Last edit by: DVD Polizei
Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

So they plan to keep having exclusives, but likely won't have them in stock?
Old 10-18-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So they plan to keep having exclusives, but likely won't have them in stock?
Otherwise known as the Circuit City Model or Target Model.
Old 10-18-13, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vgc
I think the end is near, which means I won't be going in Best Buy hardly at all if they don't have blu rays. I hope Best Buy has one more good Black Friday in them before they pull all the stock.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Otherwise known as the Circuit City Model or Target Model.
Certainly is going the way of the Target model; new releases and TV on DVD centric with a "selection" of popular titles. Certainly not the inventory we like to browse.

I remember just a few years ago Bill Hunt's complaints about the HD BR war was the space they would allot to media. Whoda thunk less than a decade later and we can't even get floor space for BR anymore.
Old 10-18-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flix1
Which version is the BB exclusive version of Gangster Squad? I saw both the BD/DVD/UV w/ slipcover and the BD only versions, but they were in the same slot, tagged @ $29.99 each AND with a "sale" shelf tag listing $29.99.

I didn't have time to have them checked at the register.
The one that looks like this

Old 10-18-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Those guys look mean n tough!
Old 10-18-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Those guys look mean n tough!
They're gangsters... duh.
Old 10-18-13, 05:31 PM
vgc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if Jack Reacher is still $7.99? I found a BD/DVD copy and it rang at $14.99. If it is on sale, which version is it? Is there a Blu ray only copy?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-18-13, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by vgc
Does anyone know if Jack Reacher is still $7.99? I found a BD/DVD copy and it rang at $14.99. If it is on sale, which version is it? Is there a Blu ray only copy?
Thanks in advance!!
It has to have a Best Buy exclusive sticker on the slipcase or a different UPC sticker over the original UPC on the back.
Old 10-18-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I confirmed Gangster Squad exclusive is still 7.99, but my stores have none left. It showed 7.99 on their computer when they looked it up for me...
Old 10-19-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The one that looks like this

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I confirmed Gangster Squad exclusive is still 7.99, but my stores have none left. It showed 7.99 on their computer when they looked it up for me...
Found one copy of the exclusive Gangster Squad. It is just as pictured here.

One note ... it was STICKERED @ $7.99, so I think this is now the regular price for it, until they are gone.
Old 10-20-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was in BB yesterday, they haven't really shrunk down my stores' media section outside of keeping blus & dvd's together but that's been like that for the past year.
Old 10-20-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did a huge return/rebuy of clearance items. Saved about $40 (plus I used a bunch of RZ coupons, so OOP on the new purchases was about 11 bucks.
Supernatural S4 BD Lent. - 14.99 -- 7.99
A Christmas Story BD tin -- 9.99 - 7.99
TKDR Steelbook -- 9.99 - 7.99
Sherlock Holmes GOS Steelbook -- 9.99 - 7.99
Astroy Boy V1 - 9.99 - 4.99
Primeval V2 Steelbook 9.99 - 4.99
Watchmen Rorschach mask -- 9.99 - 4.99
Sarah Connor Chronicles s2 DVD in steelcase 12.99 - 4.99 (I probably would not have kept this if the price didn't drop so much)

The Hubble IMAX BBY exclusive actually went up from 4.99 to 7.99
Old 10-20-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you know all those prices dropped further? Do they show on the kiosk?
My stores would never allow a return/rebuy at the service counter. Unless you meant you returned them, then grabbed new ones off the shelf to re-buy.
Old 10-21-13, 02:18 PM

How did you know all those prices dropped further? Do they show on the kiosk?
My stores would never allow a return/rebuy at the service counter. Unless you meant you returned them, then grabbed new ones off the shelf to re-buy.
I just guessed since Wrath of the Titans and TDKR steelbook had gone down to 7.99. I took them in and had them check the price before I did the return/rebuy. You must've done something similar to get your 2 bucks back.

I thought you could PM until your return window ended. I know the new rules say 15 days but isn't that because that is the new return policy window for non-silver (elite) members. The CSRs know me pretty well. There is one manager there that would have probably shut me down had they asked her. The other managers would have been iffy.

Also, I have a question that I've seen alluded to, but never really stated as fact: Concerning these BBY promos where you spend $100 and get a $25 RZ -- Is the offer void if any of the items is price-matched. When I got the Walking Dead Aquarium I PM'd Gohastings for 74.99 and then added a few sets to get to 104.xx, but I never got the RZ. I emailed CS and they gave me one, but I don't know if I should've got it.

The other concern is I had initially bought the Aquarium at full price and then added a TV set to get it over $100. Everyone was PMing Hastings so I did another return/rebuy to get the certificate. It was supposed to be 1/account so I don't know if that's why the RZ points did not show up.
Old 10-21-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I just guessed since Wrath of the Titans and TDKR steelbook had gone down to 7.99. I took them in and had them check the price before I did the return/rebuy. You must've done something similar to get your 2 bucks back.

I thought you could PM until your return window ended. I know the new rules say 15 days but isn't that because that is the new return policy window for non-silver (elite) members. The CSRs know me pretty well. There is one manager there that would have probably shut me down had they asked her. The other managers would have been iffy.

Also, I have a question that I've seen alluded to, but never really stated as fact: Concerning these BBY promos where you spend $100 and get a $25 RZ -- Is the offer void if any of the items is price-matched. When I got the Walking Dead Aquarium I PM'd Gohastings for 74.99 and then added a few sets to get to 104.xx, but I never got the RZ. I emailed CS and they gave me one, but I don't know if I should've got it.

The other concern is I had initially bought the Aquarium at full price and then added a TV set to get it over $100. Everyone was PMing Hastings so I did another return/rebuy to get the certificate. It was supposed to be 1/account so I don't know if that's why the RZ points did not show up.
I did not get my 2 bucks back. My stores will not do return/rebuys, and there were none on the shelf for me to purchase.

As for the BBY promos, you are not supposed to get more than one discount. For the in-store GC promos, if you price-match, you will not get the GC unless you can get a manager to override the system. You did the RZ bonus points one, which is similar, yet different. But I'm sure that's why you didn't automatically get the RZ points.
Old 10-21-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Does Best Buy really sell that much of other crap to have to shrink their media section and throw dvds and blus together? This is why I have done very little shopping there for media in the past 6 months.
Old 10-21-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Does Best Buy really sell that much of other crap to have to shrink their media section and throw dvds and blus together? This is why I have done very little shopping there for media in the past 6 months.
I can't speak for how much other stuff they sell, but much of the media that they do sell (especially to people like us) is sold at a loss, to drive foot traffic. That strategy isn't working anymore, as more and more people aren't buying media, and those of us that are usually walk in, get our $5 blu's, and walk out. That doesn't help the bottom line.
Old 10-21-13, 04:42 PM

So now they're just going to have less foot traffic, period.
Old 10-21-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So now they're just going to have less foot traffic, period.
Possibly. It seems that the I see fewer and fewer people in Best Buy these days. Every time I'm in there, I see maybe five other people milling around. There is seldom any kind of line at the check out; when I do buy something there I can always walk right up to an empty register and check out without waiting.

It's starting to look like Circuit City in its latter days.
Old 10-21-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I thought you could PM until your return window ended. I know the new rules say 15 days but isn't that because that is the new return policy window for non-silver (elite) members.
It's a standard 15 days across the board now for price matching for everyone, regardless of return period. Yes, that means that those with longer return periods could still do a return/rebuy, but apparently those are the hoops they want you to jump through now.
Old 10-21-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly. It seems that the I see fewer and fewer people in Best Buy these days. Every time I'm in there, I see maybe five other people milling around. There is seldom any kind of line at the check out; when I do buy something there I can always walk right up to an empty register and check out without waiting.

Same around here. One open register and never have to wait for more than one person in line
Old 10-21-13, 07:59 PM

I did not get my 2 bucks back. My stores will not do return/rebuys, and there were none on the shelf for me to purchase.

As for the BBY promos, you are not supposed to get more than one discount. For the in-store GC promos, if you price-match, you will not get the GC unless you can get a manager to override the system. You did the RZ bonus points one, which is similar, yet different. But I'm sure that's why you didn't automatically get the RZ points.
I know when Fry's 1st had the 3 Stooges set for 29.99, I PM'd 2 of them and got the $10 GC ... and it did not require an override for the GC (just the PM). It may very well be a change in the system since then, because I've seen allusions to it on blu-ray.com and the CSR who rang me up (and who really seems to know her stuff), said I wouldn't get the promo w/ the PM -- but I tried any way ...

EDIT: There is also verbage on the receipts (I'd have to dig one out) that indicates that if you return anything included in the promo, that everything reverts to original pricing. That would negate you returning one item in a GC promo and just getting the pro-rated amount of the GC deducted from your return. I'm not sure that really works. It may just be rules that their system doesn't really support.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 10-21-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 10:18 PM

I guess the real test will be seeing if they continue to have registers open at all, or just do everything at the service counter!
Old 10-21-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same here too. Sad.
Old 10-22-13, 12:37 AM

"To discover the real reasons behind the company’s decline, just take this simple test. Walk into one of the company’s retail locations or shop online. And try, really try, not to lose your temper."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.