Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
re: Horror Movie Empire shenanigans (was: Blue Underground BDs $10 each)

Today got the remaining items from my 12/14/11 Corman sale order including Humanoids From the Deep blu-ray and Forbiddean Planet blu-ray. Also got 1 item from my 01/08/12 Synapse order, The Image blu-ray. All shipped from Amazon. Still awaiting 9 Blue Underground titles from 12/19/11 and 2 Synapse titles from 01/08/12. I feel bad about this guy using Amazon so much, at this rate it seems he'll drive himself out of business.
Old 01-17-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

He now claims on Facebook that customer e-mails have been going to his spam folder, which is why nobody's gotten a response. I don't really buy that, considering several people asked for order updates on Facebook and Twitter and he ignored most of those. The guy set up a new e-mail address for people wanting status updates: [email protected]. He claims you will (hopefully) get a reply within four days.

I'm still opening a claim at the end of the week if I don't hear anything. He keeps insisting most of the orders are out, yet says anyone who is tired of waiting can get a refund. Too much conflicting info... and all these Amazon gift orders are starting to raise flags with me. Why not just address his supply problems -- delays from wholesalers, etc? If he really had all this stuff in stock, why not just post pictures of his inventory to alleviate everyone's concern?
Old 01-17-12, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
...why not just post pictures of his inventory to alleviate everyone's concern?
I am confused by the Amazon stuff too. I think he's trying to guarantee supplies even at his own expense. I think a good website inventory system would save him a lot of grief. He has obviously been working off a backorder. However he has several times posted inventory pictures on Twitter.
Old 01-17-12, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
However he has several times posted inventory pictures on Twitter.
I've seen those, but it mostly looked like a couple boxes of Synapse/Code Red DVDs. There were a handful of BU titles pictured, but not nearly enough to fill 2000+ orders.
Old 01-18-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Judging by the prices on his site, I bet he had the sale to drive business to his site, hoping customers would also buy his higher-priced discs. He got an overwhelming response but no one probably bought anything other than the sale items. Now he's stuck trying to play catch-up. And the only way he'll get repeat customers is if he keeps his sale going on but he'll keep losing money. I don't see how he can stay afloat for very long.

I wonder about this myself. I don't see how he can be making any money on these discs if he is truly a new little business...as distributors (who often charge more than if you are direct, and this guy isn't) don't just hand out the kind of discounts that allow you to sell 10$ blus for a profit. And while they also don't care how much money YOU lose so long as THEY get paid...you need serious volume to make huge discounts worth a distributors time, and I don't see where that volume is in this case.
Old 01-18-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
Plus, the likelihood of any repeat customers lessens with each passing day, as a month later most of us are still waiting on our orders.
Old 01-18-12, 12:55 PM

Edit: Got my complete second Blue Underground, placed 12/19/11, order today that included Inferno and Deep Red blus shipped from Horror Movie Empire. Still waiting on my first order from 12/19/11 and 2 items from 01/08/12 (got 1 already).

I'd like to follow the site and would prefer to repeat business but like most I'm on this thread because of good deals, the like not normally offered.

It is kind of sad that we live in a world where indie/local video places are not viable and online botique stores are crushed by Amazon. At this point I think it's important people vote for spirited specialty stores with their wallet or we'll all just end up at the whim of lightening deals and $5 bargain bins. Aside from the shady lack of communication and delays there's potential for this guy to shape up and offer a nice niche marketplace.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 01-18-12 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I can overlook a lot, but the thing that bothers me the most is when a store promises things that they aren't able to deliver. In the beginning of the sale, the website had the guarantee about how soon orders are sent out. Obviously that didn't happen, though I get that there were a number of factors that caused that. But don't promise people that they will have their tracking information within 48 hours if you think there's any possible way you won't be able to get it done. To me, that look worse than all these things being backordered. It's not like I asked for tracking information; that was something that was volunteered.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I'd like to follow the site and would prefer to repeat business but like most I'm on this thread because of good deals, the like not normally offered.

It is kind of sad that we live in a world where indie/local video places are not viable and online botique stores are crushed by Amazon. At this point I think it's important people vote for spirited specialty stores with their wallet or we'll all just end up at the whim of lightening deals and $5 bargain bins. Aside from the shady lack of communication and delays there's potential for this guy to shape up and offer a nice niche marketplace.
I think the bolded is what is the biggest problem. I don't think most of us care *that* much how long it takes the order to be fulfilled, we just don't like feeling ignored or misled. Plus, it's hard to muster up much spirit for a spirited specialty store when one describes its communication as shady. These places live and die by customer service. Aside from the massive sale here and there, the prices on most items will be cheaper at places like Amazon. You need to make people feel like they want to order from you, like they want to give you some of their money.

I never ordered too much from Xploited, but that guy seemed to set the gold standard in that regard. I can think of many people around here who would say that if given the choice, they would order from Xploited even though it was a little more expensive. That's what this guy needs to cultivate, and the BU sale gave him a massive audience to potentially do just that. Unfortunately, he's falling down in that regard. My verdict is still out about the store. A lot will depend on whether I receive a package in the next week. I'll freely admit that I will likely change my tune if I receive something soon.

Last edited by clckworang; 01-18-12 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 02:09 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Lol@ you guys fighting tooth and nail with the guy trying to get the orders fulfilled and shipped and following his every tweet moves. Is all this effort even worth the discount? Personally I'ved moved on after getting my refund but best of luck to everyone and I hope you guys do "finally" get your stuff.
Old 01-18-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I never ordered too much from Xploited, but that guy seemed to set the gold standard in that regard. I can think of many people around here who would say that if given the choice, they would order from Xploited even though it was a little more expensive.
Xploited Cinema was amazing. I was happy to give Tony the extra money for the amazing customer service he offered. Packages were always well packed, communication was fast, site was always updated and packages always came quick. On top of that he always ordered lots of really great stuff for that site.

Even DiabolikDVD is fantastic. If I'm not mistaken that company is only run by 2 people and I've never had issues with them. Yes, their shipping is a little expensive (UPS) but again the customer service is always fantastic. A week ago I had a question about a re-stock on a particular DVD, and it was answered on their Facebook page in a couple hours with information on when the re-stocks were coming in. Once in, DiabolikDVD went back to my original post and told me they were in and ready to order. I also appreciate all the updates via their Facebook (constantly) and their newsletter.

I didn't order anything from this sale, but again I hope everyone eventually gets their stuff!
Old 01-18-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Xploited Cinema was amazing. I was happy to give Tony the extra money for the amazing customer service he offered. Packages were always well packed, communication was fast, site was always updated and packages always came quick. On top of that he always ordered lots of really great stuff for that site.

Even DiabolikDVD is fantastic. If I'm not mistaken that company is only run by 2 people and I've never had issues with them. Yes, their shipping is a little expensive (UPS) but again the customer service is always fantastic. A week ago I had a question about a re-stock on a particular DVD, and it was answered on their Facebook page in a couple hours with information on when the re-stocks were coming in. Once in, DiabolikDVD went back to my original post and told me they were in and ready to order. I also appreciate all the updates via their Facebook (constantly) and their newsletter.

I didn't order anything from this sale, but again I hope everyone eventually gets their stuff!
^ This.

Xploited Cinema was great (and still is on the rare chance I order something from Tony thru eBay), and Diabolik has basically taken over where XC left off. I have no problem supporting the little guy (who often has stuff the big stores don't, even from 3rd party sellers) but the way HME has handled their business since the start of the Blue Underground sale is unacceptable. The waits and delays are one thing and probably out of his control to a certain extent but there is a reasonable and honest way to deal with your customers about it.
Old 01-18-12, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Hard Men/Sky Riders was delivered today. No gift receipt, but it came from Amazon.
Old 01-18-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I never ordered too much from Xploited, but that guy seemed to set the gold standard in that regard. I can think of many people around here who would say that if given the choice, they would order from Xploited even though it was a little more expensive.
I am one of those who ordered from Tony. I never had an issue with any of my orders with him so never had to see first hand how he would handle things but other people have said nothing but good things. Other companies could learn a thing or two about customer service from Tony.

I did not order anything from this sale. But I'm curious is others will continue to order from this guy.
Old 01-18-12, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Lol@ you guys fighting tooth and nail with the guy trying to get the orders fulfilled and shipped and following his every tweet moves. Is all this effort even worth the discount? Personally I'ved moved on after getting my refund but best of luck to everyone and I hope you guys do "finally" get your stuff.
Not for me. I received an order from him in the past, but all this blatant misinformation isn't worth it. I won't support a business that knowingly passes BS to it's customers. He went from being a week behind on orders, to 14 days, to a month. You shouldn't give false timeframes and dodge questions if you want to be successful. At this point, I wish I skipped his sales all together.

One man or not, I've never had to wait this long for something I've already been charged for -- even in the days of mail order.
Old 01-18-12, 09:08 PM
Cool New Member

Another victim apparently, right here. Ordered from the site on December 21st, haven't heard back from him since first week of January. Sent DSK another email 3 days ago...no response. I really don't know what to do at this point, call my credit card company? I spent almost $100 on the sale and its vanished somewhere out in cyberspace.
Old 01-18-12, 10:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus

I did not order anything from this sale. But I'm curious is others will continue to order from this guy.
Not me for sure. Not even if he was offering Criterions for 99 cents.
Old 01-19-12, 04:03 AM

Never again for me, not worth it imo. The 20th is one month.
Old 01-19-12, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Not me for sure. Not even if he was offering Criterions for 99 cents.
Liar.
Old 01-19-12, 06:09 AM
Banned

I've received 5 BUs so far. In 10 -15 days I'm dropping claims for what I haven't received.
Old 01-19-12, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad i only ordered 1 title from this sale....
Old 01-19-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

My timeline:
12/19 - placed first order for 2 movies
12/23 - placed second order for 5 movies
1/3 - sent email inquiry to address my order confirmations came from
1/6 - submitted inquiry via 'contact us' page on website
1/7 - received response to 'contact us' inquiry claiming my orders would ship that day and tracking numbers would be sent soon after
1/14 - received response to email inquiry stating all orders had shipped and tracking numbers would be sent within a couple days

Not a thing in the mail so far and never received any shipment confirmations. Tomorrow, I'll do another submission on his contact us page asking for tracking numbers. If he doesn't send those by early next week, I'll be asking for a refund. I know he was slammed and didn't mind waiting, but sending out blatantly false information to customers is where I draw the line.
Old 01-19-12, 08:16 AM
Banned

On facebook he said there is a new e-mail to check orders.
[email protected]

Hi everyone, we know many of you are getting to the point of wanting to burst! we understand, again anyone that requests a refund we have no problem taking care of that for you otherwise we please ask that you be patient when sending us e-mails asking about order status, etc. we get literally over 100 e-mails a day ranging from order inquiries to other companies asking if we want to stock their stuff to people asking if we carry certain items...there is a new e-mail for order inquiries it is, in fact, [email protected] you'll get a response hopefully within 96 hours. we also will be making the facebook page and twitter account mainly only for posting new products. some of you are frustrated, we get it, we were unprepaired, we get it, we suck, we get it, haha. we got some people on board to help out with everything and hopefully that translates into faster processing and answers. back to work now, thanx everybody! also a note to people that sent e-mails: we just found over 60 in our spam folder so some of you who didn't get responses that might be why. anyhoo we love you all, cheers!
-DKS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horror...m/240743788449
Old 01-19-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking if anyone ordered Salon Kitty (like I did) we are getting the shit end of the stick just a little bit more since Amazon doesn't stock it.
Old 01-19-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stroszeck
Another victim apparently, right here. Ordered from the site on December 21st, haven't heard back from him since first week of January. Sent DSK another email 3 days ago...no response. I really don't know what to do at this point, call my credit card company? I spent almost $100 on the sale and its vanished somewhere out in cyberspace.
You pretty much have to go through Twitter. Then he'd tell you something that would end up not being true. I've been told it would be shipped out weeks ago, that I'd get a tracking number last week and that I'd have the package last weekend or Tuesday. Apparently asking a few times doesn't get your order done any faster.

So there really isn't a point to asking anything. Just need to play the waiting game. I think the only way he'd really get the point that he needs to start giving accurate info is if enough people started doing chargebacks instead of asking for a refund through him. Then merchant services would start asking questions and possibly cancel his account.

I'm just playing the waiting game for now, especially since some orders seem to be showing up.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 01-19-12 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 11:37 AM

those people who received any orders.. did you get a tracking number a few days before the order arrived?... or did the packages just appear without notice? thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.