DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   The Lion King 3D Diamond Edition - $27.99 at TRU, $17.99 after coupon and discount (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/595148-lion-king-3d-diamond-edition-%2427-99-tru-%2417-99-after-coupon-discount.html)

joltman 10-02-11 07:06 AM

The Lion King 3D Diamond Edition - $27.99 at TRU, $17.99 after coupon and discount

This was probably mentioned in a thread around here already, but I figure it is important enough to get it's own thread. Toys R Us will have The Lion King 3D Diamond Edition for $27.99, which means $22.99 after the $5 Disney coupon, and $17.99 if you pre-order Cars 2 (put $5 on Cars 2, get $10 off a Disney Blu-ray 19.99 or higher).
Oh, and you get a free 3D poster with it.

jiggyblau 10-02-11 11:32 AM

Re: The Lion King 3D Diamond Edition - $27.99 at TRU, $17.99 after coupon and discoun

Yes, this is my plan.

Oddly enough, I got an email today from TRU saying my Lion King 3D is delayed, even though it's not 10/4 yet.

flix1 10-02-11 12:48 PM

Re: The Lion King 3D Diamond Edition - $27.99 at TRU, $17.99 after coupon and discoun

Nice deal.

I'm going to stick with my plan to get Lion King and Beauty and the Beast at Best Buy for $20.99 each ... I went and preordered Lion King in-store yesterday, since they still had pre-order steelbooks available.

Decker 10-04-11 03:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I got Lion King 3D + $5 preorder deposit for Cars 2 3D for a total of $19 (tax included). Amazing deal. Unfortunately they had run out of 3D posters, though. I would have liked that one. :sad:

joltman 10-05-11 07:38 AM

I picked mine up, it was first rung up and the cashier said $26 something, (after the Cars 2 preorder and coupon), and I told him that was wrong, it should have been more like $18, so then he had to get a manager over, who had to talk to another manager, and then finally it rung up right. Well, mostly, it actually rang up for $15 :) There weren't any 3D posters left when I get there :(
Anyway, to make it even better, I sold the 3D disc by itself on eBay for 17.50, meaning I made $2.50 on it!

obidawsn 10-05-11 10:47 AM

It's odd that people, here, are having problems getting the poster. I seriously doubt they were sold out. They probably didn't even put them out. Most people on SD have said that there were plenty of posters. It's strange that some stores would get tons of them and others not get many, unless there was something wrong with their shipments. I got an e-mail saying that they haven't even received their copies of the movie and that they would contact me as soon as they get it in stock. I have to go by there today, anyway, so I'll just drop in and check on it. If they have it, I'll probably go ahead and get it. I got a $10 off $50 coupon in the mail, yesterday, but it doesn't start until the Oct. 7. I was considering trying it and doing this scenario:

+$27.99 Lion King
+$27.99 Lion King
+$5.00 Cars 2 pre-order
+$5.00 Cars 2 pre-order
-$5.00 DMR coupon
-$5.00 DMR coupon
-$10.00 pre-order promo
-$10.00 pre-order promo
-$10.00 mail coupon
====================
$25.98 for 2 copies of Lion King, 2 posters, and 2 Cars 2 pre-orders

So that would make it $12.99 for two copies. If I decide to use the Cars 2 pre-order or take it back, then that would make them $7.99 a piece. I'm sure I could probably sell one to make most (if not all) of my money back. If they don't have the movies in stock, today, I won't be back there until later in the week, anyway, so I'll try to use the $10 coupon in the above scenario. I might still wait and try it, but I want to make sure I get a copy and the poster (as my son would love that in his room).

yiinhc 10-05-11 11:06 AM

You would probably have problem using the $10 off $50 coupon as the discount is not automatic and the total is under $50. Manager override is required, so unless you got a really nice employee to help you...
The TRU register bumps the TLK sale price $27.99 to regular price $34.99 then take $10 off with Cars 2 pre-order. With $5 deposit and $5 MFR coupon, the total is $24.99+tax for both TLK and Cars 2 pre-order deposit. I got it for $14.99+tax as they manually took additional $10 off for pre-order, but YMMV.
p.s. After scanning TLK 3D, the register notified the cashier about the 3D poster, and I was told to pick up at the Customer Service Desk. They had a box of the posters.

obidawsn 10-05-11 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by yiinhc (Post 10952548)
You would probably have problem using the $10 off $50 coupon as the discount is not automatic and the total is under $50. Manager override is required, so unless you got a really nice employee to help you...
The TRU register bumps the TLK sale price $27.99 to regular price $34.99 then take $10 off with Cars 2 pre-order. With $5 deposit and $5 MFR coupon, the total is $24.99+tax for both TLK and Cars 2 pre-order deposit. I got it for $14.99+tax as they manually took additional $10 off for pre-order, but YMMV.
p.s. After scanning TLK 3D, the register notified the cashier about the 3D poster, and I was told to pick up at the Customer Service Desk. They had a box of the posters.

Are you sure about the discount not being automatic? I don't know why it wouldn't be. The total, before coupons, would be over $50. It just depends on how it handles the pre-order discounts. I'm wondering if you could use the $10/$50 coupon, then add the pre-orders. Your total would be over $50 when you use the coupon, but when you add the pre-orders, it would bring it back under $50. It just depends on if they could do the coupon before ringing the pre-orders or if the register would kick the coupon out afterwards. If not, your total would be $45.98 ($27.99 + $27.99 + $5 + $5 - $10 - $10). Add something for $5 and you should be able to use the $10/$50 coupon. The DMR coupons won't take away from the total that the $10/$50 coupon looks at. Previous deals where you could purchase a certain dollar amount and get a free item didn't count the DMR coupon. I did it with Princess and the Frog (free plush frogs), Toy Story 3 (free clock, popcorn tin, and even a gift card using various promotions) and Beauty and the Beast (free tea cart). I'm trying to remember the PatF deal, as I remember only paying a few bucks for it and getting the free frogs (which I believe was with a $30 purchase). So I'm pretty sure that I had to do a pre-order promotion with it and only had to add a coloring book to get it over the amount. But I could be wrong about the purchase amount to get the free item (BatB was the same way). If I have to add something for $5, I could see if there are any cheap Disney DVDs and use the $3 coupon I got in my e-mail (I did that with the TS3 promo picking up a couple of $6.99 Disney DVDs they had).

yiinhc 10-06-11 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by obidawsn (Post 10952672)
Are you sure about the discount not being automatic? I don't know why it wouldn't be.

I'm pretty sure. I also got PatF, Toy Story 3 and BatB deals from TRU, and the discouts were automatic. For TLK 3D and Cars 2, the price was $24.99+tax after pre-order deposit and MFR coupon. A manager came and wondered why the $10 pre-order credit was not applied. So she manually adjusted the price. TRU changed their register system, before Dumbo came out (also required manual adjustment for pre-order TLK), I think.

Eve Brown 10-06-11 04:01 PM

Got my Lion King 3d for $14.16 sorry they didn't have a 3d Beauty

That'sAllFolks 10-06-11 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by obidawsn (Post 10952524)
It's odd that people, here, are having problems getting the poster. I seriously doubt they were sold out. They probably didn't even put them out. Most people on SD have said that there were plenty of posters. It's strange that some stores would get tons of them and others not get many, unless there was something wrong with their shipments. I got an e-mail saying that they haven't even received their copies of the movie and that they would contact me as soon as they get it in stock. I have to go by there today, anyway, so I'll just drop in and check on it. If they have it, I'll probably go ahead and get it. I got a $10 off $50 coupon in the mail, yesterday, but it doesn't start until the Oct. 7. I was considering trying it and doing this scenario:

+$27.99 Lion King
+$27.99 Lion King
+$5.00 Cars 2 pre-order
+$5.00 Cars 2 pre-order
-$5.00 DMR coupon
-$5.00 DMR coupon
-$10.00 pre-order promo
-$10.00 pre-order promo
-$10.00 mail coupon
====================
$25.98 for 2 copies of Lion King, 2 posters, and 2 Cars 2 pre-orders

So that would make it $12.99 for two copies. If I decide to use the Cars 2 pre-order or take it back, then that would make them $7.99 a piece. I'm sure I could probably sell one to make most (if not all) of my money back. If they don't have the movies in stock, today, I won't be back there until later in the week, anyway, so I'll try to use the $10 coupon in the above scenario. I might still wait and try it, but I want to make sure I get a copy and the poster (as my son would love that in his room).

If you get this to work, I will be amazed beyond belief. I don't think their system will allow 2 Cars pre-orders on the same ticket (If it even rings up correctly at all). I know the pre-orders have worked in the past, but the LK one with Dumbo was a nightmare.

lilmotto 10-06-11 05:12 PM

I wanted to let everyone know that most Toys R Us ads had a coupon for a $10 GC with the purchase of $75 or more. I was able to use that in conjunction with the DVD sale. If you wanted something else its a nice way to get a few bucks back!

obidawsn 10-07-11 08:04 AM

I'm still baffled by the people having issues with the pre-order promotion. It must be a store-to-store thing. I didn't have any problems with it with Dumbo. The register rang it right up and the cashier even acted surprised at the price. I figured it was because it was the end of the week and they had fixed it. With Lion King, I went in on Wednesday and it rang correctly without any input from the cashier. It was quick and easy. I decided not to wait to do two of them, as I wasn't that sure it would work, plus I got to thinking that I had pre-ordered Lion King, so that would be another $5 off the price that I would have to account for. I didn't need a second copy, so it's not that big of a loss. My only issue was that they were out of the posters (ironically after I mentioned that being strange that people were not getting them). I'm thinking about contacting their customer service and filing a complaint as they sent me an e-mail saying that they didn't even get the movies in and would send me an e-mail saying when they got them in. I never got that e-mail, but they had plenty of copies in stock when I happened to stop by there. I don't think it's really fair that they would tell me they weren't in stock, which would make me wait to come in, then sell out of their posters during that time. I'm not sure what they can do, but it's worth a shot.

yiinhc 10-07-11 08:29 AM

Thanks for the update, obidawsn. As you said, it's probably a store-to-store thing. I just wish my store didn't change their register system. Fortunately the manager didn't give me a hard time. I went there Tuesday at noon because I was afraid that the blu-ray or the posters went out of stock.

larrythefatcat 10-07-11 06:50 PM

I noticed it was mentioned above that TRU didn't have BatB 3D... that's because it's in their computer system as being released on 10/11.

Whether or not they'll actually have it on the shelf come Tuesday, I can't say, but I couldn't wait so I just went over to BB and picked it up along with another copy of TLK... which I'll probably end up returning. *shrug*

PlumPeach 10-08-11 07:59 AM

Worked smoothly at my TRU, and they had plenty of 3D posters. Thanks for the great deal!

larrythefatcat 10-08-11 02:53 PM

I just realized I would have to cut up the artwork on my Lion King combo pack in order to get either the Wholly Guacamole or Reynolds rebates that are available... so I guess I'm not saving that money. Oh, and I think I'd have to send in the receipt stapled to my pre-order for Cars 2, too.

It doesn't matter, I got the pack for 17.99 (12.99 after I get Cars 2 or cancel) so that's a good enough deal for me!