Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i just said fuck it with the stickers. it used to bother me, but now, what can you do. sometimes BB is the only way to go and i'm not going to pay more or out of my way just for some silly sticker on the slipcover...
Glad I'm not OCD about dumb as shit slipcovers.
Old 12-01-16, 12:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I imagine most of us can't even see the slipcovers when they're on the shelf. I enjoy a nice lithographic or special slipcover occasionally, but like all packaging it eventually ends up in the garbage.
Old 12-01-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah... if I get a slipcover it's cool but absolutely not needed. Most look just like the normal case art anyway which makes them added trouble when taking a disc out. A "nice" lithograph or lenticular cover is appreciated but I can also live without them.

While I didn't have to cut any out of the packaging this time, a few *were* in so tight I wondered just how they got them in without damaging either the packaging or product.
Old 12-02-16, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like slipcover - it makes the package more stable - since the original cases are crappy eco cases.

Thought it would be nice if all BD came in steelbook

Last edited by soundman2; 12-02-16 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-02-16, 09:12 AM

I just don't get the appeal of Steelbooks. What is it for you guys that are fans? (Not being snotty)
Old 12-02-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by js2shops
I just don't get the appeal of Steelbooks. What is it for you guys that are fans? (Not being snotty)
I hate them. They are not the same size as blu ray cases and they typically cost more for the same thing (or less).
Old 12-02-16, 10:27 AM

I agree, Josh. I find them heavy and bulky.
Old 12-02-16, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've never really understood the passion some get over steelbooks (or slip covers, but that's another discussion), especially when you look at the extra expense involved. I do own a few, but that usually is because of a sale or an added feature that the regular edition doesn't have. But hey, we're all collectors here. I'm sure there are titles in my collection that raise others' eyebrows.

As for Best Buy, I thinkeverything I ordered during Black Friday has now been shipped, including the item that had been given a estimated arrival of January.
Old 12-02-16, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care for slipcovers but if I get one from them...fuck. I paid for it even if I don't want it. I just want a clean product. Target has easy stickers to take off. Somehow BB is too dumb to understand they're damaging product.
Old 12-02-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't care for slipcovers but if I get one from them...fuck. I paid for it even if I don't want it. I just want a clean product. Target has easy stickers to take off. Somehow BB is too dumb to understand they're damaging product.
Exactly. Add WM to the "too dumb to understand they're damaging product" with their non-removable labels (which don't contain pricing info - just the date/batch it was put out).

I, too, don't understand the attraction to steel book packaging. If it's less expensive I'll buy it because it's less expensive, but I don't go out of my way, or pay more, to get it. If I purchase a title that comes in a "tin" I typically take the case out (unless it's one of those HBO things that are glued in - I hate those) and put the tin in storage. They just don't fit well on my shelves.
Old 12-02-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Moving to Slipcovers subforum---------->
Old 12-02-16, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Where the action's at.
Old 12-02-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You and your family should be safe
And you work hard to bring these media products into your home
Don't they deserve the same protection?
Slipcovers*...Because your Blu-rays have the right to be secure.

* Available wherev, er, sometimes, where Blu-ray's are sold.
Old 12-02-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by js2shops
I'm not offended.

I buy Steelbooks because of the artwork. And Best Buy's artwork on their mainstream series is just crap. I buy most Steelbooks out of the country and have them imported.

One of my recent Steelbook acquisitions is Chained (Vincent D'Onofrio and Jennifer Lynch).

I don't buy everything in Steelbook.

Criteria I use are:

1) Is the artwork thoughtful, unique, and not mainstream whoring of a popular movie just to sell tin

2) Do I like the movie?

3) Price
Old 12-02-16, 08:41 PM

My point exactly. Some people really get in a lather just because it's a Steelbook.
Old 12-03-16, 08:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

How do you steelbook and slipcover enthusiasts store your collections? Facing out on a shelf individually so as to enjoy the art? That seems like it would take up way to much space.
Old 12-04-16, 01:01 PM
Banned

When I first started collecting I hated alternative packaging—I wanted all my DVDs and blu-rays in neat, uniform packaging. But since those days I have done a complete 360º. I have the steelbook/metalpak disease. Over 200 titles in my library are in these tin cases and I cherish them. I love that they often have unique design and look like a piece of art. They enhance the collecting experience for me tremendously. Yes, it's primarily about the movie but anyone who says the packaging doesn't matter is being foolish—of course it does—just like disc art and slipcovers. Of course, I have to like the movie first. But I will usually choose the steelbook over the standard keepcase even at a premium.

At first, I wasn't a big fan of the Best Buy "Pop Art" series of steelbooks and metalpaks—I usually prefer original theatrical poster art. But like the Criterion approach to cover art, it's a refreshing departure from the mundane floating heads. I've grown to love them. Grabbing the latest group of these titles for $5-$7.50 each gave me the best collecting rush I've had in quite awhile. The only one I passed on was "Salt" because I own the original glossy finish with Angelina's mug emblazoned on the cover. Even though I own the digibook of Ghostbusters I & II, I ended up purchasing the steelbooks for $5 each to go with the "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call" UHD/3D/Blu-ray steelbook. I may trade in the digibook but would rather hold on to it 'cause I doubt I would get more than a couple of bucks. Buying movies nowadays is becoming pretty passé for most. There's nothing rational about collecting—it's just pleasurable for those of us who continue the practice. The studios are going to continue doing things that will move us to spend our dough and packaging is a tremendous motivator. Will I continue to re-purchase movies that receive the steelbook treatment that I already own? Absolutely! Is that rational? Absolutely not!—so what? It's a harmless addiction. I don't smoke, I rarely drink and I never do drugs. Therefore I have a helluva lot more disposable cash for other less destructive pleasures.
Old 12-04-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
How do you steelbook and slipcover enthusiasts store your collections? Facing out on a shelf individually so as to enjoy the art? That seems like it would take up way to much space.
Yeah, face out would take up too much space--at least for me.

Some people just rotate whatever titles they would like on display, and just have a few titles face out on display holders.

I just store them in the Steelbook plastic sleeves on a shelf, which protects the entire Steelbook from scratches--which can easily occur on some Steelbooks due to their thin layer of artwork. Taking movies on and off a shelf can easily scratch these things without protective cases.
Old 12-04-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I enjoy the occasional steelbook when the fancy strikes.
Old 12-04-16, 02:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That's about the extent of it for me. Content is key for me, everything else not so much.
Old 12-04-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I like steel books, they look and feel cool, but I don't buy them to show them off. I just place them on either two columns of my collection of Blu-rays. I believe in equality.

If there's a movie I like available in steel book, I try to seek them out as long as they're reasonably priced and they don't have any extra content gutted.
Old 12-04-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Christmas In Connecticut (1945) $5.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/christma...&skuId=5623220

A Christmas Carol George C Scott $5.99 Currently Out of Stock online. Check for in Store pick up.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/a-christ...?skuId=7012228

Miracle of 34th St. (1947) $9.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/miracle-...?skuId=9508044

Jingle All The Way $5.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jingle-a...?skuId=9117788

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-04-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Vote with your dollars the way I do- if the store puts a sticker on an unsealed slipcover, I simply don't buy it.

I can take or leave Steelbooks- if a movie I want to buy comes in one then great, but if I already have it I'm not going to re-buy it, or buy a crappy movie just because it's in one. I hate the ones that hold 2 overlapping discs too, would almost rather buy those in a regular case.
Old 12-04-16, 11:53 PM

The only steel books I have ever truly cared about were the Dark Knight trilogy movies. Those did something for me. Everything is kind of whatever.
Old 12-05-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Vote with your dollars the way I do- if the store puts a sticker on an unsealed slipcover, I simply don't buy it.

I can take or leave Steelbooks- if a movie I want to buy comes in one then great, but if I already have it I'm not going to re-buy it, or buy a crappy movie just because it's in one. I hate the ones that hold 2 overlapping discs too, would almost rather buy those in a regular case.
That is the third sign of the Apocalypse in the last few months ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.