Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Mission Impossible set $19.99 w free Ghost Protocol movie ticket

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mission Impossible set $19.99 w free Ghost Protocol movie ticket

Best Buy has the Mission Impossible Extreme Bluray Trilogy for $19.99 wwith one admission ticket to see Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol movie, up to $10 off. I had this set on HD-DVD and wasn't intent on buying it, but since I was planning on watching the movie, the price point was too good to resist.
Old 12-11-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Mission Impossible set $19.99 w free Ghost Protocol movie ticket

Remember that this new BD set is missing all the special features from MI:3, except for the commentary
Old 12-11-11, 09:28 PM

Nice to know. But I haven't even peaked at the special features of these movies in the HD DVD version, and I find more and more that I am seldom able to watch special features for movies I do buy. So I'm okay with the less than stellar features for the price.
Old 12-11-11, 10:16 PM

Is there a reason for the price difference in the gift sets? I see 2 that are for Blu and are different prices.

I am tempted to get these since I have 1 on VHS and 3 on DVD. I'm not even sure I have 2 on anything.

Tho from reading some reviews, some people seem down on the quality of these.

Good price, but kind of has me wondering now if I should just wait until they put all 4 in a pack together or if they will re-master the first 3 to better quality.

Last edited by slinkster65; 12-11-11 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 12:32 AM

There's a good review of this set at HighDefDigest.com, including what's included or not in this set. You may want to check it out.
Old 12-12-11, 04:38 AM

is this in store only?
Old 12-12-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care about the special features as much as the audio. Keep in mind that this set is Dolby Digital only. No HD audio at all.
Old 12-12-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BB had MI 2 for $3.99 on BF. I would like to upgrade the other 2 films, but given that this pack is missing the MI 3 extra features 2nd disc, they all have DD 5.1 sound, and the reviews on the PQ of #1 aren't that great, I'll pass and wait for their double/triple dip when they do the whole set properly. The only thing that made this remotely tempting is the movie cash, but I so rarely have time to see movies at the theater (let alone at home) that it becomes a chore to use a movie ticket before it expires (I should say before they pull the movie from the theater long before the ticket expires). Besides, matinees are always $5.50 at my nearby theater, so that's all a free movie ticket is worth to me.

It seems like when Ghost Protocol is released on BD, that's the time they should give us a complete set and hopefully fix the existing issues with this one.
Old 12-12-11, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by vietduckboi
is this in store only?
It looks like it's available on BB's website as well.

Too bad Canadian retailers are charging $34.99 for this =(
Old 12-12-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The individual releases are also $9.99 in store and online, each with $10 movie cash, so that would be the best way to go, especially if you can live without the cardboard slipbox.
Old 12-12-11, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
The individual releases are also $9.99 in store and online, each with $10 movie cash, so that would be the best way to go, especially if you can live without the cardboard slipbox.
i looked at both the pages for the individual and trilogy releases but cannot figure out where it mentions the free movies tickets...can someone help?
Old 12-12-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i looked at both the pages for the individual and trilogy releases but cannot figure out where it mentions the free movies tickets...can someone help?
There were stickers on the outside of the packaging at the 2 BBs that had them locally.
Old 12-12-11, 03:23 PM

That's the risk of buying these on-line if it doesn't specifically mention in the site that movie tickets are included. You can always order and return if it doesn't have movie tickets. But best option is to go to a local store and pick copies that have the stickers for these sets/movies.
Old 12-12-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't do it. The reviews for the audio-video quality for part 1 were just too bad. I did buy 2 for $4 at BB and, while I might get 3, I'll have to wait for an upgrade on 1.
Old 12-12-11, 05:59 PM

Does anyone know if the Movie Cash can be used @ Imax presentations? The first six minutes of The Dark Knight Rises will be screened in front of MI:4 on select Imax screens.
Old 12-12-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Yes. You'll just have to pay for any amount over $10 though.
Old 12-12-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Didn't realize that the 2-Disc M:I III BD was on the out. The cheapest I could find it new was $30 at Amazon.

Are the movies discs in this new set the exact same ones from the original releases?

I may hold out for the impending 4 movie set, hopefully including some extras or remasters.
Old 12-13-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by flix1
Are the movies discs in this new set the exact same ones from the original releases?
Yes they are. The only thing new is the cover art, otherwise even the disc artwork is the same as previous releases.

As a side, I'm glad I held onto my MI3 HD-DVD. The picture-in-picture commentary (where Abrams and Cruise pause the movie to talk more) is still an exclusive. Didn't realize Paramount hadn't bothered to port that feature over to Blu-ray (in its place is an edited commentary track).
Old 12-13-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The MI3 commentary was edited for the Blu Ray and Dvd release of the film. At the time the final spec for Blu was not out yet (late 2006) and most players couldn't handle the picture in picture aspect. It was one of the positives HD-DVD had going into the format war. Hopefully if the films are ever properly re-released they will go back and add the unedited feature now that blu can handle it.

I know Depalma doesn't like doing commentaries but I'd also love to hear someone involved do a commentary for the first film. There is still some mystery to the conflict behind the scenes. Evidently the original intent was to create a series for Cruise and Depalma to work together on from start to finish. During filming several problems arose and Cruise didn't want to work with the director again. At this point is when Cruise started saying that each film should have a different director and have a different tone. Which so far has worked for the series.
Old 12-14-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to BestBuy to look for the "MI: 3 Movie Pack" w Movie Ticket.

There were no MI movies in the main BLU-RAY rack. So, I had so time to kill and just walked around the store for a while. 45 min later I saw at the end of a row all the MI being displayed. I was excited to see only one copy left of the 3 Pack w Movie Ticket.

Picked up the pack for the $19.99 price and will be using the ticket to see the movie in a week.

Sometimes things just work out with a little patience.
Old 12-14-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
The only thing that made this remotely tempting is the movie cash, but I so rarely have time to see movies at the theater (let alone at home) that it becomes a chore to use a movie ticket before it expires (I should say before they pull the movie from the theater long before the ticket expires). Besides, matinees are always $5.50 at my nearby theater, so that's all a free movie ticket is worth to me.
So your spending all your spare time surfing for DVD and BD bargains in this forum for stuff you don't have time to watch?

I asked for this set for Christmas and I will 100% use the $10 coupon to see Ghost Protocol in theatres.

I already own MI-MI:III on DVD and have the special 3rd disc that came with MI:III at Best Buy when it originally was released. I would be watching this set for the upgraded picture quality. If I want to re-visit the special features, I'll just pop in 1 of my old DVDs.
Old 12-16-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I broke down and bought the set. At $20 with the movie ticket, the price is gonna be hard to beat.

I could see the set getting down to $15 easy, but the movie ticket more than makes up for the difference in the short term ... if you are going to use it.

... additionally, my Best Buy restocked sets between Tuesday and Thursday. They were down to 2 on Tuesday, but had 8 or more last night.
Old 12-17-11, 10:32 PM

So I was on-line and chose the theater where I'd want to watch it, without first checking on showtimes for that theater. Once I printed the coupon, I then viewed the showtimes. Big mistake, was surprised it wasn't showing in that theater! Checked the online site again, and was glad that the printed coupon can be used for other selected theaters as well in my area code. I found only one theater, and it was in IMax, and was again surprised that the ticket price for the movie was $19! That makes it an additional $9 to watch the movie. So was sure disappointed.

Turns out that the movie is just on advanced preview screening this week, and will be shown in other theaters as well next week. So decided to just watch next week. Either in a regular theater, or IMax if the price plus is reasonable. In the meantime, maybe I should hunt for a free Sherlock Holmes ticket on another blu ray
Old 12-18-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Just returned from watching Ghost Protocol on IMAX. bucketload of crap that just goes on and on and on...and doesn't know when to end. when they say 'check your brains at the door', they couldn't have meant it better. wonder what it is that critics are going gung-ho over. perhaps these kinda movies don't excite me anymore, maybe its me. but seriously, this is a colossally bad movie - just a collection of action scenes each of which does not elicit the slightest bit of tension and simply play out by the numbers, with so much of insistence on style..and style ONLY.
Old 12-18-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Decided to order the MI BD set and used my $10 GC from Best Buy for not sending out the Ben Hur BD set from the black Friday online sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.