Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Hello.

sorry for my bad english, but i've buy some bluray with this operation and at this time, i don't received my order..the facebook page is done... and not any reply at my many mails !!!! what's happen with this operation ??? a great thief ? or a great operation with a lot of late ??? but why the situation is not clear ??? pfff... very sad.
i don't know why, but i think i'll never see my order....

Last edited by thetrooper23; 02-11-12 at 03:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-11-12, 12:36 PM

From his Twitter feed: "Yes the Facebook page is temporarily offline, no its not to 'hide'. Again, we aren't scamming anybody. Slow as fuck yes, disorganized sure."
Old 02-11-12, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by efordvt
From his Twitter feed: "Yes the Facebook page is temporarily offline, no its not to 'hide'. Again, we aren't scamming anybody. Slow as fuck yes, disorganized sure."
You don't do something like take down your Facebook page unless you have something to hide. Clearly, he's trying to whitewash away the bad PR.
Old 02-11-12, 06:17 PM

Does anyone know what you need to do to file a claim with Small Claims Court?

I live in the same state (Illinois) and same general area (Chicago ‘burbs) as his store (his PO Box is in Lisle, IL) so it should be relatively easy for me to file a claim, but I have no idea where to even begin. The only complication is we do appear to be in two different counties. His business address is in DuPage County and I live in Cook County.

Do I need to file the claim in my home county or his businesses home county? Who do I file the claim with? Etc, Etc. Any and all help/information is appreciated!

My order is over 6 weeks old. He claims he will have my order out within a week, but he also seems to claiming the same with everyone else, and most people have orders even older than mine.

At first I was willing to be patient, since he is slowly filling orders, but he also seems on the verge of going out of business: the disappearance of his Facebook page and then the way he issued a refund on clckworang’s order for two movies that to the best of my knowledge are NOT out of print has me wondering if he was cut off from his distributor.
Old 02-11-12, 07:00 PM

My PayPal claim came through and I was fully refunded. I wish I could have just had what I ordered, but whatever, it's over for now.
Old 02-11-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner666

I live in the same state (Illinois) and same general area (Chicago ‘burbs) as his store (his PO Box is in Lisle, IL) so it should be relatively easy for me to file a claim, but I have no idea where to even begin. The only complication is we do appear to be in two different counties. His business address is in DuPage County and I live in Cook County.

Do I need to file the claim in my home county or his businesses home county? Who do I file the claim with? Etc, Etc. Any and all help/information is appreciated!

My order is over 6 weeks old. He claims he will have my order out within a week, but he also seems to claiming the same with everyone else, and most people have orders even older than mine.

At first I was willing to be patient, since he is slowly filling orders, but he also seems on the verge of going out of business: the disappearance of his Facebook page and then the way he issued a refund on clckworang’s order for two movies that to the best of my knowledge are NOT out of print has me wondering if he was cut off from his distributor.
Same state is fine. Doesn't matter if it's different counties. Go to your local courthouse and talk to the clerk. It might be possible they set it up so you can file online, so you can research that option.

I was told my order would be out the first and third week of January and also by yesterday as well, so I wouldn't plan on your order going out.
Old 02-11-12, 09:01 PM

How did you pay for your order? Credit card or PayPal? Wouldn't it be easier to seek a refund through your credit card or PayPal as others have already done?

Old 02-11-12, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg
How did you pay for your order? Credit card or PayPal? Wouldn't it be easier to seek a refund through your credit card or PayPal as others have already done?
I paid with a credit card, which he ran within 24 hours after receiving my order, but yet he has not shipped an order which is over 6 weeks old. Right now I guess I am just "thinking out loud" - hopefully I won't need to go as far as Small Claims Court. I haven’t requested a refund yet; mainly because I actually want my order. I just want to know what my rights are in case the “you know what” hits the fan.

This whole scenario is extremely frustrating: there is the part of me that wants to support a small independent company that actually seems to be a fan of the genre, but then there is the other part of me that is getting more and more worried about getting ripped off, scammed, whatever.

I really wanted to give this guy my full support, but now I am just plain worried.

What has me the most upset is that before I placed my order he responded to all my inquiries within 24 hours, but after I actually placed my order I now have to wait 2 weeks for a response, and then it is a super-vague “wait another week or so” response.

When he wanted my money it was as if I was the most important person in the world, but once he had my money it was as if I was the least important person in the world.
Old 02-11-12, 10:26 PM

Going to your credit card company is a better bet, I think, than small claims court in terms of decisive action in your favor.

I posted this to someone else on the Blu-ray forum:

Getting your money back would seem to be the most sensible thing to do. The proverbial writing is on the wall. This guy can't get the product he promised and his ship is going down. At this point, why "reward" him by waiting longer for him. Everything he has said until now has been BS, his customer "service" has been abysmal, and he was cavalier and obnoxious when people rightfully asked him where their orders were earlier on. At this point, I don't think I'd even want the product from him if he had it because that would be validating his conduct during this sale. He deserves to lose his shirt on this sale and then some. Got my refund and now I hope his business dies a painful death.
I paid with a credit card, which he ran within 24 hours after receiving my order, but yet he has not shipped an order which is over 6 weeks old. Right now I guess I am just "thinking out loud" - hopefully I won't need to go as far as Small Claims Court. I haven’t requested a refund yet; mainly because I actually want my order. I just want to know what my rights are in case the “you know what” hits the fan.

This whole scenario is extremely frustrating: there is the part of me that wants to support a small independent company that actually seems to be a fan of the genre, but then there is the other part of me that is getting more and more worried about getting ripped off, scammed, whatever.

I really wanted to give this guy my full support, but now I am just plain worried.

What has me the most upset is that before I placed my order he responded to all my inquiries within 24 hours, but after I actually placed my order I now have to wait 2 weeks for a response, and then it is a super-vague “wait another week or so” response.

When he wanted my money it was as if I was the most important person in the world, but once he had my money it was as if I was the least important person in the world.
Old 02-12-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to your credit card company is a better bet, I think, than small claims court in terms of decisive action in your favor.
It'd be easier to do a chargeback through the credit card company but if he did small claims and won, which he couldn't possibly lose, he'd then be able to put a lien on the guys assets. If he found the bank he used, then he'd be able to get that account frozen until he paid.

Considering the guy has a bunch of assets, possibly that house he was planning on buying last month, it'd be a pretty big wake up call. Not to mention, the legal action isn't going to look good on his credit report, especially if he's trying to get new credit for his new film company.

So it's a question of short and sweet or longer but also having a longer lasting impact.

Just think how much of these conversations could have been not needed if he just came out and posted what the status really was. On one hand I don't really think he's a scammer but on the other hand, why the need to not tell people what's going on and just delaying things. It feels like he did something with the money that wouldn't look good if people knew.

I don't even get why people at the blu-ray forum keep posting things the guy says to them. It's as much BS as the crap he says in emails. It just makes the poster look bad for passing obvious BS for the guy.
Old 02-12-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filed a case in small claims once in Los Angeles and was invited to have the case heard on the JUDGE MATHIS TV show in Chicago (is that what it's called, I've never seen it). It was a serious case and not a circus so I never responded, but if anyone wants a chance of being on television, maybe this is your opportunity. I'm sure the dude at HorrorMovieEmpire would love it.
Old 02-12-12, 04:32 PM

finally got my money back (ordered on Dec 19). I would rather of had the DVDs, but they never responded to my emails. Glad this is over though.
Old 02-12-12, 04:48 PM

Received 5 of 6, everything but the final countdown bluray

Sounds like I did much better than the rest
Old 02-12-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kbarkerok
Received 5 of 6, everything but the final countdown bluray

Sounds like I did much better than the rest
Yeah, I'd say you did better than about 99% of the suckers (like me) who drank the Demetrios Kool-Aid.
Old 02-12-12, 06:06 PM

The whole thing is I want my stuff. Horror Movie Empire actually does seem to giving refunds to those requesting them, I don't want a refund - I want my stuff. If I request a refund from HME, or report him to my Credit Card company that will get my money back, but it won't get me the movies I ordered. The only reason I was even thinking about Small Claims is that I don't want a refund, I just want the movies I ordered at the price that was advertised.
Old 02-12-12, 06:11 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole thing is I want my stuff. Horror Movie Empire actually does seem to giving refunds to those requesting them, I don't want a refund - I want my stuff. If I request a refund from HME, or report him to my Credit Card company that will get my money back, but it won't get me the movies I ordered. The only reason I was even thinking about Small Claims is that I don't want a refund, I just want the movies I ordered at the price that was advertised.
wow. just get your money back, small claims will only get you your money back, they're not going to make him give you blu-rays, plus the money you'd spend and time on this is insane when you could just buy them elsewhere.

i got my refund today. (after waiting for paypal to investigate)

i think to get this fucking dickhead back EVERYONE should file a claim, this dumbass is a terrible businessman, I'm sure he has no record of whose order shipped or not, well deserved for this guy to get screwed since he has screwed hundreds.

Last edited by bse; 02-12-12 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The public behavior on Facebook and elsewhere eliminated any benefit of the doubt about HME weeks ago. Some credit cards have a limit of two months from the date of ordering for a chargeback. The people waiting out orders at this point are not making a prudent decision for the small benefit of cheap horror BDs. It's too much of a gamble hoping you get lucky and have your order partially filled.

Going off that poll on another forum, very few people have received much of anything from the Blue Underground sale as of this date.
Old 02-12-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Sounds like this guy decided to run away with a wad of cash. Kind of doubt he was cut off from a distributor. He looked at how many orders he got, and said, "Fuck this. I'm outta here!"
Old 02-12-12, 10:37 PM

Again, as countless others have stated here, and Demetrios has demonstrated through his ridiculous behavior, it's a fool's game to expect to receive any product and / or a full order from this fraud. This guy has been so abominable to his customers, he does not deserve the business you are giving him by waiting for product. He does, however, deserve all the bad credit, formal complaints & violations, and, hopefully, closure of his business that would appear to be coming his way.

Old 02-13-12, 05:47 AM

pfff... and my paypal limit date for acclaim is passed....
i don't think the facebook page will be back (not any word on the main page of his site about the late etc....) twitter...-->...... i hope this words will be true...

Last edited by thetrooper23; 02-13-12 at 05:55 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-13-12, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bse
wow. just get your money back, small claims will only get you your money back, they're not going to make him give you blu-rays, plus the money you'd spend and time on this is insane when you could just buy them elsewhere.
I was just wondering what my options are. I was under the impression that Small Claims fees were nominal ... I thought that was the whole point of Small Claims. If requesting a refund is my best and only option then I guess that's what I’ll do.

The reason I was hoping to actually have my order fulfilled as opposed to a refund is that if I buy the movies I ordered elsewhere I will only get around half of the movies for the prices that he offered. The whole reason I took advantage of his sale prices is that money is extremely tight for me right now.
Old 02-13-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wondering what my options are. I was under the impression that Small Claims fees were nominal ... I thought that was the whole point of Small Claims. If requesting a refund is my best and only option then I guess that's what I’ll do.

The reason I was hoping to actually have my order fulfilled as opposed to a refund is that if I buy the movies I ordered elsewhere I will only get around half of the movies for the prices that he offered. The whole reason I took advantage of his sale prices is that money is extremely tight for me right now.

I wouldn't request a refund from him at this point. I'd go straight to paypal or your credit card company and file a dispute.
Old 02-13-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beaner, if you really want the items and not a refund, write to him either at the address for inquiries or using the contact form on his site and explain that you want to support his business, but your patience is wearing thin. Tell him you will not file any disputes if he just sends out the items immediately. Don't be angry, be calm and write him in a professional manner and be as nice as your wounded pride will allow. Sometimes in life it truly is easier to attract flies with honey than it is with vinegar.

Personally, I think you should just get your money back any way possible and forget this entire debacle, but if you are determined to get the Blus, then you will have to play this with some cool and make an appeal to the guy that will seem like you are going to be a steady customer. Strike a bargain with him that will not so adversely affect your self-respect. Once you get your stuff you can say anything you want about him and his alleged business.

But once again, is it really worth all this just to get Blu Rays? Settle for a refund, dude!
Old 02-13-12, 12:26 PM

Sounds like a good deal. I need to up my bluray collection more.
Old 02-13-12, 01:12 PM

The whole reason I took advantage of his sale prices is that money is extremely tight for me right now.
Same with everyone else here. This has turned into a classic case of "too good to be true." Most have accepted that and are damn glad just to have their money back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.