Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Super 8 and others 9.99 USED with 1.99 shipping at Family Video

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 01-18-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking at family video and found Super 8 for 9.99 with 1.99 shipping. Couldn't find any free shipping codes though. It may however not come with the slip or the dvd/digital copy (but it might). According to the site it does come with the art and case though.

Super 8

Others of note

Fright Night- 9.99
Kung Fu Panda 2- 9.99
Friends with Benefits- 9.99
Captain America- 8.49
Final Destination 5- 11.99
Thor- 8.49
Alice in Wonderland- 5.99
Cowboys & Aliens- 9.99

Decent deals if you ask me, especially since everyone went crazy over some newer ones at 9.99 at blockbuster earlier, even though one of them was Green Lantern :P

I posted this at blu-ray.com also, thought you guys could use this too.

Last edited by glassdragon; 01-18-12 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Super 8 and others 9.99 USED with 1.99 shipping at Family Video

Hmmm, might be in for Super 8 and FwB. Had a good experience the one time I ordered there before (Pirates...)
Old 01-18-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up Super 8 at my local store for 9.99 also. While there was no DC or DVD, it did come with the slip. So if you are into that thing then you could always check there too.
Old 01-19-12, 02:43 PM
FamilyVideo.com

Hi, guys!

Thanks for your interest in buying previously-viewed titles from Family Video. Yes, all previously-viewed titles from us are 100% guaranteed, come complete with Original Studio Art & Case, and are professionally refurbished.

Any extras, such as digital copies or flyers as you've mentioned are not guaranteed to be included. Orders are fulfilled by multiple locations, so if the flyers are an absolute deal-breaker, check out your local Family Video to see what they have. =)
Old 01-20-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the online prices are the same in the stores, provided they have stock? I pass one on my work commute and could pit stop and save on shipping while paying sales tax.
Old 01-20-12, 01:29 PM
FamilyVideo.com

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
So the online prices are the same in the stores, provided they have stock? I pass one on my work commute and could pit stop and save on shipping while paying sales tax.
Pricing you see at FamilyVideo.com is for online orders only; in-store product pricing may vary. But yes, you'll save on shipping if you buy in-store, even getting it same day without having to wait a few days.

However, we've recently lowered our prices on previously-viewed DVDs on our website, so if you don't find anything in-store, definitely check us out online for a wider selection.
Old 01-20-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped at the store and they had Capt. USA and Hammerman for $9.95. While the Digital Copy slips were in the packages, I was told the DVDs weren't available because they'd separated them out for rental. I asked what of the DC downloads and was told that I didn't need the DVDs because the codes were all I needed. Of course, the instructions start with, "Put the disc in your computer." Pffft.
Old 01-20-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No special features on these, correct?
Old 01-20-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, they're retail copies with full extras and BD cases.
Old 01-20-12, 09:11 PM

^ Really? Aren't these ex-rental copies? I thought Paramount and Universal stopped putting special features on their rental discs. I'll definitely go for Cap and Thor if all the features are on there.
Old 01-20-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are shots of the Cap extras menu and the Thor disc showing that it says Feature Film and Special Features (along with the back of the Cap case):

If you're cool with losing the DVD/Digital Copy, then it's a good deal. Not as good as getting it for $5 at BBV, but if you want extras, it's the best you'll get until they get cheap. Actually, now that I think of it, I was planning on waiting until the inevitable sale with movie cash for Avengers that's bound to happen. Drat. Oh well.
Old 01-21-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Super 8 was a retail copy too minus dvd/dc which I don't care about

I'm pretty sure for most movies FV gets full retail combo packs and splits up the blu and dvd to rent, certainly much cheaper than buying them separately. that's why you won't ever see a dvd copy in their blu sales, but it will likely be the retail disc also.
Old 01-21-12, 12:09 AM

I already bought Cap and Thor for $15 each at Wal-Mart last month, but I haven't opened them. I have no use for the DVD/Digital Copy, so buying them here would be about $10 cheaper. Hmmm...

It still seems strange that these have all the special features included. Does Family Video not acquire rental discs direct from the studios? Every Paramount/Warner/Universal rental I've seen in the last six months has been barebones.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-21-12 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-21-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I already bought Cap and Thor for $15 each at Wal-Mart last month, but I haven't opened them. I have no use for the DVD/Digital Copy, so buying them here would be about $10 cheaper. Hmmm...

It still seems strange that these have all the special features included. Does Family Video not acquire rental discs direct from the studios? Every Paramount/Warner/Universal rental I've seen in the last six months has been barebones.
You keep saying they have the features of the retail version.. They ARE the retail versions. The exact same discs you get at the store.

As I had stated, for a few months now they've been buying combo packs and renting out the dvd's and blu-rays then selling them off separately. Whether the studios know or condone this isn't really my concern, but I have gotten I believe 4 blu-rays from them so far since they started doing that and not 1 has been a rental copy. Every one has been the full retail version minus dvd/dc

Their store has rental copies, but those are mostly older titles. From looking through their store, none of the new releases were rental copies, all retail.

Oh and FamilyVideo, you should hook us up with a free shipping code. Drop that here and on blu-ray.com I guarantee that you will get thousands of orders.

Last edited by glassdragon; 01-21-12 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-21-12, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by FamilyVideo View Post
so if the flyers are an absolute deal-breaker, check out your local Family Video to see what they have. =)
now you just need to have some local stores in southern california....
Old 01-21-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by duganrm View Post
now you just need to have some local stores in southern california....
I'll trade you a family video, but I want a damn Frys :P
Old 01-21-12, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
I'll trade you a family video, but I want a damn Frys :P
This. While we have Meijer here, I'd rather have some Frys with my order.
Old 01-21-12, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
You keep saying they have the features of the retail version.. They ARE the retail versions.
No, I get it -- I just find it odd that no other video store I've been to does it this way. The only time I've heard of stores buying the combo pack version was with Pirates 4. I believe that was only because Disney refused to provide a standalone DVD release.
Old 01-21-12, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for head up.

Just picked up Thor. There are others I want but limiting my budget this year.

Too bad there is no B&M store 50 miles of work or home.
Old 01-21-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
No, I get it -- I just find it odd that no other video store I've been to does it this way. The only time I've heard of stores buying the combo pack version was with Pirates 4. I believe that was only because Disney refused to provide a standalone DVD release.
Yeah, I'll give you that. I haven't seen any other store do this either. I assume they have permission from the studios to do this, at least I hope they do. It's nice though not seeing Rental Exclusive on everything they rent out or sell for a change.

Come to think of it, the only chain I know of that even has rental exclusives is Blockbuster since there really aren't rental chains anymore. I wonder if the rental exclusive thing was what they had to do to get the movies before redbox.

Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
This. While we have Meijer here, I'd rather have some Frys with my order.
Meijer is meh. I rarely see any great deals there. Every week though it seems that Fry's has some awesome prices on blu-rays or tv's.
Old 01-21-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meijer is good when they have their 15-20% off sales for using their credit card. I've picked up a couple of Xboxes and my PS3 that way. They had an intro offer where you could apply for the card, get immediately approved, and get 10% off on top of the 20% they were running, so I got my 60GB fat PS3 for $360, effectively 28% off and the cheapest you could get one for TWO years, when the $299 Slim was introduced.

But in general I'd rather have a Fry's, too.