re: International Blu-ray deals

how long does it take for a package to reach SoCal ? anyone ? thanks in advance
Old 12-20-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
how long does it take for a package to reach SoCal ? anyone ? thanks in advance
My last order took 18 days to arrive after shipment. I also currently have another order in transit that is going on 8 days and counting.
Old 12-20-12, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

My credit card was charged $20.12 for the Warner Hitchcock set. Under $7 a film.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-20-12 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-20-12, 03:02 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy is 8.00.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B004KKXMSI

1 of: Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy [Blu-ray][Region Free][Blu-ray]
By: Richard Attenborough, et al
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

1 of: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray] [1931][Region Free][Blu-ray]
By: Boris Karloff, et al

1 of: Back to the Future Trilogy [Blu-ray][Region Free][Blu-ray]
By: Michael J. Fox, et al

Prices after removal of VAT but before shipping charge.

Movie only version of Laurence of Arabia is also down to 8.00 so would be 6.67 after VAT removed plus shipping.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawrence-Ara...5992271&sr=8-1

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-20-12 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-20-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
1 of: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray] [1931][Region Free][Blu-ray]
By: Boris Karloff, et al
Didn't realize that (before removal of VAT) the Universal Monsters set is 27 GBP compared to the steady 33 GBP it's been at for a little while.

Backordered 1-3 weeks
Old 12-20-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up few blu-ray box set today.
1. The Sylvester Stallone Collection
2. fast & furious 1-5
3. Universal Classic Monsters
4. The complete Superman Collection
5. Jurassic Park Ultimate
6. Lethal Weapon
=====================
Total Under $81 Shipped = $106 US + Fees = $110 in US Dollars (Not bad DEAL)
Old 12-21-12, 01:48 PM
Cool New Member

Nice, every time I check my cart the prices are changing up.

Good place to check before ordering anything. uk.camelcamelcamel.com
Old 12-24-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just had my first bad Amazon UK order.

I ordered the Basket Case trilogy last week. Today I get a giant box in the mail. I open it up and inside there's a giftwrapped box with a note for someone named Michelle in England. For some reason I opened it up, still hoping my Basket Case movies would be in there just with a note on there accidentally, but nope, a hair dryer complete with weird British plug.

So now he told me just to keep the hair dryer, which is great since I'm bald and don't have the right kind of outlet to plug the thing into anyway. I asked if another blu-ray set would be shipped out, and if my delivery estimate would be updated on my order and he said "your item is to be delivered in a few days." So I think I'm screwed here because I'm pretty sure she got my item in her box and I got hers in mine. Seems like the labels just got switched since my label says my name and my customs form says "DVD Item" So I think this guy thinks it's still on the way and will be here in a few days, while I'm pretty sure it's at Michelle in England's house.

What do I do here, try and contact another Amazon person?

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 12-24-12 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I tried another guy, same result "Your package is still in transit", but now this guy is making me return the hair dryer. He's sending a label, but still, I have to tape up a box and go to the post office because you guys are idiots?
Old 12-25-12, 12:36 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
So I tried another guy, same result "Your package is still in transit", but now this guy is making me return the hair dryer. He's sending a label, but still, I have to tape up a box and go to the post office because you guys are idiots?
No, they're actually going to pick it up from your house.
Old 12-25-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really? The instructions didn't mention anything about what to do once I've affixed the label. All I see is

Additional Instructions for mailing your package

Print this page and cut out the bar code and pre-paid return mailing label.
Securely package the item to avoid damage during return--if possible, please use the original packaging.
Securely pack the items to be returned in a box and include the separate barcode in the package.
Affix the personalised return mailing label securely to the package, covering up any previous delivery address and barcode without overlapping any adjacent side.
Write your return address in the space provided. Please note that this label is postage paid for your convenience, subject to our Return Policy.

So do I just leave this on my front porch and the mailman will grab it?

As for my problem I contacted a third guy and he was able to understand what I was trying to tell the other guys, so he sent another Basket Case set out to me.
Old 12-25-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, just take it to the post office, and mail it back with the return label. Whatever the cost is, tell them, and they'll refund you. Simple.

I had that as well once, when they sent me someone else's order.
Old 12-25-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, being honest is kind of a pain in the ass. I know it's not hard to go the post office, but mine is very small is usually only has 1 person working. If you go at the wrong time you can spend like 20 minutes in there, which is a long time to wait to fix a mistake someone else made. Plus I have to fill out a customs form, then I have to go back on Amazon and chat with a person again and hope they know what I'm talking about to get a refund. Sorry, I hate to sound like I'm whining here, and it's not a big deal but I've spent like a hour over a few days trying to sort this crap out to mail a 30 hair dryer that isn't mine and has nothing to do with me or anyone even in this country back to England.

I wonder if I bitch at them if I can get a coupon or something out of this at least.

Okay, sorry I'll stop complaining about this in a bargain thread. I don't know if there's a "bitch about Amazon UK" thread, probably should've checked first.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes; 12-25-12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
My last order took 18 days to arrive after shipment. I also currently have another order in transit that is going on 8 days and counting.
In my experience, it depends which country they ship from. It's usually not much more than a week for me if they ship from the UK with Royal mail.

If they ship from Germany (which they are doing more & more) I'm usually looking at 2-4 weeks.
Old 12-26-12, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
In my experience, it depends which country they ship from. It's usually not much more than a week for me if they ship from the UK with Royal mail.

If they ship from Germany (which they are doing more & more) I'm usually looking at 2-4 weeks.
The order that took 18 days did ship from England. However it was with the notoriously slow DHL Global mail. My other order I noted arrived the very next day, or on the eighth day, and it was with Royal mail. The delivery speed also depends on which carrier they use to ship it. I now have a third order coming by Royal, so I will look for it around the 8 day mark this time.
Old 12-26-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still waiting on my hitch set from two weeks ago that was supposed to be here on the 17th. Already received orders that I made after that one. Going to put in for a chat as they told me to get back in touch with them if I don't receive by Christmas. I'm really surprised a company as large as Amazon with all of their country based sites do not require themselves to always ship anywhere with confirmation.
Old 12-27-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Finally ordered the Universal Monsters set. The price was just right.

I believe it came out to 22.50GBP + Postage (~4GBP) after VAT taxes were removed.

Couldn't resist at that price!
Old 12-27-12, 04:07 PM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
Still waiting on my hitch set from two weeks ago that was supposed to be here on the 17th. Already received orders that I made after that one. Going to put in for a chat as they told me to get back in touch with them if I don't receive by Christmas. I'm really surprised a company as large as Amazon with all of their country based sites do not require themselves to always ship anywhere with confirmation.
I have an order that was shipped Dec 3rd. And its yet to reach me. Expected arrival was Dec 17th. I wrote to CS and was asked to wait until Dec 27th and report back upon which they will reprocess the order. But to your point, why do they risk delivery with non traceability ? Or is it that cross border logistics cannot integrate into the system to support tracking ? I don't know but I never give too much grief to Amazon as they will always make an order good. So I will wait out another week
Old 12-27-12, 04:33 PM

The delays are going to be within the international mail systems and Customs units which are massively overloaded at this time of year. Standard International Surface Mail has an official transit time of up to six weeks (although it's usually a lot less) and if there are delays in Customs inspections it can take even longer.

Even when you don't pay for Airmail, international mail often goes by air because it's more efficient to use up the cargo space than to have jets fly half empty. But at this time of year there is mor elikely to be no spare space in which case you stuff might really go by surface, ie by train overland and in a cargo hold of a ship between Europe and the USA.

Over a given size/weight items can't go by the International Small Packet Service and in that case Amazon usually opt to utilise DHL. That's part of Deutsche Poste - the German mail service. That's why a lot of stuff appears to originate in Germany. But sometimes they use Swedish or Belgian Post instead, it depends on who is offering the best bulk deal at the time.

They don't use tracked mail methods unless you pay for them because they're much more expensive. Mail services very rarely lose items - I've had literally hundreds of items from the USA to me in the UK and not one ever got lost - but some got delayed. The most common cause of delays is the Customs inspection. But yes, you can track international mail just like you can domestic mail (though a few countries don;t support it, but between all Western European countries and the USA it is certainly possible). Although it;s expensive.

Customs will also delay stuff if there's an import charge. That's not usually a problem for you in the USA because you can import up to $200 worth of goods without having to pay extra taxes and charges (in the UK, our tax-free allowance is much lower). If the item gets a charge then Customs has to work it out, the mail carrier has to pay it to Customs and then bill you before they'll deliver (although some courier serives liek FedEx will dleivery and then bill you after)

I sent some stuff to a private buyer this year by a fully tracked method - which was expensive - and the longest delay was whilst the package sat in New York's Customs unit! It made it from me here in England to New York in a day, then spent five days there, with another day to final delivery in Los Angeles.

I don;t get the moaning about Amazon above. Amazon deliver probably hundreds of millions of items, so a tiny percentage will be wrong. It's impossible for any system to be 100% error proof. Their Customer Service is excellent and returns are easy and post paid by them. It could be a lot worse and with the smaller outfits it often is.

Amazon never screwed up for me and I think that's true for most people. If they messed up a lot they wouldn;t be the success they are.
Old 12-27-12, 05:47 PM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Amen to the post above. Please don't give Amazon grief over this - the delay is outside of Amazon's control. As it was said above, yes international packages can sometimes be extremely delayed. But the cost benefits we gain from product pricing more than make up for it. Amazon will always make good an order, lets just not abuse that willingness on part of the retailer.
Old 12-27-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an order that was shipped Dec 3rd. And its yet to reach me. Expected arrival was Dec 17th. I wrote to CS and was asked to wait until Dec 27th and report back upon which they will reprocess the order. But to your point, why do they risk delivery with non traceability ? Or is it that cross border logistics cannot integrate into the system to support tracking ? I don't know but I never give too much grief to Amazon as they will always make an order good. So I will wait out another week
Some orders from the UK have it and some don't (those that go through DHL, I believe, while Royal Mail does not). Wondering why that is? I'm still surprised they would risk it - why not use DHL? I had DHL ship to me from Amazon.ca so its not implausible.

And I've already received packages from Amazon UK that I ordered after the Hitch set. I definitely don't get angry over it. Just explain the situation and they always make good (first time i had to do this with Amazon UK but had to a few times with Amazon.com). No complaints except I really wanted it before Christmas to put under the tree for myself.
Old 12-27-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 646 Posts

Everyone realizes that Europe celebrates Christmas too? Their postal systems are even worse than ours this time of year.
Old 12-27-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

amen to the post above. Please don't give amazon grief over this - the delay is outside of amazon's control. As it was said above, yes international packages can sometimes be extremely delayed. But the cost benefits we gain from product pricing more than make up for it. Amazon will always make good an order, lets just not abuse that willingness on part of the retailer.

+1
Old 12-28-12, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by conscience
Some orders from the UK have it and some don't (those that go through DHL, I believe, while Royal Mail does not). Wondering why that is? I'm still surprised they would risk it - why not use DHL? I had DHL ship to me from Amazon.ca so its not implausible.

And I've already received packages from Amazon UK that I ordered after the Hitch set. I definitely don't get angry over it. Just explain the situation and they always make good (first time i had to do this with Amazon UK but had to a few times with Amazon.com). No complaints except I really wanted it before Christmas to put under the tree for myself.
All mail services have tracked options - national mail carriers tracking systems integrate with each other; so if I pay for a tracked method sent by our Royal Mail, the tracking will follow it all through delivery in the USA even though that half of it is handled by the USPS.

Both Royal Mail and USPS sites will recognise the code that's assigned by Royal Mail when I send the item. Royal Mail will fully track it within the UK and then mark it as "handed to foreign carrier for delivery" when it enters the USA. Then you just go to the USPS site and they will track it fully within the USA to from entry to delivery point.

Courier services, being international, all fall under one corporate umbrella so the tracking is complete all in one place.

Amazon won't utilise a tracked service unless you pay for it - that means a service that is faster than standard airmail or international expedited. However, this said, sometimes they will upgrade to a tracked service even when you didn;t pay for it, if the item is valuable. Some "tracked" services are rubbish though and don't really track at all, they just have an assigned despatch code that only knows the item has left Amazon's warehouse and no more.

Like I said, Amazon often use DHL for items that exceed the International Small Packet Service (used by national mail carriers for international parcel post) limits because they're cheaper. DHL is actually part of Deutsche Poste, the German mail service.

Thing is, you see, is that lots of national mail services in Europe are partly or wholly privatised. They aren;t really national mail services, they are private companies although usually they have government-imposed rules and restrictions (for example, the UK's Royal Mail must, by law, continue to offer a standard fixed price stamp to post a letter from anywhere in the UK to anywhere in the UK - they aren't allowed to surcharge for difficult to reach places like Scottish islands. They also have to do a daily delivery, whereas a truly private company might only do deliveries when it has enough mail to justify sending out the vans).

And lots of them compete for the lucrative international mail markets.

Amazon often use the lowest bidder at any given moment. It's often DHL but not always. I've had stuff from Amazon USA that's been handled by Swedish Post and Belgian Post.

Confusingly, they only handle the international bit. The package itself is often transported with the USA by USPS and delivered to final destination here in the UK by Royal Mail.

Standard International mail can get handled by several services on it's way from one place to another.

I'm sure that's made it all clear LOL
Old 12-28-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I misread your post, and coulda sworn you said it was transported by NASA. Wouldn't that be cool!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.