Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Trade And Save - Oct. 9 - Oct. 29th

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: Best Buy Trade And Save - Oct. 9 - Oct. 29th

Originally Posted by Manzana
Since this deal is going through 10/29, I assume the only difference week to week is which BDs are on sale for a better price?
Pretty much. Although last time, they did add one or two titles to the list over the life of the promotion.

Originally Posted by Manzana
I was pretty amazed they were handing out coupons with the same barcode. Someone here already admitted to copying and using them, so I'm amazed BB doesn't have a lot of problems with that. Maybe they'll soon wise up and find a way to tie them to your Rewards account instead.
Technically, if you read the fine print on the coupon, you are supposed to present a recycling receipt along with the coupon, when you redeem the coupon. Of course, it's up to the cashier to enforce the presence of that receipt when taking the coupon. At my Best Buy, they haven't so far.
Old 10-14-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Grindhouse
Valkyrie
Straw Dogs
Boondock Saints
Donnie Darko

....for $30.
Old 10-14-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got XMen FC, Grindhouse, and Straw Dogs for $30. The chick grabbed the movies and told me to bring the blus I want as long as theyre marked. And she rang me up. She said I had to take the blus to her so I never saw the coupon or anything.

Im surpised they took the crap I brought. Movies I got for free so its cool!
Old 10-14-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Does this offer really end on 9/29?, can I stack 3 coupons on a $9.99 title so that they end up giving me 5 bucks back?,do they accept my laserdiscs?
Old 10-15-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took in five of those promotional DVDs I got free from Best Buy in the past (Superbad, 300, Hellboy, HBO, etc..) and the clerk took them all with barely a glance. After the discount, I got:

Blues Brothers ($9.99)
Straw Dogs ($4.99)
X-Men First Class ($14.99)
Robocop ($4.99)
Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary 4-Disc set ($0.00)

(I used the $3.00 coupon on Donnie Darko, which the shelf tag said was the same $9.99 price as the regular Donnie Darko BLUray, and was expecting to get it for $1.99, but for some reason, when I got home and looked, it didn't show up on my receipt, although the coupons did, so I guess I got it for free, because I watched the guy scan it.)

Anyway, nice haul for a total of $34.32 after tax.
Old 10-15-11, 03:20 PM

I have a follow-up to my second experience. I bought Cast Away and examined the exterior today and noted it was as light as air. I opened it to find no disc. It appears to be a factory error, as the shrinkwrap and seal were intact. I called and got shockingly nice service and had a copy held for a direct exchange. I can't wait to go back and find out the whole batch had no discs. I hope not.

Check your copies of Cast Away for discs!
Old 10-17-11, 10:10 AM

Looks like they raised prices on quite a few titles. Ferris, Friday the 13th, Die Hards, etc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....questid=278875

Deal went from 'warm' to "meh".
Old 10-17-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bellevuecoug
Looks like they raised prices on quite a few titles. Ferris, Friday the 13th, Die Hards, etc.

New Version Ferris MSRP $9.99 with sticker Price. Older version sticker price MSRP $16.99. Same as Forrest Gump few new copies with Sticker Price $9.99 and Older Sticker Price $22.99.
Old 10-18-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by vivafriend5
I have a follow-up to my second experience. I bought Cast Away and examined the exterior today and noted it was as light as air. I opened it to find no disc. It appears to be a factory error, as the shrinkwrap and seal were intact. I called and got shockingly nice service and had a copy held for a direct exchange. I can't wait to go back and find out the whole batch had no discs. I hope not.

Check your copies of Cast Away for discs!
Or you could have been the victim of a returned disc that was re shrink wraped and resealed. I have had this happen several times at bestbuy, where movies i have bought have been missing discs.
Old 10-18-11, 05:40 PM

Does anyone know how to trade up to titles that the stores DON'T have. For instance, Die Hard 2 and 3
Old 10-18-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Well, that is odd. Ostensibly, you can't, since the Trade & Save only takes place in-store. I can only assume that titles like that were added to the list in error.
Old 10-18-11, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mw390
Does anyone know how to trade up to titles that the stores DON'T have. For instance, Die Hard 2 and 3
All 3 of the Best Buy's I've been to have had all of the individual Die Hard blu releases, and I purchased a set. If you're just looking on the website, the store availability for those titles is wrong. Your best bet is to call your local store and have them check the sku.
Old 10-18-11, 09:32 PM

I tried this deal yesterday. It took a while to work out. Old School and Ferris both rang up for $14.99 even though both were stickered for $9.99. The manager adjusted but then the coupons wouldn't work since the price was changed so he had to adjust them again. Finally got them for $4.99 each.
Old 10-19-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bellevuecoug

In my store they still have the same sale prices from last week. I would not go blindly by what the site says.
Old 10-19-11, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up. Today I picked up Pulp Fiction and Grindhouse for $20 plus tax.
Old 10-19-11, 10:48 PM

For those that got the Donnie Darko 4D for 1.99 + tax (w/ coupon), did the system automatically take the 5.00 coupon? My local BB said that that version of DD was not included in the promo and the coupon would not take.

Did get Ferris (after a small hassle) and POA 2001, so not a complete loss.
Old 10-19-11, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
For those that got the Donnie Darko 4D for 1.99 + tax (w/ coupon), did the system automatically take the 5.00 coupon? My local BB said that that version of DD was not included in the promo and the coupon would not take.

Did get Ferris (after a small hassle) and POA 2001, so not a complete loss.
I believe they needed an override after scanning the coupon for Donnie Darko.
Old 10-20-11, 09:13 AM

In case anyone didn't notice...Avatar Collectors/Extended Edition is on the list and is also on sale for $20 this week, making it $15 after trade-in. However, their system is screwed up and only has the theatrical version in the program instead, and the extended edition will not scan and is not on the display. Thankfully the customer service guy checked the web site and agreed that the extended is the one advertised and got his manager to give me an over-ride. A bit of a hassle, but a great deal in the end.

So far I've scored this one, Punisher 2 for $5, Rio for $15, and Grindhouse for $10. Some nice deals, but not a lot more I'm interested in and don't already have. I have to find at least 1 more as I traded 5 initially. I can't imagine my store would accept the Donnie Darko 4 disk as it's not the one advertised and they seem to be keeping pretty close tabs on eligible titles. Any other high recommendations?
Old 10-20-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
I believe they needed an override after scanning the coupon for Donnie Darko.
Override needed.
Old 10-20-11, 08:14 PM
cck

Picked up:

Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Grindhouse
Rob Roy
Platoon
Valkyrie

I brought in five dvds, but the clerk said, "Oh, sorry, the coupons are printed two for sheet so I have to give you six. But you can use them all."

Want to go back for Princess Bride, but does anybody have insight as to the quality of that January 2011 release? It's listed as "pan and scan". What?
Old 10-21-11, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
In case anyone didn't notice...Avatar Collectors/Extended Edition is on the list and is also on sale for $20 this week, making it $15 after trade-in.
Avatar EE was $12.99 new at many Blockbusters I've been to last month. They may all be OOS by now, but if you happen to be passing one that's slightly cheaper than $15 + tax.
Originally Posted by cck
Picked up:
Want to go back for Princess Bride, but does anybody have insight as to the quality of that January 2011 release? It's listed as "pan and scan". What?
While I'm not surprised there's a double dip on The Princess Bride BD already (I think they triple or quadruple dipped on the DVD), that pan & scan can't be right. The Princess Bride BD was $5 at Walmart last Black Friday. I think I've got too many editions already... 1 BD and 2 DVDs. They'd have to add something pretty "inconceivable" to get me to buy another BD of it.
Old 10-21-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by cck
I don't think there's any difference between this release and the previous one other than it used to include the DVD and this one only has the blu-ray.
Old 10-22-11, 03:35 PM

Thanks OP...I am in for X-Men & RIO using two very old, free DVDs I had lying around. No coupon printed as the security guy "tagged" my DVDs when I walked in. I picked out the blu-rays and took everything to customer service. Painless...
Old 10-22-11, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
Any other high recommendations?
The old Donnie Darko (with the same transfer) is on the list and there is a 3.00 coupon that used to be on coupons.com. You might be able to track a site down that has one. I seem to remember a post where coupons that were on coupons.com and were taken down, could be printed, but I can't find the post.
Old 10-22-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Coupons are at www.yearofamillionmoments.com/coupons

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.