Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

B&N 50% Criterion sale on blu-rays now live!

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

B&N 50% Criterion sale on blu-rays now live!

Old 11-08-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: B&N 50% Criterion sale on blu-rays now live!

^^^I hear yah. I sold a few DVDs to buy my upcoming Oppo BDP-93 and a GTX 580 video card. Not sure if this will happen with Blu-ray movies, but I definitely came out better than expected--and it was unintentional.
Old 11-08-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Perhaps some do rub them on their naked body at night.
I thought I was the only one! That's the primary reason I'm glad Criterion switched from the cheap cardboard cases - they always irritated my skin.
Old 11-08-11, 09:39 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we are in the beginning stages of buying a house and trying to downsize our material items, trying hard to only bring things in that I know is something I'll get multiple viewings out of....so this sale for me:

Kuroneko
Fanny and Alexander
3 Women
Salo
Dazed and Confused
Island of Lost Souls
The Phantom Carriage
The Complete Jean Vigo
The Battle of Algiers

Then about 8 DVDs/
Old 11-08-11, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Since we are in the beginning stages of buying a house and trying to downsize our material items, trying hard to only bring things in that I know is something I'll get multiple viewings out of....so this sale for me:

Kuroneko
Fanny and Alexander
3 Women
Salo
Dazed and Confused
Island of Lost Souls
The Phantom Carriage
The Complete Jean Vigo
The Battle of Algiers

Then about 8 DVDs/
Kept it to just the essentials, huh?
Old 11-08-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bse

Kuroneko
Fanny and Alexander
3 Women
Salo
Dazed and Confused
Island of Lost Souls
The Phantom Carriage
The Complete Jean Vigo
The Battle of Algiers

Then about 8 DVDs/
Multiple viewsings of Salo? I can't bring myself to watch it once.
Old 11-08-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
I'd like to see what an all out onslaught on the Criterion section would look like.
Old 11-08-11, 10:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to buy in bursts (usually coinciding with these sorts of sales) but I leave the movies sealed until I have a chance to watch them. Mind you, I don't buy them INTENDING to keep them sealed; I buy movies because I love watching them. However, there have been occasions where a movie had gone out of print or I needed some quick cash or what have you, and having kept it sealed paid big dividends. However, If I had gotten around to opening it and viewing it before a price spike, I wouldn't have kicked myself.

If I blind buy, it is generally due to a connection to a director, star or producer that I admire. However, Criterion is one of the few companies that I will blind buy due to the consistent quality of the releases. I have rarely been disappointed, and even when I didn't love a CC flick, I generally at least found it interesting. And when blind buying with a sale like this, if I end up with a movie I really don't care for, it's generally not a problem to get all, most, or more than my money back on eBay. Criterions generally hold their value, as long as you pick them up at a good price initially.

Therefore, this latest sale has lead to my blind-buying a few things and upgrading others. It's been a lot of fun.

I don't have the patience to go back and find the original post (it may not have even been this thread), but to the poster who wanted to know if B&N had any of the digipak flicks, mine (Louisville, KY) still had a handful.

I like the Digipaks, so I went ahead and picked up El Norte and The Last Emperor to round out my collection (am now just missing Man Who Fell to Earth), as well as a new copy of the digi of Last Year at Marienbad, because the sides on my cases were creased and my OCD was driving me up a wall over it. It's otherwise in nice shape, so I figured I could dump my dinged copy on eBay after this sale is over for a fair price, and keep this pristine copy for myself. Besides, I really like the flick, and that simple white case with the embossed title is really very striking. They also had 400 Blows and Last Metro in Digis, but I didn't need them. Otherwise everything was standard case.

Also, the CSR at my B&N actually THANKED me for not being pushy about coupons. That's a first. As I told him, I'm not greedy. 50% plus 10% off (for my membership, in store) and 20% off one item was more than enough for me. I don't have the patience to make multiple trips, or the desire to haggle, and it was interesting to have a relieved CSR actually thank me for not being pushy when I presented my coupon. Seemed to validate my decision to not be a dick.

Have fun with the sale, kids. I will probably try to grab F&A if a 25% off coupon hits, but otherwise I've spent enough to keep me poor and well-occupied for a while!
Old 11-09-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Does anyone know how many Criterion Blus are currently out right now not counting pre-releases? 100 maybe?, I only got like 15 with 9 during this haul and the BBS Box set (which I count as 1) being my fave of all the Criterion Blus.
Old 11-09-11, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by F For Fake
Also, the CSR at my B&N actually THANKED me for not being pushy about coupons. That's a first. As I told him, I'm not greedy. 50% plus 10% off (for my membership, in store) and 20% off one item was more than enough for me. I don't have the patience to make multiple trips, or the desire to haggle, and it was interesting to have a relieved CSR actually thank me for not being pushy when I presented my coupon. Seemed to validate my decision to not be a dick.
Heh. Yeah, I got away with Cronos and House Blus yesterday for approx. $17 each with the 50%, my membership, and one of those 20% off coupons. A week or so ago in another local store, I picked up The Seven Samurai and Merry Christmas, Mr. L Blus and Burden of Dreams.

I don't push my luck, either, and I also don't have an unlimited budget many on here seem to. So this is probably it for me this sale.
Old 11-09-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Does anyone know how many Criterion Blus are currently out right now not counting pre-releases? 100 maybe?, I only got like 15 with 9 during this haul and the BBS Box set (which I count as 1) being my fave of all the Criterion Blus.
http://www.criterion.com/library/exp...&pp=25&s=title
Old 11-09-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Picked up Fanny and Alexander for $19 yesterday. Gonna pick up Salo and Au Revoir Les Enfants this weekend using the 25% off coupon, and then Three Colors and Rules of the Game next Tuesday and I'll be done....hopefully.
Old 11-09-11, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Salo --- Will require a few weeks of prayer before I finally watch it.

I bought this too, Watched it.. and was like, "what's the big deal?" then it got to a part that I would like to unwatch... but overall the movie isn't terrible. Just not my cup of tea.. but I don't regret watching it.
Old 11-09-11, 09:30 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
essential for one is not essential for all, obviously.
Old 11-09-11, 12:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bse
essential for one is not essential for all, obviously.
Like the line from Ghost World-

Seymour: "I've got about 1500 78's at this point. I've tried to pare down my collection to just the essentials."
Old 11-09-11, 02:38 PM

Went to 2 different stores and was able to use $8 off coupon for Carlos at one and Yojimbo/Sanjuro at the other. Both instance they were like this doesn't work and I politely stated the coupon is vague but it says off sell price and says the price before all other discounts. They tried the coupon and were like "It seems to work". So got lucky

In my amazement of it all I went to use another coupon at one location and the clerk was OK with it, but in my dumba**-ness totally didn't look at the fact that the 20% off one was expired. She pointed it out to me and was like "You want to put it back". I said no and just got it with the members 10% off. I figure got a good deal on the 2 it was ok to pay the price which no matter what is still great. I bought Chungking Express I have wanted to see it, the preview online looks good so blindbuy or not interested in watching.

Last edited by stiroe; 11-09-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no problem using the $8 coupon for Fanny and Alexander to get it for $19 plus tax. The clerk said he didn't think it would work but he would try to apply it. After it worked, he said "That is a good deal!" I agreed. Many thanks to LASERMOVIES for keeping up with the B&N coupons like he does. Saves me a lot of time and money. I appreciate your help LASERMOVIES.
Old 11-10-11, 01:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I had no problem using the $8 coupon for Fanny and Alexander to get it for $19 plus tax. The clerk said he didn't think it would work but he would try to apply it. After it worked, he said "That is a good deal!" I agreed. Many thanks to LASERMOVIES for keeping up with the B&N coupons like he does. Saves me a lot of time and money. I appreciate your help LASERMOVIES.
Same here. Picked up Fanny & Alexander for $19 and change.
Old 11-10-11, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha, check your mail folks. I just received a 25% off coupon. Unfortunately, I bought the two Criterions I was really interested in with the 15% off puppy. However, I might go snag Seven Samurai now. At $18.75 w/coupon that is darn tempting to upgrade my dvd.
Old 11-10-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My haul from the sale (I'm done.):
The Killing
Dazed & Confused
Salo
Cul-De-Sac
Kuroneko
Island of Lost Souls
If....

Interestingly, my shipment of Kuroneko & Island of Lost Souls showed up today. In the box was The Hurt Locker and Restrepo.
Back to B&N they go. I've never had to return anything to them, I hope it's not too big of a pain.
Old 11-10-11, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
Picked up Fanny and Alexander for $19 yesterday. Gonna pick up Salo and Au Revoir Les Enfants this weekend using the 25% off coupon, and then Three Colors and Rules of the Game next Tuesday and I'll be done....hopefully.
John, I just got the 25% coupon via email, but it says for 1 item only. Are you referring to a different one?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

6 left to go.

Picked up Battle of Algiers for $15.76
Double Life of Véronique for $10.88
Old 11-10-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
I like collecting things and these are great to collect. Just because I haven't opened any of them yet doesn't mean I never will. If movie collectors piss you off, I recommend skipping a lot of topics at DVDtalk.

I also own most of the DVD releases put out by Blue Underground, almost all of the MGM Midnight movies and near complete runs of a few other choice series.
i'm all for collecting films...i have almost 900 myself, including 270ish Criterions. However, buying 142 blu rays based on the company that released them is idiotic, only having opened one of them since you'd bought them is beyond idiotic.

I supposed I'm most annoyed by your ongoing bragging about abusing coupons and leading to this (posted in the bn coupon thread):
I managed to talk to somebody who works much higher in the corporate ladder (a regional sales manager) and got this tidbit. The $8 off $40 coupon will no longer exist by next Criterion sale and absolutely no (wording will be changed so you can't use it on sale or discounted items) coupons will be permitted on future Criterion sales. Rampant abuse by consumers in this Criterion sale have caused this decision to come down, mentioned the abuse of the $5 off $20 a year or two ago. The fine print is pretty clear and the coercion to the cashier and use of "the customer is always right" and spouting the consumer bill of rights to the store management has really pissed off a lot of people, nothing they can do this sale but future sales are pretty much no go.
Old 11-10-11, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
i'm all for collecting films...i have almost 900 myself, including 270ish Criterions. However, buying 142 blu rays based on the company that released them is idiotic, only having opened one of them since you'd bought them is beyond idiotic.

I supposed I'm most annoyed by your ongoing bragging about abusing coupons and leading to this (posted in the bn coupon thread):
I suppose I'm most annoyed by the constant judging some have for others who do not share their habit of purchasing movies as if somehow they are better because their buying habits are different.

Also, it is up the the store managers whether they will accept coupons or not. These people are not deliberately defrauding BN (as far as I know) and are simply taking advantage of what is available to maximize their savings. Yes, it may not be the intention of BN that these were used the way they were (we really don't know, unless we take your quote as being a legitimate conversation with BN management (it may well be) ), but again we can't be 100% sure. IF any of you feel that you are defrauding BN, please consult the store manager before purchasing to ease you conscience.

We sure as hell don't want to annoy anyone. And we sure don't want to be "idiotic".
Old 11-11-11, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm always amused by ass-umptions made by people. I have coerced no cashiers nor have I ever quoted the consumers bill of rights. I try a coupon and if it doesn't work, I try a different one. And if it does work, I use it until I've bought all I want. If I get told that it's once per customer, I use it once per day.

I don't consider my habits monstrous. I don't buy extra copies for resale and I'm hardly to blame for coupon abuse in years past. I've been going to the same group of cashiers at the same store and they also think I'm silly for buying so many movies (as do the cashiers at Bug Lots who also know me by sight for buying 50-60 movies there every month).

I'm sorry if my purchasing habits offend, but this is a discussion group, not a name-calling one. That being said, I will continue to chart my progress towards owning them all. And since they keep making more, I'll keep on talking for quite a while.
Old 11-11-11, 07:33 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyR
John, I just got the 25% coupon via email, but it says for 1 item only. Are you referring to a different one?

Thanks.
I made that post before it was known that it would be a one time use coupon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.