Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

They just dropped the price on the used bundles. It's now 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 on USED dvds/blu-rays/games $14.99 or less.
Old 12-16-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
They just dropped the price on the used bundles. It's now 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 on USED dvds/blu-rays/games $14.99 or less.
According to hawaiiboy over at CAG:

"The titles that were previously excluded in the sale (horrible bosses, green lantern, pirates on stranger tides, cars 2, crazy stupid love, and Harry potter deathly hollows 2) are now part of the deal."
Old 12-16-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's odd, I picked up Pirates and Horrible Bosses last time with the mix and match with no problems. I'm down for Cars 2 if I can find 4 others to go with it. So no gift card this time?
Old 12-16-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hawaiiboy says the gift card is YMMV, and you'd have to ask - they will not give it automatically. The first BB I went to at lunch today said "no", the second I went to said "yes".
Old 12-16-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Wow, is this YMMV?

I might stop by my local Blockbuster to use up that $5 gift card I got from my previous purchase on that 3 for $15
Old 12-16-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's funny how Blockbuster just doesn't say "$5 each for 3 or more" rather than making it multiples of 3 @ $5 each or 5 @ $5 each but no other quantities allowed. They'd increase their sales because often it's not possible to find exactly their magic number of items available.

I know they have had some nice used games in the $14.99 or less range in the recent past, but the problem is all Blockbusters in my area (there are only 4 left in my driving range all of which I visited 1-2 weeks ago) are completely wiped out of anything worthwhile... new or used games or BDs (to semi-quote Vejur "the word DVD has no meaning to my programming" any more). There are no good games left that I don't already have or want, so they could be selling them for $1 each and I'd probably still come up empty handed. Apart from the same-old same-old used BDs we've seen for months, my stores seriously had no games under $14.99 (or new BDs under $19.99) due to the recent sales. (They obviously worked.)

When they put out some new stuff, please post and I'll go. They seem to do it mostly on the same schedule across the country, but I see no point going to any Blockbuster until they get more for sale.

I guess I missed that gift card thingy when I bought. I think somebody said you have to be a combo member whatever that means. I'm not a member of anything at Blockbuster because all their stores are too far away now to justify driving back and forth for rentals. I only go there when I'm going to/from work or other errands.
Old 12-16-11, 08:02 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I stopped by the Blockbuster by my work and I didn't see any of the newer used blu-rays and the games were completely picked over (lots of copies of Raving Rabbids Travel in Time though). I did partake in the 3/$24.99 new blu-rays, picked up Red, Date Night, and Piranha 3D (!). Considering I almost bought Piranha 3D for $16 at Frys a couple weeks ago during their 3D sale, this was a good deal for me.
Old 12-16-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's funny how Blockbuster just doesn't say "$5 each for 3 or more" rather than making it multiples of 3 @ $5 each or 5 @ $5 each but no other quantities allowed. They'd increase their sales because often it's not possible to find exactly their magic number of items available.
Several times I bought some filler titles but after getting a bunch of crappy rom-coms I don't really need to own I refused to get more dreck.
Old 12-16-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had some BBV credit to burn, so I stopped by tonight.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.
The Illusionist
The Longest Day
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Attack the Block (dvd)

If the newer releases (Crazy, Pirates, etc.) don't have the original artwork, ask the employee if they have it behind the counter.
Old 12-16-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Without reading through a bunch of pages, is 5/$20 blu dead? I only took part twice (I think) it was a good deal and had me going in from time to time to check.
Old 12-16-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Without reading through a bunch of pages, is 5/$20 blu dead? I only took part twice (I think) it was a good deal and had me going in from time to time to check.
Yes, 5/$20 is dead. I updated the OP with the current deal.
Old 12-17-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped in at one tonight w/o knowing the prices had changed and was pleasantly surprised, though I didn't get anything. Yet.

What's really shocking is that Harry Potter...Hallows Pt. 2 is a RETAIL version in a BD case WITH EXTRAS! I got up early on BF to buy from Amazon and there are no extras other than deleted scenes. What a gyp. I'll be getting one from BBV and try to dispose of the other.

Pirates 4 has no artwork other than a cover. Are there any extras on this disc or is a stripped rental?

No Crazy, Stupid, Love where I was at. Want to get that. Extras on that? Thanks.
Old 12-17-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Stopped in at one tonight w/o knowing the prices had changed and was pleasantly surprised, though I didn't get anything. Yet.

What's really shocking is that Harry Potter...Hallows Pt. 2 is a RETAIL version in a BD case WITH EXTRAS! I got up early on BF to buy from Amazon and there are no extras other than deleted scenes. What a gyp. I'll be getting one from BBV and try to dispose of the other.

Pirates 4 has no artwork other than a cover. Are there any extras on this disc or is a stripped rental?

No Crazy, Stupid, Love where I was at. Want to get that. Extras on that? Thanks.
It's the BR from the combo pack. What blockbuster did is go out and buy a bunch of the combo packs and rent the dvd out of the combo pack since WB & Disney are being an ass and trying to delay releases. Then they sold off the remaining blu to the public, so it's the same discs as retail combo packs just minus the DVD. I like this idea better since we are now get the bonus features and not getting RENTAL VERSIONS without the bonus stuff.
Old 12-17-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, but what about the other movies?
Old 12-18-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Since others have reported finding the animated Illusionist among the recent used titles, I decided to go back and search for myself. Was just there yesterday, but thought I might have overlooked something. Turns out, I hadn't -- it's still the same old crap. Also did a better check of the new titles that were eligible for the 3 for $25 bundle, as they were scattered all over the place. Most were in a wire display up front, but some were on endcaps and various displays throughout the store.

I need to vent a little, so bear with me on this off-topic rant: The whole time I was in the store, I kept seeing this wannabe hipster chick with glasses and a scarf out of the corner of my eye. I went up and down each aisle to make sure I wasn't missing any hidden sale items and it seemed she was always on my back. I turned to look at her a couple times, but she just glanced away and acted like she was browsing. When I finally left the store, I saw her go behind the counter and consult with the guy at the register. It was then I realized she was an employee in street clothes. Maybe my circling around the displays looked suspicious to her, but she was on my ass from the moment I walked in the store -- so I took it personally. I told my buddy who was waiting in the car and he laughed that he could see her trailing me through the window the entire time. Nice to know it wasn't my paranoia, but it seriously pisses me off to be the only person in a store being so blatantly treated like a potential shoplifter. I mean, I was just there yesterday and spent $40 on the bundle deal. She may have only been "doing her job", but this Blockbuster has gotten it's last money from me for a while.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-08-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 07:11 PM

The Roomate and Green Hornet used BDs are still $16.99? I had a clerk refuse to do a price check for me today stating that all prices had been udpated.
Old 12-18-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Would be nice if they just went $5 a pop.But maybe they sell more with these deals where you havee to buy 3 or more.

Good part about this sale is you can get the TV show set that are $14.99 or less in this deal.

I bought these 5 yesterday
Letters to Juliet
The Good the Bad and the Weird
The Davinci Code
The Road
Winnie the Pooh(DVD) :-(

I had some BBV credit to burn, so I stopped by tonight.
If the newer releases (Crazy, Pirates, etc.) don't have the original artwork, ask the employee if they have it behind the counter.
Thanks for the info.
I think it's kind of funny that A few or one studio makes BBV go out and buy thes movies to rent.it's all about the $$$,and in the end the cusomer will likey pay for it.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-18-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pepsiguy
The Roomate and Green Hornet used BDs are still $16.99? I had a clerk refuse to do a price check for me today stating that all prices had been udpated.
It was still marked $16.99 at my local Blockbuster. Didn't ask for a price check.

Novato, CA put out a handful of new BDs tonight that I didn't see on their shelves during the previous sales. Nothing too crazy though.

Used my $5 gift card from my previous purchase towards some DVDs, since there wasn't any BDs I felt like spending my money on.
Old 12-18-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't checked them to verify extras yet, but I picked up the following:

* Green Lantern - Max Movie Mode.
* Harry Potter Hallows 2 - Came in rental case, but supposed to have extras.
* Crazy, Stupid, Love - Extras listed
* Pirates 4 - They swapped in a copy of the BD case art and commentaries are listed.
* Horrible Bosses - Extras listed.

If anything turns out differently, I'll update unless anyone else who's already bought these would care to chime in.
Old 12-19-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Would be nice if they just went $5 a pop.But maybe they sell more with these deals where you havee to buy 3 or more.

Good part about this sale is you can get the TV show set that are $14.99 or less in this deal.

I bought these 5 yesterday
Letters to Juliet
The Good the Bad and the Weird
The Davinci Code
The Road
Winnie the Pooh(DVD) :-(

Thanks for the info.
I think it's kind of funny that A few or one studio makes BBV go out and buy thes movies to rent.it's all about the $$$,and in the end the cusomer will likey pay for it.
Great pick-up, I love this film. The chase scene at the end in particular is a visceral experience in the HT. Thankfully only paid about $8 on Ebay on it.
Old 12-19-11, 05:35 PM

Had a decent selection at the Grayson, GA store yesterday. Got:

Princess and the Frog
Iron Man 2
Red

All brand new and with slipcovers(if you are into that).
Old 12-19-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

SLiPCoverS!!!! HORAYYy
Old 12-20-11, 08:13 PM

Can anyone confirm if they are still selling new dvd/blu titles $19.99 and less in their bundles of 3 for $25, etc? I just looked at the website and it says anything $13 or less is part of the bundle for new titles. I bought a new 3 pack this past Friday and $19.99 or less was still their deal.
Old 12-20-11, 08:56 PM

Has this happened to anyone else?: I bought three used Blu-rays (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Wall Street 2) for $14.99, and they gave me a free $5.00 gift card. What is that about?
And now I hear that they are going to be open on Christmas Day giving away free batteries.
At least they are starting to try and do some different things.

And yes, they are still selling new titles 3 for $25.00 (the store that I was in had crossed in the amount of $19.99 or less, over the amount of $12.99 on the sign).
Old 12-20-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jackson walker
Has this happened to anyone else?: I bought three used Blu-rays (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Wall Street 2) for $14.99, and they gave me a free $5.00 gift card. What is that about?
They gave out $5 gift cards if you bought anything in the bundle deals (3 for $15, $3 for $25, etc) last week. I thought it ended last week, but I guess not for your store. Though I could be wrong about what time it ended.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.