Reload this Page >

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

Old 01-12-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy Upgrade & Save, Jan 8 - Jan 28, 2012

Went in with 5 crappy DVDs and was surprised that they barely bothered to look at them. Didn't check for bar code, what they were, or even quality - just how many I had.

Only down side was that the store was pretty stocked out of many of the titles I was looking for -so I only used three out of the five coupons on this visit.

Got...
Knocked Up (BR / DVD / Digital copy combo) $4.99
There's Something About Mary $4.99
Galaxy Quest $4.99 (Marked $9.99, but rang up $19.99)

...all of them had to be price overridden by a manager, but at least they gave me the ones that were on sale for $9.99 at $4.99 without question or hassle.

The store near me usually get's shipments on Friday, so I'm hoping there will be more stock this weekend, or I'll just wait for some of next week's new releases (like Dutch). Might just bring back some more stuff for more coupons anyway.
Old 01-12-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Fudge, I never knew that was OOP. I may try to quickly sell mine, before the eager bidders realize it is released on BD.

EDIT: According to Amazon, it was re-released on DVD December 27, 2011 for only $8.99. The BD shows $17.98 MSRP on Amazon, with a pre-order price of $12.99. I love how the artwork says ETHAN RANDALL in big print, yet the credits show Ethan Embry. Yes, I know he changed his name, but seeing as few people know him as Ethan Randall they may have well just credited him that way on the artwork.
Damn, may have to see if I can sell mine quickly, too. I still have a sealed, original copy from the first time it got released.
Old 01-13-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
I picked this up yesterday. The $5 did not come off automatically. They had to do a price reduction manually to $4.99.
Cool, yeah, I got it the first day so they had to manually adjust it, but they had to do that for everything. Too bad it's not automatic now.

I'm actually a little bummed because I got Rise of the Planet of the Apes too, but decided I wanted to return that. Unfortunately, they just took $10 off the entire transaction, so I don't think I'll be able to return it and keep Louie for $5.
Old 01-13-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Went back for my second batch (and got bothered by someone trying to sell Dish or DirectTV in the Blu-ray aisle...) I got, 4.99 each:
Leon: The Professional
Uncle Buck (which I didn't see at first because it wasn't quite in the right place, it should have been before Underworld, but it was actually a little later in the U's)
Galaxy Quest (1 out of the 3 copies had a 9.99 tag on it)
Old 01-13-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up yesterday. The $5 did not come off automatically. They had to do a price reduction manually to $4.99.
Same thing with me today, but they had excuses ready before giving in. Said it was only BD movies and not tv shows/seasons, but I was getting Boardwalk Empire (hilarious that the non BBY exclusive edition was priced at $89.99) at the same time. Then it was because it contained a DVD and I had to get the BD version
Old 01-13-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My BB tried to use the coupon on a $7.99 title today but it wouldn't accept it (he tried). Anyhow, they had American Beauty (no slip) back in stock, Collateral, and When Harry Met Sally all $4.99 each.
Old 01-13-12, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn wish I would of saw that before I went in. I bought the last copy and it didn't the take so hopefully I can get the price adjusted tomorrow without any problems.
Old 01-13-12, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by joltman
Went back for my second batch (and got bothered by someone trying to sell Dish or DirectTV in the Blu-ray aisle...)
happens to me all the time almost always by the same guy, last time i just said i live in the dorms and don't have any control over tv before he could get a word in.
Old 01-13-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stopped by a different store today and picked up Collateral and Inside Man (BD+DVD+DC) for $4.99 each. The last one I wanted was Road to Perdition, but can’t seem to find it anywhere.
Old 01-13-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tried to purchase Boardwalk Empire with the Game of Thrones sampler using a $5 coupon, and the system would not accept both the sampler BD and the coupon.

Even though they are both shown in the ad, the fine print in the ad says cannot be combined, so they would not let me have both.
Old 01-13-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by flix1
Tried to purchase Boardwalk Empire with the Game of Thrones sampler using a $5 coupon, and the system would not accept both the sampler BD and the coupon.

Even though they are both shown in the ad, the fine print in the ad says cannot be combined, so they would not let me have both.
That's weird. I bought both of them a few days ago and it worked just fine with the coupon. The Game of Thrones sampler is irrelevant to the discount so I don't get why their is a conflict.
Old 01-13-12, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Anyone else had luck with the Universal $3 coupon or does it just work on the 100th Anniversary titles listed on the printout?
Old 01-13-12, 04:36 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by flix1

That's ridiculous. Try it again. Buy Boardwalk Empire with the coupon and give them a penny for the Game of Thrones sampler.

You're the only person I read about who had a problem with this purchase.
Old 01-13-12, 04:37 PM

After getting about 30 $9.99 titles for $4.99ea after trade-in, think I'm done for this round as the selections don't necessarily improve even though this goes until almost month's end.

Anyone daring enough to buy 5 Game of Thrones samplers for .01ea. then turn around and try to turn them in for $5 coupons yet? I'm no Best buy fan, but even that's beneath me.
Old 01-13-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by jayceman
After getting about 30 $9.99 titles for $4.99ea after trade-in, think I'm done for this round as the selections don't necessarily improve even though this goes until almost month's end.

Anyone daring enough to buy 5 Game of Thrones samplers for .01ea. then turn around and try to turn them in for $5 coupons yet? I'm no Best buy fan, but even that's beneath me.
I took a stack of BB samplers dvds in the other day and they wouldnt take any of them.
Old 01-13-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I traded three Best Buy promo discs (old ones -- probably 7-8 years old) the other night -- no problem whatsoever.
Old 01-13-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I listed mine a few posts back. What ones did you trade?

My problem I think was that he scanned them, did your guy scan them or just take them?
Old 01-13-12, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by vforvendetta
Anyone else had luck with the Universal $3 coupon or does it just work on the 100th Anniversary titles listed on the printout?
I was able to use one. The cashier looked at the coupon and then took $3 off my order. Had 2 Universal titles on my order: Smokin Aces and Incredible Hulk.
Old 01-13-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jayceman
Someone early in this this thread posted that they did that. They bought 7 of them for a penny each, and traded 6 of them in for the $5 off coupons. I'm impressed by this accomplishment. I don't have balls that big. I did trade in one free sampler disc (FYE's Scream Sampler), but it looked somewhat like a legit title, unlike some promo discs that are blatantly promos. I may still try to do that, if I run out of DVD's to trade. But I have a ton of old DVD's to get rid of. I skipped this promo the last time, due to the severely limited list of eligible titles. But I'm planning on going nuts this time. I've done 12 so far, with many many more to go.
Old 01-13-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duganrm
I was able to use one. The cashier looked at the coupon and then took $3 off my order. Had 2 Universal titles on my order: Smokin Aces and Incredible Hulk.
Wait, did you have to mention to her that these were Universal titles or she just figured it out for herself? Since it should only be able to be used on the 100th anniversary movies that just came out. If so, nice score indeed. I was so tempted to try it on Scarface for to get it for only $7. Would say this was a definite YMMV.
Old 01-13-12, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Wait, did you have to mention to her that these were Universal titles or she just figured it out for herself? Since it should only be able to be used on the 100th anniversary movies that just came out. If so, nice score indeed. I was so tempted to try it on Scarface for to get it for only $7. Would say this was a definite YMMV.
I asked if I could use this coupon as well since Incredible Hulk was a Universal title. She looked the coupon over and then punched it in.

I actually didn't know it was specific to 100th anniversary titles when I took it in. I barely saw it pop up on a different board just before I left to best buy.
Old 01-13-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Someone early in this this thread posted that they did that. They bought 7 of them for a penny each, and traded 6 of them in for the $5 off coupons. I'm impressed by this accomplishment. I don't have balls that big. I did trade in one free sampler disc (FYE's Scream Sampler), but it looked somewhat like a legit title, unlike some promo discs that are blatantly promos. I may still try to do that, if I run out of DVD's to trade. But I have a ton of old DVD's to get rid of. I skipped this promo the last time, due to the severely limited list of eligible titles. But I'm planning on going nuts this time. I've done 12 so far, with many many more to go.
I went in today with 10 more regular DVDs. This time the front person stuck green recycle stickers on them. I told her yesterday I took a bunch in that were promos and were not accepted at the desk.
The ones from yesterday didn't get green stickers but the little orange ones so that may have been the reason why mine weren't accepted, possibly.

Last edited by whotony; 01-13-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 08:32 PM

In two trips the haul so far is (minus $5 coupon):
Scarface (SteelBook) - 9.99
The Crow - 4.99
Rise of POA - 12.99
Spiderman - 4.99 (manager manually upped price back to 9.99)
Wyatt Earp - 4.99 (manager to the rescue again)
Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 4.99
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - 4.99
The Bridge on the River Kwai - 9.99

Managed to trade in one Blockbuster disc with PVD inked across it.
Old 01-14-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
I listed mine a few posts back. What ones did you trade?

My problem I think was that he scanned them, did your guy scan them or just take them?

I traded "The Simple Life 2" (which was still shrink-wrapped), a "Coming Attractions" kind of thing (featuring Ang Lee's "Hulk" on the cover), and ... can't recall off-hand what the third one was ...

The lady who helped me didn't scan them, just took them. I'd come in with five discs (the three promo discs plus two movies) to begin with and she offered to keep them at the Customer Service desk while my girlfriend and I browsed. When we came back with only four Blu-rays to buy, she let me pick which one of my discs I wanted back (one of the movies), then rung up my purchase without any trouble at all.
Old 01-14-12, 01:17 PM

Went in to the local Best Buy Wednesday night with five movies and was told to go to Customer Service, who told me to pick out the movies I wanted to purchase and come back up. I ended up only finding three I wanted--Our Idiot Brother, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Raging Bull--so I asked the guy if he could just give me coupons for the other two, which he gladly did. He didn't even glance at the DVDs I was trading in, just counted them and that was it. Everything went smoothly and rang up correctly. Probably one of the most painless experiences I ever had at Best Buy. And I'm finally rid of my copies of Lost in Space and Stargate that I got all of those years ago when I first purchased a DVD player. I just wish they had a copy of Road to Perdition, which seems to not be available at any Best Buy. Definitely using a coupon to pick up 50/50 when it comes out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.