Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Didn't see too much in this recent sale but I did pick up....

Vakyrie
Death Race 2
After Life
Sunshine Cleaning
Harry Brown
Old 07-03-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
For those that bought Date Night and The Hangover, do you know if they at least have both versions of the film on it. It doesn't say on the back and I haven't popped them in to check yet.

plus as a bonus they had 3 tubs of video games for "buy one at $14.99, get another one free". I scored Force Unleashed 2 and Final Fantasy 13.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned at least once in my (long) posts above that Date Night was totally stripped of all extras and only has the theatrical version.

Are other people seeing tubs of B1G1F video games at their stores? I didn't see such a tub but then I didn't know to ask/look.
Old 07-03-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A couple of stores I went to had tubs of games plus endcaps. One store only had a couple of endcaps with a handful of games.

One store was running "Buy one 14.99 or less, Get one 14.99 or less free". The other two were running "Buy one 14.99 and up, Get one 14.99 or less free".
Old 07-03-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Are other people seeing tubs of B1G1F video games at their stores? I didn't see such a tub but then I didn't know to ask/look.
All used games are buy 1 (any price) get 1 ($14.99 and under) free. This sale is also 7/1-7/4.
Old 07-03-11, 12:48 PM

I'm pretty sure I mentioned at least once in my (long) posts above that Date Night was totally stripped of all extras and only has the theatrical version.
I actually caught that after I posted and went back through previous posts. I must have missed it.

I went back again today and picked up 5 more Blu's and 2 more games. Hopefully this is it!

I got:
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
The Losers
Splice
The Kids Are All Right
The Messenger

and snagged Medal of Honor LE and Transformers: War For Cybertron for the 360 both for $14.99 total.

I might as well just hand my wallet over to Blockbuster. I counted all the Blu's that I bought from the previous sale, the 99 cent deal, and now this one and the total is 131. My girlfriend was with me yesterday when I went and the lady behind the counter was like "Back again for more, huh?". Needless to say, I got the pathetic look from my girlfriend.
Old 07-03-11, 04:19 PM

I went back and got a few more. I had trouble deciding between Splice (Rental version) and Get Him to the Greek (missing disc 2 which has a lot of the extras). I chose the latter but probably should've picked the former. So far Robin Hood (2010) is the only one I know marked Rental/Exclusive that has all the extras of the normal retail version.

AsmodeusVice, does your Rental copy of Splice BD have the 35m extra called "A Director's Playground: Vincenzo Natali on the Set of Splice"? I assume no, but I have this weird memory of seeing "Director's Playground" on the back cover of the rental copy. Unfortunately it didn't dawn on me until I had returned home and re-read that part of the review where I then realized Splice might not be crippled of extras like most Rental copies are.
Old 07-03-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the retail version of Splice and the featurette is no big loss if you don't get it. There are a few interesting details, but it's not a comprehensive making-of.

Any word of a 99 cent blowout tomorrow for the Fourth? Thanks.
Old 07-03-11, 08:21 PM

AsmodeusVice, does your Rental copy of Splice BD have the 35m extra called "A Director's Playground: Vincenzo Natali on the Set of Splice"? I assume no, but I have this weird memory of seeing "Director's Playground" on the back cover of the rental copy.
There's nothing on the back indicating that it's there. I'll pop it in in the morning to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it's just the movie.
Old 07-03-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the only thing on disc 2 of Get Him to the Greek was the Digital Copy?
Old 07-03-11, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I thought the only thing on disc 2 of Get Him to the Greek was the Digital Copy?
Unfortunately that's not the case according to this review which breaks out the contents of the BD and DVD discs. Scroll down to the Special Features and Extras section:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Get-Hi.../13591/#Review

You miss deleted scenes, gag reels, interviews, and more than an hour of extras on the DVD. It's one of those sad cases where instead of duplicating the same extras on each disc they spread it across discs. Of course the brains at Blockbuster who distribute these to the stores see a BD and a DVD in the same package and assume digital copy, and in an unthinking reflex action their hands snatch the DVD and throw it into the trash (or perhaps their backpack to take home and sell on eBay). Then people who rent or buy it miss out on some of the extras. Too bad they didn't put the deleted scenes and gag reel on the BD and leave the less interesting stuff (interviews and music videos) on the DVD instead of vice-versa. Oh well.
There's nothing on the back indicating that it's there. I'll pop it in in the morning to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it's just the movie.
AsmodeusVice, I look forward to hearing about Splice tomorrow. If you don't see mention of "A Director's Playground" on the back cover, then it was probably my imagination and isn't on the BD rental copy. There's a small chance I might go to a different Blockbuster tomorrow, so who knows what I'll find, but finding 5 more BDs I want at any Blockbuster would be a miracle, especially given my aversion/fussiness over the "rental" copies missing extras.
Old 07-03-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question, did anyone stop by today and see if there was any titles that dropped down in price today that would make them eligible now for the sale? Others have reported that Sunday is the day that if any price drops happen that is when it does. j/w thx
Old 07-04-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to get 15 different titles at a store in another city I normally don't visit. The last sale I had trouble finding 5 at my local store that is only a few miles away. I happened to be passing by and thought I would check out to see what they had. Too lazy to list them but it wasn't anything rare or unusual.
Old 07-04-11, 06:58 AM

AsmodeusVice, I look forward to hearing about Splice tomorrow. If you don't see mention of "A Director's Playground" on the back cover, then it was probably my imagination and isn't on the BD rental copy.
Nope, it's not there. It just gives the options for languages and play movie.
Old 07-04-11, 09:46 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Heading out to my "local" Blockbuster shortly (which is over 6 miles away) and amn really hoping that they have some 99c Blu Rays. I called up yesterday and the person I spoke to wasn't the brightest and since I'm heading in that direction I figured I'd stop by anyway.

I'm going to try to limit myself to $20 either way, but really hopin to walk out of there with 20 as opposed to 5 LOL
Old 07-04-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopped by the store that had the 99c Blus Memorial day and it was slim pickings meaning no 99c and hardly any great titles in the 5/20.

I had A Few Good Men, Atonement and Crank in my hands but I just couldn't find two more so I just put them back.

Went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few odds and ends and stopped by the BB closest to my house and they were pretty bare too. I could justify two or three titles (Goodfellas, Seven Years in Tibet being two) but I couldn't find any others that I really, really wanted.

Oh well...
Old 07-04-11, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I have the retail version of Splice and the featurette is no big loss if you don't get it. There are a few interesting details, but it's not a comprehensive making-of.

Any word of a 99 cent blowout tomorrow for the Fourth? Thanks.
I rented the splice dvd and you're right. Nothing much on the special features, so i pulled the trigger and bought the rental only blu ray. I figured i'll just get a marker and color in the part that says rental only on the cover.
Old 07-04-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My local blockbuster had 99 cent dvds, but no blu rays.
Old 07-04-11, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
My local blockbuster had 99 cent dvds, but no blu rays.
Yeah? I hope they extend this sale, like they did with the last one. Especially the 99 cent sale. but prolly no luck.
Old 07-05-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Went back this morning to see if my store ever put out Robin Hood. No dice, but I still picked up 5 more while I was there. I jotted down a couple titles that looked interesting last time. After reading some reviews, I picked up:

Leaves of Grass
The Visitor

Also impulse bought:

Juno (DVD upgrade)
When in Rome (Rom-Com fluff, but I love Kristen Bell)
Charlie St. Cloud (blind buy)

Passed on Juno last time, but found the BD has significantly more features than my single-disc DVD. The clerk informed me "Someone took out the digital copy -- do you still want this one?". I never expected it to have the DC disc (despite it being advertised on the cover art), but it's nice that he bothered to asked. It's not like it wouldn't have expired by now anyway.
Old 07-05-11, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would have liked to pick up Chloe and Robin Hood, but they didn't have any copies at the one Blockbuster I went to (did not go as crazy searching around as the last time). Only picked up 5 titles (will trade any of them for Robin Hood or Chloe):
  • The Kids Are Alright
  • Edge of Darkness (Rental)
  • Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
  • Duplicity
  • The Reader
Old 07-05-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up an extra copy of the LOTR trilogy if anyone is interested. I posted on the BBV trade thread but it seems to get little traffic.
Old 07-05-11, 07:48 AM

If anyone happened upon a Band of Brothers Disc 4 and are willing to part with it, please let me know!
Old 07-05-11, 09:31 AM

Nope, it's not there. It just gives the options for languages and play movie.
AsmodeusVice (and others), thanks for the info on Splice. I went to a different BB on the last day of the sale, and after hearing the additional comments I was going to pick up Splice anyway, but it was the only BD in this other store that I could find that I wanted, so I ended up not getting it because of the multiple of 5 rule.

My suggestion for Blockbuster's next BD sale (and I'm sure they are NOT listening) is instead of 5 for $20 which is making it really difficult for me to find 5 when I already have so many of what they are selling (as it's mostly the same-old same-old stuff)... make it $5 for 1 or 2 BDs or $4 for 3 or more BDs so that people who can't find multiples of 5 can still get something.

So, I wonder if our next Blockbuster sale will be Labor Day as they seem to be timing these to holidays. Unless they add at least 20 more titles next time, I'll be hard pressed to find even 5 given my aversion (and usually skipping) any titles that say Rental, Rental Exclusive, or Blockbuster Exclusive which is becoming more and more of a majority. So this thread will go to sleep for a while until the next sale...

I'm not trying to complain and I'm glad Blockbuster is doing these sales. I'm simply pointing out the difficulty of making purchases using the multiples of 5 rule.

And nobody I asked at any of the stores I went to had heard about any stores getting any more 99c BDs for sale. I think that was just a Memorial Day thing, though I'm sure it'll happen again someday. It just didn't happen this time.
Old 07-05-11, 10:07 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Unless they add at least 20 more titles next time, I'll be hard pressed to find even 5 given my aversion (and usually skipping) any titles that say Rental, Rental Exclusive, or Blockbuster Exclusive which is becoming more and more of a majority. So this thread will go to sleep for a while until the next sale...
Remember, they do purge their rental inventory on occasion. You might not necessarily want the new release titles, but I found a ton of catalog titles at one of my stores that wasn't there during the last sale.
Old 07-05-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion for Blockbuster's next BD sale (and I'm sure they are NOT listening) is instead of 5 for $20 which is making it really difficult for me to find 5 when I already have so many of what they are selling (as it's mostly the same-old same-old stuff)... make it $5 for 1 or 2 BDs or $4 for 3 or more BDs so that people who can't find multiples of 5 can still get something.

I'm not trying to complain and I'm glad Blockbuster is doing these sales. I'm simply pointing out the difficulty of making purchases using the multiples of 5 rule.
With the lack of advertising and publicity for these sales I doubt they are worried about you not finding 5 you want. It appears they are willing to just take whoever happens to show up and finds 5 they are willing to take home at the $4 price point.

I can see a 3 for $15/ 4 for $18/ 5 for $20 type sale but I doubt they'll do a 3/$12 any time soon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.