Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Old 01-25-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Don't forget the house he was making an offer for earlier. I'm sure this helped with a down payment on that.
Old 01-25-12, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SitRep on my order:

I emailed him twice ([email protected]).
First e-mail to him. No response after 2 days.
Second e-mail to him. Response 1 day later.

My e-mail:

"I understand you are swamped with orders to fill, but i was just wondering on the status of my order:
~~order information~~
thanks"

His reply:

"We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience...we are just waiting for dead and buried dvd to get back in and then it'll be ready to go. We are hoping it'll be here friday. Thank you!!!
-Demetrios"

His reply gives me hope that my order will eventually ship. Also seems like a personalized e-mail and not a mass reply.
Old 01-25-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ordered 3 blus and couldn't get a straight answer out of him to save my life. A few days after I filed my paypal dispute though, I got an email that the items were shipped. 2 arrived today from amazon, where he paid full price for them. The other isn't here, but it has a different tracking number so maybe that is usps and not ups.

I adjusted my paypal dispute to just the one item, which will hopefully arrive soon. When it is resolved, I will never, ever, ever buy from this place again. It's just too much drama.

Edited to add: He had assured me weeks ago that this had been shipped, but the receipt clearly says it was ordered on 1.23.12. At any rate, glad it is almost over.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-25-12 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 08:32 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
If it were a scam on us he wouldn't have shipped and continue to ship items. If it were a scam he certainly wouldn't have bought things directly from Amazon which cost him more.
ummmmmm, Ponzi scheme? make it appear some orders are being sent by using everyones money to buy a few items on Amazon meanwhile still making money off of all the unshipped orders.

Can't believe people are still giving this jackass the benefit of the doubt, over a month later. By the pictures posted he never had anything near the stock he would need....and the way he treats paying customers...benefit of doubt ended last week, fuck this guy.... claiming to have an overseas paypal account now...yeahhhhhhh.
Old 01-25-12, 10:32 PM

Made 2 orders
4 Blue underground in late Dec, 2 synapse titles in early jan

Received 2 from BU, and 1 from synapse order today- all from
Him, no amazon

Was sent confirmation when they shipped , and he even took time to answer another dumb question I had

So far 3 of 6 discs

Fine by me, great price. Hope the guy doesn't go broke trying to fill orders from outside sources.
Old 01-25-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bse View Post
claiming to have an overseas paypal account now...yeahhhhhhh.
What does that mean exactly?
Old 01-25-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
What does that mean exactly?
Apparently some people that have filed claims have been informed by Paypal that the account is "overseas" or "foreign" or something along those lines and the claim will take longer. I filed mine a few days ago and didn't get that message just that they couldn't be reached at their given contact info.... who the hell knows. I'm just hoping I get my $20 back at this point. If I ever see this guy at a convention I'm going to have some shit to say to him until then he can fuck off. What a disaster this has been.
Old 01-26-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Don't forget the house he was making an offer for earlier. I'm sure this helped with a down payment on that.
On the blu-ray.com forum, someone mentioned he's now attempting to start his own distribution label. On the site he just launched for it, the guy refers to himself as a "successful entrepreneur".

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels View Post
The report of Don May ordering some of his own Synapse DVDs (somewhere in this thread I think) had me raising my eyebrows though, and I held off. Seems like even he thought it was fishy and wanted to see if they were boots or something. (that was my guess anyway, and that was enough for me)
No, Don May Jr. supposedly ordered several Blue Underground titles and had reported receiving all but one a few weeks back.
Old 01-26-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

And now the huge discussion thread over at Blu-ray.com has been nuked by the moderators and can't be publicly accessed, which does nothing to help the people who have not received their orders and actively hurts the resolution process for this situation.
Old 01-26-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
And now the huge discussion thread over at Blu-ray.com has been nuked by the moderators and can't be publicly accessed, which does nothing to help the people who have not received their orders and actively hurts the resolution process for this situation.
The deal ended almost a month ago and was moved to the Dead Deals forum.
Old 01-26-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
On the blu-ray.com forum, someone mentioned he's now attempting to start his own distribution label. On the site he just launched for it, the guy refers to himself as a "successful entrepreneur".

No, Don May Jr. supposedly ordered several Blue Underground titles and had reported receiving all but one a few weeks back.
OK, gotcha. Him ordering anything made me wonder why he would bother I guess.
Old 01-26-12, 07:54 AM

Everyone should just chill the hell out. Seriously. I am waiting too, but I have waited just as long for WBshop and Deep Discount. Just look at his Twitter feed. This guy is a real person, who has a passion for horror. He is disorganized, sure. Is he a criminal mastermind? no. 2 out 7 have shipped for me, and he does get back to you eventually. Have some fucking patience.

Last edited by efordvt; 01-26-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-26-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

The disorganization is the issue. I don't think the guy's trying to purposefully rip anyone off, but I do think there's a very good chance he's mismanaged things to the point that he won't be financially able to fulfill orders or provide refunds. I'm guessing the lack of communication is him frantically spinning his wheels to figure out how to get out of the hole he's found himself in.
Old 01-26-12, 08:32 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by efordvt View Post
Everyone should just chill the hell out. Seriously. I am waiting too, but I have waited just as long for WBshop and Deep Discount. Just look at his Twitter feed. This guy is a real person, who has a passion for horror. He is disorganized, sure. Is he a criminal mastermind? no. 2 out 7 have shipped for me, and he does get back to you eventually. Have some fucking patience.
wow, still after him being a dick to his customers, lying about everything, not replying to anyone, not refunding peoples money and making them wait for a paypal investigation there are still people who want to stick up for this guy a month+ later.
Old 01-26-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
The disorganization is the issue. I don't think the guy's trying to purposefully rip anyone off, but I do think there's a very good chance he's mismanaged things to the point that he won't be financially able to fulfill orders or provide refunds. I'm guessing the lack of communication is him frantically spinning his wheels to figure out how to get out of the hole he's found himself in.
Exactly! The guy is obviously in way over his head, but is still accepting orders, when he can't fulfill ones placed over a month ago. If you read my earlier post, you can see how confused he really is.
Old 01-26-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just wanted to add that I've placed and received orders at different times from both of those places and they have all arrived in the time I've waited. Stores also have a policy, due to laws, that if an item isn't going to go out within 30 days of the order, unless another time was put in place at the order, that a store has to notify people if they still want to keep their order or not.
Old 01-26-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I was wondering why that wasn't loading
Old 01-26-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I was wondering why that wasn't loading
It's still loading and quite active. As dino88 pointed out, it has been moved into the Dead Deals subforum.
Old 01-26-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
It's still loading and quite active. As dino88 pointed out, it has been moved into the Dead Deals subforum.
And you just need to be registered over there.
Old 01-26-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish his passion was for business. Even when I've had to wait for DD.com, they don't charge me til it ships and I have been able to contact them to cancel orders. I've had 0 of 13 ship. You go ahead and wait and I'll dispute with my CC company. If this guy has enough problems with his money sources, he will be out of business which is probably what needs to happen. He can go get passionate about pulling a 9 to 5 retail gig where someone who knows what they are doing is in charge. If he hadn't already charged me, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about waiting.
Old 01-26-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Everyone should just chill the hell out. Seriously. I am waiting too, but I have waited just as long for WBshop and Deep Discount.
WBShop and Deep Discount don't charge your credit card until your order ships.
Old 01-26-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How is he even compared to DD or WB.
Old 01-26-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
WBShop and Deep Discount don't charge your credit card until your order ships.
And they don't do their customer service via Twitter. Well, as far as I know
Old 01-26-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could also make the argument that since he is a real person, he should be able to ask some friends or family members to help out. If I were in his shoes and had managed to get myself in over my head like this, I would contact some friends, tell them I was going to order a bunch of pizza, maybe some beer, and give them some tasks to do. With one person separating orders, another packaging and one more person answering emails, just think how much work could get done in a night. Make a weekend out of it (with Blue Underground movies playing throughout naturally) and I bet this backlog would disappear pretty quick. Then the only issue would be shipping all the packages out. I know I have friends who would be willing to help me out, especially since we're not talking hard labor here, and wouldn't expect anything other than perhaps a meal in return.
Old 01-26-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm thinking a major part of his problem is getting stock replenished to cover orders. But I think getting someone to help with emails and tweets would definitely help with people getting mad over non-communication.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.