Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Alien Anthology: $40.99 as Amazon Deal of the Day (Thursday, December 1)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This deserves its own post outside of the Amazon thread.

While Fox lowered the SRP from $129.99 to $99.99 a few months ago, the cheapest the Alien Anthology set has been on Amazon was $52.99. Tomorrow's Amazon deal will have the set at a whopping $40.99.

Here's a direct link right to the Amazon page. The sale goes live tonight at 12:00 AM PST.
Old 11-30-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Alien Anthology: $40.99 as Amazon Deal of the Day (Thursday, December 1)

FYI the UK blu-ray set its now $20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthol...2764514&sr=8-1

Last edited by nando820; 12-01-11 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very tempting, but I also bit on Matrix and X-Men sets at sale prices of $50 a long time ago, and since could have gotten them for as low as $20 (if I had waited).
Old 11-30-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Anything new on the blu-ray that wasn't added on the DVD set?
Old 11-30-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are a lot more extras on the Blu-ray, everything from the past DVD boxes are all included, and a few more things.

But considering the Alien Anthology is £13.97 on Amazon UK for the next 2 weeks, it seems like $40.99 is not much of a bargain....
Old 11-30-11, 08:13 PM

Any differences between the UK and US blu-rays? Extras, etc? No problem with region coding or frame rate?
Old 11-30-11, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lije Baley
Any differences between the UK and US blu-rays? Extras, etc? No problem with region coding or frame rate?
None what so ever. The only difference is the packaging. Also, the UK set now comes in a keepcase with slipcase.
Old 11-30-11, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
None what so ever. The only difference is the packaging. Also, the UK set now comes in a keepcase with slipcase.
Thanks, got my order in. No VAT, so total with shipping to California was £14.72. About USD$23. Not a bad deal. I almost paid that for the first two movies on BF.

Remembered to use my Capital One MC, which has no fees for foreign currency conversion.
Old 11-30-11, 11:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Yes.
Old 11-30-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Originally Posted by High Def Digest
As if the wealth of already available supplements weren't enough, Fox Home Entertainment ups the ante with the latest bells and whistles the Blu-ray technology can afford. It's seemingly cool stuff to play with, but I can't imagine many making the best use of it quite yet. Each disc comes with BD-Live Functionality called "Live Extras" and the interactive Bookmark function. Also, as far as I can gather, the pieces in "Enhancement Pods" are available for the first time on home video. I can't recall having seen any of them before, and they're not in either the "Quadrilogy" set or the Special Edition releases.

MU-TH-UR Mode — Likely the most intriguing part of the Blu-ray set is this new interactive feature which spans all the discs. We've seen other features (mostly from WB) similar to this one, but Fox makes it an all-in-one interface tool where viewers can use it much like a pop-up menu and pushes it one step further with a bizarre way of making all the discs connected. Once activated, a selection bar appears along the left side of the screen with a small marker on the top right corner which keeps track of bookmarked clips.

The entire thing is greatly interesting, especially the first time around, but it can also be somewhat complicated to navigate. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it's easy to see its appeal. In the "Auditory," viewers can quickly access the different audio options, like audio commentaries and the isolated scores. "Datastream" is really nothing more than a trivia track with the latest information, but separate texts have been created for all eight versions of the movies. The last option is the one definitely most unique to this set.

All the discs are connected via the "Data Tags" option. The way it works is that while watching the movie in MU-TH-UR Mode, "Visual Options" reminds viewers that there are images and videos related to that specific scene of the film. After highlighting and selecting, the icon in the top right corner blinks to indicate that you wish to see more on it later. To delete, highlight that same corner to view your selection and click on them again to erase.

When you pop in disc five with all the supplemental material and select that disc's MU-TH-UR Mode, the video or image is there waiting to be watched, taken from either the available documentaries, "DATASEARCH," or the "Enhancement Pods." This sounds like a cool option and a fairly high-tech one at that, but I can't imagine too many folks making the best use of this, including myself.

DISC TWO: ALIENS

Isolated Score — Two versions of James Horner's musical composition are made available as separate tracks. I can't find a similar option on the DVD releases, so I have to assume this is the first time such an opportunity is offered for the home video market. It can only be selected for the theatrical cut.

DISC THREE: ALIEN³

Isolated Score — As with the above, I can't find a similar option on the DVD releases, so I'm assuming this is a first. Fans can listen to Elliot Goldenthal's musical score as an isolated track in Dolby Digital 5.1. This is only available on the theatrical version of the movie.

DISC FOUR: ALIEN RESURRECTION

Isolated Score — Once more for good measure: I can't find a similar option on the DVD releases, but viewers can listen to John Frizzell's musical score as an isolated track in Dolby Digital 5.1. This is only available on the theatrical version of the movie.

DISC FIVE: MAKING THE ANTHOLOGY

Alien Enhancement Pods (SD, 80 min) — Essentially, this is more or less like a collection of 27 deleted or extended interviews. There are also several scenes which didn't make it into the final cut of 'The Beast Within.' They can all be watched in order or individually. The most interesting pieces are on Jodorowsky's 'Dune' being a major design influence of the sci-fi genre, talks about Giger, and other thoughts from Jerry Goldsmith about the music and film. But above all else, James Cameron is given a couple minutes to freely share his thoughts on Ridley Scott's film.

Aliens Enhancement Pods (SD, 59 min) — Another collection of what seems like scenes that never made into "Superior Firepower." It starts with producer David Giler revealing that filmmakers actually considered making the sequel without Ripley simply because the role was a woman! The rest cover various areas of the production like Cameron's comments on set design and his interests on the military. There's also some great test footage of the special effects and Stan Winston sharing certain challenges he had to overcome. The more interesting pieces are with talks on the visuals and interviews with Ron Cobb and the cast, especially the comments on Sigourney Weaver and her role as Ripley.

Alien³ Enhanced Pods (SD, 74 min) — This assortment of various interviews is fairly entertaining, especially if one is fascinated by the history of this production. The best segments are, obviously, those associated with Fincher's experience and folks praising his visionary style. Others have actors like Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen sharing their thoughts on their characters and the third film. There are also some really cool sequences on the make-up and special effects work as well as recording original sounds for this movie and the decision for not using a powerful low-end. I think the best of the bunch are the last two, where Sigourney Weaver talks about Ripley's evolution and cast & crew give their thoughts about 'Alien 3.'

Alien Resurrection Enhancement Pods (SD, 75 min) — Once again, and for the final time, this is a gathering spot for the leftover footage of the documentary on 'Alien Resurrection.' And just as in watching the doc, sitting through each segment is a bit of a task, primarily because interest in the movie is greatly lacking. Still, a few of the pieces are somewhat worthwhile like Bob Ringwood's anecdote on creating Ripley's new look. In fact, to go along these lines, the better segments are the ones focused on the design department since Jeunet does have a very unique visual style. The comments on the special effects are also interesting.

DATASEARCH (SD) — Now, this section offers a rather intriguing option, mostly because it's somewhat difficult to describe. The material inside is not exactly exclusive, but the option and functionality most certainly is to the high-def format. Essentially, this categorizes literally everything on disc five — all the documentaries and individual segments from each film — into alphabetical order, by name of the cast or crew, character, or scene. This means that someone actually took the time skimming through the material and tagged it so that it could be recalled just for this section. If I click on an actor's name or character, I then have to pick the movie to which that person's comment is related. After that, there is a long list of videos from which to choose that are specific to a particular area in the production. I hope that makes sense because I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that someone took the time to do this in the first place. WOW!
Source

Outside of those new bonus features, all of the bonus material from the Alien Quadrilogy box set makes it over.

The American release is packaged as a digibook with a slipcover:

The UK release was originally packaged as a digipak:

Whereas now it's packed as a Vortex case:

Old 12-01-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn that's insane that this has gotten even MORE special features. I just got the DVDs for Halloween, never finished it, so might try to resell and buy the blu-ray down the line.
Old 12-01-11, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by nando820
FYI the UK blu-ray set its now $20

whoa ... I clicked on the link you provided above and found your address as one of my shipping choices. Wasn't expecting that. I figure you probably wouldn't mind getting a few free discs, but, perhaps, you wouldn't want your address available so easily. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll order through UK. But the shipment will be heading my way...
Old 12-01-11, 04:44 AM

Thanks picked this up after reading the Amazon reviews for the US edition.
Old 12-01-11, 12:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by inDefiance
whoa ... I clicked on the link you provided above and found your address as one of my shipping choices. Wasn't expecting that. I figure you probably wouldn't mind getting a few free discs, but, perhaps, you wouldn't want your address available so easily. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll order through UK. But the shipment will be heading my way...
Oh my evil plan didn't work. No seriously thank you man, I didn't know it saves that thing. I guess I have to log out before i put links up...
Old 12-01-11, 02:28 PM

Once I saw yesterday what the price was going to be today on Amazon I decided to place an order on the U.K set. My order has already been dispatched with an estimate delivery of December 22nd.
Old 12-01-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The UK release was originally packaged as a digipak:

I should get the BD set just so I never again have to open that damn foldout DVD set
Old 12-01-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I should get the BD set just so I never again have to open that damn foldout DVD set
I splurged the extra $17 on the American release at midnight. With my luck, if I ordered from the UK, I'll get the sole copy of the digipak release left in their warehouse. I would be fine with the Vortex case and slipcover, but I just prefer the American digibook release. My copy shipped earlier this morning and because of Prime, I'll have it tomorrow rather than God knows when due to the holidays.

$40.99 isn't a bad deal for four films spread across six discs. And personally, in the States (at least), I don't see Fox lowering this lower than $30 within the next year or two.
Old 12-01-11, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
Oh my evil plan didn't work. No seriously thank you man, I didn't know it saves that thing. I guess I have to log out before i put links up...
Well that explains the whole address thing LMAO I was wondering how the hell that got in my address book lol.
Old 12-01-11, 09:37 PM

Sweet, in for the UK set. Thanks for the heads up on the price!
Old 12-01-11, 11:35 PM

Thanks, got my order in. No VAT, so total with shipping to California was £14.72. About USD$23. Not a bad deal. I almost paid that for the first two movies on BF.

Remembered to use my Capital One MC, which has no fees for foreign currency conversion.
No problem.

One thing I forgot to mention is, that you will need one of these and plenty of these when you attempt to remove the vortex case from the slipcase.
Old 12-02-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the US packaging better from the start and missed a ridiculously good price on it once before (better than this). I've held out because I didn't want the UK version in this case. Happy to get it at this price.
Old 12-02-11, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
No problem.

One thing I forgot to mention is, that you will need one of these and plenty of these when you attempt to remove the vortex case from the slipcase.
What??? Open the case with a red-tipped vibrator????
Old 12-02-11, 10:19 AM

What??? Open the case with a red-tipped vibrator????
It's a chainsaw...
Old 12-02-11, 06:42 PM

$10 or less is my price point for the first 2 Alien movies as I love them both. However, the other 2 have almost no value to me as I like to pretend they don't exist. I saw the first 2 movies for $9.99 at Target today. Now the whole anthology is $40.99.

Naturally I checked the reviews which said it contains "mostly" the same bonus material (they mostly come at night, mostly) as the DVD quadrilogy and they are still in SD so there's no upgrade in quality).

So, can someone quickly tell me if I keep my DVD quadrilogy (which is worth very little as a used trade-in) and buy the 1st 2 movies on BD for $9.99 at Target, what extras will I be missing from the BD Anthlogy set? Thanks.
Old 12-04-11, 09:50 AM

Thank, gave the UK a try for the 1st time. Ex-Wife took my DVD set and I have been wanting to watch this for sometime (again).

Item(s) Subtotal: GBP 11.64
Postage & Packing: GBP 3.08
-----
Total Before VAT: GBP 14.72
VAT: GBP 0.00
-----
Total: GBP 14.72
-----
Grand Total: GBP 14.72
Payment Grand Total: USD 23.85 **

I seen free shipping and thought Ya, then seen I had to pay for it Ah. Wish I could have used my Prime but in the long run a saving of over $43.64US.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.