Tom Cruise 6 Movie Collection-$34.96 at walmart.com

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 08-26-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran across this deal at blu-ray.com-

Tom Cruise 6 Movie Collection(Collateral/Days of Thunder/Firm/Top Gun/Minority Report/War of the Worlds) for $34.96 at walmart.com(street date 11/01/11)-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17209488#rr
Old 08-26-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tom Cruise 6 Movie Collection-$34.96 at walmart.com

I hope it's not a mistake like that Will Ferrell Collection on Bluray fiasco from awhile back that turned out to be DVDs. I may bite at that price for these since I only have Days of Thunder on BR.

Last edited by bigjim25; 08-26-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-26-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe these are new Walmart-Censored versions.
Old 08-26-11, 07:31 PM

I was all over this. Had it in my cart, then noted there was no ship to store option, so two bucks for shipping. Then the sales tax kicked in, another two bucks. And suddenly I was out of there. I removed it from my cart, and I'll wait until Amazon offers it. They'll probably match the price and shipping and taxes will be out of the equation for me. Nice offer, until Walmart continued nickel-and-diming me upward. Amazon is spoiling me.
Old 08-26-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by HOSALE View Post
Nice offer, until Walmart continued nickel-and-diming me upward.
Some people. It isn't Walmart's fault they have to charge sales tax and Amazon doesn't. I doubt it will be long before Amazon and other internet retailers have to charge tax as well. Then you can whine about that.
Old 08-26-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
Some people. It isn't Walmart's fault they have to charge sales tax and Amazon doesn't. I doubt it will be long before Amazon and other internet retailers have to charge tax as well. Then you can whine about that.
Amazon already charges sales tax for NY. NY requires it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the other states catch on and do the same thing
Old 08-26-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjim25 View Post
I hope it's not a mistake like that Will Ferrell Collection on Bluray fiasco from awhile back that turned out to be DVDs. I may bite at that price for these since I only have Days of Thunder on BR.
I dealt with this shit with the Will Ferrell collection. Im pretty certain this is the same screwup. Besides, there is no Tom Cruise 6 blu ray collection anywhere else for sale.
Old 08-27-11, 12:13 AM

Some people. It isn't Walmart's fault they confused SD DVDs with Blu-ray. I doubt it will be long before Amazon and other internet retailers start shipping you SD DVDs when you ordered Blu-ray. Then you can whine about that.
Old 08-27-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Besides, there is no Tom Cruise 6 blu ray collection anywhere else for sale.
I could be wrong, but I think that Wal-mart just might have the clout to get an exclusive from a studio.
Old 08-27-11, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Besides, there is no Tom Cruise 6 blu ray collection anywhere else for sale.
Is there a Tom Cruise 6 DVD collection anywhere else for sale?
Old 08-27-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope this signals a price drop on Days of Thunder by itself. That thing has held price way too long for a catalog title. Shouldn't be $10 on sale at this point?
Old 09-01-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Texan26 View Post
Is there a Tom Cruise 6 DVD collection anywhere else for sale?
Amazon says 5 disc bluray so it's starting to look better. Amazon has been known to count the discs wrong.
Old 09-02-11, 10:11 AM

Since this is supposedly 6 BDs for $35 (+$2 shipping + tax), it's just over $6 per BD which is an acceptable price if the movies are substantial PQ/AQ upgrades over the DVD versions which I already own and the studios didn't drop extras (which they often do). I just spent about 10 minutes doing really quick checks... it appears that none of them lose any extras. This is just a repackaging of the 6 pre-existing BDs which are just straight ports to BD of the previous DVDs. The review(s) said picture quality was improved over the DVD but they are not reference quality.

This is what I gathered from the disc formats and extras (SL = BD-25, DL = BD-50):
Collateral [DL, same extras as DVD]
Days of Thunder [SL, trailer only (same as DVD)]
Firm, The [DL, trailer only (same as DVD)]
Minority Report [DL, same extras as 2 disc DVD set]
Top Gun [DL, same extras as SE DVD]
War of the Worlds (2005) [DL, same extras as 2 disc DVD set]

As this is a low price, I expect the price may go up soon. Last time Walmart and Amazon had some double-packs BDs (like Running Man/Red Heat I think) they started at $10 briefly for preorders, then jumped up to $15 or $20, and then after a few months some/all of them went back down to $10. I expect a price jump to $50 soon, but it should fall back down in price.

I'm really on the fence at ordering this now and upgrading my DVDs at $6 + tax, but they're not exactly my favorite movies. They're all just "OK". I suppose there's only $2 risk in ordering this now because if they ship it and I change my mind, I can return it within 90 days to a Walmart B&M and only lose my $2 shipping. For that reason it's worth paying a tiny bit more in tax at Walmart vs. $37.99 at Amazon.
Old 09-02-11, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
I know of at least 1 state that passed a law that even if online retailers don't collect sales tax you must pay it, and that may be the law in many or most other states. The difference is that before nobody was reporting it in the obscure box for it and the states weren't enforcing it. However, I heard on the news that in that state on the 2011 state tax form they will put a box near the end of the main form (near where you sign) asking you to report all online purchases to pay sales tax, and the worst part is I heard they plan to audit everyone who doesn't in some "reasonable" number. So as far as I'm concerned, even if you don't pay sales tax at Amazon if you're in one of those states you might as well be paying tax anyway or risk an audit.

Trying to figure out how many online purchases one has made is a pain. One can only hope that for states that do this they will allow a "standard" online sales tax amount for at least this first year. Then one would have to keep a spreadsheet in the future. Unfortunately I doubt greedy states care 1 whit how much trouble and wasted hours they force their residents to do to comply. I say greedy because they wouldn't have this problem if they could restrain themselves from spending taxpayer money (usually on contracts to their friends or union pensions) like drunken sailors.

Last edited by Manzana; 09-02-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Since this is supposedly 6 BDs for $35 (+$2 shipping + tax), it's just over $6 per BD which is an acceptable price if the movies are substantial PQ/AQ upgrades over the DVD versions which I already own and the studios didn't drop extras (which they often do). I just spent about 10 minutes doing really quick checks... it appears that none of them lose any extras. This is just a repackaging of the 6 pre-existing BDs which are just straight ports to BD of the previous DVDs. The review(s) said picture quality was improved over the DVD but they are not reference quality.

This is what I gathered from the disc formats and extras (SL = BD-25, DL = BD-50):
Collateral [DL, same extras as DVD]
Days of Thunder [SL, trailer only (same as DVD)]
Firm, The [DL, trailer only (same as DVD)]
Minority Report [DL, same extras as 2 disc DVD set]
Top Gun [DL, same extras as SE DVD]
War of the Worlds (2005) [DL, same extras as 2 disc DVD set]

As this is a low price, I expect the price may go up soon. Last time Walmart and Amazon had some double-packs BDs (like Running Man/Red Heat I think) they started at $10 briefly for preorders, then jumped up to $15 or $20, and then after a few months some/all of them went back down to $10. I expect a price jump to $50 soon, but it should fall back down in price.

I'm really on the fence at ordering this now and upgrading my DVDs at $6 + tax, but they're not exactly my favorite movies. They're all just "OK". I suppose there's only $2 risk in ordering this now because if they ship it and I change my mind, I can return it within 90 days to a Walmart B&M and only lose my $2 shipping. For that reason it's worth paying a tiny bit more in tax at Walmart vs. $37.99 at Amazon.
heres why i dont think these are actually bluray
The Firm on bluray is a bestbuy exclusive till mid 2012 is it not?
That combined with the fact that this same thing happened with the wal mart supposed "Will Ferrell Bluray collection" which also turned out to be DVDs only leads me to believe these arent blurays
Old 09-03-11, 10:51 AM

Best Buy also lists it but for $49.99: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tom+Crui...tion&lp=1&cp=1

They list it as 5 discs like Amazon.
Old 09-03-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it is 5 discs, hopefully they leave out "The Firm" as that is the only one of the six I don't want. It could also be all 6 movies on 5 discs, and one disc contains both "Top Gun" and "Days of Thunder" or something.
Old 09-03-11, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours View Post
heres why i dont think these are actually bluray
The Firm on bluray is a bestbuy exclusive till mid 2012 is it not?
That combined with the fact that this same thing happened with the wal mart supposed "Will Ferrell Bluray collection" which also turned out to be DVDs only leads me to believe these arent blurays
Given that there is more uncertainty than I thought, I guess I'd better hold off buying this set until it's out and contents are known. 6 BDs for $34.96 + $2 shipping is OK. If it's only 5 movies, then it's a more questionable DVD to BD upgrade for me.

Why I thought it seemed reasonable that this was a pack of all 6 movies is there are several reviews on DVD-Basen for all of these, and the reviews on The Firm BD don't mention anything about a Best Buy exclusive edition, so I thought all 6 were readily available. 6 movies on 5 discs would be difficult as all of these are BD-50 except Days of Thunder, so it's unlikely they could double any of the movies up with Days of Thunder unless they drop some of the extras (which sadly is a favorite pasttime of several studios).
Old 09-05-11, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 View Post
If it is 5 discs, hopefully they leave out "The Firm" as that is the only one of the six I don't want. It could also be all 6 movies on 5 discs, and one disc contains both "Top Gun" and "Days of Thunder" or something.
The Firm might not be included. Moviesunlimited.com also lists it at 5 discs without The Firm. http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musit...asp?sku=B52254