Source?
Based on your name, I thought you'd know:
Apple Source
Old 03-14-13, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
I'm not going to go into great detail about "random" here, but I will defend myself. While we can't predict it, Best Buy does know when they're going to have their sales. The idea that the sales are random is different. Your definition of random is not accurate. It'd be akin to Best Buy putting dates in a hat and picking one. Few things in this world are truly random, and the word is misused today almost as much as "literally" is.
We were talking about Amazon, not Best Buy, and about their Disney coupon dates not their sales. And yes, it appears they "literally" put dates in a hat and pick them at random, when it comes to the dates their Disney coupons are available. There is no rhyme or reason, no pattern. It is just random dates that cannot be predicted.
And I have to disagree with you about your statement. There are random events in the world every day. A perfect (but terrible) example are the various shooting crazes around the country, where people are killed at random. Traffic accidents are also random. You usually don't plan who you are going to hit. It is just some random person who you don't know.
Oh, and just yesterday, when the Pope was picked with a random name drawn out of a hat!
OK, I may be kidding about the last one... Perhaps you believe that everything is fate or destiny. But there are a LOT of random events in this world, every moment of every day...
I'm sure you'll disagree. I guess we're each entitled to our own opinions. But my definition of random was quite accurate. Here is the first definition from dictionary.com, which perfectly applies to my statements (and I wrote everything well before I looked this up):
ran·dom [ran-duhm] adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 03-14-13 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-14-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
We were talking about Amazon, not Best Buy, and about their Disney coupon dates not their sales. And yes, it appears they "literally" put dates in a hat and pick them at random, when it comes to the dates their Disney coupons are available. There is no rhyme or reason, no pattern. It is just random dates that cannot be predicted.
And I have to disagree with you about your statement. There are random events in the world every day. A perfect (but terrible) example are the various shooting crazes around the country, where people are killed at random. Traffic accidents are also random. You usually don't plan who you are going to hit. It is just some random person who you don't know.
Oh, and just yesterday, when the Pope was picked with a random name drawn out of a hat!
OK, I may be kidding about the last one... Perhaps you believe that everything is fate or destiny. But there are a LOT of random events in this world, every moment of every day...
I'm sure you'll disagree. I guess we're each entitled to our own opinions. But my definition of random was quite accurate. Here is the first definition from dictionary.com, which perfectly applies to my statements (and I wrote everything well before I looked this up):
ran·dom [ran-duhm] adjective
1. proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers.
I'm going to give up after this, to keep the thread on track. But just so you know, "section of numbers" is all about how it's done. There are many ways to do it incorrectly (not have it be random) and few ways to do it correctly (achieve randomness). I teach statistics, so I will hold strong on my opinion, as you say. Best Buy's sales may not start on every 90th day or so, but they happen every 3 or 4 months, and they are in no way randomly chosen.
Old 03-14-13, 08:32 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Todd B.
If they continue following the pattern that they've been following for the past year and half or so, the next U&S period will be in April, less than a month away.
Thanks, was just afraid their decision to reduce inventory would affect that program. OTOH, you'd think that would be a good way to move said inventory.
Old 03-14-13, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ka11ima
Does anyone know if Best buy will bring back their "trade up and save" bluray program? I still have 20+ DVD's I bought at a BB store closing for 1/each. Wouldn't mind trading those in for the 5 savings.
Aside from whotony's joke, it is supposed to be back in April, but you can never be sure of anything with BB. They cancel things and change their minds quite frequently. I hope we get at least 1 more U&S before they trim BD inventory more severely as I have a larger than usual stack of Dollar Tree $1 DVDs to trade in and I'd rather not be stuck with them.
Old 03-14-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy's sales may not start on every 90th day or so, but they happen every 3 or 4 months, and they are in no way randomly chosen.
I won't further debate the topic of what RANDOM means, but I am utterly confused why you keep giving examples of BEST BUY sales, when your initial quote about RANDOM, and my comments, were about AMAZON's Disney coupons, whose valid dates are quite random.
Old 03-14-13, 10:56 AM
Cool New Member

I feel you Manzana, I highly doubt I will EVER watch Experiments in Torture again, lol. I have a ton of crap horror I picked up specifically for this program.
Old 03-15-13, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I won't further debate the topic of what RANDOM means, but I am utterly confused why you keep giving examples of BEST BUY sales, when your initial quote about RANDOM, and my comments, were about AMAZON's Disney coupons, whose valid dates are quite random.
Sorry, I see what you mean about my talking about the BB example while you were talking about the Amazon one.

However, it's the same either way - both examples involve store employees deciding upon sales/promotions, and thus neither are random. Amazon coupons are for releases that have known dates - not random ones. Someone at Amazon decides when to put up the coupon. They do not pick a date out of a hat, so to speak.

Your examples of randomness are not really perfect. Even if a person shoots someone he doesn't know or didn't plan on shooting, it wouldn't be "random" unless he let some random force decide whom to shoot (like randomly drawing numbers, numbering each person, and shooting the one whose number he drew).

I think I've beaten this thing to death. I hope you see my point. If not, it's not a big deal. We can agree to disagree. We'll always have our movies.
Old 03-15-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New $9.99 SaveStation (I bet these will be part of the BOGO starting Sunday):

30 Days of Night
30 Minutes or Less
A Few Good Men
A Knight’s Tale
A Woman, A Gun, and A Noodle Shop
Attack the Block
Bad Teacher
Battle Los Angeles
Beneath the Darkness
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Colombiana
Courageous
Detention
Exporting Raymond
Faster
Fireproof
Gandhi
In the Line of Fire
Inside Job
Insidious
Jumping the Broom
Lawrence of Arabia
Of God and Men
Other Guys
Priest
Soul Surfer
Stand By Me : 25th Anniversary Edition
Starship Troopers Invasion
Straw Dogs (remake)
Stripes
The Pirates: Band of Misfits
The Raid
The Rum Diaries
The Tourist
The Vow
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Zookeeper
Old 03-15-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

damn, if these are the BOGO's, will be spending some serious greens on blus
Old 03-16-13, 02:16 PM

I'm not going to go into great detail about "random" here, but I will defend myself. While we can't predict it, Best Buy does know when they're going to have their sales. The idea that the sales are random is different. Your definition of random is not accurate. It'd be akin to Best Buy putting dates in a hat and picking one. Few things in this world are truly random, and the word is misused today almost as much as "literally" is.
I think the problem is everybody UNDERSTOOD what kenbenobi was talking about. You began to dissect his statements to prove that your command of the English language was the correct one. That is something I hope you can learn to enjoy in the privacy of your own home and intellect and not bother those in the deal forum who are trying to share their experience with and insight into the best deals. Perhaps a philosophy forum or Mensa forum (if you qualify) would better suit your "insights"
Old 03-16-13, 02:26 PM
Cool New Member

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
New $9.99 SaveStation (I bet these will be part of the BOGO starting Sunday):

30 Days of Night
30 Minutes or Less
A Few Good Men
A Knight’s Tale
A Woman, A Gun, and A Noodle Shop
Attack the Block
Bad Teacher
Battle Los Angeles
Beneath the Darkness
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Colombiana
Courageous
Detention
Exporting Raymond
Faster
Fireproof
Gandhi
In the Line of Fire
Inside Job
Insidious
Jumping the Broom
Lawrence of Arabia
Of God and Men
Other Guys
Priest
Soul Surfer
Stand By Me : 25th Anniversary Edition
Starship Troopers Invasion
Straw Dogs (remake)
Stripes
The Pirates: Band of Misfits
The Raid
The Rum Diaries
The Tourist
The Vow
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Zookeeper

Oh wow, will definitely be picking up several of those titles. What a fantastic deal hope they are included in the BOGO! Sad that Pirates! Band of Misfits is already on there, I actually enjoyed that movie, not that I'm complaining mind you, I just wouldn't buy it for over 10.00!
Old 03-16-13, 03:01 PM

Damn, I'm going to be spending lots of money this weekend at Best Buy.... lol
Old 03-16-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that list turns out to be right, I'll grab the blood simple remake and attack the block for $5 each (blind buys).
Old 03-17-13, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
If that list turns out to be right, I'll grab the blood simple remake and attack the block for $5 each (blind buys).
I don't see Blood Simple on the list. Maybe you were thinking of a different movie?

BOGO on $9.99 titles

I highly recommend Inside Job. It is one of the few great movies that left me angry, depressed, and frustrated thanks to the source material.
Old 03-17-13, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see Blood Simple on the list. Maybe you were thinking of a different movie?
A Woman, A Gun And A Noodle Shop = Blood Simple remake
Old 03-17-13, 07:34 AM

In for Lawrence Of Arabia & Close Encounters for store pick-up.

Stand By Me & A Few Good Men shipped.

Glad I held off on all of these for once!
Old 03-17-13, 07:55 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Lawrence Of Arabia only available for in store pick up. I would guess this will sell out today at most places. I ordered it for in store pick up with Gandhi. Also they sent me a bonus $5 reward certificate this week that expires on the 19th.
So $5 for both for me. Already have Lawrence but will make a nice gift or an extra copy in case I damage one copy at some point.
Old 03-17-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At the last sale my BB was so low on Blu's there was more open space on the shelves and full. They now have every BR facing out and the shelves are still bare. Even if they have another sale, my problem is not finding fodder for trade. My problem is finding something worth $5. When you have to buy duplicates just to use the U&S coupon the know the inventory sucks
Old 03-17-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BOGO on $9.99 titles

I highly recommend Inside Job. It is one of the few great movies that left me angry, depressed, and frustrated thanks to the source material.
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
A Woman, A Gun And A Noodle Shop = Blood Simple remake
That and I picked up both, but they're backordered. I'm not in a rush to get them at least...have enough to watch while I wait.

Both are blind buys, so I'm pretty excited to check them out.
Old 03-17-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Bunch of $7.99 titles
Old 03-17-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

They removed Attack The Block from the BOGO. Nice.
Old 03-17-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
That was quick....glad I got in early.
Old 03-17-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
They didn't remove it, it just sold out. You can still get it as part of the B1G1, if you can find a copy in-store.
Old 03-17-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
In for Lawrence Of Arabia & Close Encounters
Exactly the two I bought in store.

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Lawrence Of Arabia only available for in store pick up. I would guess this will sell out today at most places.
Seven minutes after opening, I got my store's last one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.