Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by b2net
Thank you. Finally picked up Das Boot.
Old 02-05-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

If you can find it in the stores, Senseless for $5.99 looks very good as a Best Buy Exclusive. Full 1080p screenshots can be found at the link.

http://www.doblu.com/2013/02/05/sens...bluray-review/
Old 02-05-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
The Grifters and Fortress are both solid. Fortress never gets any respect.
I picked up Fortress, and it's actually excellent. These releases come in non-eco cases and the covers are not all gooped up with nasty logos or anything. I'm certainly thinking of picking up Grifters too.

Has anybody picked up Immortality? That's the only other one I was interested in.
Old 02-06-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Thank you. Finally picked up Das Boot.
I noticed that the 2-Disc is also included in the $5 GC promo and bought it. Of course, it is $22.99 vs $9.99, but I have been looking for a deal on the 2-Disc for over a year with no success.
Old 02-06-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I picked up Fortress, and it's actually excellent. These releases come in non-eco cases and the covers are not all gooped up with nasty logos or anything. I'm certainly thinking of picking up Grifters too.

Has anybody picked up Immortality? That's the only other one I was interested in.
Kind of "weird" movie, but not bad. It has some odd animation with live characters.
Old 02-06-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a pending review coming up. All I will say is that the transfer is likely from an upscaled DVD.
Old 02-07-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Best Buy didn't have any of these releases. In fact, only one store in all of Western PA has them.

Last edited by jdpatri; 02-07-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Grifters disc is reportedly awful. Dolby 2.0. Terrible scratching and jumpy frames on the transfer. None of the extras from the original DVD except for the commentary.
Old 02-07-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

3 people on blu-ray.com stated that it was at least better than the DVD

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Gr...7/#UserReviews
Old 02-07-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
The Grifters disc is reportedly awful. Dolby 2.0. Terrible scratching and jumpy frames on the transfer. None of the extras from the original DVD except for the commentary.
Glad I got the UK import then.
Old 02-08-13, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by flix1
I noticed that the 2-Disc is also included in the $5 GC promo and bought it. Of course, it is $22.99 vs $9.99, but I have been looking for a deal on the 2-Disc for over a year with no success.
Does anyone know if the $5 GC will still come up on Das Boot 2 disc BD if you PM it to Fry's ($14.99 there)? The nice guy at my store is working there tonight, so I know he'll PM it and the only question is whether the PM will stop the $5 GC from coming out... and of course whether or not they're OOS.
Old 02-08-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Didn't see Fortress, The Grifters or Teaching Mrs. Tingle there at all the other day. However, they did restock the Oscar section as I saw copies of Casablanca and North by Northwest there. Too bad U+S is over.
Old 02-09-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
Does anyone know if the $5 GC will still come up on Das Boot 2 disc BD if you PM it to Fry's ($14.99 there)? The nice guy at my store is working there tonight, so I know he'll PM it and the only question is whether the PM will stop the $5 GC from coming out... and of course whether or not they're OOS.
Did you find a 2-Disc in-store? I haven't seen one in a store in ages.
Old 02-09-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Shallow Hal is taking a really long time to ship. What the hek.
Old 02-09-13, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by flix1
Did you find a 2-Disc in-store? I haven't seen one in a store in ages.
Nope. The PM minus GC became a moot point because all stores in my area don't have Das Boot 2-disc BD. I can't justify $14.99 for it at Fry's, so I'll wait for
Old 02-11-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Shallow Hal is taking a really long time to ship. What the hek.
I amazingly found one in-store on Saturday. It was lying in the wrong spot (wrong category and in the D's instead of S's). I'm amazed this is still $3.99.
Old 03-10-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

for those subscribed to this thread that may not have seen the other thread.....

Who Framed Roger Rabbit $16.99

Link
Old 03-10-13, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by b2net
for those subscribed to this thread that may not have seen the other thread.....

Who Framed Roger Rabbit $16.99

Link
Already pre ordered ! Screw amazon
Old 03-10-13, 03:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Echo Bridge titles for $4.99:

Hoax
Bounty Hunters 2: Hardball
Full Frontal
Fresh
Committed
She’s So Lovely
Nameless
Hellraiser VII: Deader
The Grifters
Heaven
Dragon Lord
Jersey Girl
Teaching Mrs. Tingle
Mother’s Boys
Best of the Best: Without Warning
Fortress
Old 03-10-13, 05:14 PM
Banned

went for jersey girl and hoax, took about half an hour for an employee to even find jersey girl in back.

with all of the front facing movies on the shelves, they can't even be bothered to restock and add new stock to their terribly dwindling displays that TOTALLY encourage people to buy films (sarcasm). the Bakersfield store has an entire shelf dedicated to V for Vendetta, 2 for Chuck, 1 for Seinfeld, 1 for season 3 alone of Eastbound & Down, 2 for SMallville, and 2 for SKYFALL. it's getting really pathetic. the way they combined DVD with Blu on shelves is their way of hiding the fact they're not restocking a damn thing.

thank goodness the Wal-Mart next door did a media reset with the WWE display. some great priced Blu-rays in there!
Old 03-10-13, 10:55 PM

Mad Men S5: $22.99
Old 03-11-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by n8boss87
with all of the front facing movies on the shelves, they can't even be bothered to restock and add new stock to their terribly dwindling displays that TOTALLY encourage people to buy films (sarcasm). the Bakersfield store has an entire shelf dedicated to V for Vendetta, 2 for Chuck, 1 for Seinfeld, 1 for season 3 alone of Eastbound & Down, 2 for SMallville, and 2 for SKYFALL. it's getting really pathetic. the way they combined DVD with Blu on shelves is their way of hiding the fact they're not restocking a damn thing.
It's pretty apparent that Best Buy is quickly getting out of the media business. Their media section will be no bigger than Target's media section by the 4th quarter.
Old 03-11-13, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's pretty apparent that Best Buy is quickly getting out of the media business. Their media section will be no bigger than Target's media section by the 4th quarter.
Sad. That was one of the main reasons I went to Best Buy, actually probably the biggest reason. Now, I primarily order through their website. (ordered Jersey Girl & Mother's Boys last night for example) I would walk in there about a couple of times a month before, now I'm lucky if I go once every 2 months. Rather spend my time elsewhere (or online).
Old 03-11-13, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Is there an official announcement or insider news or is this just prediction? And is this just movies or games too (I guess both are considered media)?

Assuming for the moment it's true (solely because Walmart, Sam's Club, and Target all have small media selections so it seems to be a trend that stores don't like selling movies) and soon you won't be able to buy any BDs in B&M stores except for new releases, then I guess we'd better enjoy the next Upgrade & Save because if we (I) thought the selection of $9.99 BDs was small last time, future U&S inventories will be almost non-existent or everything we (I) get will have to be through Express Lane which is a bit slow and painful. Is this shrinking/trimming going to happen over time or are they going to start yanking stuff off the shelf and sending it back right away (like Walmart does rather than keep it until it sells)?

Well, it's no secret how much I like BB, but I still go occasionally for movie or game deals I can't get anywhere else. If they chop the media down to the point the B&M store is just for electronics, then we can rename the store "Best Browse" because I'd rarely buy anything there, and if I did it would only be when I had a RZ cert or credit to use and could PM some other store.

I'd better use my RZ certs while they still have movies to buy. I wonder how long until Fry's Electronics cuts their media selection down to almost nothing? "And soon there will be none" (referring to stores with media sections worth browsing).
Old 03-11-13, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana

I'd better use my RZ certs while they still have movies to buy. I wonder how long until Fry's Electronics cuts their media selection down to almost nothing?
If Fry's cuts down their media selection of any significance, they might as well go out of business. Seriously, if you go to any of their stores (or at least the ones near me), the media section is huge and the nice thing is you can find a lot of titles that you wouldn't find anywhere except online. I just don't see it happening, especially if BestBuy and everybody else is cutting down. It would be a huge advantage. Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of us physical media guys out there. Just apparently not enough to the Best Buy and Targets of the world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.