Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy: Captain America & Thor Combo Packs $15.99 Each / Free Shipping!

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy: Captain America & Thor Combo Packs $15.99 Each / Free Shipping!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy: Captain America & Thor Combo Packs $15.99 Each / Free Shipping!

Originally Posted by IJMSPORT
Both movies were worthless in 3D. I didnt even bother to see CA in 3D after watching half of Thor 3D without the glasses. Other than Asgard, the 3D was meaningless. Certainly not worth the extra money. However, as traditional viewings, theyre definitely worth the purchase. Both movies were done quite right.
I'm just learning about 3D now, and I've only looked at 3 3D movies (looked at being sampled sections rather than watched the whole movie yet): PotC 4, Cars 2 and Disney's A Christmas Carol. Those looked good to me. So, are you saying that a lot of 3D movies are worthless? Are those ones where the 3D was added later so only the special effects are in 3D? I don't even know how they would convert a normal 2D movie to 3D since you'd have to be able to digitally separate every object in every scene, place them at a distance in the computer, and then redo the scene digitally. I did go to Wikipedia and print a list of all 3D movies and start making notes as it says which ones were 2D conversions. I just bought Chicken Little 3D at Fry's and I hope that all of the Disney 3D movies are re-renderings with the second viewpoint. It sounds like I'm going to have to read EVERY 3D BD review in order to find out which ones are "good" 3D vs. "bad" 3D unless someone has a list or website saying which 3D movies are good vs. which aren't. More stuff to do that I don't have time for.

To me to be a good 3D movie simply means that it has to look like it was filmed in 3D so that everything in the picture has a different distance. I don't like it when movies are made specifically to startle me in 3D.
Old 11-18-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
Never is a long time. I finished work and had to go pick up my kid from school before going home. Is that OK with you?

I don't know what the $5 is, but I'll take it.
The issue isn't that you had to work, but the mysterious "promotion" you had referenced and apparently have no idea what it was. It's odd that it rang up that way for you, but if no one else can get it, it shouldn't be mentioned. (It's also annoying when people post something like, "I got this videogame for $35," and when they're finally pinned down, they mention they had a $25 gift card.)
Old 11-18-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
but if no one else can get it, it shouldn't be mentioned.
This isn't like using a gift card. He didn't know what the promotion was and had no way to know no one else received it until it was mentioned. Why don't you give him your Amazon account info so he can log in as you and see if you get the next promotion.
Old 11-18-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Dang, I caved and bought both. When I went to bed, I realized I hadn't pulled the trigger and figured I would if the deal was still live today, and it was.
Old 11-18-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
This isn't like using a gift card. He didn't know what the promotion was and had no way to know no one else received it until it was mentioned. Why don't you give him your Amazon account info so he can log in as you and see if you get the next promotion.
Some people just have to make comments about every little thing. I read the original as asking if anyone else got a mysterious $5 promotion, not as bragging or anything. Some people just need to relax a little and not take everything so personally, or be so damn impatient. 2.5 hours DOES NOT equal "never".
Old 11-18-11, 01:19 PM

The issue isn't that you had to work, but the mysterious "promotion" you had referenced and apparently have no idea what it was. It's odd that it rang up that way for you, but if no one else can get it, it shouldn't be mentioned. (It's also annoying when people post something like, "I got this videogame for $35," and when they're finally pinned down, they mention they had a $25 gift card.)
If I had known what the promotion was I would have included that in my post. Not knowing what it was, how could I possibly know that "no one else can get it?" Indeed, how do you know that? Should I have waited until the deal was dead and everyone else had posted to see if anyone else mentioned an additional discount? Oh wait, they wouldn't, because they're not supposed to mention discounts no one else can get, and they couldn't possibly know that until....

I thought the point of this forum was for users to post information hoping that others might benefit.
Old 11-18-11, 07:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ordered from Amazon last night on my way home from work. Came home from work tonight and they were sitting on my doorstep
Old 11-18-11, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
I'm just learning about 3D now, and I've only looked at 3 3D movies (looked at being sampled sections rather than watched the whole movie yet): PotC 4, Cars 2 and Disney's A Christmas Carol. Those looked good to me. So, are you saying that a lot of 3D movies are worthless? Are those ones where the 3D was added later so only the special effects are in 3D? I don't even know how they would convert a normal 2D movie to 3D since you'd have to be able to digitally separate every object in every scene, place them at a distance in the computer, and then redo the scene digitally. I did go to Wikipedia and print a list of all 3D movies and start making notes as it says which ones were 2D conversions. I just bought Chicken Little 3D at Fry's and I hope that all of the Disney 3D movies are re-renderings with the second viewpoint. It sounds like I'm going to have to read EVERY 3D BD review in order to find out which ones are "good" 3D vs. "bad" 3D unless someone has a list or website saying which 3D movies are good vs. which aren't. More stuff to do that I don't have time for.

To me to be a good 3D movie simply means that it has to look like it was filmed in 3D so that everything in the picture has a different distance. I don't like it when movies are made specifically to startle me in 3D.
Well, in terms of 3D, the very first thing you need to determine is if the movie was actually filmed in 3D. Obviously, those films would be the absolute best to watch on a home theater system with a 3D TV. Pirates 4 was actually filmed in 3D (I actually thought it was a conversion, but I was corrected on that). Thats why its reviews in the format are stellar.

If a movie wasnt filmed in 3D, its a conversion after the fact and some companies do it better than others. IMO, Disney is THE heavyweight champion of converting non-3D films into the format. They put the time, effort and resources into making sure the conversion is done properly and they have yet to deliver a substandard product. Everybody else is chasing an honorable mention award.

My issue with Captain America and Thor is neither was filmed in 3D and the films were converted to 3D in post-production. Thats why only portions of the film are even worthwhile in the format. IMO, its a waste of money to buy a film being sold in 3D and the entire film shown isnt of 3D quality.

As the production companies took advantage of the 3D market and over -saturated the public with films in the format, it essentially devalued the notion of 3D. Many people view it as a novelty, rather than what it should be, which is the next wave of filming and viewing motion pictures.

3D as a whole is hit or miss and everyone's opinions will differ. I'm a believer in movies shot in 3D, but not so much in post-production conversions, unless its being done by Disney.

Other than the Asgard scenes in Thor, where the colors are phenomenal, there is nothing to the 3D in Thor. And the Asgard colors alone arent worth the extra 10 bucks or so the 3D BD version costs over the standard BD version. If your TV is legit, you wont miss much of anything.

But thats my take. As the saying goes here, YMMV.
Old 11-18-11, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Ordered from Amazon last night on my way home from work. Came home from work tonight and they were sitting on my doorstep
Same here.. long live Amazon Prime.
Old 11-18-11, 09:21 PM

I ordered 'em both and got them free!

Items (2): $31.98
Shipping & Handling: $3.97
Super Saver Discount: -$3.97
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $31.98
Amount Paid via Gift Card Balance: -$31.98
Amount Owed: $0.00

Apparently, I had this mysterious gift card balance thing which made my total 0!
It's fantastic!
Old 11-18-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Same here.. long live Amazon Prime.
I ordered this morning and still haven't gotten them

Old 11-18-11, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I ordered this morning and still haven't gotten them

LOL.. you said THIS morning.. you gotta give at least a day.
Old 11-18-11, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CalebAndCo
I thought the point of this forum was for users to post information hoping that others might benefit.
Not that anyone appreciates the distinction when their Underoos are in a wad, but this...

"I'm also going the Amazon PM route and they're applying a $5 promotion to the order (over and above free shipping). Nice!

....does not equal this...

"I also went the Amazon PM route and they applied a $5 promotion to the order (over and above free shipping). Nice!"

Perhaps it's the years of my English major mother correcting my grammar or the fact that I know the difference between expression (i.e. saying what you want) and communication (i.e. ensuring the message the reader receives is what the writer intended), but your post clearly implied that that the $5 discount was something Amazon was doing. You never stated that you didn't know what prompted the discount (e.g. "They was a $5 credit listed as a promotion, though I don't know what that's about.") if you hadn't written "they're" as in "they are" then it wouldn't have made not only me wonder what the deal was?

Whatever. I should know better to expect cogent communication skills from people on the Internet where slovenly informality (in the form of atrocious spelling and grammar) and the anonymity seems to inspire a whole lot more opprobrium than the real world would tolerate.

It's just a peeve of mine, like on user-to-user forums when people post, "HELP!", as the topic instead of something like, "HELP! System won't boot after updating video drivers," which would get a hint as to what the problem requiring assistance is. My all-time, wish-I-could-punch-people-through-the-Internet moment was the moron who had a subject line like, "Unbelievable!" and then inside a link reading, "Is this for real?!?" thus requiring not one, but two clicks to find out WTF he was yammering about. When I asked why he didn't just say what he was on about, he sneered, "What? You too lazy to click?" (He's probably Occupying some park because he can't get a job with his degree in Internet D-Baggery.)
Old 11-19-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

The internet outstanding...you have a really tough time outside your home. Don't you. I pheel your pane.
Old 11-19-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever. I should know better to expect cogent communication skills from people on the Internet where slovenly informality (in the form of atrocious spelling and grammar) and the anonymity seems to inspire a whole lot more opprobrium than the real world would tolerate.
Perhaps they don't expect to be attacked because their training in the RULES of spelling and grammar do not equal you own. Perhaps everyone should live up to YOUR expectations and meet YOUR criteria for what is acceptable. Perhaps the world should conform to YOUR rules so that YOU will not be irritated.

Perhaps.
Old 11-19-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Not that anyone appreciates the distinction when their Underoos are in a wad, but this...

"I'm also going the Amazon PM route and they're applying a $5 promotion to the order (over and above free shipping). Nice!

....does not equal this...

"I also went the Amazon PM route and they applied a $5 promotion to the order (over and above free shipping). Nice!"

Perhaps it's the years of my English major mother correcting my grammar or the fact that I know the difference between expression (i.e. saying what you want) and communication (i.e. ensuring the message the reader receives is what the writer intended), but your post clearly implied that that the $5 discount was something Amazon was doing. You never stated that you didn't know what prompted the discount (e.g. "They was a $5 credit listed as a promotion, though I don't know what that's about.") if you hadn't written "they're" as in "they are" then it wouldn't have made not only me wonder what the deal was?

It's just a peeve of mine, like on user-to-user forums when people post, "HELP!", as the topic instead of something like, "HELP! System won't boot after updating video drivers," which would get a hint as to what the problem requiring assistance is. My all-time, wish-I-could-punch-people-through-the-Internet moment was the moron who had a subject line like, "Unbelievable!" and then inside a link reading, "Is this for real?!?" thus requiring not one, but two clicks to find out WTF he was yammering about. When I asked why he didn't just say what he was on about, he sneered, "What? You too lazy to click?" (He's probably Occupying some park because he can't get a job with his degree in Internet D-Baggery.)
Old 11-19-11, 01:17 PM

IJMSPORT, thanks for the comments on 3D. When I finally finished work last night, I spent at least an hour reading some 3D BD FAQs (there's some good info over at Cnet). There are various out of date or incomplete lists (Wikipedia comes the closest to being accurate) which say which were filmed in 3D vs. converted, but I'd say at least half the entries are blank. I've noted that Thor and Captain America aren't worth going out of one's way to get 3D versions, whereas every Disney 3D BD (except Chicken Little which I bought but haven't opened) has great reviews.

I attempted to find info on how these movies were actually converted, but wasn't too successful. One mentioned that the 2D image was projected onto 3D models (I assume in the computer vs. literally projected with a projector onto clay or plastic models). Others said that the computer renderer was simply run again with a different right eye. Well, they actually said the left eye was moved too. You'd think they'd just take the existing image for one eye and then re-render the entire movie on the computer for the second eye over the equivalent of 2.5" in the shot. How they did the conversion on movies made before they were fully generated on computers is beyond me.

Regardless, the bottomline is that on all 3D BDs, before you buy you have to dig for info to find if they were conversions and then read a bunch of reviews to see if they were good conversions. There's no single info source to make it easy.

I don't suppose anyone knows if Chicken Little 3D BD looks OK (little ghosting or crosstalk) on a LG 55LW5600? While almost all reviews said the 3D version had awful ghosting, a few comments said CERTAIN TVs did not show the ghosting. Too bad there's no list of the model numbers of those certain TVs.
Old 11-19-11, 01:31 PM

I would just take the chance on Chicken Little 3D if you want it. After all, its Disney and they dont do half-ass work, ever, even on 2nd and 3rd tier titles like that. If their name is on it, its going to be a true representation of both their product and reputation.
Old 11-19-11, 01:52 PM

I would just take the chance on Chicken Little 3D if you want it. After all, its Disney and they dont do half-ass work, ever, even on 2nd and 3rd tier titles like that. If their name is on it, its going to be a true representation of both their product and reputation.
Did you read any of the Chicken Little 3D BD reviews? They are almost universally awful saying it's constant bad ghosting, and some claim it was in the original 3D conversion as shown in the theatre. I find it hard to believe a 3D theatrical conversion could be as bad as people say, but what do I know? It would be a definite return to Fry's except for various comments attached to some reviews say that people didn't see any ghosting on certain TVs. If only I knew if my TV were not affected. So I'm having trouble deciding. $19.49 is a lot if it's a 3D I can't stand to watch because of ghosting.
Old 11-19-11, 02:02 PM

What kind of TV do you have?
Old 11-19-11, 04:28 PM

What kind of TV do you have?
LG 55LW5600 as mentioned in my 2nd post above. I doubt anyone else here has the same TV and has watched Chicken Little 3D BD on it.
Old 11-19-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if the standard DVD's that come with these are the same as the regular DVD's sold separately?
Old 11-19-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will these be any cheaper anywhere else this BF?
Old 11-20-11, 12:14 AM

Dutin.. I doubt it. Its possible, but I havent seen anything advertising them as door busters or anything else. They certainly wont be in the $10 range, maybe ever. The equivalent disc for Iron Man 2 never went below $17.99 and thats over a year old.
Old 11-20-11, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Does anyone know if the standard DVD's that come with these are the same as the regular DVD's sold separately?
Without knowing for 100% certainly, I'd be willing to say yes. I cant see the film companies producing a different set of DVDs just to include them in BD packaging.

Besides, DVD is a dying format. On a decent day, you can buy a 100 pack of them for 20 bucks. If the consumer is paying .20 a disc, what is Sony or Universal paying when they buy millions? Not much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.