DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DVD Polizei
Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 07-02-13, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Blu Soul
Anyone having trouble at their store when price matching. Everything at my store needs a managers approval now (DVDs / Blu-Rays never needed approval before). When before the cashier could do it with no issues. Pain in the ass now. New policy?
They needed a manager's approval the last 2 times I price matched in store and one of those times was last year, but they were good about it and it probably took less than a minute once they got the manager over to the checkout.
Old 07-02-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Anyone having trouble at their store when price matching. Everything at my store needs a managers approval now (DVDs / Blu-Rays never needed approval before). When before the cashier could do it with no issues. Pain in the ass now. New policy?
I don't think so. As far as I can remember, price matching has always required a manager's approval.
Old 07-02-13, 11:51 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I go to customer service and the last person didn't appear to be a manager and they did it. Maybe at customer service it isn't required.
Old 07-03-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by g
I go to customer service and the last person didn't appear to be a manager and they did it. Maybe at customer service it isn't required.
That is probably true, since any after-sale price matches I've done at Customer Service have never required a manager's approval. So they can probably do time-of-sale price matching without a manager too.
Old 07-06-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Appears to be a new policy. I did two price matches this week (one to Amazon and one to the label on the bluray) at two different stores and both required manager approval. Before this week, I had done at least a dozen price matches and only needed manger approval once.

It's annoying because you have to wait for a manger to be called and come over but not a huge deal. I guess they want two sets of eyes to review these now.
Old 07-06-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I thought, when this happened to me yesterday on a couple Portable Hard Drives, it was to do with what I was buying, not every Price Match... I will be more alert to how it works with media next time..
Old 07-07-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
Appears to be a new policy. I did two price matches this week (one to Amazon and one to the label on the bluray) at two different stores and both required manager approval. Before this week, I had done at least a dozen price matches and only needed manger approval once.

It's annoying because you have to wait for a manger to be called and come over but not a huge deal. I guess they want two sets of eyes to review these now.
Wonderful. Another change for the worse in the PM policy because requiring supervisor/manager approval means waiting around for someone to arrive and it's the managers/supervisors at my nearest store who don't like me and look for any excuse to deny. The normal rank and file employees typically won't deny a PM once they've verified the price and it's in stock (which is another step that takes a while). It just means PM'ing became more difficult and time consuming, though there are less and less opportunities to PM as BB carries fewer and fewer movies. I rarely PM at Fry's because they are so slow to do it it's usually not worth it.

Target's the last bastion of relatively easy PMs and coupon acceptance with PMs or sale prices. Usually whoever is at CS pulls out the Ipad, looks it up, and does the PM. On rare occasion they call over a supervisor. If only Target had a decent movie inventory I'd never set foot in a BB, Walmart or Fry's looking for movies, but sadly they don't. Someday I fear Target may go the route of BB by requiring items to be in stock for PMs and also requiring manager's approval, denying coupons if you also PM or the item is on sale, and eventually requiring a driver's license to return anything (even if you pay cash) and threatening to ban you if you return "too much" (no employee at BB is capable of defining how much is "too much"... meaning too much is whenever their computer feels like saying so). I have never been banned at BB for returns, but the threat makes me go to Target whenever I can. Once Target goes they way of BB, my B&M movie shopping days will be mostly over.

Back to your regularly schedule BB BD bargains thread... (too bad there aren't any now).
Old 07-07-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

My Best Buy has never allowed cashiers to do price matching. Always had to go to customer service. If you tried the cashier they would always say you can purchase here but to price match you need to go to customer service. Never made sense to go to cashier first as you would have to wait on a second slower line at CS.
Old 07-08-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Wonderful. Another change for the worse in the PM policy because requiring supervisor/manager approval means waiting around for someone to arrive and it's the managers/supervisors at my nearest store who don't like me and look for any excuse to deny. The normal rank and file employees typically won't deny a PM once they've verified the price and it's in stock (which is another step that takes a while). It just means PM'ing became more difficult and time consuming, though there are less and less opportunities to PM as BB carries fewer and fewer movies. I rarely PM at Fry's because they are so slow to do it it's usually not worth it.

Target's the last bastion of relatively easy PMs and coupon acceptance with PMs or sale prices. Usually whoever is at CS pulls out the Ipad, looks it up, and does the PM. On rare occasion they call over a supervisor. If only Target had a decent movie inventory I'd never set foot in a BB, Walmart or Fry's looking for movies, but sadly they don't. Someday I fear Target may go the route of BB by requiring items to be in stock for PMs and also requiring manager's approval, denying coupons if you also PM or the item is on sale, and eventually requiring a driver's license to return anything (even if you pay cash) and threatening to ban you if you return "too much" (no employee at BB is capable of defining how much is "too much"... meaning too much is whenever their computer feels like saying so). I have never been banned at BB for returns, but the threat makes me go to Target whenever I can. Once Target goes they way of BB, my B&M movie shopping days will be mostly over.

Back to your regularly schedule BB BD bargains thread... (too bad there aren't any now).
You must have the worst BB in the country.

They are running a buy 2 specified video games and get a $50 gift card. Includes Far Cry 3 priced at 59.99. Went in yesterday and grabbed two copies of Far Cry 3 for PS3 and went to regular CSR checkout. Told them I wanted to pricematch to amazon for 19.99. Manager came over and punched in his code for the pm of each game. At the end computer prompted CSR to add a GC for 39.98 (assume the GC cannot be MORE than the purchase price).

Ended up with two copies of the game and a gift card for 39.98 for the cost of 39.98 + tax
Old 07-08-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
You must have the worst BB in the country.

They are running a buy 2 specified video games and get a $50 gift card. Includes Far Cry 3 priced at 59.99. Went in yesterday and grabbed two copies of Far Cry 3 for PS3 and went to regular CSR checkout. Told them I wanted to pricematch to amazon for 19.99. Manager came over and punched in his code for the pm of each game. At the end computer prompted CSR to add a GC for 39.98 (assume the GC cannot be MORE than the purchase price).

Ended up with two copies of the game and a gift card for 39.98 for the cost of 39.98 + tax
Nice deal. FC3 is $39.99 now at Amazon.
Old 07-14-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

there a list somewhere of the titles with the Wolverine movie cash? my store didnt have a display that i could find.
Old 07-14-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
there a list somewhere of the titles with the Wolverine movie cash? my store didnt have a display that i could find.
I saw a display at Target and they had all the X-Men Movies (original 3 + First Class & Wolverine Origins) and the 2 Fantastic Four Movies.
Old 07-19-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Got my All Superheroes Must Die ($3.99 shipped) in the mail today. Thanks for the tip, too bad about the movie though.
Old 07-22-13, 06:59 PM

Shout-out to whoever mentioned The Office (BBC) DVD for $4.99. I think it may have been in another thread. Nonetheless, great deal! I picked it up in-store today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Office%3...ice&lp=14&cp=1
Old 07-22-13, 10:46 PM
Banned

saw yeldarb's post, said holy shit, and made sure to grab a copy of BBC Office (DVD). the STICKER is 4.99, so this is a permanent price!

saw a whole display of multifeatures, mixed dvd and blu. the real winner of a deal is the 5 film comic pack from Lionsgate that has KickAss, Spirit, Conan, Punisher, and Crow, 14.99, down to 9.99 with upgrade and save.
Old 07-22-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
Shout-out to whoever mentioned The Office (BBC) DVD for $4.99. I think it may have been in another thread. Nonetheless, great deal! I picked it up in-store today.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Office%3...ice&lp=14&cp=1
I mentioned it in the U&S Haul thread, but I figured it was very much YMMV and one of those random finds you sometimes stumble upon. Glad others are finding it as well.
Old 07-22-13, 11:02 PM

^ Hell yeah man. I almost bought all three in stock just on principle. Give 'em out as gifts or something.

Edit: Hey, Cardsfan! You were the one! I'm glad you actually received the anonymous shout-out I gave you in here.
Old 07-22-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
^ Hell yeah man. I almost bought all three in stock just on principle. Give 'em out as gifts or something.

Edit: Hey, Cardsfan! You were the one! I'm glad you actually received the anonymous shout-out I gave you in here.
No problem...wasn't sure if it was my post you saw or not.

Since it doesn't seem to be a YMMV situation at all, I may post about this in the DVD Bargains section. Perhaps there are others who would jump on this.
Old 07-23-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) $32.99 with free shipping if you have any RZ coupons expiring soon and need something to use them on.
Old 07-23-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Lecithin
Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) $32.99 with free shipping if you have any RZ coupons expiring soon and need something to use them on.
This would be a great deal too seeing as the Upgrade & Save is still going on.
Old 07-23-13, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Boss
the STICKER is 4.99, so this is a permanent price!
Don't know if this is company-wide or regional (I'm in NYC), but Best Buy actually changes sticker prices on a regular basis. They hire an outside company to come in and check sticker prices and re-sticker them as necessary. I met one of these contractors once while I was browsing the movie section and saw a guy systematically re-stickering everything. He said he comes in once a week to check inventory and matches sticker prices against a database.
Old 07-23-13, 06:37 PM

THE HOST is $14.99 or ($9.99 - $5 coupon.) There is no tag in the stores with the $14.99 price.
Old 07-23-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
This would be a great deal too seeing as the Upgrade & Save is still going on.
Just a heads up. Indiana Jones rings up for $54.99 in store. I was able to price match the website but they wouldn't let me upgrade and save after.

Has anyone tested to see if Dredd rings up at $12.99 in store?
Old 07-24-13, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by illennium
Don't know if this is company-wide or regional (I'm in NYC), but Best Buy actually changes sticker prices on a regular basis. They hire an outside company to come in and check sticker prices and re-sticker them as necessary. I met one of these contractors once while I was browsing the movie section and saw a guy systematically re-stickering everything. He said he comes in once a week to check inventory and matches sticker prices against a database.
It's regional... New York has weird laws about price stickers on items. In fact, New York has many weird laws that apply to retail establishments. Also, New York actually leaves many laws and taxes up to individual counties, so it could actually be even more specific than I know.

Best Buy will occasionally (more in the past than now) re sticker permanent price drops on media, but what you are seeing is definitely a local law compliance issue.
Old 07-24-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzznic
Just a heads up. Indiana Jones rings up for $54.99 in store. I was able to price match the website but they wouldn't let me upgrade and save after.

Has anyone tested to see if Dredd rings up at $12.99 in store?

I got Dredd on Monday and it did ring up for $12.99($7.99 AC).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.