Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes and Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale 7/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Barnes and Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale 7/12

Despite my Barnes & Noble membership, I guess I'm going to do nearly all of my shopping this sale online. The 15% Discover cashback bonus trumps the 10% off I get with my membership in store. That's weird. I'm used to storming the store with coupons, but both locations are about 45 minutes away so at least it will save me some driving.
Old 07-23-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Despite my Barnes & Noble membership, I guess I'm going to do nearly all of my shopping this sale online. The 15% Discover cashback bonus trumps the 10% off I get with my membership in store. That's weird. I'm used to storming the store with coupons, but both locations are about 45 minutes away so at least it will save me some driving.
The driving notwithstanding, in-store is juuust a little cheaper right now combining the 10% Member discount with the 20% off in-store coupon.
Old 07-23-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The driving notwithstanding, in-store is juuust a little cheaper right now combining the 10% Member discount with the 20% off in-store coupon.
Not for Discover members, since the 15% cash back trumps the 10% member discount, unless you don't count cash back the same as cash.
Old 07-23-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

You might want to read my post once more a little closer.

And the 20% off can also be used online, which is why it's still cheaper going online with my Discover card.
Old 07-24-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Final tally (I hope):
Black Moon (16.33+tax)
Naked (16.33+tax)
Fear and Loathing (16.34+tax)
Fat Girl (16.33+tax)
Sweetie (16.33+tax)
8 ˝ (16.34+tax)
By Brakhage Anthology (27.99+tax)
Beauty and the Beast (16.54+tax)
Solaris (16.54+tax)
Kiss Me Deadly (14.40+tax)
Diabolique (14.40+tax)
The Music Room (14.40+tax)
Zazie dans le métro (14.40+tax)
Gomorrah (14.40+tax)
Monsoon Wedding (14.40+tax)

Last edited by dsa_shea; 07-24-11 at 09:03 PM. Reason: For more spending.
Old 07-24-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So my buddy and I stopped at a BN on the way to a friend's birthday/college grad party today so he could pick up Seven Samurai and I was considering picking up something on a whim and the store we went to simply did not have a movie/music section. It wasn't there. They had a huge magazine section and literally the biggest cafe in a book store I've ever seen, which was even set atop of a pedestal that required 5 or 6 steps up just to get to it but no fucking movies. It was basically a Starbucks that happened to have books near it.

Edit to add- This totally blew our minds to the point we wandered around for 15 minutes looking like stoners at a Grateful Dead show trying to find it. I asked an empl;oyee eventually and she confirmed the situation. We had to simply turn around and leave. Totally mind blowing.
Old 07-24-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
So my buddy and I stopped at a BN on the way to a friend's birthday/college grad party today so he could pick up Seven Samurai and I was considering picking up something on a whim and the store we went to simply did not have a movie/music section. It wasn't there. They had a huge magazine section and literally the biggest cafe in a book store I've ever seen, which was even set atop of a pedestal that required 5 or 6 steps up just to get to it but no fucking movies. It was basically a Starbucks that happened to have books near it.

Edit to add- This totally blew our minds to the point we wandered around for 15 minutes looking like stoners at a Grateful Dead show trying to find it. I asked an empl;oyee eventually and she confirmed the situation. We had to simply turn around and leave. Totally mind blowing.
Why is it "mind blowing"? B&N has had stores all over the country without movies and music for years. You must not shop there much.
Old 07-24-11, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Of the eight stores I have visited in CT, only one does not have a movie section. The store is big enough to accommodate one, but for whatever reason, no dice.
Old 07-24-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The B&N nearest me doesn't have one either. Kinda sucks. I have to go the second and third nearest stores during the sale.
Old 07-24-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
The B&N nearest me doesn't have one either. Kinda sucks. I have to go the second and third nearest stores during the sale.
About half of the stores in my area have video and music sections. They built a number of smaller stores around here in recent years, and they all lacked movies/tv/music. I drive by three stores regularly, none of them have Blu-rays... except maybe 2-3 top releases.
Old 07-24-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwstl
Why is it "mind blowing"? B&N has had stores all over the country without movies and music for years. You must not shop there much.
Because its the first I've ever been in without one. I had no idea there were any that didn't have the section. My shopping at BN is pretty much limited to the CC sale these days.
Old 07-24-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
About half of the stores in my area have video and music sections. They built a number of smaller stores around here in recent years, and they all lacked movies/tv/music. I drive by three stores regularly, none of them have Blu-rays... except maybe 2-3 top releases.
Maybe they need to redesign their stores. I've always found it odd that the movie & music section is "walled off" with it's own register and security system.

I know Borders isn't the best example, but they treated merchandise as merchandise: as long as you were in store, you could carry anything around with you and check out at the main registers.
Old 07-24-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know Borders isn't the best example, but they treated merchandise as merchandise: as long as you were in store, you could carry anything around with you and check out at the main registers.
No they didn't. The majority of the TV seasons, box sets and a large portion of BDs were locked in cases so you had to ask someone to open the case just to look at something or see the price. I hated that and rarely bought anything that was locked up. I'll take B&N's security method over the locked in a case method any day. Besides, you can pay for anything in the movie/music section so I would just do my book and mag shopping first.
Old 07-24-11, 07:44 PM

No they didn't. The majority of the TV seasons, box sets and a large portion of BDs were locked in cases so you had to ask someone to open the case just to look at something or see the price. I hated that and rarely bought anything that was locked up. I'll take B&N's security method over the locked in a case method any day. Besides, you can pay for anything in the movie/music section so I would just do my book and mag shopping first.

This must be store specific. The Borders I frequent in Maine has nothing locked up.
Old 07-24-11, 07:52 PM
Banned

Goddammit, amazon shipped by Leon Morin for $28. Forgot I had preordered it. FML.
Old 07-24-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Return to sender.
Old 07-25-11, 08:01 AM
Cool New Member

anyone know when this sale will end?
Old 07-25-11, 08:20 AM

I was just denied use of the 20% coupon by a sales clerk who told me that since Criterions were promotionally-priced, the coupon was invalid with them. Booo!
Old 07-25-11, 08:34 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Whats the opinion on Leon Morin and Les Enfants Terribles? Those are 2 Melville I do not own. I know they are different from his other works. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not only that, but in most of the Borders stores you could not get something out of the "cage" and walk around the store with it. The clerk would pull it and then bring it to the registers until you were ready to check out.

I was even in a Borders store where they had all of the American graphic novels and comic trade paperbacks locked up in the cage. I had to search the entire store before I found a clerk who could open it so I could take a look at one of the books. He looked extremely annoyed with me that that's what I wanted him to do. He actually told me he was very busy so I needed to decide whether I wanted to buy the book or not as soon as he opened the cage and he could quickly bring it down to the registers. I asked him why this was the only store where these books were locked up and he said it was probably to keep them in good condition. He pulled the book out and I could see by the cover it was not the one I was looking for and I told him. He was very disgusted, didn't say a word and threw the book back in the cage completely bending the cover!

And this was the same Borders store (Northridge, CA) that once played the greatest hits of Michael Jackson on an endless loop. When I politely asked if they could vary it a little bit and play something else, the clerk called down to the music department, then came over to me and said: "Our music guy said no, he wants to hear Michael."

Good riddance to Borders.
Old 07-25-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This has probably been answered, but what is the best current deal for non-members?
Old 07-25-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

The best current deal would be the free 2 month trial membership that allows you to use the 20% off coupon in store with the standard 10% member discount.
Old 07-25-11, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
This has probably been answered, but what is the best current deal for non-members?
If you don't want to sign up for the two month trial membership, there's a 15% off one item coupon (both in store, which expires today at the close of business, and online, which expires on August 1) as well an online coupon for 10% off your entire order (it expires August 2nd). All of these are listed in the Barnes and Noble Coupon Thread in the DVD Bargains section of this site.

I picked up the Complete Monterey Pop Festival and The Thin Red Line today, my first purchases during this sale. I might pick up one or two more before the end of the sale, but I'm trying to keep from getting carried away with this sale as I sometimes have in the past.
Old 07-25-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FranklinShepard
I was just denied use of the 20% coupon by a sales clerk who told me that since Criterions were promotionally-priced, the coupon was invalid with them. Booo!
Wow, that's pretty lame. Was that the first coupon you used, or did you try others previously and had them accepted (like 5 off 50, etc.)?
Old 07-25-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FranklinShepard
Same here, this was @ the 5th Ave & 45th Street store in NYC

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.