Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

I'm guessing this is YMMV, but I stopped by my local BBuster yesterday and they had a bin of blurays for $4/ea. They were:

Social Network
Source Code (rental)
Dinner for Schmucks
Priest

They also had the 5/$20 going on for blu-rays $9.99 and under. What caught my eye is they had a copy of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol for $9.99. I happened to find 4 other blu-rays I wanted so I ended up with:

MI 4 (no special features listed)
Flightplan
Taking of Pelham 123 (Travolta/Washington)
Terminator 3
Babylon A.D. (raw & uncut....and hopefully better than the reviews)
Old 05-28-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ace Hunter
I'm guessing this is YMMV, but I stopped by my local BBuster yesterday and they had a bin of blurays for $4/ea. They were:

Social Network
Source Code (rental)
Dinner for Schmucks
Priest

They also had the 5/$20 going on for blu-rays $9.99 and under. What caught my eye is they had a copy of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol for $9.99. I happened to find 4 other blu-rays I wanted so I ended up with:

MI 4 (no special features listed)
Flightplan
Taking of Pelham 123 (Travolta/Washington)
Terminator 3
Babylon A.D. (raw & uncut....and hopefully better than the reviews)
Those are everywhere as far as stores that are still open believe it is for the Memorial Day sale but could be wrong.

I noticed the MI4 on sale as well. Would be nice if the rest that have been out for ages now would come down to $9.99 For example, just to name a couple I've been waiting on:

Captain America
Super 8
X-Men 1st Class
Thor
Fast Five
Transformers 3
Old 05-28-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't been in a Blockbuster for a while (since the last closing... might've been mid April), so I don't know if mine have any of these BD titles for $4 each (apart from the 5 for $20). The big thing I always like to know (and have to watch for) is to avoid all of the Rental titles. I've been refused trade-ins at most FYEs when I made a few mistakes and duplicated a few rental titles. I just kept trying periodically and finally found an employee who would take them. Another thing is that if you have or plan to get 3D, some of these titles have 3D versions that I'd prefer to get... like Captain America and Thor.
Old 05-29-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Source Code and checked the back to see that it had extras and it did. I discovered when I got home that it was the "Rental Only" edition, but judging from the reviews, there are no further extras missing - it has the commentary and PIP tracks - so I'm not sure what makes this different for rental.
Old 05-29-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I think the only difference is the cover art. I do wish there was a better way to watch the special features besides "in" the movie.. Like maybe directly..
Old 06-23-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It says a lot that it's been almost a month since this thread has been bumped. I just passed through my local store while walking and it's still the same old same old - stuff I bought a year ago for a buck, feature-free rental copies of stuff I don't want, and damn little in the way of anything recent despite the few reports of recent titles being eligible. It seems like anything less than a year old is still $16.99, probably more than they could be bought new at Amazon.

Where is Limitless, The Adjustment Bureau, Super 8 and other stuff that's a year old? I see that Family Video has them for $8.49, but we can't tell if they're feature-stripped renters without going to a B&M store and it's double what a 5/$20 sale would cost. I've got one I pass on my way home from work, but it's such a muddled, messy layout, I dread going.
Old 06-24-12, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
It says a lot that it's been almost a month since this thread has been bumped. I just passed through my local store while walking and it's still the same old same old - stuff I bought a year ago for a buck, feature-free rental copies of stuff I don't want, and damn little in the way of anything recent despite the few reports of recent titles being eligible. It seems like anything less than a year old is still $16.99, probably more than they could be bought new at Amazon.

Where is Limitless, The Adjustment Bureau, Super 8 and other stuff that's a year old? I see that Family Video has them for $8.49, but we can't tell if they're feature-stripped renters without going to a B&M store and it's double what a 5/$20 sale would cost. I've got one I pass on my way home from work, but it's such a muddled, messy layout, I dread going.
Does Family Video sell stripped down rental editions like Blockbuster?

The only time I've gone to a Blockbuster store is once or twice at each closing store. 3 have closed so far, and I don't know if any others closing in my area. At each store I saw pretty much the same old same old. Actually Limitless and Adjustment Bureau have been $7.99 at Fry's, so I did a PM to get those. Super 8 has been $10 or less somewhere.

While it may not help you, my opinion/suggestion on Blockbuster is that you can't count on them getting anything in a timely fashion, so you are best off looking for other sources. If you can exhibit patience of 1-2 years I find that most BDs I want fall under $10 and often under $8 brand new. Blockbuster store closings are worth visiting, but the last time I went there were seriously only 4 Blu-rays I picked up for 99c because the stores all have the same inventory, and as the prices drop people buy the same titles first (at a higher price) and leave the same less popular ones which survive until they hit 99c. So I've pretty much scratched Blockbuster off my list as a source for anything, but I will visit each closing store in my area once near the end. You never know what you'll find.
Old 06-25-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't bought used Blu-rays from FV online yet, though the DVDs I've bought have been fine IIRC. I picked up Thor and Captain America from my local FV and they came in the retail cases, but without the DVD/DC discs even though the transfer code sheets were included. No biggie. I just think that the online prices aren't guaranteed to be in local stores.

It's not that I NEED to have these movies immediately, but was remarking how pokey BBV is about cycling product through. Several months ago I was able to get Horrible Bosses, Green Lantern, Harry Potter 8, and Crazy, Stupid, Love for 5/$20 and they'd only been out for a few months. Yeah, yeah, supply and demand, but come on. It's like they don't even have many copies at $17.

Looking at A'zon, Adjustment Bureau is $10; Limitless is $14; Super 8 is $17. Oh well. These are just library copies for me (i.e. I've already seen them in theaters and may wait years to watch them) so it's no rush. Just want to pay $4 and not more.

It's amazing how stingy you get after you get used to paying way low prices. I remember when - this is the benchmark my g/f and I use - I bought Original Sin on DVD for $17. We'd eagerly look at the Sunday papers for what the new releases were going to be. Then we discovered buying used for 2/$20, then 4/$20 and so on. After looting closing Hollywood Videos for 6/$5 DVDs and picking up Blu-rays for $4-$7 came last Memorial Day's super epic lootathons where I bought over 100 Blu-rays for an average $2 a pop; DVDs for a buck. Once you get down to those crazy low prices, seeing used DVDs for more than $2 summons a hearty "yeah, right" from us. I figure if I'm going to backlog hundreds of movies I'll take years to get around to watching, I may as well pay as little as possible. By being a bargain ninja, I've can live a lifestyle of someone making double what I do.
Old 06-26-12, 11:52 AM

^ I understand as I'm a "bargain ninja" too. As you said, when you see more and more super deals, it becomes harder and harder to pay more for a BD or a DVD. I've picked up many used BDs for $1-$3 at Blockbuster, so when I see Big Lots with a new $3-$5 DVD it's easy for me to pass because I figure there's a good chance the BD will show up cheaper. We're starting to see $5 BD bins now, and there will be more deals. I'm pretty blown away that many years ago I used to consider $15-$20 for a new release DVD to be a good price. I'd be hard pressed to pay $15 for any BD, and I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD movie. The last DVD set was The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection. Who knows how long until Sony puts them on BD and unless they cleaned them up would it really help?

IMO, Blockbuster has never really tried very hard to compete, and given that DISH owns them now I don't know if they care how long it takes them to reduce prices on PV movies they sell. That's why I say that I wrote off Blockbuster as a place I can count on getting anything. If a store is closing, I'll go to see what's there when the prices are in the $1-$5 range. Until then I just wait for deals from other places. I haven't bought a movie off Amazon since the Alien Anthology BD was $23.99. There's just too much stuff out there so I have to be selective.

The BDs you mention like Limitless, Adjustment Bureau, and Super 8 I think I got for $7.99 to $9.99 each brand new as combo packs. Sure, if I waited a couple more years I might find them for under $5 used, but I thought those were OK deals. My backlog is also huge and I could probably never watch everything I already own. I keep buying a handful here and there because it's an addiction and sometimes the prices are so cheap I can't say no. In fact, the way I usually work is rather than having a large list of movies I want (particularly hard as I don't rent many movies or go to the theater very often), I just read reviews and evaluate them once they drop in price into my acceptable range.
Old 06-26-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped at my local Family Video tonight and if there's a place to make Blockbuster look like the Apple Store, it's Family Video. They should go under just for their colors and signage. A 2nd-year art school design student could do better. They had a couple Super 8 for $10 and no Limitless or Adjustment. They had a section of used BD for $8 each or 3/$21, but nothing I want. Sigh.

EDIT: I see Adjustment is now $10 at Amazon.
Old 06-29-12, 12:40 AM

Supposed to be a big sale at Blockbuster for the 4th of July. I do not know any details beyond they will put out more movies (at least in Sacramento).
Old 06-29-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
Supposed to be a big sale at Blockbuster for the 4th of July. I do not know any details beyond they will put out more movies (at least in Sacramento).
Put out more movies = more titles to drop and become low enough for the 5 for $20 sale? Or what exactly does that mean, put more movies?
Old 06-29-12, 09:36 AM

I was just told a "big" sale was coming up and that there would be a much greater selection, that's all I know.
Old 06-29-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I think its probably a matter of prestige or social status now, if you have a Blockbuster store near you
Old 06-29-12, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
^ I understand as I'm a "bargain ninja" too. As you said, when you see more and more super deals, it becomes harder and harder to pay more for a BD or a DVD. I've picked up many used BDs for $1-$3 at Blockbuster, so when I see Big Lots with a new $3-$5 DVD it's easy for me to pass because I figure there's a good chance the BD will show up cheaper. We're starting to see $5 BD bins now, and there will be more deals. I'm pretty blown away that many years ago I used to consider $15-$20 for a new release DVD to be a good price. I'd be hard pressed to pay $15 for any BD, and I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD movie. The last DVD set was The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection. Who knows how long until Sony puts them on BD and unless they cleaned them up would it really help?

IMO, Blockbuster has never really tried very hard to compete, and given that DISH owns them now I don't know if they care how long it takes them to reduce prices on PV movies they sell. That's why I say that I wrote off Blockbuster as a place I can count on getting anything. If a store is closing, I'll go to see what's there when the prices are in the $1-$5 range. Until then I just wait for deals from other places. I haven't bought a movie off Amazon since the Alien Anthology BD was $23.99. There's just too much stuff out there so I have to be selective.

The BDs you mention like Limitless, Adjustment Bureau, and Super 8 I think I got for $7.99 to $9.99 each brand new as combo packs. Sure, if I waited a couple more years I might find them for under $5 used, but I thought those were OK deals. My backlog is also huge and I could probably never watch everything I already own. I keep buying a handful here and there because it's an addiction and sometimes the prices are so cheap I can't say no. In fact, the way I usually work is rather than having a large list of movies I want (particularly hard as I don't rent many movies or go to the theater very often), I just read reviews and evaluate them once they drop in price into my acceptable range.
Jeesus, you and I must be brothers, Manzana. EXACTLY the way I think and operate....we should trace our ancestry to look for some commonality somewhere. I haven't found anyone else that can type my mind this way :-)
Old 06-29-12, 12:19 PM

If there's a 4th of July sale at Blockbuster, I hope people post the details here as soon as they know. For instance, if they add new 5 for $20 BDs, I'd like to know the titles. If they reduce prices further on existing used BDs, that would be good to know but my guess is virtually everything Blockbuster currently has in the 5 for $20 BDs is something I already have or don't want.
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
you and I must be brothers, Manzana. EXACTLY the way I think and operate....we should trace our ancestry to look for some commonality somewhere. I haven't found anyone else that can type my mind this way :-)
Do you also not keep a big list of movies you want but evaluate them when they drop into a good price range ($5-$10 new) and make notes so that you don't forget and repeat the evaulation? I haven't met anyone else who does that because most people keep up on movies and TV shows better than I do. Sure, I occasionally go to the theater and I know if I want those few movies I've seen, but as I don't rent any more I'm pretty clueless about most stuff. Well, I did just finish a 3 month Blockbuster trial (which I canceled), and I used it to rent TV series and old stuff I can't easily find rather than blind rent new releases. Which sites do you use for reviews (which are the keystone of my "evaluations")? I always start with DVD-Basen. I suppose if you think we're alike, maybe we could talk in PM and see if we have any tips or info to share on movies and bargain finding? It's up to you.
Old 06-29-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
I was just told a "big" sale was coming up and that there would be a much greater selection, that's all I know.
Ok, that has my interest peaked to see if they FINALLY drop down the ones that are $16.99 that have been that way forever.
Old 06-30-12, 03:01 PM

are bluray 3d movies usually part of these types of sales?
Old 06-30-12, 05:03 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Does BB rent 3D BDs?
Old 06-30-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Interstella5555
are bluray 3d movies usually part of these types of sales?
Don't think they have any.
Old 07-04-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If any East coasters can check out their Blockbusters 1st thing this morning please report back of any "SALE" they might be having. Not seeing anything on any of the forums though so my expectations of any "big" sale have been dampened. Thankfully already got a bunch of titles this morning from Hastings.

edit: Just called and nothing going on except a rent 1 get 1 free coupon today. No "big" sale going on today or price drops for that matter.

Last edited by Schloob1; 07-04-12 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-04-12, 10:49 AM

I just called my local Blockbuster and nothing is going on out of the ordinay. In fact, the 5 for $20 has actually gone away & is now 4 for $20.

I asked specifically if there had been any price drops for the previewed movies & he said "no, not for a long time". So basically Blockbuster continues to dig their own grave.
Old 07-04-12, 11:11 AM

checked last evening. same sorry titles from a year ago, now a buck more each at 4 for $20. they also told me they were having a '3 for $20' DVD 'sale'....I told them I was going to my car to fetch my shopping bag
Old 07-04-12, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the report. I'm not surprised that Blockbuster has no good sales going on right now. As I said before, I think the way people should treat Blockbuster used BDs is this: when there is a store closing, go visit it when you're nearby, but other than that don't waste your time driving out of your way to browse a Blockbuster... 95% likely it's the same old same old. Just wait until someone posts here that there's something new. I find it's safe to assume there's nothing at Blockbuster unless I hear to the contrary.

Regarding 3D BDs, I can confirm that I have NEVER seen a 3D BD for sale in the used section at any Blockbuster I've ever checked. I can't speak of 3D rentals because it has been many years since I rented a movie at a Blockbuster B&M.
Old 08-03-12, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Oh. My mistake. If these are $4 BDs that's reasonable depending on the titles. I guess I got mixed up on the forums since I read both and mix threads. 5 miles each way (10 total) is not terrible, but since it's off my commute path and off the freeway it's basically miss every signal every quarter mile for 5 miles, so while 5 miles would be 3-4 minutes on the freeway it's about 10-15 each way depending on the traffic. It would completely depend on what titles they had. If there were a list of common finds for $4, I might go. Otherwise I'm going to assume the BDs are nothing too exciting.

The worst part of this sale for me would be that it may not be possible for me to find 5 BDs I want @ $4 each, and it's a non-deal if you don't get them in multiples of 5.
with all do respect to you and i know im the new guy but wow you are one piece of work lol im going to start calling you sheldon lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.