 2 import titles that I haven't been able to offload on Amazon Marketplace for months. The cashier opened the cases to ensure that there were discs inside and I was good to go.

TheBang 05-02-12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by FilmJunkie29 (Post 11215990)
They had to call a manager over, and he said that I could not use it on "Harry" because it's only 9.99, and that when you use the $3 off coupon it takes it down to $6.99, which then makes it ineligible for the promotion. I could have made the argument to reverse the order of the coupons, but that's what the cashier initially tried, and it didn't work either.

It should have worked. Last promotion, I successfully did Donnie Darko at $9.99 minus $5 upgrade coupon, minus $3 coupons.com coupon, for $1.99 out the door.

I'd suggest trying it again. Check the Q&A in the first post for tips on manufacturer's coupons. The manufacturer's coupon is scanned during the tender phase of the transaction.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the manufacturer's coupon might not scan, if they don't have the UPC in their database. The cashier would then have to enter it manually, which shouldn't matter. But YMMV, as you might need a sympathetic or dumb (or smart) cashier, who won't get a manager involved.

flix1 05-02-12 08:13 PM

Crap. Looks like I might end up 1 season shy of finishing my Supernatural set. It has taken me a few stores, but I have gotten every season of Supernatural but Season 2 @ $13.99 (after trade in coupon). I can't find it on BD in any Best Buy.

philly1981 05-02-12 08:30 PM

I went this past friday to try this out for the first time. I took in hellboy 2 the golden army DVD, and got the crow for 4.99. I went today again and took in 3 DVDs, anotomy, pitch black, copland, and, got Goodfellas, The Departed, The Godfather with the paramount 100 aniversary slipcover , each one for 4.99. Im going to go again this weekend and take in 3 more DVDs.

FilmJunkie29 05-02-12 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B. (Post 11216414)
It should have worked. Last promotion, I successfully did Donnie Darko at $9.99 minus $5 upgrade coupon, minus $3 coupons.com coupon, for $1.99 out the door.

I'd suggest trying it again. Check the Q&A in the first post for tips on manufacturer's coupons. The manufacturer's coupon is scanned during the tender phase of the transaction.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the manufacturer's coupon might not scan, if they don't have the UPC in their database. The cashier would then have to enter it manually, which shouldn't matter. But YMMV, as you might need a sympathetic or dumb (or smart) cashier, who won't get a manager involved.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. The kid waiting on me was a new employee, he said it was one of his first shifts at the register, he was pretty quick on getting a manager over when he didn't know what to do. He tried scanning the coupon, and it didn't work, so as you said, it probably wasn't in their database.

HeartlessRiku 05-02-12 09:50 PM

This is my first post. But I picked up:

Psycho for 5 dollars (got the last one in store)
Beauty and the Beast for 25.
Forest Gump (the one in that red slip) for 5.

I was going to get some other things over Beauty and the Beast but I had the hardest time locating a copy in my area.

philly1981 05-02-12 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=KrazyJason;11215142]My five for five: Psycho, American Beauty (Paramount 100th slip), Forest Gump (with Paramount 100th slip), Excalibur, Wes Craven 4 movie pack. Also, I picked up Roadracers for 7.99. I'll be going back for more. I really want Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. But I want the Best Buy exclusive lenticular slip. I believe that one is 19.99 vs 14.99 for the new edition (which also has a nice slip, but I just love the lenticular). Annnnywho, if you want visuals, I documented my trip as per usual. Link below.

Hey i just subscribe to you on youtube lol great videos