Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

I traded in five today. The woman gave me one copy of the coupon attached to the printout. I told her I was only getting be or two today but she still wouldn't give me five coupons.

Managed to Only find one I wanted and the cashier was confused for a moment and simply crossed off one of the trades on the print out.

This deal should be so simple and I don't understand why these dopes do anything they can to make it difficult.
Old 01-22-12, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I've felt your pain, but after two weeks of checking, was finally able to get one at my store. Thing is, I had to ask an employee about it to finally get one, though.

I had gone in Friday afternoon, and was disappointed with the lack of stock on the floor. I asked someone when they would be getting another shipment, as there were some titles they had advertised I had been checking for, but still hadn't seen any in stock in almost two weeks of checking. They said they would be getting one later that day, and to look again tomorrow. Back I went the next day, hoping they may finally have more stock out. Nope. It didn't even look like they had gotten anything new from the previous day. So I asked another clerk if they had in fact gotten a shipment the day before. He said yes, and when I explained the predicament to him, he actually looked in their system to see if they had any on hand. Turns out they showed they did, even though no product was on the floor. He said - "Give me a minute, I'll see if they're still out back"- then proceed to come back from the stock room with a copies of The Hulk and 40 Year Old Virgin in hand. Moral to the story - when in doubt, it pays to ask.
I went ahead and asked today on my second to last trip, and no luck. He said they carry it, but that it's out of stock.

Today I picked up Thor, Captain America, American History X, Nightmare 2/3, and Raging Bull.

Trading in a few more tomorrow, going to get Gangs of NY, Scream 4, Insidious, and maybe Memento or Bridesmaids.
Old 01-23-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texan26
Yet you posted this earlier in the thread:

"Did you ask them to adjust it to the shelf tag price or no? I know one store they just refused to do it, but the other one went ahead and overrode the price to $9.99 so that the coupon would work for me."

Sounds like you did the same thing although not as big a loss.
Yes I did that, and thx to the others here who defended me while I was out yesterday. If you understand the whole story in regards to this price issue then you too would agree that they should honor it. For some reason 4 titles that already had a "CORRECT" shelf tag(SKU matches) on them of a price for $9.99 with a sale ends date of 1/28/12,but on the 1st day of the program they inexplicably get marked down to $9.75 essentially voiding them from the program I expect them to honor it since they left the tag out there. Moreso because the shelf tag preceded the drop in price. IF Best Buy had removed the tag then there would not be the opputunity to do the raise in price obviously.
Old 01-23-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Yes I did that, and thx to the others here who defended me while I was out yesterday. If you understand the whole story in regards to this price issue then you too would agree that they should honor it. For some reason 4 titles that already had a "CORRECT" shelf tag(SKU matches) on them of a price for $9.99 with a sale ends date of 1/28/12,but on the 1st day of the program they inexplicably get marked down to $9.75 essentially voiding them from the program I expect them to honor it since they left the tag out there. Moreso because the shelf tag preceded the drop in price. IF Best Buy had removed the tag then there would not be the opputunity to do the raise in price obviously.
I hope that wasn't to me. I wasn't talking about the 9.75 debacle. If they have the shelf tag for the correct movie out there and it is marked wrong then by all means. No one here was saying you are wrong for having them pm that so you can get it, hell even i had them do that once since the shelf said 9.99. I had to do that with Boyz in the Hood. That WAS their fault for not removing the incorrect pricing. The traffic thing was not their fault. I would have done exactly what you would have done on those 4, and did. They were kind of confused as I was probably the first person to ever ask them to RAISE a price on a movie.

What everyone had a problem with is someone earlier looking at the Traffic shelf tag that was obviously for the regular edition at 9.99 and then telling the rep that it was the criterion tag that said it was 9.99 and scamming them to get the traffic criterion for 10 bucks.
Old 01-23-12, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
It's just Bestbuy, have at it and lose your morals people.
(regarding the Traffic CC and Universal mixup)
Agreed - a whole lot of nanny whining in this thread. Is it really worth all this chatter? Who cares? Get off your high horse, people.

Wahh. (Mr. Rogers Neighborhood had a serious impact on some of our childhoods, I guess..)
Old 01-23-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bellevuecoug
Agreed - a whole lot of nanny whining in this thread. Is it really worth all this chatter? Who cares? Get off your high horse, people.

Wahh. (Mr. Rogers Neighborhood had a serious impact on some of our childhoods, I guess..)
Whatever, you're still wrong.
Old 01-23-12, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by whotony
Whatever, you're still wrong.
Shame on me!
Old 01-23-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bellevuecoug
(Mr. Rogers Neighborhood had a serious impact on some of our childhoods, I guess..)

I do have a fondness for cardigans!
Old 01-23-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't bother Whotony. People with questionable morals tend to think that everyone else is wrong when they say that it's wrong. There is no point in arguing with them. One day though when they have something bad happen and look up to say "Why is this happening to me?" they'll know why. They're welcome to steal for as long as they want, but one day it will come back at them and it will be glorious.
Old 01-23-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-23-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwstl
There was no price mistake; you took advantage of a lazy employee. The tags at the store list the correct SKU and it wasn't for the Criterion. And you knew that. I looked at the tags and it also said it was for the Combo pack with a regular price of 14.99. Clearly not the Criterion. I don't care if you got the deal but don't pretend you didn't know what you were doing.
I never said I didn't know that the price tag was wrong.

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I really didn't think to match SKU's though I suspected it was not for the Criterion version.
YOu assumed I did. All I said was I didn't verify the tag, though from my experience, I knew it was PROBABLY the wrong tag in front of the Criterion, but I didn't check .. .and neither did the employee who walked me back there to verify it.

Again, many that might not do this would "take advantage" of price mistakes (DD's Band of Brothers), use coupons that were not intended for that item (like Disney coupons that are only for the 3D, but work with the 2D), double up on PMs, and store coupons, etc and all the while would justify it because it does not offend their morality. I really don't care whether someone agrees or disagrees on the points I make, only that the understand the intent of the posts.

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I wouldn't bother Whotony. People with questionable morals tend to think that everyone else is wrong when they say that it's wrong. There is no point in arguing with them. One day though when they have something bad happen and look up to say "Why is this happening to me?" they'll know why. They're welcome to steal for as long as they want, but one day it will come back at them and it will be glorious.
1 Timothy 1:9
Old 01-23-12, 11:40 AM

You guys are making me laugh. Good stuff around here.
Old 01-23-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Again, many that might not do this would "take advantage" of price mistakes (DD's Band of Brothers), use coupons that were not intended for that item (like Disney coupons that are only for the 3D, but work with the 2D), double up on PMs, and store coupons, etc and all the while would justify it because it does not offend their morality. I really don't care whether someone agrees or disagrees on the points I make, only that the understand the intent of the posts.
Let me be clear here. You are comparing a price mistake with what you did, they are not the same thing. There was no price mistake, it was simply an item i the wrong spot which the store cannot control. IF the store had a tag in front that said 9.99 for the criterion with the correct sku of the criterion then it wouldn't be an issue, that is something they have direct control over.

I also agree that using a 3d coupon on a 2d coupon is coupon fraud and would never do it myself.

I don't know what you mean by doubling up on pms, as I'm not sure how you can pm something twice, but most stores have it clearly in their policy that you can use one store coupon AND one manufactures coupon per transaction. Both Best Buy and Target have that policy. So your examples are not even in the same ball park of what occurred with you.

There is nothing wrong with going with the price they have listed or using coupons as per their policy. You did NOT go with their price listed, their listed price was 29.99. You got it for the price of a different version, so again, not the same thing, even remotely.
Old 01-23-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're welcome to steal for as long as they want, but one day it will come back at them and it will be glorious.
Interesting to learn that your "morals" make an exception for taking delight in vengeance and retribution.
Old 01-23-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope that wasn't to me. I wasn't talking about the 9.75 debacle. If they have the shelf tag for the correct movie out there and it is marked wrong then by all means. No one here was saying you are wrong for having them pm that so you can get it, hell even i had them do that once since the shelf said 9.99. I had to do that with Boyz in the Hood. That WAS their fault for not removing the incorrect pricing. The traffic thing was not their fault. I would have done exactly what you would have done on those 4, and did. They were kind of confused as I was probably the first person to ever ask them to RAISE a price on a movie.

What everyone had a problem with is someone earlier looking at the Traffic shelf tag that was obviously for the regular edition at 9.99 and then telling the rep that it was the criterion tag that said it was 9.99 and scamming them to get the traffic criterion for 10 bucks.
Nah, not directed at you but Texan26 trying to call me out saying "BUT YOU DID THIS....." And which you rightfully defended me on since you yourself did it as well. Sorry for any possible confusion. Carry on.
Old 01-23-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll take a double portion of pms.
Old 01-23-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Interesting to learn that your "morals" make an exception for taking delight in vengeance and retribution.
Hello Mr Strawman, nice to meet you.

Now, would you like to add something to the conversation that actually has something to do with said conversation?
Old 01-23-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My contribution has to do with your selective morality, very much on topic for the moment and "said conversation," but hardly on topic for the purpose of the thread. In any case, my statement speaks for itself. Reflect and ponder at will.
Old 01-23-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's almost sad when someone runs out of arguments and then just decides it's time to start trying to change the subject to a non relevant subject. It's ok though, the forum has a handy ignore feature for people such as yourself.
Old 01-23-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-23-12, 12:57 PM

double up on PMs, and store coupons, etc and all the while would justify it because it does not offend their morality. I
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'll take a double portion of pms.

misplaced comma and/or confusing words --- should have read use PMs AND store coupons (not manu. coupons) on the same transaction (like some have gotten Target to do, even though it's against their law ... err ... I mean policy)

Let me be clear here. You are comparing a price mistake with what you did, they are not the same thing. There was no price mistake, it was simply an item i the wrong spot which the store cannot control. IF the store had a tag in front that said 9.99 for the criterion with the correct sku of the criterion then it wouldn't be an issue, that is something they have direct control over.

I also agree that using a 3d coupon on a 2d coupon is coupon fraud and would never do it myself.

I don't know what you mean by doubling up on pms, as I'm not sure how you can pm something twice, but most stores have it clearly in their policy that you can use one store coupon AND one manufactures coupon per transaction. Both Best Buy and Target have that policy. So your examples are not even in the same ball park of what occurred with you.

There is nothing wrong with going with the price they have listed or using coupons as per their policy. You did NOT go with their price listed, their listed price was 29.99. You got it for the price of a different version, so again, not the same thing, even remotely.
Again most would agree that a price mistake is no more the intent of the company than a misplaced price tag. I am not here to argue with you about what you consider "righteous" or "moral", only to help you see the hypocrisy of your "morality".
Old 01-23-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to join in on the deep moral discussion but I did go back today and picked up five more titles.

Dead Poets Society $9.99
Good Morning Vietnam $9.99
Glory $4.99 (had to override the $9.75 price but had no problem since the tags on the shelf were $9.99)
Knocked Up $4.99
Incredible Hulk $4.99
Old 01-23-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts

Picked up Raging Bull & Dances for Wolves combined for $8.00 + tax as you get $5 off when you buy both.
Old 01-23-12, 01:28 PM

My trade-in experience did not go smoothly.. The BB employee that attempted to help me had no clue how the program worked. She scanned each of the movies in- which resulted in being "charged" for my four trade-ins and she took the $20.00 of my four trade-in's and my four blu rays. I spent the better half of fifteen minutes explaining to how the program worked and such. Finally I asked for managerial assitance and took him thirty seconds to clear the issue up. Picked Knocked-Up; She's All That; Inception and 500 Days of Summer for roughly $31.00
Old 01-23-12, 01:30 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Picked up Raging Bull & Dances for Wolves combined for $8.00 + tax as you get $5 off when you buy both.
You lucked out..that coupon is expired

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.