Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

So so glad I made that detour in Chicago and got a refund and a partial order fill.
Old 08-04-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I'd get the feds involved and contact them and see if there's still a case to be made.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-04-12 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-04-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Can't remember if it was mentioned but has anyone actually met Couch Cutter? Is he really who he says he is? I like how he's now talking about his new website.

Again, so glad I never made an order.
Old 08-04-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I think Couch Cutter is the wife having the baby. This whole thing smells bad. No person would be giving these guys a fair shake and being so nice after this latest incident. I wouldn't trust David, either. Sounds like whoever this guy is, he was also successfully postponing refunds as long as possible.
Old 08-04-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think Couch Cutter is the wife having the baby.
That makes the most sense. That or Couch Cutter is Demetrios.

Original owner completely mucks up any business he had. The millionaire from Gilligan's Island shows up and says, "Hey, this guy completely messed up his business. It sounds like a good investment. Let me talk to him to find out how bad it really is. Oh, he says it's not that bad and that I should bail him out financially. Sounds good to me."

....announcement is made....

"What? You mean there's these huge problems that I could have discovered if I did an internet search and held back on throwing out thousands of dollars? Don't worry guys. I'm going to save the day by August 1st."

....cut to August 1....

"Hey guys, bad news. Demetrios has completely disappeared and I do believe that he was running the business in a poor fashion which, even as a business partner, had no idea he was doing. Even though I claim he didn't mean to do any of this on purpose, I'll make a claim that he was cooking the books. I watch TV law shows, so I'm pretty smart like that. So basically, he didn't have the time to take care of anything because of other engagements but I'll make a claim that he was doing fraudulent accounting. As we've seen previously, this is a man that is fully capable of doing such a thing."

"I am done with this and anyone that didn't get money is still screwed because I'm not really Demetrios and I'm bailing out just like him but I really appreciate the faith you had in me. By the way, I'm opening a new web site doing the same thing that Demetrios was doing. Really guys, I didn't plan on creating a competing business against myself at HME. I was just working on a website a couple weeks ago and look at that, it's a new store run under my name and not HME. What a coincidence! Remember how I tried to help you guys out and failed? Why don't you try and pay me back by going to this new store."

"By the way, you'll still find Demetrios selling stuff at conventions, since they don't care about people that commit fraud as long as they pay for a booth. What you won't find is me at any of these places. Some people might say I look like Demetrios's twin brother."
Old 08-04-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Heres one place to file complaints.If I find other I will update post.

http://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-...le-il-88435969
Old 08-05-12, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
"Remember how I tried to help you guys out and failed? Why don't you try and pay me back by going to this new store."

"By the way, you'll still find Demetrios selling stuff at conventions, since they don't care about people that commit fraud as long as they pay for a booth. What you won't find is me at any of these places. Some people might say I look like Demetrios's twin brother."
Old 08-05-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

That makes the most sense. That or Couch Cutter is Demetrios.

Original owner completely mucks up any business he had. The millionaire from Gilligan's Island shows up and says, "Hey, this guy completely messed up his business. It sounds like a good investment. Let me talk to him to find out how bad it really is. Oh, he says it's not that bad and that I should bail him out financially. Sounds good to me."

....announcement is made....

"What? You mean there's these huge problems that I could have discovered if I did an internet search and held back on throwing out thousands of dollars? Don't worry guys. I'm going to save the day by August 1st."

....cut to August 1....

"Hey guys, bad news. Demetrios has completely disappeared and I do believe that he was running the business in a poor fashion which, even as a business partner, had no idea he was doing. Even though I claim he didn't mean to do any of this on purpose, I'll make a claim that he was cooking the books. I watch TV law shows, so I'm pretty smart like that. So basically, he didn't have the time to take care of anything because of other engagements but I'll make a claim that he was doing fraudulent accounting. As we've seen previously, this is a man that is fully capable of doing such a thing."

"I am done with this and anyone that didn't get money is still screwed because I'm not really Demetrios and I'm bailing out just like him but I really appreciate the faith you had in me. By the way, I'm opening a new web site doing the same thing that Demetrios was doing. Really guys, I didn't plan on creating a competing business against myself at HME. I was just working on a website a couple weeks ago and look at that, it's a new store run under my name and not HME. What a coincidence! Remember how I tried to help you guys out and failed? Why don't you try and pay me back by going to this new store."

In fairness, it doesn't look like Couch Cutter's website (which he says isn't really a new website, just a redesigned one) is a store at all. Yes, I found the plugging of his updated site odd as well, but it's not a store.
Old 08-05-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
In fairness, it doesn't look like Couch Cutter's website (which he says isn't really a new website, just a redesigned one) is a store at all. Yes, I found the plugging of his updated site odd as well, but it's not a store.
Then he's made a fool of me. It just sounded like a plug for a store.

I used my AMEX card for my payment back in December, reported the issue around March and I got my money back in a week or so. That's kind of why I was questioning people so early on saying that paypal is the best way to pay if there's a problem. Paypal isn't a bank and isn't regulated, so that's pretty much the worst way to go, other than cash.
Old 08-06-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

^ but he still has your CC info.. yikes! I paid with Paypal and requested a refund after 3 and a half weeks; went with my gut instinct even though the consensus on the guy was that he was slow but reliable.
Old 08-06-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
^ but he still has your CC info.. yikes!
I'm as worried about that as I am about every other place I buy from. Also, it's the merchant account that has the card number. He doesn't get it in an email or anything.

It's also not like credit cards don't offer protection when it's used unauthorized.
Old 08-07-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I found out about the ridiculous PayPal dispute window of 45 days I immediately wrote HME about switching my order from Paypal to a credit card. He responded and said it was ok, but he wound up sending my two titles within thirty days so I didn't have to change it.

I wasn't going to gamble on Paypal and since then I only use it sparingly whereas I used to use it all the time, wrongly figuring it was my best protection when buying online Thanks to the people who posted here about that 45 day limit. I had no idea.
Old 08-11-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let it go.
Old 08-20-12, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new e-mail was sent out:

Just an update

FOR NEW PURCHASES, PLEASE GO TO OUR NEW STORE LANDING PAGE www horrormovieempire com

TO CHECK ON PREVIOUS ORDERS, LOGIN TO THE ORIGINAL PAGE THAT YOU CREATED YOUR ORDER ON. THANK YOU!!

***NOTE: WE WILL NOT BE TRANSFERING OVER ACCOUNTS TO THE NEW SITE AS WE NOW REQUIRE A USERNAME TO LEAVE REVIEWS/COMMENTS. THE OLD SITE WILL STAY UP UNTIL EVERYONE HAS HAD THEIR ORDERS SHIPPED.

BLUE UNDERGROUND SALE UPDATES: YES, THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE WAITING ON ITEMS FROM CHRISTMAS OF LAST YEAR...WE ARE STILL WORKING ON GETTING THEM OUT. IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN DIRECTLY E-MAILED WITH A TRACKING NUMBER YET THEN YOUR ORDER HAS NOT SHIPPED YET. FOR MOST PEOPLE WE DON'T KNOW SPECIFICALLY WHEN THE ORDER WILL GO OUT BUT WE GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE WHAT YOU ORDERED OR REFUNDED (DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCE).

THANK YOU!!!

Hmmm...I've been stupid enough to keep waiting so far, might as well keep on.
Old 08-21-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lepus
Hmmm...I've been stupid enough to keep waiting so far, might as well keep on.
If you've waited this long and haven't done a dispute, it's not like you can do anything else but wait and never get anything.
Old 08-21-12, 11:46 AM

I bumped into Demetrios this past saturday in Wheaton, IL. He's fairly sure that he will be caught up soon. I've known him for quite some time, and plain and simple, he got in over his head. Im not defending him, but I can say from time to time people have great ideas that turn out to become a huge mess. I offered to help him myself, so time will tell.
Old 08-21-12, 06:20 PM

Just when I think this is over, they drag me back in.
Old 08-21-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

"FOR NEW PURCHASES, PLEASE GO TO OUR NEW STORE LANDING PAGE www horrormovieempire com"

New purchases? Good lord I hope no one is dumb enough to give this guy their money after this.
Old 08-22-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bmvtoys
I bumped into Demetrios this past saturday in Wheaton, IL. He's fairly sure that he will be caught up soon. I've known him for quite some time, and plain and simple, he got in over his head. Im not defending him, but I can say from time to time people have great ideas that turn out to become a huge mess. I offered to help him myself, so time will tell.
Will I'm glad you are not defending him and offer to help him out.
I have no doubt that I will get the rest of my films.
Should send everyone that has waited almost 9 months now some extra films for all the shit we have had to go through with this guy and HME.Sorry isn't going to cut it.

So what is Demetrios like?Does he party hard,or just a natural moron?

Also soon means sometime within the next year or so.
Old 08-22-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's fairly sure that he will be caught up soon.
No offense but you should have your head examined and have the reality check microchip installed. There's still tons of orders not filled and he has no money. If he was getting things done, people would say "I just got a refund" or "I just got my order".
Old 09-02-12, 12:32 PM

I just got the two items I had ordered last December, Zombie and Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. There was a shipping notice with UPS tracking number form HME, then two or three days later they arrived, drop-shipped from Amazon.
Old 09-26-12, 11:30 AM

Just received a refund from HME for the Zombi blu-ray I had ordered. When he originally sent out emails asking us what we wanted, I request the disc to be shipped. But I am at least glad that this whole ordeal is over with. It had been a long time since I received any communication from him, so I was very surprised to get this email. Maybe there is still an ounce of hope for those of you that have not received anything yet.

Last edited by crs1247; 09-26-12 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-26-12, 06:29 PM

No offense but you should have your head examined and have the reality check microchip installed. There's still tons of orders not filled and he has no money. If he was getting things done, people would say "I just got a refund" or "I just got my order".
No offense but DVD talk does not happen to be the place where everyone on the planet that didnt get orders posts the results. The guy is at many major shows, if you are at one of them talk to him. Personally, it takes a lot just to keep trying to go on. Most places would have told everyone "too bad" or "that's that", at least he's TRYING to fix his mess up. I'm sure he's not the first person to get in over his head, and i'm sure he's not the last.

If he was so disrespectful nobody would come to his defense.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-26-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

I thought that you stated that you weren't defending him?
Old 09-27-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No offense but DVD talk does not happen to be the place where everyone on the planet that didnt get orders posts the results.
Yes I know. It's the same story at all the other places too. He tells people their order will ship soon and it doesn't. He tells everyone he's working on fixing things. That was 10 months ago. Not sure where you're going with that logic.

I remember 10 months ago when he first told me my order was going out by the end of the week.

I remember a few weeks after that when he told me my order was going out by the end of the week.

I remember 9 months ago when he told me my order was going out by the end of the week.

I remember when he said that if you had an order that didn't go out by some convention, that you would get a full refund and the movies and you also didn't have to just show up at the convention for it to happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.