Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Old 03-04-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Originally Posted by thetrooper23 View Post
always no news on tweeter or in my letter box...
The Emperor has just returned his awesomeness to Twitter with his usual line of BS.
Old 03-05-12, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James View Post
The Emperor has just returned his awesomeness to Twitter with his usual line of BS.
Interesting that he tweeted something to the fact of "see you at HHW in 3 weeks." I'm assuming HHW is short for Horror Hound Weekend. I think that was one of the conventions he was claiming they were kicked out of.
Old 03-06-12, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT WE MUST DOING FOR OBTAIN A LIFE'S SIGN ??????????????
and the real question... WHERE IS MY FUCKING STUFF ??? and MY ANSWERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thetrooper23 View Post
WHAT WE MUST DOING FOR OBTAIN A LIFE'S SIGN ??????????????
and the real question... WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SAY???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fixed
Old 03-06-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fact: ordering from HME could cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Old 03-06-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good lord. I am so glad I didn't take part in this fiasco...
Old 03-06-12, 09:25 PM

Good grief guys. If you have an open order and haven't started a chargeback with Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club, whoever, then you should just expect to never get a disc or your money back. Start a chargeback now to have any hope of getting your money back.
Old 03-07-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

If you have a Diners Club card, you deserve what you get. Get a real card.
Old 03-07-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who placed an order using Paypal and hasn't opened a claim within the 45 day window has zero chance of recovering their losses.
Old 03-07-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want some more trials and tribulations, not advice from the peanut gallery. This was my online soap of the year!
Old 03-07-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm not sure we will ever know the full story of what happened here without the authorities involved. At this point it looks like the sale was a full-blown scam of some undetermined purpose.
Old 03-07-12, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Anyone who placed an order using Paypal and hasn't opened a claim within the 45 day window has zero chance of recovering their losses.
I can attest to that. Missed the window by a couple of days as I wasn't paying attention to the calendar and got refused. Tried to appeal saying that they guy was leading people on and wouldn't respond to his emails and while they agreed that the seller was non-responsive, they stood by the 45 day window. So there must be zero money in his account and PayPal isn't inclined to dig into their own pockets unless forced to by the 45 day policy. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 03-07-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheHypnoToad View Post
I can attest to that. Missed the window by a couple of days as I wasn't paying attention to the calendar and got refused. Tried to appeal saying that they guy was leading people on and wouldn't respond to his emails and while they agreed that the seller was non-responsive, they stood by the 45 day window. So there must be zero money in his account and PayPal isn't inclined to dig into their own pockets unless forced to by the 45 day policy. Oh well, live and learn.
I got my refund, but if I were in your shoes I'd be aggressively A) contacting the authorities about his (in)actions, and B) emailing the schmuck himself every few days to demand my money back.
Old 03-07-12, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gypo66 View Post
I got my refund, but if I were in your shoes I'd be aggressively A) contacting the authorities about his (in)actions, and B) emailing the schmuck himself every few days to demand my money back.
Is he even answering emails? None of the emails that I had sent asking about the status of my order or requesting a refund were ever responded to but then again, I may have one of the older email address's that he's not looking at anymore. Anyone have an email address for him that they've gotten a response from him on lately?
Old 03-07-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, he no longer responds to any emails.
Old 03-08-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Demetrios Siomos (Owner at DKS Entertainment Services) turned up as a LinkedIn suggestion for me.

Old 03-08-12, 10:48 AM

I'm copying my post from blu-ray.com to this thread. There's a guy calling himself Vampyre Jesus who's been defending HME. He claims he is not affiliated with HME, yet many of his statements seem to suggest otherwise. You can be the judge:

Originally Posted by Vampyre Jesus View Post
I am not affiliated with HME. I am not employed by HME. I am not a spokesperson for HME!
The sale caught Demetrios by surprise all of the cheap price hunters from the forums abused the sale. Buying one or two movies is considerate. Most orders appear to be for 10, 15, 20 movies. HME is small a operation and did not expect to have to deliver thousands of movies for nine or ten bucks. Swankley got out if hand with his unwarranted promotion of this sale that was possibly for rewarding loyal customers and getting a few new ones.

I know retail. Young companies build step by step using positive word from satisfied customers. This got out of hand fast. You might have paid for movies, but not for the true cost of the stuff. D. offered you peeps the option to wait or be refunded. Most appear to be happy waiting for this awesome deal.

HME is probably waiting for a good deal from his distributor to get and ship the stuff. This is kinda like a pricing error and HME is honorable to try to fill the orders. HME has refunded many people. Credit card or paypal refunds do funnel through HME. I work in retail and the customer is not always right.
This is my first post here at blu-ray.com (I usually hang out at DVD Talk forums). Where do I even begin???

I work in retail as well as internet sales. About the only statement I can agree is that the customer is NOT always right. HOWEVER, that is not applicable in this instance:

This was advertised as a SALE. A general sale, not just rewarding existing customers. Therefore, the customer is entitled to receive the product at advertised prices.

Within three days (as I recall) of the commencement of the sale, PayPal suspended HME's account due to the increased traffic. At this point, HME had a breather to assess the impact of the sale. HME could easily have ended the sale, fulfilled outstanding orders and promise new sales in the future. Some people would have been disappointed not to have gotten in on the sale, but the publicity generated would have put him on the map for cult/genre releases.

Instead, he continued with the sale for another 10 or more days. Clearly he was in over his head, yet refused to take appropriate actions to minimize the fall-out.

I'm not going to bother with the lack of communication, broken promises, etc. I just want to reply to comments made above by Vampyre Jesus:

Kind of like a pricing error??? Not even close - this was an advertised sale...this isn't even comparing apples to oranges - at least both those items are round! This was not a pricing error; not even remotely like a pricing error.

Buying 1 or 2 movies is considerate??? Again, this was an advertised sale and no limits were placed. I personally put in six different orders, ranging from 1 item up to 14 or 15; across all the orders I think I only requested one duplicate item. Although advertised as a blu-ray sale, many of the items I ordered were regular DVDs. I felt I was being considerate when I ordered multiple items in one order, so HME could save money on shipping since it'd just be one package. Out of the six orders, I received nothing. Just before the 45-day PayPal expiration, I filed my claim and I did get my money back. But think about it - I had six different orders; only 1 duplicate item, and not a single disc shipped out (believe me, some of the DVD's I choose were not 'hot' items).

And let's not forget that the website stated items were in stock at the time of the order; didn't that actually remain the case through the entire sale?

"Credit card or paypal refunds do funnel through HME." How do you know this? An earlier statement from HME made it clear he had at least two bank accounts, and he automatically shifted incoming funds from PayPal to a secondary account that PayPal couldn't touch. From my first-hand experience with my own PayPal refund, and reading about refunds from everyone else who has posted their experience, I do not recall seeing ONE person claiming HME proactively refunded them. All PayPal and credit card refunds appear to have been made good not by HME but by PayPal and the respective credit card companies (who I'm sure will try their best to get their money back from HME). Only HME or an employee of HME could have such knowledge to make such a statement. So the burning question is - which one are you?

"Most appear to be happy waiting for this awesome deal." Again - where are you getting your information? Between this forum and DVD Talk, I'm not aware of ANYONE who is happy waiting at this point.

"You might have paid for movies, but not for the true cost of the stuff." Sounds like you're blaming the customer for HME's problems? The customer isn't paying the true cost, therefore it's actually the customer that is the thief, and HME is the poor persecuted merchant who's doing his best to fulfill orders to all those abusive "cheap price hunters" (your words)

This whole situation is just so ridiculous, it boggles my mind! It just goes to prove that real life is often crazier than anything Fellini or Jodorosky could dream up!

Peter
Old 03-08-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw that prog and agree 100%. It is GALLING that anyone would attempt to try and turn this around on the customers.
Old 03-08-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's everyone else's fault. Ridiculous. He's even turning on the guy who helped advertise the sale, when a couple months ago he was thanking him. A lot of nerve from HME, but I guess that's to be expected at this point.

All the Paypal people should try to do *something* to try to get their money back. Maybe band together in some way. The 44-day window thing is just ridiculous, especially when you're dealing with a situation like this.
Old 03-08-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am planning a trip through Chicago in a few months, anyone have a physical address? If so PM me.
Old 03-09-12, 07:11 AM

Anyone in the Chicagoland area wanna take a ride out to Naperville to pay a certain someone a visit?
Old 03-09-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
All the Paypal people should try to do *something* to try to get their money back. Maybe band together in some way. The 44-day window thing is just ridiculous, especially when you're dealing with a situation like this.
I'd say 45 days was more than enough time to see what was going on. 45 days of "it's being shipped soon" with nothing going out should have been obvious enough.
Old 03-09-12, 11:51 AM

Vampyre Jesus is appropriately named. First, suck the consumer dry and then berate him/her for complaining and not turning the other cheek and forgiving! The number one inexcusable fact is that the low-life never attempted to communicate and keep his customers abreast of what was happening. Customers can be very understanding and patient when the seller communicates on a regular basis. This guy should go down- big time! No considerations, no excuses! Luckily, I got my $$ returned through PayPal.
Old 03-09-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry fellas, the Emperor surfaced on Twitter today and assures that most e-mails will be answered in the next day or two-

https://twitter.com/#!/horrorempire
Old 03-09-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. It's simply mild-boggling that someone can take thousands of dollars from hundreds of people, ship out almost nothing for two months, then literally nothing for one month, simultaneously either ignoring hundreds of emails or responding with generic lies, all the while repeatedly and unrepentantly mocking the victims of his fraud publicly, and still be (at least in theory) operating a business. Ultimately, unfortunately, one has to blame the inactivity and naivete of his customers - if everyone who either received nothing or an incomplete order (which is roughly 99% of his total customers) disputed the charges with their credit card companies, which would take only a five minute phone call, he would be in dept and out of business for the foreseeable future.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.