Reload this Page >

Best Buy Black Friday ad

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Black Friday ad

Old 11-24-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Black Friday ad

After 2 hours of intense frustration on Monday, I ordered most of the BF stuff I wanted from BB. I missed a couple things which became available again earlier today. They also had odd $2.99 and $7.99 games pop up and disappear. The best was the Ben Hur CE set for $10.99... I hope mine ships. BB has gotten most of my business because they're having free shipping on any amount. Everything I ordered on Monday and Tuesday has already shipped. I'm about to be deluged with lots of BB.com packages soon. I may return a handful of items but I plan to keep most of them (unless there are some surprise in-store BF deals).

So, BB has just moved up a notch in my opinion (not that they rank particularly high right now but they're improving) whereas Target just went down a couple notches yesterday with their refusal to PM the Lord of the Rings EE BD set to Fry's ad with the "we don't match 1 day only sales" excuse. Having PM'd numerous 1 day only sales ads (which is Fry's normal ad except on Fridays) at Target numerous times, this was a new one, and I wasn't happy. I went all the way up the chain of command to make sure they were serious. So Target will only PM Fry's Friday ad. I posted a few details about this in the LOTR and Fry's threads (which I doubt anybody will read).

It's worth it to pay the tax to be able to return it in store if I change my mind rather than pay a few dollars of return shipping to Amazon. Not having Prime also reduced my Amazon purchases greatly since hitting $25 order is difficult.

Apparently the Polar Express 3D went in stock very briefly and out of stock at BB. It was at Amazon last I looked, but the reviews of its 3D weren't that great, so it's still tough for me to pay $17.99 for a 3D BD.
Old 11-24-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Citizen Kane: 70th Anniversary Edition - $10.99 (INSANE!)
Ben Hur: 50th Anniversary UCE - $10.99 (INSANER!)
Aw crap. Was it ever mentioned earlier that this was going to be a deal? Nothing like wandering in hours late to see you missed on something like this. Damn.
Old 11-24-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I am trying to decide if it's worth treking out to Best Buy at midnight to search for the Citizen Kane and Ben-hur sets, which are the steal of the season so far. I might get thrashed around by campers looking for big ticket items but am imagining few are gunning for those Blus at B&M.
It really is a crapshoot. Last year, I waited in line at Target for the LOTR set (I had to go to Big Lots anyway at 6). Anyway I was pretty far back in the line and it took me a good 15 minutes to get in. I made a bee-line to DVDs and picked up 2 . I think if there is no signage, you may have a chance. If it is marked I doubt you will have too much chance, but like you said people wait in lines for the big-ticket items for the most part.
Old 11-24-11, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Aw crap. Was it ever mentioned earlier that this was going to be a deal? Nothing like wandering in hours late to see you missed on something like this. Damn.
I saw it by combing thru the website, but didn't mention it as I didn't want to decrease my chances of getting it.

Unfortunately I had to sleep and by the time they finally got around to making the sale live at around 4:30 in the morning (PT)....well, by the time I woke up at 5:30 they were long gone anyway.
Old 11-24-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
....Apparently the Polar Express 3D went in stock very briefly and out of stock at BB. It was at Amazon last I looked, but the reviews of its 3D weren't that great, so it's still tough for me to pay $17.99 for a 3D BD.
It's tough for me to pay over $4 for it on Blu-ray. I still have my Polar Express on HD DVD. Still works, and I'm watching it this year.

EDIT: Mad Men S1 & S2 Blu-ray are now available at Best Buy again.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-24-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any opinions on the 60 inch Sharp for $799? Really want to pull the trigger...
Old 11-24-11, 05:36 PM

It's a sharp.

I'd spend $200 more and get the Samsung LED 55"
Old 11-24-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
It's a sharp.

I second this recommendation. Love my Samsung and my Panasonic (soon to be Samsung and two Panasonics).
Old 11-24-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Citizen Kane isn't the Ultimate edition. I'm okay with missing out on it.
Old 11-24-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It still includes the movie in a digibook and under $11, that's a good deal.
Old 11-24-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
It still includes the movie in a digibook and under $11, that's a good deal.
It's a good deal but far from one of the best deals. I think the Mad Men seasons at $8.99 are the best this year, in my opinion.
Old 11-24-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
It's a sharp.

Or spend $200 less and get the Panny TC-P50S30 50" plasma.
Old 11-24-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Whew! I was really bumming about missing these.
Old 11-24-11, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I am trying to decide if it's worth treking out to Best Buy at midnight to search for the Citizen Kane and Ben-hur sets, which are the steal of the season so far. I might get thrashed around by campers looking for big ticket items but am imagining few are gunning for those Blus at B&M.
does anyone think they will be this price in store?
Old 11-25-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

It's worth a try to find out.
Old 11-25-11, 12:10 AM

C'mon, somebody in the eastern time zone must have tried by now. Let us know if it's worth a drive to BB for those two BR sets? Are they for sale at the same great price ($10.99) in the stores?
Old 11-25-11, 12:38 AM
Cool New Member

Ben-Hur UCE was marked at 59.99 in store, didn't see what it rang up as but the shelf sticker said full price. Didnt check CK as I've already got it.

Did grab LoTR EE for $50. Midnight openings brought a lot more people out than in previous years, but most were going for the bigger items. I left the store at 12:50 and there was still a line of 200+ waiting to get in b/c they had the max amount of people in the store
Old 11-25-11, 12:50 AM

Best Buy finally put up $9.99 Deathly Hollows Part 2 Blu to add to cart. No reason now for me to go into town tomorrow.
Old 11-25-11, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lije Baley
C'mon, somebody in the eastern time zone must have tried by now. Let us know if it's worth a drive to BB for those two BR sets? Are they for sale at the same great price ($10.99) in the stores?
Just got home. Yes, they are.

Careful, though:

There are two versions of Ben-Hur. One with a little statuette and one without. The one with the statuette is the one on sale. The other is full price.
Old 11-25-11, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Goofus593
Ben-Hur UCE was marked at 59.99 in store, didn't see what it rang up as but the shelf sticker said full price. Didnt check CK as I've already got it.
Both rang up at $10.99. The staff I had check the price for me didn't even know it because it "wasn't on their list."
Old 11-25-11, 01:35 AM

Harry Potter up on website now.
Old 11-25-11, 01:47 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Found both Citizen Kane and Ben-hur at my local Best Buy behind a long wrapped around the store line so stashed them in hopes of returning in a few hours to reclaim them. Store pick-up is still inactive.

Edit: Went back to collect them; mission successful. On return I noticed a tag in the front of the store advertising the Ben-hur set.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-25-11 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 02:21 AM

Well, silly me. I drove the 10-minute trip to Best Buy and Target (side-by-side), arriving at midnight. BB's doors had just opened, but there was a line at least 1/2 mile long of folks waiting to get in. Ben-Hur and Citizen Kane just aren't worth that long a wait.

How late does the sale run tomorrow? Maybe I'll return later to discover no one else in this podunk town cares about old movies (not likely with UC Davis 8 miles away).
Old 11-25-11, 03:27 AM

I got screwed on the Ben Hur set.

I went in, the tag was on the shelf for the 2 disc version (regularly like $39.99 or something), so I grabbed that and a few others and hopped in line. In line for about 15 minutes before I get to the register. The version I grabbed rang up full price. Stopped them there and told them there was a tag up for $10.99 right under it for Ben Hur. The guy in charge of the lines said, "I'm not discounting it." I told him I could grab the more expensive version that the website shows on sale really quick and he said "I'm not holding up my line" The cashier even looked it up on the website and it shown the more expensive one on sale. The supervisor guy said that it was clearly a mistake and that best buy wouldn't honor it. So, I paid for the other movies and went back for the ultimate collectors edition, went back to the supervisor and told him that this was apparently the one on sale and asked him if I needed to stand back in line or what. He looked at me and said yes. At this point the line was at least 3 times longer than the one I was just in so I went over his head.

I then grabbed the ultimate collectors edition, took it to the register in computers with one of the managers who punched in the sku and it came up $59.99, wouldn't type "Ben Hur" into the website to see the pic of the box set, the sku on the box came up with another edition.

I'll be back there later today to deal with them on this. I don't care which one I get, I just want a damn copy of the movie. I don't really need the extra packaging, just want them to honor the price on the shelf, or the website.
Old 11-25-11, 03:45 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The only Ben Hur ultimate set on sale is the Best Buy exclusive ultimate set. It has a small metal figure in it.

Last edited by g; 11-25-11 at 03:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.