Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

B&N 50% Criterion sale on blu-rays now live!

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B&N 50% Criterion sale on blu-rays now live!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: B&N 50% Criterion sale on blu-rays now live!

Bummer. I have received no 25% Off email yet!
Old 11-11-11, 03:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My previous semi-self-righteous post notwithstanding, I thought I'd go ahead and try my luck on the $8-off-$40 coupon, determined to not be a dick about it if there was any resistance whatsoever.

Went to my local B&N and was happy to find a copy of "Fanny and Alexander" in stock. Presented my membership card, and the aforementioned coupon. Sweated it out a minute or so as the new cashier fumbled about, but this apparently was all to do with his lack of experience and not my coupon. Another csr came over to assist him, told him how to enter the coupon, and then he entered it without blinking.

As he printed my receipt, he said "Geez, you sure did save a lot of money!"

"Yup!" I said, as I grabbed my transparent plastic bag and exited the store, feeling kinda victorious/dirty.

$19.00 for a brand new Blu of F&A seems like it should be illegal, but I will not complain!

My tally so far:

Fanny & Alexander
Salo
Blowout
By Brakhage
Monterey Pop Festival Set
Carlos
The Leopard
Paths of Glory
If...
Dazed and Confused
Eclipse: Nikkatsu Noir set
El Norte (digi)
The Last Emperor (digi)
upgrade copy of Last Year at Marienbad (as mine was kinda crinkly)

And now...I'm spent. UNLESS I get a 25% coupon, in which case I may go back for the Three Colors box when it hits. But as it stands I feel like I've gotten more than my fair share of bargains, and I have enough movies to keep me happy for several months.
Old 11-11-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used my 25% coupon to buy Cronos. It's really the only Criterion I was looking to buy during the sale so I'm glad I got it.
Old 11-12-11, 06:55 AM

So far for this sale I have picked up:

Diabolique
The Naked Kiss
Kiss Me Deadly
Dazed and Confused
Black Moon

Might go for one more... maybe Antichrist or upgrade Fear and Loathing or Videodrome
Old 11-12-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fanny and Alexander and Phantom Carriage so far for me - hoping for another 15%/25% coupon to use on Harakiri before the 21st.
Old 11-12-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
I'm always amused by ass-umptions made by people. I have coerced no cashiers nor have I ever quoted the consumers bill of rights. I try a coupon and if it doesn't work, I try a different one. And if it does work, I use it until I've bought all I want. If I get told that it's once per customer, I use it once per day.

I don't consider my habits monstrous. I don't buy extra copies for resale and I'm hardly to blame for coupon abuse in years past. I've been going to the same group of cashiers at the same store and they also think I'm silly for buying so many movies (as do the cashiers at Bug Lots who also know me by sight for buying 50-60 movies there every month).

I'm sorry if my purchasing habits offend, but this is a discussion group, not a name-calling one. That being said, I will continue to chart my progress towards owning them all. And since they keep making more, I'll keep on talking for quite a while.

Hey Peep how many movies u have in your collection. Do u have a DVDAficionado account. I like seeing other peoples collections sometimes. I buy at Big Lots a lot too. I think they know me pretty well since i spend 40minutes analyzing every single DVD in the rack.
Old 11-12-11, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm always amused by ass-umptions made by people. I have coerced no cashiers nor have I ever quoted the consumers bill of rights. I try a coupon and if it doesn't work, I try a different one. And if it does work, I use it until I've bought all I want. If I get told that it's once per customer, I use it once per day.

I don't consider my habits monstrous. I don't buy extra copies for resale and I'm hardly to blame for coupon abuse in years past. I've been going to the same group of cashiers at the same store and they also think I'm silly for buying so many movies (as do the cashiers at Bug Lots who also know me by sight for buying 50-60 movies there every month).

I'm sorry if my purchasing habits offend, but this is a discussion group, not a name-calling one. That being said, I will continue to chart my progress towards owning them all. And since they keep making more, I'll keep on talking for quite a while.
For the most part, I agree with your comments but I do find a little humor/irony in it.
Old 11-12-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I just noticed Rules of the Game, and Three Colors Trilogy are showing up at 50% off on bn.com, even though they don't come out until Tuesday.

This gives hope for those of us afraid we'd miss Rushmore and 12 Angry Men this time around.
Old 11-12-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I just noticed Rules of the Game, and Three Colors Trilogy are showing up at 50% off on bn.com, even though they don't come out until Tuesday.
Any title released during the sale window is 50% off.
Old 11-12-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
Hey Peep how many movies u have in your collection. Do u have a DVDAficionado account. I like seeing other peoples collections sometimes. I buy at Big Lots a lot too. I think they know me pretty well since i spend 40minutes analyzing every single DVD in the rack.
According to DVDprofiler, 5881. And I don't open them until I watch them, so I have a few thousand unopened at least. I just bought 6 more 3D Blu-ray titles tonight and I don't have a 3D TV.
Old 11-12-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
For the most part, I agree with your comments but I do find a little humor/irony in it.
"Bug Lots" was a typo. The other comment was in response to the attack directed at me. And the ridiculous unfounded assumption.
Old 11-12-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I asp bought 12 discs at BL last night and ordered from Deep Discount today and bought 2 Blu-rays just at Target.
Old 11-12-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Added Fanny and Alexander for $19 on top of 15 from last week. I love this sale.
Old 11-12-11, 11:36 PM

3 more today. 11 total. Two more to go. Sigh...this sale destroys my wallet.
Old 11-13-11, 01:15 AM

I used the 25% off coupon today at Barnes & Noble and bought "Repulsion" on Criterion BR for $13.50 + tax. Unfortunately, the cashier was unable to individually discount 25% off each BR so instead of planning to buy 3, I only ended up buying just that one tonight. I assume the coupon only works once a day so I will try tommorow again as the coupon expires on 11/13.

On an amusing side note, the cashier mentioned that her boyfriend absolutely loves the Criterion 50%-off sales, hates missing them and that he's a film student at a local university. I mentioned that I graduated with a four year degree in "Film Studies" at that same college and she thought that I was a film teacher, seeing that I am in love with the Criterion collection. Ha ha.

Last edited by jw007; 11-13-11 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 01:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jw007
I used the 25% off coupon today at Barnes & Noble and bought "Repulsion" on Criterion BR for $13.50 + tax. Unfortunately, the cashier was unable to individually discount 25% off each BR so instead of planning to buy 3, I only ended up buying just that one tonight. I assume the coupon only works once a day so I will try tommorow again as the coupon expires on 11/13.

On an amusing side note, the cashier mentioned that her boyfriend absolutely loves the Criterion 50%-off sales, hates missing them and that he's a film student at a local university. I mentioned that I graduated with a four year degree in "Film Studies" at that same college and she thought that I was a film teacher, seeing that I am in love with the Criterion collection. Ha ha.
I also picked up Repulsion today using the 25% off coupon. Crazy that it took me so long to buy this title considering it was one of the first released by Criterion on blu-ray.
Old 11-13-11, 02:27 PM
Cool New Member

Used 25% coupon to buy Salo. I am clearly insane.
Old 11-14-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up The Killing with my single 25% off coupon (from four accounts). Also purchased Cinema Paradiso (w/20% off coupon) for $5.99 shipped and Amelie (w/15% off coupon) for $8.49 shipped.

Oh yeah, and I watch the movies I purchase. A movie at any price that you don't watch isn't a bargain.
Old 11-14-11, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

Is there no more active printable coupons for non-members or non-American Express holders? I was hoping to pick up Three Colors tomorrow on the way home, but there doesn't seem to be any coupons I can stack to sweeten the deal.
Old 11-14-11, 11:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

According to DVDprofiler, 5881. And I don't open them until I watch them, so I have a few thousand unopened at least. I just bought 6 more 3D Blu-ray titles tonight and I don't have a 3D TV.
Cool, I'm in the 1500 range. Most are opened but some are still shrink wrapped. I think having them unopened might work best in case u want to sell them later on. But some special editions are nice opening and looking at them.
Old 11-14-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Opinion on 'Identification of a Woman' ? TIA
Old 11-14-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Used my 25% coupon to buy Cronos. It's really the only Criterion I was looking to buy during the sale so I'm glad I got it.
Ditto, for $13.50. Also interested in videodrome and possibly fanny og alexander. I also saw one with John Travolta, but I forgot the title. I think it was by Brian De Palma, but I don't know if it is any good.
Old 11-14-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sotra
Ditto, for $13.50. Also interested in videodrome and possibly fanny og alexander. I also saw one with John Travolta, but I forgot the title. I think it was by Brian De Palma, but I don't know if it is any good.
Blow Out. It's one of De Palma's better ones, IMO.
Old 11-14-11, 11:04 PM

Today I got away yet again using the 20%-off AMEX-only coupon using my Visa card. This is the second cashier who didn't seem to notice what kind of credit card I was using and I ended up saving several extra dollars yet again. I bought The Phantom Carriage and KES on Criterion BR. Each was $14.40+tax. Total came out to about $30.

I still have 4 titles left I want to buy including the big box set America Lost and Found which is $62 after the 50% off discount. Does anyone else own this too? If so, any opinions on it? I think its a great deal and the fact that Easy Rider is included is really the main reason I want to buy this.
Old 11-14-11, 11:20 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The America Lost and Found set is great. Not only does it have Easy Rider, but other fantastic films like Last Picture Show, and Five Easy Pieces. And the also the crazy movie Head. It is a great choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.