Best Buy Ad 7/31-8/6/11

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Ad 7/31-8/6/11

Old 07-29-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Best Buy Ad 7/31-8/6/11

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I wanted to verify that you could play movies that are labeled Blu-ray 3D in 2D in a standard Blu-ray player, provided that a 2D copy exists on the disc. I PM'd Fry's for Open Season and Monster House Blu-ray 3D and used the $5.00 coupon, but wanted for verify I can still play them in my standard BR player. I don't have 3D yet, but thought for a couple of extra bucks, I may plan for the future.
I think only certain ones (SONY?) are that way, but now most of the 3D sets are 3D blu-ray, 2D blu-ray, DVD, digital all in one. I know specifically Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is both because I got the 3D blu-ray cheap (I think it was a pack-in with glasses/tv/player) and it works in my blu-ray player switches to 2D menu option.
Old 07-29-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Yeah, those tickets are also included with Highlander, First Blood, Rambo (Theatrical), and T2 (Skynet Edition). The stickers are postage stamp-sized on outside of the shrinkwrap, so they are a little hard to spot.
Yeah, I was able to get Highlander and Gamer with the stickers but only after some hard searching. They were in the most out of the way endcap imaginable and only a few of them had the sticker on them (I got the last Gamer one). So I feel fortunate, but if you can't find it, search every end cap until you get to them all.

Also, I got Hero ($7.99 bd) on a recommendation here, one I wouldn't think to look for but glad I got it.
Old 07-29-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I wanted to verify that you could play movies that are labeled Blu-ray 3D in 2D in a standard Blu-ray player, provided that a 2D copy exists on the disc. I PM'd Fry's for Open Season and Monster House Blu-ray 3D and used the $5.00 coupon, but wanted for verify I can still play them in my standard BR player. I don't have 3D yet, but thought for a couple of extra bucks, I may plan for the future.
It depends on the disc. 3DBD's can be authored with a flag that lets them playback in 2D or not. For most of the releases where there's both a 3D BD and regular 2D BD bundled (think Disney combo packs), I'm sure the 3D BD is flagged to NOT playback on 2D players. For releases that have a 3D disc only, I believe most of them allow 2D playback. Like, for example, I know my Resident Evil 3D disc is allowed to playback in 2D.
Old 07-30-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
It depends on the disc. 3DBD's can be authored with a flag that lets them playback in 2D or not. For most of the releases where there's both a 3D BD and regular 2D BD bundled (think Disney combo packs), I'm sure the 3D BD is flagged to NOT playback on 2D players. For releases that have a 3D disc only, I believe most of them allow 2D playback. Like, for example, I know my Resident Evil 3D disc is allowed to playback in 2D.
Yes, that would make sense because RE is another SONY title.
Old 07-31-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a scan of the Applebee's $3 Rio blu ray/dvd coupon. Apparently both of my local Applebees are franchises & they say that only the corporate stores have those kids menus. They're still carrying the YOGI BEAR kids menus & said they might get the RIo ones in sometime in late August well after the sales end).
Old 07-31-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Photobucket
Old 07-31-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
Old 08-01-11, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright:

1) Is there any confirmation that the $5 off coupon has been deactivated?

2) How likely is it that this Rio coupon will work on the 3DBD?

I'm really hoping for the coupon to keep working and for BB to accept that coupon... if I decide to buy Rio, that is.
Old 08-02-11, 09:28 PM

edison: thanks for posting the coupon! my best buy took it for the rio 3d with no questions!
Old 08-02-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ditto! I used it with no problem on the regular Blu pack.