Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Off One Item excludes Criterions
Store Coupon P7F3D4C and Online Coupon LEAVES2017
Exp November 20, 2017 at 2:59am ET online , and at Barnes & Noble stores November 19, 2017 at close of business.

Some possible upcoming codes

DAYMAKER 20% off $50 or more
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 08-16-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
Ordered the Complete David Tennant Doctor Who (blind buy)
I think you're going to enjoy them quite a bit.
Old 08-26-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So it looks like Best Buy eliminated the Weekly Ads column on their website and anything that is a "Sale" item is under "Top Deals"
Old 08-27-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So it looks like Best Buy eliminated the Weekly Ads column on their website and anything that is a "Sale" item is under "Top Deals"
That's not surprising. They've not had a weekly paper ad in the local newspaper for over a year.
Old 08-27-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More disturbing is the news that Best Buy has likely eliminated "weekly" sales. They apparently plan to hold unannounced discounts that only run 3-4 days instead of an entire week. So you will have to keep an eye on their website over the course of the week.
Old 08-27-19, 04:30 PM

They'll generally have 2 sales per week instead of 1 and I strongly suspect the majority of items will overlap both sales with the normal M-Th items and then Weekend Specials added -- which they basically do anyway. It doesn't seem like it's going to affect the 3-6 week long sales

As long as they keep the 15-45 day price guarantee unlike the Bezos-sphere I doubt it will make much difference in the overall scheme and until/unless it shows otherwise I suspect it basically will end up pretty much
like Coke Zero vs Coke Zero Sugar.
Old 08-28-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only time I buy from these guys is if it's by accident or they have an exclusive I must have. Rarely happens in both cases.
Old 08-28-19, 03:29 PM

Interesting -- for domestics sales over the last 4-5 year I'd say roughly 20% of my buys come from BBY and 30% B&N. Deep Discount, Kino Direct, DMC, WBShop for 4/44, Criterion.com, a bit of Walmart and Target throw in.
AmazonUS is about 1% (even counting the 3rd Party sellers especially) -- 2009-2013 they were 40-50%, but no price protection, increasingly poor packaging, lack of any self- initiated sales, and increasingly grumpy CSR have run off all my buys from them

International purchase still lean toward AmazonUK esp though ArrowUk has become a bigger source in the last 24 months and Zavvi not too far behind.

Last edited by hariseldon; 08-28-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only reasons I buy are the steelbooks and because I still have GCU. Once GCU runs out there's almost no reason to check there anymore.
Old 08-28-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I rarely visit Best Buy these days simply because I can't afford $30 4K UHDs and they don't seem to have many good non-Holiday sales anymore. But, I still liked having the weekly ad column to see other things I need. Last time I bought something big was my current desktop computer back earlier this year.

Hopefully when the Black Friday ads are announced it was be clear and organized. Could be they decided to kill the weekly ads because from what I can tell, they've practically stopped putting them in Sunday papers since so many now don't subscribe to the paper anymore.
Old 08-28-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I rarely visit Best Buy these days simply because I can't afford $30 4K UHDs
I only buy Steelbooks and they’re $35.
Old 08-28-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I rarely visit Best Buy these days simply because I can't afford $30 4K UHDs and they don't seem to have many good non-Holiday sales anymore. But, I still liked having the weekly ad column to see other things I need. Last time I bought something big was my current desktop computer back earlier this year.

Hopefully when the Black Friday ads are announced it was be clear and organized. Could be they decided to kill the weekly ads because from what I can tell, they've practically stopped putting them in Sunday papers since so many now don't subscribe to the paper anymore.
They stopped the Sunday ads a while ago. In fact, I stopped getting the paper because the Sunday ads were so dismal.
Old 08-29-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The only reasons I buy are the steelbooks and because I still have GCU. Once GCU runs out there's almost no reason to check there anymore.
Same here. That two week return policy is bullshit too, especially when I order just about anything from Target.com and have 90 days. As soon as my GCU runs out, I'll be price matching anything on sale elsewhere.
Old 08-29-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is Best Buy GCU?
Old 08-29-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
What is Best Buy GCU?
Video game club that was discontinued.
Old 08-29-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
What is Best Buy GCU?
It's a now defunct program called Gamers Club Unlocked where you'd join for a set annual price. The main benefit was that you'd get 20% off any new videogame. This is why amazon also had a 20% off preorder program for a while, but got rid of it shortly after Best Buy sunsetted their program. Some people stacked up years of the sub so still have it active.
Old 08-29-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember that now.
Old 09-07-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's a now defunct program called Gamers Club Unlocked where you'd join for a set annual price. The main benefit was that you'd get 20% off any new videogame. This is why amazon also had a 20% off preorder program for a while, but got rid of it shortly after Best Buy sunsetted their program. Some people stacked up years of the sub so still have it active.
Wonder how much longer BB will honor those stacked GCU memberships.
Old 09-07-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Wonder how much longer BB will honor those stacked GCU memberships.
You could only stack so much so they'll go away on their own. But they obviously have something coded in to ignore GCU. They do it for black friday, but they had a "black friday in july" or whatever sale that basically didn't honor GCU.
Old 09-08-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There was no real way to stack them after the announcement, AFAIK. Their computer system had already killed it so that when they announced its demise you couldn't go into the store and buy a bunch of years. People could have stacked them, prior to that date, if they were just buying ahead like Xbox Live though.

I got lucky and re-upped the two years about two months before the announcement in 2018, so mine's still good until next March.

The website says they will honor GCU memberships until they expire.
Old 09-10-19, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
There was no real way to stack them after the announcement, AFAIK. Their computer system had already killed it so that when they announced its demise you couldn't go into the store and buy a bunch of years. People could have stacked them, prior to that date, if they were just buying ahead like Xbox Live though.

I got lucky and re-upped the two years about two months before the announcement in 2018, so mine's still good until next March.

The website says they will honor GCU memberships until they expire.
I'ts especially good for pre-orders. I have a couple pre-orders not coming out until 2020 (my GCU expires the 2nd week of Dec '19) and they're pre-ordered at 20% off.

Old 09-12-19, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by faust69 View Post
I'ts especially good for pre-orders. I have a couple pre-orders not coming out until 2020 (my GCU expires the 2nd week of Dec '19) and they're pre-ordered at 20% off.
If you can be without the cash upfront, I suggest you replace orders and pay immediately with PayPal. I've had issues with past Best Buy preorders so far in advance. Either something will happen where I am need of replacing the credit card used (potential identity theft) or Best Buy's system was acting flaky and canceled the order. Once that happens, if it's past when your GCU membership expires, you'll have missed out on the 20% off. Of course, if you use a gift card, there's no worries.

My GCU membership expires in February. I've got a couple of 2020 preorders I plan on placing before the end of this month. I'll use my Discover Card via PayPal. Right now, Discover is giving 5% cashback on purchases made through PayPal when you designate your primary PayPal payment card as Discover.
Old 09-12-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm wondering if a PS5 announcement will bring pre-orders in time for me to take advantage before mine expires.

Good call on the paypal lumberjack.