Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

This thread is to report Blu Ray bargains at the BB closing store locations.
Information like current prices,store locations,available titles and any other info is greatly appreciated when discussing what you have found/purchased etc.
Old 03-01-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Blockbuster Closing Store Bargains Thread 2012

Off CR210 South of Jacksonville, FL, as of yesterday all blus and regular dvds in cases were $3.99 and all blus and regular dvds in sleeves were $1.99. Don't know of any other store in Jax that is closing. Not many left anyway....
Old 03-01-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just found out my local Blockbuster has it's BDs down to $9.99 and $7.99.

I had though that would be my price point, but just couldn't bring myself to pickup any of the handful of titles I had thought I would buy at those prices. Anyone else suffering from indecision?

I'll stop back next week some time, find those gone and kick myself.
Old 03-02-12, 06:48 AM

Tomorrow I'm making my last visit to my penultimate BB that I used to shop at, #7 of 8 on my circuit. Albert Lea MN. (It closes in a week or two.) After that there's just one left. Apart from Amazon, I probably spent more at BB than anywhere else in a given year. A great source for used disks, now pretty much kaput.
Old 03-02-12, 01:20 PM

The Blockbuster in my area (OKC) has all used Blu-rays and DVDs at $3.99 with coverless titles 5 for $7.50. That's with the store closing in 3 weeks. Picked up Natural Born Killers and The Fighter only because they were the last Blu ray copies left. Otherwise might have rolled the dice and waited for them to go to $2.99 in a week.

Coverless I've bought copies of City of God, Days of Heaven, Cyrus Bluray, and Extras Season 2.

$3.99 is usually my price point, but not if I know the price will be lower.
Old 03-02-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by sydonesia
The Blockbuster in my area (OKC) has all used Blu-rays and DVDs at $3.99 with coverless titles 5 for $7.50. That's with the store closing in 3 weeks. Picked up Natural Born Killers and The Fighter only because they were the last Blu ray copies left. Otherwise might have rolled the dice and waited for them to go to $2.99 in a week.

Coverless I've bought copies of City of God, Days of Heaven, Cyrus Bluray, and Extras Season 2.

Was the used Blu-Ray selection at $3.99 (not the coverless "sleeve" titles) pretty bad at your store or was there still a lot of decent stuff to choose from?

$3.99 is my price point too, but I fear that most other people's (not SD'ers or DVD-Talk-ers) price point is $4.99 or $5.99 meaning all of the good stuff will be gone if I wait until $3.99. That's why I'm so curious how good of a selection people are finding at $3.99 each.
Old 03-02-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sydonesia

Which store? Casady Square?
Old 03-02-12, 05:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Manzana
Was the used Blu-Ray selection at $3.99 (not the coverless "sleeve" titles) pretty bad at your store or was there still a lot of decent stuff to choose from?

$3.99 is my price point too, but I fear that most other people's (not SD'ers or DVD-Talk-ers) price point is $4.99 or $5.99 meaning all of the good stuff will be gone if I wait until $3.99. That's why I'm so curious how good of a selection people are finding at $3.99 each.
Having frequented 3 stores that are now either closed or less than 3.99, I can tell you most everything is good by this time. I managed to find Sunshine and 500 Days of Summer which are decent films and have pretty good resale value, but everything else was pretty mediocre. Again,stores still had round 300 titles but most of them were either straight to DVD titles or mainstream failures. At least it's better than Borders going out of business!
Old 03-02-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if the store here (Lexington, KY - Saron Drive) is a "liquidation store" or what but the majority of what is left rings up at $1.30... Even though the sign out front says $3.99. All BD have cover art in Blockbuster DVD cases - no sleeve BD are available, just DVD.

Picked up a few titles at the $3 and $4 price points in previous weeks... Let the Right One In, Defiance, Frost/Nixon, The Kite Runner, A Prophet, The Sixth Sense, Micmacs.

Stopped in today and it looks like Disc Replay hit the store - there were 3 times the amount of blus just a few days ago. Not much left now so I have no idea how they plan on staying open until 3/26 - unless they get leftovers from other locations.

Grabbed these this week at $1.30 a pop...

American Violet, The Ghost Writer, State of Play, Lakeview Terrace, Trespass, Piranha, A Perfect Getaway, Harry Brown, Payback, Law Abiding Citizen, Brooklyn's Finest, Let Me In, The Forbidden Kingdom, Bad Lieutenant (Herzog), Gothika, A Serious Man.

Unless they get some more in, I'm done. Slim pickings at this point.
Old 03-02-12, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by skapooj
Having frequented 3 stores that are now either closed or less than 3.99, I can tell you most everything is good by this time. I managed to find Sunshine and 500 Days of Summer which are decent films and have pretty good resale value, but everything else was pretty mediocre. Again,stores still had round 300 titles but most of them were either straight to DVD titles or mainstream failures. At least it's better than Borders going out of business!
I'm sure you meant "most everything good is gone by this time." Your and Johnny Zhivago's posts were helpful. I think apart from The Sixth Sense and Micmacs, I saw every single title mentioned in both lists in the 5 for $20 sale last year. So at $3.99 it does seem there's almost nothing good left... just the 5 for $20 BDs nobody wanted last year.

Now that I have a little more anecdotal evidence, I'm not going to make the same mistake again I made with the 1 closing store that is $3.99 now. Basically I called them on the Monday they hit $4.99 BDs and the guy who answered the phone said they had lots of good stuff. Unfortunately I got sidetracked (by work and I also plain forgot) and never made it out there, so I called again this last Monday when they hit $3.99 and the guy who answered this time said there wasn't much good stuff left. Sounds like he was probably right. I'm monitoring my remaining stores (only 2 are closing right now and I missed my window of opportunity with 1 of them) every Monday and when they hit $4.99 I'm going that same Monday. I still have 4 stores not too far away that have yet to close, so I hope I'll do better with those closings.
Old 03-06-12, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
Which store? Casady Square?
Yes.

As for $3.99 titles, it looks like everything released in the last year was shipped to other stores, so the best selection are Blus from 2009 and 2010 (stuff like 2012, G.I. Joe, TF2, Sex and the City 2.) It's pretty slim pickings for great older movies (though they at one point had 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.)

As for DVDs, at $3.99 you can get just about any major release up to summer of last year.

EDIT: Prices down to $2.99 with two weeks to go. Tons of DVDs left, most of the Blu-Rays picked over, though they did have four copies of Pirates 4 in 3D Bluray which is a steal if you have a 3D TV and a player or PS3.

Last edited by sydonesia; 03-06-12 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-14-12, 12:33 AM

$1.99 Blus in Sandusky and Avon Lake, OH
Old 03-14-12, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1.99 Blus Tampa Linebaugh (9 Days Left) and Palm Harbor I think only a couple of days left. No much at either one.
Old 03-14-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$1.99 Blus in Plano, TX at Parker and the Tollway. Also a few new blus at 70% off. Picked up a new HOLLOW MAN blu for $3.00.
Old 03-14-12, 08:06 PM

$1.99 in San Antonio, TX @ Blanco & West
Old 03-16-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Checked out my BB today and, except DVDs in paper sleeves and some new non-rental discs, all BDs and DVDs are now $6.99... down a dollar from last week. Got a number of titles I'll pick up when (if?) they get to $2.99 (or less), but nothing that's worth $6.99.

I also noticed that they have a bit more BDs and DVDs than they had last week.
Old 03-16-12, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by keyed
$1.99 in San Antonio, TX @ Blanco & West
Thanks for the info, I was only stopping by every other Monday as it seemed thats when they were dropping prices. Hopefully theres some stuff I want left.
Old 03-17-12, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by pepsiguy
Thanks for the info, I was only stopping by every other Monday as it seemed thats when they were dropping prices. Hopefully theres some stuff I want left.
So far I've only heard they drop their prices each Monday (I don't know about every other Monday). There are only 2 closing stores in my area (driving 15-20 miles for this type of thing is my limit) and I went to 1 of them when they were @ $2.99 and there were no BDs worth making the drive again even when they hit 99c each. The other one I call every Monday waiting for $4.99. Last I called they were still at $7.99, but they've got another month to go.
Old 03-18-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was visiting family in VA and stopped at the Dale City location which is moving. Everything was $2, blu-ray and DVD in cases and the ones in the sleeves. Pretty picked over but I got about 28 blu-rays and a Mythbusters collection DVD. I also lucked out and showed up right after they put new stuff out and got 50 blu-ray cases for $10, which was great because even the cheap empty cases are still pretty expensive online.
Old 03-21-12, 02:12 AM

The Blockbuster in Costa Mesa/17th and Irvine is finally closing; I believe the guy said last day would be April 15. Almost all pre-viewed dvd's in a case were $1.99, including the blurays. I picked up a few titles at that price: Day Breakers, Transporter 3, Drag Me to Hell, The Final Destination, CopOut as well as a regular copy of The Social Network. They actually still have a decent selection, including pre-viewed TV series (saw True Blood S2 for $7.99). As far as new blurays are concerned, they only had a few scattered titles.

Oddly, the dvd's that weren't in cases were $2.99 each...not sure I understood the logic there, but they did have multiples of a lot of titles (non bluray).
Old 03-21-12, 09:13 PM

Elk Grove, CA, BB has $4.99 tv shows and $1.99 dvds and blus (all inventory)...last day is tomorrow. Picked up used blus (Brothers, Eat Pray Love, Buried, The American, Amelia, Precious, Day the Earth Stood Still [latest], Splice), used dvds (Never Let Me Go, The Fighter, Freaky Friday [original], Return From Witch Mountain) and a new Wolf (Nicholson) for $25. Folsom, CA, BB had all dvds and blus for $5. I like the bargains but I am sad to see these stores closing.
Old 03-25-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today was the final day for my local Blockbuster in town. Everything was 99 cents, so I made myself a "SAW" 7-pack with a mix of no cover BDs and DVDs. Everything else was pretty much picked over. The funniest display was 100s of no cover copies of "The Blind Side" on DVD. They took up 2 whole racks and there were signs at the top of each column saying things like "You know you want one..." "Take 10 or 20, they make great Christmas Gifts" "Get one before they're gone..." "Create Conversational Coffee Coasters" "OMG...how many copies of this movie do we have?"

I stepped outside with a feeling of sadness though. This was the last remaining indoor rental place in town. I remember going to the grand opening of the first one in our city 30 years ago. An end of an era for sure. Standing outside at a Redbox just isn't the same.
Old 03-25-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Roybq
Today was the final day for my local Blockbuster in town. Everything was 99 cents, so I made myself a "SAW" 7-pack with a mix of no cover BDs and DVDs. Everything else was pretty much picked over. The funniest display was 100s of no cover copies of "The Blind Side" on DVD. They took up 2 whole racks and there were signs at the top of each column saying things like "You know you want one..." "Take 10 or 20, they make great Christmas Gifts" "Get one before they're gone..." "Create Conversational Coffee Coasters" "OMG...how many copies of this movie do we have?"

I stepped outside with a feeling of sadness though. This was the last remaining indoor rental place in town. I remember going to the grand opening of the first one in our city 30 years ago. An end of an era for sure. Standing outside at a Redbox just isn't the same.
4 stores here closed today. San Marcos, Vista, La Mesa, and El Cajon. I made the rounds yesterday and picked up about 30 blu and 40 dvds at $.99.

I was also happy to find the special features disc for Harry Potter DH p2. Since I got the disc only edition last year it was nice finding a deal on the special disc only.

That is pretty funny trying to sell copies of the Blind Side dvd. There seemed to be 1 title each store had far too many of. I can't say any of my stores tried anything special to try to move those massive overstocks.

I have also found it kind of sad watching them all close here as well. After April, there will be about 10 left in san diego county. At the start of the year, there was 24 (not sure how many there were last year). I will admit I have never rented from blockbuster but have been buying movies from them since VHS days.
Old 03-27-12, 09:19 AM

As I told myself I'd do, yesterday the used BDs hit $4.99 at my only closing store, so I drove out to there last night after work (almost an 18 mile round trip... the horror). I was pretty disappointed again. They had more BDs than the other store (one whole wall of the store from front to back), but that wall was 99% the buy 5 for $20 BDs from last year. Fortunately they had another rack with some better things. I picked up 5 BDs which is very few for me, but $4.99 for a BD seems steep, and about 5 that I wanted were the dreaded "Rental" titles which I put back.

These are the BDs I've never seen before and passed on: Animal Kingdom, Barney's Version, Centiurion, Killer Elite (RENTAL), Skyline, Sleep Dealer, Step Up 3, Ticking Clock, Horrible Blosses, The Warrior's Way, 13, The Beaver, Bunraku, The Duchess, The Dilemma, My Name Is Bruce, Night of the Demons, Monster's Ball, Sideways, Suck, The Roommate, Stomp the Yard, Scorpion King 3, The Warlords, Survival of the Dead. I would've gotten Killer Elite except for the RENTAL warning label (The BD General has determined that RENTAL BDs may be hazardous to your health if you're an OCD completist who cares about extras or if you ever plan to trade in your BD to a store like FYE). I almost bought Survival of the Dead until a vague memory came to me of some George Romero movie shot in documentary handheld style... I remember scenes in some dark hospital and then at the end some mansion with a safe room and pretty much everyone acting stupid and begging to get killed. Since I wasn't sure if what I was remember was Survival of the Dead, I put it back.

I will go back again (probably next Monday), so if anyone cares to tell me I'm a fool for passing on certain titles, feel free. I don't have time to read all the reviews between now and then with taxes and work on my back, but I could read a few if certain titles are mentioned.

I passed on a bunch of other movies I had seen because $4.99 is still too expensive for a DVD to BD upgrade (i.e. Flight of the Phoenix, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Warriors). If they're still around at $1.99 or $2.99 maybe.

What did I get @ $4.99 each? Harry Potter and the DH part 2, Santa Buddies, the first Alvin, The Ward (just because it's John Carpenter even though I've read bad reviews), and Saw 3 (first time I'd seen it at a Blockbuster). Am I correct that the Harry Potter BD is the same as the single disc release I would've found at Walmart? I guess to get a proper cover I'll have to download and print something from those covers sites.

I'm beginning to think that most people snag the good (newer release) BDs at much higher prices, so I doubt I'm going to make any major scores at closing BB scores, especially as none in my area have sleeve BDs. Like duganrm there were tons of sleeve DVDs such as The Blind Side. Remembering what he said about Harry Potter DH 2 bonus DVD being in the sleeve DVDs, I flipped through them in vain. There were too many to look at each, so I treated them like flipping through a deck of cards. Someday I'll buy the Harry Potter ultimate set, but I picked up the DH 1 and 2 BDs for $5 each, have the rest on DVD, and can wait. Always the most amazing thing is watching people buy stacks of used DVDs for $4.99 when the BDs are the same price.

EDIT: I just remembered this. What would be long Manzana story be without it being even longer? While at this store they were offering a 3 month free trial of Blockbuster online 2-out rentals. I haven't rented any movies (except a few Amazon VODs) for years, so I thought that was too good to pass up even though I don't have time to watch much. So I kept trying to sign up with their secret code in store and it would tell me that I was already a member or the code had been used. I tried different email addresses I know had never been used and none worked, so I concluded the previous owner of my house had been a Blockbuster subscriber and it was one offer per address ever, so I said oh well and left. When I got home I had an email waiting from the first attempt saying "welcome...", so I guess I did get it in spite of their wacky web page saying no.

Has Blockbuster been offering 3 months free to everyone lately in closing stores? I wasn't sure if I should wait for a future better deal. The employee claimed canceling is very easyand can be done online. I hope so as I doubt I'll keep a $14.99 2-out subscription. I might as well go with Netflix and stream. As far as I could tell, streaming and BDs are not included in the Blockbuster $14.99 plan/free trial?

Last edited by Manzana; 03-27-12 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

BDs are included in any Blockbuster plan, but not streaming. I think their only 'streaming' option right now is some on demand stuff through Dish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.