Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Mention should also be made of the apparently arbitrary window of opportunity for filing a claim with Paypal. Why only 45 days? I had no idea it was that limited and like Jon I will also be very hesitant to use Paypal as a method of payment ever again. You would think they would want to compete with credit card companies and offer similar guarantees for using their service.
Old 01-31-12, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ordered on Dec 19th,

I'm disappointed, really wanted the dvds I ordered. I don't mind waiting, but he's completely uncommunicative. I have no idea what the status of my order is - shit, I wouldn't even mind waiting some more if I knew I was getting the dvds. So, I filed a claim through paypal.

I dont know how paypal disputes work, but they're not giving me the option of contacting the seller through paypal. Usually, you try to contact the seller then you have the option of escalating the claim. But, when I filed the claim, it said that the 'seller is unavailable for contact,' and it went straight to an 'escalated claim.'
Old 01-31-12, 01:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are there any verified reports of anyone getting a PayPal refund who had requested a cancellation from HME directly? --Peter
Old 01-31-12, 01:22 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Mention should also be made of the apparently arbitrary window of opportunity for filing a claim with Paypal. Why only 45 days? I had no idea it was that limited and like Jon I will also be very hesitant to use Paypal as a method of payment ever again. You would think they would want to compete with credit card companies and offer similar guarantees for using their service.
Because the majority of things you buy using paypal are meant to be in stock when you buy them, I've never waited 45 days for an item, can't blame paypal for this dickhead being a terrible businessman.
Old 01-31-12, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by bse
Because the majority of things you buy using paypal are meant to be in stock when you buy them, I've never waited 45 days for an item, can't blame paypal for this dickhead being a terrible businessman.
Yes, and, of course, everything I (we?) ordered was indicated as "in stock." I was given no reason to believe these orders would be held up for 40+ days and counting. I'm kicking myself for not using a credit card.
Old 01-31-12, 04:37 PM

In a poll at bluray.com, over 70% have nothing yet.
Old 01-31-12, 10:42 PM

I ordered Maniac 30th Anniversary on December 21st.

I sent a note to the 'orderinquiry' email on Jan 19 and indicated if he couldn't ship the disc, please refund my Paypal account. I received the auto response that my email would be addressed within 4 days.

I received a response on Jan 28 that the order shipped and I'd receive a shipping confirmation shortly. He also promised the order would arrive by Wednesday.

I'm happy to report I received the shipping confirmation w/ tracking on Monday, and the disc actually arrived Monday night.

My wife had to sign for the package, which was shipped from Amazon ($15.xx). I know this is not a sustainable business model, but I give him credit for doing his best to fill orders.
Old 01-31-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbrady
in a poll at bluray.com, over 70% have nothing yet.
75%
Old 02-01-12, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Are there any verified reports of anyone getting a PayPal refund who had requested a cancellation from HME directly? --Peter
Someone on Facebook mentioned PayPal had finally refunded them after HME failed to respond to their claim. I put my claim in two days after this person, so hopefully my outcome will be as postive.

Last edited by joe_b; 02-01-12 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-01-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got notice from HME that my orders were being refunded. Haven't seen it show up on my CC statement yet but hopefully it means my ordeal is almost over.
Old 02-01-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hardly blaming Paypal, just making a general observation, albeit critical, that their dispute window is too short. It may be adequate for major merchants, but it's ridiculously limited for purchases from individuals on eBay and small time operations that are not verifiably established. Plenty of items I have bought from eBay have taken more than 45 days to arrive.

Had I known of this restriction, I never would have used Paypal with this guy. From now on if there is an alternate form of payment offered, I will skip Paypal altogether.
Old 02-01-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

^ I think the window is especially short when you consider all the international transactions on eBay. I had a situation where a package was sent out from the UK, and the package just never arrived. The seller and I communicated; I wanted to give ample time in case it was going to be delivered. Next thing you know, the Paypal deadline had passed, and I couldn't file a claim. Luckily, the seller was nice enough to still issue me a refund, but as long as it can sometimes take to receive international packages, I don't think 45 days covers it.
Old 02-01-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received a response today to my order inquiry of several days ago. Asked about the 7 BU BDs I ordered on 12/19 (none of which I've received) and was told "Hoping to have a lot of it out within the next week or so."
Even if the guy is sincere, I've never seen a mess quite this badly managed.
Old 02-01-12, 02:29 PM

According to PayPal, this freak isn't responding to their inquiry. This guy will go down in flames! He can't possibly fill orders if he can't even get product from BU or their distributor. He'll have to pay retail prices to fill only a small percentage of orders. He will be out of business within the month.
Old 02-01-12, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mormovies
According to PayPal, this freak isn't responding to their inquiry. This guy will go down in flames! He can't possibly fill orders if he can't even get product from BU or their distributor. He'll have to pay retail prices to fill only a small percentage of orders. He will be out of business within the month.
This doesn't bode well for anyone getting their money back. What a nightmare.
Old 02-01-12, 03:14 PM

I filed my claim with PayPal from 12/19.
Old 02-01-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Netflix seemed to be doing a better job of taking something that was running fairly well and then driving it into the ground.
Old 02-01-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Received a response today to my order inquiry of several days ago. Asked about the 7 BU BDs I ordered on 12/19 (none of which I've received) and was told "Hoping to have a lot of it out within the next week or so."
Yeah, words like "hoping" and "next week or so" shows he has no idea when he'll get stock.

Makes me think back to some old threads where people asked about starting a business selling DVDs and such. I wonder if this guy was one of them.
Old 02-01-12, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I finally got notice from HME that my orders were being refunded. Haven't seen it show up on my CC statement yet but hopefully it means my ordeal is almost over.
You should get it. I got my refund, so it's over for me. Never again..
Old 02-01-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, words like "hoping" and "next week or so" shows he has no idea when he'll get stock.
Or has no idea how much stock he really needs. Or, of course, a little bit of both.
Old 02-01-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Blue underground's got quite a fanbase if there's anything positive I learned from this thread.
Old 02-01-12, 06:28 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junior
I know this is not a sustainable business model, but I give him credit for doing his best to fill orders.
THIS is the problem with people.... you give him credit? he screwed 80% of the people, lied to everyone and took 45+ days to get you a blu-ray whih he ended up just ordering off of Amazon (which he could have done 45 days ago), but you give him credit?
Old 02-01-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Blue underground's got quite a fanbase if there's anything positive I learned from this thread.
I'm willing to bet that base is smaller after they promoted this sale and it resulted in this CF. If you can't get recourse from Paypal I'd look to BU. It was their promotion on social media that gave me and a number of others the confidence to order from an unknown company. And then they have the nerve to delete those posts and blame them on someone with unauthorized access. That's bullshit cover your ass and pathetic. Obviously, I'll never buy from this company again but I also never buy a Blue Underground title.
Old 02-01-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
If you can't get recourse from Paypal I'd look to BU. It was their promotion on social media that gave me and a number of others the confidence to order from an unknown company.
They aren't at all legally liable to you and you'd just be wasting your time trying to get anything from BU.
Old 02-02-12, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since this situation doesn't technically qualify as fraud, VISA says that even those of us who paid by credit card have absolutely no options for getting our money back unless we open a dispute within their 60 day window.
Weirdly enough, I'd still like to give the guy the (increasingly small) benefit of the doubt.... but trusting him to do the right thing after that 60 day window closes just seems ridiculous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.