Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Gamera (Heisei series) Triple Feature Blu Ray for $12 shipped [preorder, DVD Empire]

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Gamera (Heisei series) Triple Feature Blu Ray for $12 shipped [preorder, DVD Empire]

Old 08-09-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Linky: http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1583074 <--- DVD Talk's auto-affiliation overwriting of this URL is making it break Just go to DVD Empire and search their Blu Rays for Gamera
Pre-Order - Scheduled for Release on 9-27-2011

$10.49 : Gamera Trilogy (Triple Feature) Blu-ray
($1.57) : 15% off coupon code 1582186
$2.98 : Shipping
=====
$11.90 Grand total

This is for all 3 of the 2nd generation (Heisei Series) Gamera films from 1995-1999The first 2 movies have already been released on a single Blu Ray. The third movie, plus the three-movie set, are coming out on 9-27. The only difference between the set and buying the titles individually is the pretty slipcover and (or course) the ridiculuously low price. This dovetails nicely with the MST3K Gamera 5-pack that just hit the street this week. Lots of love for the turtle!

I believe DVD Empire has made a price mistake, because the $10.49 price as shown is 48% off of the $19.98 MSRP. That was the old MSRP that Mill Creek announced earlier this spring, the actual MSRP is $24.98. Amazon's pre-order price for the same item set is $22.49 - twice what DVD Empire is selling it for.

Gamera 3 and Gamera Trilogy: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...-in-september/
Gamera 1 + 2 Double Feature: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...ature-blu-ray/

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-11-11 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: Gamera (Heisei series) Triple Feature Blu Ray for $12 shipped [preorder, DVD Empi

The link for the new set at Sci-Fi Japan promises "a wealth of bonus features", but it would be nice to see a full list. The amazing Japanese box set from ages ago was filled with a true wealth of bonus features, so I'm curious to see what Mill Creek was able to include on the new disc, and if the supplements are for the entire trilogy, or just the third film.
Old 08-09-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Gamera (Heisei series) Triple Feature Blu Ray for $12 shipped [preorder, DVD Empi

I hear 'ya. I have the SD versions of all 3 flicks and they're actually very good. But I'm more a "movies" guy than a "bonus features" guy and I'm delighted to get HD versions of them all for $4 each.

The HD release of Gamera 1 + 2 didn't have any special features, not even the "Lake Texarkana Gamera" alternate audio track for Attack of Legion.

That giant turtle's down an alley (?), at the airport, fightin' a giant 'skeeter!

I am expecting that all of the features included in the original box set will be included on Revenge of Iris. Interviews with Shinji Higuchi (special effects director, one for each film), trailers and TV spots, and promotional footage of press conferences, promo events, and film opening nights. There's an alternate commentary track on Iris done by Gamera himself that's pretty darned funny.

While I understand that the "box set" is just the first BD packaged with Gamera 3 in a slipcase, my hope is that the first BD will be updated to include at least the LTG alternate audio track. There's no point in including in on the 2nd disc unless they put Legion on that disc as well and I don't see them doing that.

But hell, it's only twelve bucks!
Old 08-09-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I think I might faint its a deal from DVD Empire....
Old 08-09-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
But I'm more a "movies" guy than a "bonus features" guy and I'm delighted to get HD versions of them all for $4 each . . . . I am expecting that all of the features included in the original box set will be included on Revenge of Iris. Interviews with Shinji Higuchi (special effects director, one for each film), trailers and TV spots, and promotional footage of press conferences, promo events, and film opening nights. There's an alternate commentary track on Iris done by Gamera himself that's pretty darned funny.
I'd happily give up the silly "audio commentary" and alternate soundtrack, as well as all of the press conference footage -- Japanese movie press conferences and interviews are tedious in their politeness and lack of real insight -- for the copious behind-the-scenes production footage of the making of the films that was included in the import DVD set. I've also got an old GAMERA 2 import laserdisc box (actually, the only one I still own, even though I can't play it!), that has much of the same footage, showing the creation of sets, special effects, the filming of scenes, etc. I recall a great deal of it unraveling without need of a narrator or host, which allows you to skim and jump around to your heart's content. I'm very much a "bonus guy" when it comes to that kind of production footage. Interviews and press conferences, not so much. But I have a feeling you're right and we'll end up getting the same old stuff from the previous DVD editions.

Still, for that price . . .
Old 08-10-11, 05:09 AM

Linky: http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1583074
Pre-Order - Scheduled for Release on 9-27-2011

$10.49 : Gamera Trilogy (Triple Feature) Blu-ray
($1.57) : 15% off coupon code 1582186
$2.98 : Shipping
=====
$11.90 Grand total

This is for all 3 of the 2nd generation (Heisei Series) Gamera films from 1995-1999The first 2 movies have already been released on a single Blu Ray. The third movie, plus the three-movie set, are coming out on 9-27. The only difference between the set and buying the titles individually is the pretty slipcover and (or course) the ridiculuously low price. This dovetails nicely with the MST3K Gamera 5-pack that just hit the street this week. Lots of love for the turtle!

I believe DVD Empire has made a price mistake, because the $10.49 price as shown is 48% off of the $19.98 MSRP. That was the old MSRP that Mill Creek announced earlier this spring, the actual MSRP is $24.98. Amazon's pre-order price for the same item set is $22.49 - twice what DVD Empire is selling it for.

Gamera 3 and Gamera Trilogy: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...-in-september/
Gamera 1 + 2 Double Feature: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...ature-blu-ray/
That coupon code expires on 8/31/11. Since this doesn't come out till late september, will it still work?
Old 08-10-11, 08:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jsz1002
That coupon code expires on 8/31/11. Since this doesn't come out till late september, will it still work?
It should, but is $1.55 or so a deal breaker?
Old 08-10-11, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It should, but is $1.55 or so a deal breaker?
Well it may have an effect on the title of this thread! LOL
Old 08-10-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It worked for me. We'll see if DVD-E charges me more than the order receipt they sent me indicates.
Old 08-24-11, 10:29 AM

$12.99 on Amazon right now.
Old 08-24-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. So now the question is, $11.90 at DVD Empire, which might actualy be $13.47 if the coupon expires and is not honored, or $12.99 at Amazon. One could buy from Amazon and consider the $1.09 extra you're paying as insurance against the coupon going bad... but that insurance would save you $0.48 if the coupon does die.

Seems like a lousy bet.

Still, it's Amazon, and I'm Prime, so I'm gonna go ahead and switch over.
Old 08-24-11, 04:10 PM

Yup. So now the question is, $11.90 at DVD Empire, which might actualy be $13.47 if the coupon expires and is not honored, or $12.99 at Amazon. One could buy from Amazon and consider the $1.09 extra you're paying as insurance against the coupon going bad... but that insurance would save you $0.48 if the coupon does die.

Seems like a lousy bet.

Still, it's Amazon, and I'm Prime, so I'm gonna go ahead and switch over.
One thing I love about this forum is the daily reminders that I'm not alone in my OCD quirks.

I finally caved and got the Amazon VISA, so now I can factor in an extra 3% savings in all my Amazon shopping. Probably going to bite the bullet and pay for Prime soon. I thought I didn't order enough to need Prime, and can usually find $25 worth of stuff to get free shipping anyway, but think I can justify it now.
  • I'm up to about 70 orders a year on Amazon lately.
  • I cancelled cable so the free Amazon Instant Video will be a nice supplement to my DVDs and Hulu.
  • I occasionally miss out on a temporary sale when I can't find $25 worth of stuff.

I've been waiting for another sale on Prime, but it's been awhile.
Old 08-25-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Was hoping Amazon would come down, we've really gotten in pretty good with buying stuff form them and I like to to keep things the same.
Old 08-26-11, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
One thing I love about this forum is the daily reminders that I'm not alone in my OCD quirks.

I finally caved and got the Amazon VISA, so now I can factor in an extra 3% savings in all my Amazon shopping. Probably going to bite the bullet and pay for Prime soon. I thought I didn't order enough to need Prime, and can usually find $25 worth of stuff to get free shipping anyway, but think I can justify it now.
  • I'm up to about 70 orders a year on Amazon lately.
  • I cancelled cable so the free Amazon Instant Video will be a nice supplement to my DVDs and Hulu.
  • I occasionally miss out on a temporary sale when I can't find $25 worth of stuff.

I've been waiting for another sale on Prime, but it's been awhile.
Something to consider as well:
1) How many deals do you pass up because you don't have prime.
2) If you had to pay postage for a few deals, is it worth the $79 you pay for prime
3) For a month or two out of the year, you will probably have prime free anyway (for BF).
4) How patient are you in getting your order.

I can't justify Prime at all. I don't buy enough from Amazon throughout the year (except in BF season) to offset the cost. Most of my off-season purchases are bigger with FSSS anyway. And I really don't care if I have to wait for my items for a week or so. I've missed out on a handful of deals, but for the most part they came around again. Also, I prefer that my order is delayed a couple of days because inevitably a better deal or price drop occurs that I can take advantage of.
Old 08-26-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
2) If you had to pay postage for a few deals, is it worth the $79 you pay for prime
3) For a month or two out of the year, you will probably have prime free anyway (for BF).

I can't justify Prime at all. I don't buy enough from Amazon throughout the year (except in BF season) to offset the cost. Most of my off-season purchases are bigger with FSSS anyway. And I really don't care if I have to wait for my items for a week or so. I've missed out on a handful of deals, but for the most part they came around again. Also, I prefer that my order is delayed a couple of days because inevitably a better deal or price drop occurs that I can take advantage of.
I am lucky that I am part of a "family" that has Prime cost split among its members. If I did not, I still think its a great investment since I order a decent amount from Amazon to justify it.
Old 09-04-11, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks

Prime is great. I finally broke down and got it and have no regrets. I want one CD, BAM, I can order it. I see something dirt cheap, got it. I order some electronics, I get it in two days. It's awesome. I want to watch a video late one night, no problem, I watch an instant video. Well worth the price. No more screwing around. I love it.
Old 09-05-11, 05:29 AM

For those that already own the Gamera double-feature BD, CDwow! has Gamera Revenge of Iris for $8.99:
http://www.cdwow.us/blu-ray/gamera-r...843453#bc=8cef
Old 09-27-11, 10:24 AM

Has anybody had their order ship yet? Mine still says open. Doing a product search on dvd Empire shows the set as "on order." Maybe they haven't received any stock yet.
Old 09-27-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm probably the last one to notice, but Amazon's listing now has a scan of the back cover and it appears this set is indeed loaded with special features, particularly for the second film. This stacks up fairly well -- though not completely -- against the older Japanese DVD boxed set.

Old 09-27-11, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T
I'm probably the last one to notice, but Amazon's listing now has a scan of the back cover and it appears this set is indeed loaded with special features, particularly for the second film. This stacks up fairly well -- though not completely -- against the older Japanese DVD boxed set.

What's missing from the Japanese boxed set?
Old 09-29-11, 10:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsz1002
Has anybody had their order ship yet? Mine still says open. Doing a product search on dvd Empire shows the set as "on order." Maybe they haven't received any stock yet.
Just got my shipping confirmation.
Old 09-30-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine shipped today from Amazon.
Old 10-03-11, 08:11 PM

I did not see this till today. I order this when Amazon 1st put it up. It did not list the movies, even Amazon did not know the names. Silly me, why would they put out a box set with the same movies in them as the 1st blue set. I did get it and all I need was the 3rd one. I called Amazon and at the time it did not have the names. They refund me the $6 I paid for the 1st blue set. Shows sometimes its best to wait to make sure.
Old 10-04-11, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Prime is great. I finally broke down and got it and have no regrets. I want one CD, BAM, I can order it. I see something dirt cheap, got it. I order some electronics, I get it in two days. It's awesome. I want to watch a video late one night, no problem, I watch an instant video. Well worth the price. No more screwing around. I love it.
I have prime also, there are times I do not use it and there are times like the other day 18 one item order. I also share it with others now unlike last year. If you order more then 3 items a month it would work out to be cheaper.