Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Deleted content since not BBY


Print Wikipost

Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 05-14-12, 02:47 PM
  #226  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 1,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by adamcampb View Post
No one's mentioned the Mel Brooks Collection (9 movies) for $39.99? Got it yesterday.
I see 2 listings for the MB Blu-ray collection, one with a release date last week. The price is different based on the release date ... I see the same at Amazon.

What is different about the re-release?
Old 05-14-12, 02:53 PM
  #227  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 1,799
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by flix1 View Post
I see 2 listings for the MB Blu-ray collection, one with a release date last week. The price is different based on the release date ... I see the same at Amazon.

What is different about the re-release?
I'll answer my own question.

The new set appears to come in a standard blu-type case, whereas the previous version came in what appeared to be an oversized childrens book.
Old 05-14-12, 03:58 PM
  #228  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
Movies in the box are shrinkwrapped.

I sold each pair of glasses for $30 each plus $5 shipping on amazon. Gave the guy a shipping credit back of $5 for buying two pairs. So sold two pairs for $65 minus amazon fees and my shipping costs.
SoonerDoc and Quake1028, did you list your Samsung 3D glasses as new and untested (with no returns accepted?) or as opened/unused/untested, or did you test them to verify they work? I have no way to test them. So what would happen if I sold them and then the buyer said they don't work?

I'd be happy to net $40-$50 from selling the glasses which would mostly pay for the set, but I saw lots on auctions for less on eBay that never got any bids. I don't even know how to sell on Amazon. Can anyone do that or do you have to be an established vendor with a reputation (like an eBay feedback)? I'll probably stick with eBay since I know how that works.

It's good that movies are shrinkwrapped. I hope if I open it and see I got vouchers that BB would accept a return in spite of the box being opened. I was hoping that someone who still has all the parts (like Quake1028 if he hasn't mailed his already) could put the box and all the contents on a scale and see if they matched what mine weighed. If it's missing 2 BDs that should show up as a weight difference, but it doesn't look like anyone is going to weigh theirs. Maybe everyone doesn't have an accurate postal scale or everyone has already sold off their glasses?
Old 05-14-12, 04:03 PM
  #229  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,651
Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by adamcampb View Post
No one's mentioned the Mel Brooks Collection (9 movies) for $39.99? Got it yesterday.
Down just 20 more dollars and it's mine!
Old 05-14-12, 04:10 PM
  #230  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 14,629
Received 322 Likes on 224 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by jiggyblau View Post
I noticed a display at Best Buy today for the first time. The following movies are all $9.99, and they include $10 movie cash to see Prometheus. So the films are basically free after movie cash. I forget what the end date was, but I believe the sale prices were good until early June. Check your stores for details. As far as ordering online, I'm not sure if you'll get the movie cash, but you could always try.

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
The A Team
X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Fight Club
Taken
I, Robot
Last of the Mohicans
Knight and Day
Do the individual Alien releases have all the extras that the box set has?
Old 05-14-12, 04:15 PM
  #231  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by flix1 View Post
I'll answer my own question.

The new set appears to come in a standard blu-type case, whereas the previous version came in what appeared to be an oversized childrens book.
Yup. Which would be my preference, anyway. (The smaller case.)

Looks like Amazon has it at $48.
Old 05-14-12, 09:43 PM
  #232  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,128
Received 585 Likes on 276 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
I'd be happy to net $40-$50 from selling the glasses which would mostly pay for the set, but I saw lots on auctions for less on eBay that never got any bids. I don't even know how to sell on Amazon. Can anyone do that or do you have to be an established vendor with a reputation (like an eBay feedback)? I'll probably stick with eBay since I know how that works.
Selling on Amazon is easy. Way easier than ebay. I can have an Amazon listing done in about 30 seconds. They take a bigger cut than ebay, especially for small ticket items, but it's so worth it to not have to deal with the hassle of non paying bidders, etc.
Old 05-14-12, 09:57 PM
  #233  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 21,955
Received 394 Likes on 305 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Manzana there is a button on the product page that says something like "have one, sell it now" it will have you set up the seller account but like Obi said its pretty painless.

Basically set it and forget itŠ

Last edited by whotony; 05-14-12 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 09:34 AM
  #234  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Obi-Wan Jabroni and whotony, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can easily find how much more of a cut Amazon takes than eBay. I still have a couple questions (for anyone):

For those who have sold the 2 3D glasses from the Samsung 3D Starter Kit on eBay or Amazon for $25-$30-ish each, did you list the items as new or used, tested or untested (if you have an active 3D TV which I don't), and did you say you'd allow returns in case the glasses don't work? Normally I sell media which always works, but in this case it's untested electronics and I don't know what would happen if one didn't work. I wonder if I should take the glasses to a store and see if they'd let me test them on a Samsung active 3D TV.

And how do you avoid non-paying bidders on Amazon and how does the feedback work? Well, I'm sure that's answered on Amazon's site, so I guess I'll have to do a little reading unless someone wants to quickly summarize. And here I always thought that Amazon Marketplace was only for sellers who had business licenses. eBay isn't that much more work, especially since a load of these auctions already exist and I can just copy most of the text. The big question is what to do with the new/used and returns allowed aspect.
Old 05-15-12, 09:49 AM
  #235  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 21,955
Received 394 Likes on 305 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I haven't tried to sell on eBay in years. I just actually got an email from them saying congrats on 12 years of eBay selling, whatever.

Never had a problem on eBay but probably because I stopped selling when they made it easy for buyers to get their money back just by saying they never got the item.

There seems to be a different set of people who buy on Amazon.
Plus there is no bidding so you just buy it. No sniping and no shady stuff going on.
Old 05-15-12, 09:54 AM
  #236  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,116
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

^^ Amazon is not bidders/auctions. You classify the item yourself (new, used like new, good etc), put in a detailed description to cover yourself, select which shipping methods you accept and put a price down. You get paid and Amazon gives you the buyer's address on a packing slip you print out and ship with the item. Then every 2 weeks you get paid the total you have earned. You are limited to stuff in Amazon's catalogue (search by UPC etc) and when you list an item it will tell you how much shipping credit and how much you will get paid for the various shipping options.
Old 05-15-12, 10:08 AM
  #237  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,128
Received 585 Likes on 276 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

^Actually, the money is put in your amazon seller account as soon as your mark the item as shipped. It's transferred automatically to your bank account every 2 weeks, but you can request a transfer at any time (so if you're only selling one item, you don't have to wait 2 weeks to get paid).

As far as feedback, there is seller feedback, but I don't think most people worry about it. I've sold probably over a hunded items and I think I only have like 20 or so ratings from buyers.
Old 05-15-12, 10:42 AM
  #238  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

You have to pay the shipping costs when you ship obviously, but since you'll be new, you won't get your money for at least 14 days. Make sure you accurately grade the item's condition, because if it does not meet the grading guidelines that Amazon makes, the customer can return it (or if you refuse to accept the return, they can file an AZ Claim and perhaps get to keep the item and get their money back). You have to accept returns, for any reason, for at least 30 days after the sale or delivery date (can't remember which one). Amazon handles the payment, so if there is any problem with the credit card, Amazon catches it and tells you not to ship the item yet. I've rarely had an issue of a non-paying buyer, and when I did, Amazon caught it and immediately sent me a "do not ship" message.

Basically, make sure you read all of the terms you're agreeing to before you sell. You have to play by Amazon's rules, and if you don't, you can be banned from ever selling there again.

Last edited by tbender; 05-15-12 at 11:15 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 05-15-12, 11:02 AM
  #239  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Kedrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, Tx
Posts: 4,446
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I use Half.com myself (magkick). Coverage is not as wide as Amazon but I do a good bit of business on there. They pay a decent amount for shipping and take 15% for commission. Plus, I have a built up feedback rating which I really don't feel like resetting on Amazon. And then if I have a special item which does not meet Half.com's listing, then I just go on Ebay with the same feedback. Works for me
Old 05-15-12, 11:02 AM
  #240  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,128
Received 585 Likes on 276 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

^^Is that a newer policy? I checked my history. I opened my Marketplace account on 1/18/10, sold my first items on 1/19/10, and received my first deposit on 2/1/10.
Old 05-15-12, 11:14 AM
  #241  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
^^Is that a newer policy? I checked my history. I opened my Marketplace account on 1/18/10, sold my first items on 1/19/10, and received my first deposit on 2/1/10.
Ah, Amazon says it's 14 days for new sellers... I may be thinking of electronics sellers. I've seen a bunch of people complain that Amazon is holding their money because they sold a lot or sold electronics and Amazon holds the money for up to 30 days to make sure that the customers are getting products that are genuine and actually work. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 05-15-12, 02:40 PM
  #242  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,501
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Obi-Wan Jabroni and whotony, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can easily find how much more of a cut Amazon takes than eBay. I still have a couple questions (for anyone):

For those who have sold the 2 3D glasses from the Samsung 3D Starter Kit on eBay or Amazon for $25-$30-ish each, did you list the items as new or used, tested or untested (if you have an active 3D TV which I don't), and did you say you'd allow returns in case the glasses don't work? Normally I sell media which always works, but in this case it's untested electronics and I don't know what would happen if one didn't work. I wonder if I should take the glasses to a store and see if they'd let me test them on a Samsung active 3D TV.

And how do you avoid non-paying bidders on Amazon and how does the feedback work? Well, I'm sure that's answered on Amazon's site, so I guess I'll have to do a little reading unless someone wants to quickly summarize. And here I always thought that Amazon Marketplace was only for sellers who had business licenses. eBay isn't that much more work, especially since a load of these auctions already exist and I can just copy most of the text. The big question is what to do with the new/used and returns allowed aspect.
I sell on ebay maybe once a year. I use amazon almost exclusively. I have sold mainly DVD/Bluray/Video Games and some electronics. I rarely have problems. On the rare occasion I get a complaint, I refer the customer back to my product description or to amazon return policies and that usually takes care of it. VERY rarely I have given the customer a small refund concession to keep a product, but if you describe the product appropriately, you shouldn't run into any problems. My lifetime feedback rating is 99% with 149 positives, 1 neutral and 1 negative (from 5 years ago).

Here is the description I used for listing the glasses. I never say the product is factory sealed unless it is factory sealed.

Brand New, Came out of Samsung 3D Starter Kit, Still has Protective Film on Lenses, Includes Unopened Battery and Cleaning Cloth, Check My Feedback!! (discounted shipping if order more than one pair....will refund shipping charges on 2nd pair)
Old 05-15-12, 03:15 PM
  #243  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
I sell on ebay maybe once a year. I use amazon almost exclusively. I have sold mainly DVD/Bluray/Video Games and some electronics. I rarely have problems. On the rare occasion I get a complaint, I refer the customer back to my product description or to amazon return policies and that usually takes care of it. VERY rarely I have given the customer a small refund concession to keep a product, but if you describe the product appropriately, you shouldn't run into any problems. My lifetime feedback rating is 99% with 149 positives, 1 neutral and 1 negative (from 5 years ago).

Here is the description I used for listing the glasses. I never say the product is factory sealed unless it is factory sealed.

Brand New, Came out of Samsung 3D Starter Kit, Still has Protective Film on Lenses, Includes Unopened Battery and Cleaning Cloth, Check My Feedback!! (discounted shipping if order more than one pair....will refund shipping charges on 2nd pair)
Just a word of caution...customers aren't required to read your listing notes. That's why I suggested making sure your product condition meets all of the guidelines Amazon has set for whatever condition you choose. For example, if you sell a DVD as "like new" that runs perfectly, was never watched, but the case is broken or the cover art is damaged, putting those details in your listing notes won't help you in an AZ claim or allow you to deny a refund because the customer got exactly what you wrote they would.
Old 05-15-12, 04:06 PM
  #244  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
davidlynchfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,659
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Isn't there always that someone that's going to beat your listing price by a penny or more the moment you list your item (on Amazon). Your item could sit there forever if you don't want to get into a price war. Just a caveat to point out from my experience on Amazon.
Old 05-15-12, 04:38 PM
  #245  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Isn't there always that someone that's going to beat your listing price by a penny or more the moment you list your item (on Amazon). Your item could sit there forever if you don't want to get into a price war. Just a caveat to point out from my experience on Amazon.
Agreed, but I think that's where your feedback and product listing notes come help. I'd rather pay a bit more for something when it comes from someone with good feedback and a really good description so I know exactly what I'm getting.
Old 05-15-12, 04:50 PM
  #246  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 21,955
Received 394 Likes on 305 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by tbender View Post
Agreed, but I think that's where your feedback and product listing notes come help. I'd rather pay a bit more for something when it comes from someone with good feedback and a really good description so I know exactly what I'm getting.
There is truth n this.

I've sold things that are more then a few dollars more then the cheapest. My 100% surely helps and only one review was less then 5 stars, it was 4.5.
Old 05-15-12, 05:13 PM
  #247  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 7,585
Received 294 Likes on 197 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

My Samsung 3D Starter kit said something like "3 discs plus 2 vouchers" on the side of the box, and it came with vouchers. So if your kit doesn't say "vouchers" on the side of the box, then all 5 discs should be inside.

Also, my kit rang up at $58.99. After putting the merchandise in my car, I walked back in with my receipt to Customer Service and had them price match the website price of $49.99, no problem.
Old 05-15-12, 05:26 PM
  #248  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ProfessorEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Middle, Nowhere
Posts: 2,016
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

There is also a weird thing sometimes with Amazon buyers where you take an item you haven't been able to sell for awhile, raise the price on it and suddenly it sells! This has happened to me quite a bit in all the years I've been selling at Amazon. My only guess is that someone has had it in their cart for a long time, sees the increase and panics that it's only going to get higher. Anyone else ever run into this?

Manzana, I highly recommend you sell on Amazon and not eBay. I moved from the latter over to Amazon about seven years ago and never looked back nor regretted it in the slightest.
Old 05-15-12, 07:24 PM
  #249  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,371
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
There is also a weird thing sometimes with Amazon buyers where you take an item you haven't been able to sell for awhile, raise the price on it and suddenly it sells! This has happened to me quite a bit in all the years I've been selling at Amazon. My only guess is that someone has had it in their cart for a long time, sees the increase and panics that it's only going to get higher. Anyone else ever run into this?

Manzana, I highly recommend you sell on Amazon and not eBay. I moved from the latter over to Amazon about seven years ago and never looked back nor regretted it in the slightest.
completely agree. Buy and sell on Amazon - its my motto now.
Old 05-15-12, 10:20 PM
  #250  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Best Buy / bestbuy.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Thanks, everyone, for some good comments. I'm still not sure how much of a cut Amazon will take, but I'll look it up and give it a try. Hopefully it's not any worse than 15%. So I need to open a seller account and read all the fine print.

SoonerDoc, thanks for the description you used. The only thing you didn't mention in it is if they had been tested to work, but I'm thinking if (as I read) Amazon requires sellers to accept returns for 30 days then there's really no point in bringing it up. I supposed I might modify yours to say: "Brand new and never used, came out of Samsung 3D Starter Kit, Still has Protective Film on Lenses, Includes Unopened Battery and Cleaning Cloth".

One difference between Amazon and eBay appears to be on eBay you can say no returns are allowed and describe the item as new but untested. That would probably get you a lower selling price, though. While on Amazon it sounds like people will assume it works, and if it doesn't then you'll end up with your glasses back in used, non-working condition, and be out the shipping costs and stuck with the glasses if you're past your return window. I guess that's incentive to hurry before my 45 days BB return period is over. This means you have to hope that Samsung 3D glasses have a low defective rate and that the buyer is honest.

Todd B., thanks so much for the clarification on the "3 discs plus 2 vouchers" on the side of the box that I'd been hoping someone would post. It's nice to know that even though the UPCs may be the same that Samsung took the time to put accurate info on the side of the box.

Guess I've got some work to do on Amazon tomorrow to set up this sale, and I should probably figure if I can sell each for $25 + shipping and clear $20 x 2, that I'm lucky and the kit was still a good deal for the 3D BD versions of these movies that I already own in 2D.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.