Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blockbuster 5 for $20 Sale (Previously Viewed)

Picked up
Clash of Titans (BOTH)
Girl who played with Fire
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Girl who kicked the Hornets Nest
Get Him to the Greek
Fantastic Mr Fox
How to Train Your dragon
Date Night
Book of Eli
Old 07-01-11, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Darth O
Only picked up 5 discs today:

Date Night
Taken
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Knight and Day
Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore

Was hoping to get Dinner For Schmucks, but it was still marked above $9.99. The Champlain/Perrin store still had the LOTR trilogy, a couple Toy Story's, and Wall-E, if anyone is hunting for them.
At my store it's listed as 16.99 same as Machete.
Old 07-01-11, 08:35 PM

I also forgot when i was there this past tuesday, I picked up 2 dvds for 99 cents each. The Killer Inside me and Neighbor.
Old 07-01-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back from two stores...

True Blood Season 2 (counts as 4)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead
The Wackness

Not a single copy of LOTR to be found... Although, I call BS on that one. I was told that the only $9.99 and under at one store was on this display and that end cap. Dragon Tattoo was in that display and still priced at $16.99. It rang up $9.99. Whatever... Not going to have them scan every BD in the store.

Hornet's Nest rang up $19.99 at one store... $16.99 the other. Guess I'll wait to complete the trilogy (grabbed Played With Fire during the last sale).
Old 07-01-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty slim pickings at my local BBV. Did find Iron Man 2 on the table. I know the manager, so I had him look up "How to Train Your Dragon", and the LoTR titles. He said HTTYD was OK, but the LoTR titles were still showing $16.99! However, he did some "ring up" magic and so I managed to get the five titles for $20
Old 07-01-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This afternoon I went to my 2 "nearest" Blockbuster (3 miles apart from each other) and 5 miles away from my house. I was amazed how crowded both stores were, but not a single person at either store was looking at any of the 5 for $20 BDs while I was there... everyone was renting. I don't know if it's always that crazy every Friday afternoon/evening at Blockbuster or it's extra crazy this Friday because of the 4th of July (where I thought everyone except me either went to the beach or the lake).

Anyway... I got excited to grab a few titles I wanted (such as Robin Hood 2010 and Book of Eli so I could return my more expensive ones to Target) only to notice the dread warning label "RENTAL" on both. I learned the hard way last time that ones marked "RENTAL" mean "stripped of all extras available on the normal BD". I asked the manager there (the same nice guy as last time) why studios did this and he said precisely because they don't want you to buy used rental copies from us and want to punish you by taking away the extras to try to force you to buy the retail version. Screw that. So on principle I didn't buy any of the RENTAL ones. Guess I'll keep my Robin Hood 2010 and Book of Eli from Target.

He then told me it was safe to buy things that say "Blockbuster Exclusive" as that just meant only Blockbuster has it but the extras are still there. However, someone posted above that the "Blockbuster Exclusive" Date Night (which I bought) has been stripped of its special features too? Is that right? If so, then I'm mad and not going to waste $4 on these stripped-down movies. I'll have to ignore anything that says "Rental" or "Blockbuster Exclusive" on it in the future. Unfortunately many of the new titles said one or the other. Oh well. $4 for a full fledged BD was too good to be true. For $1 or $2 I'll tolerate a stripped down retnal BD, but not for $4. Call me fussy and OCD.

The worst part is that there is nowhere to look up reviews of each BD noting the differences between the retail versions vs. the Blockbuster Exclusive versions. Also, with different UPCs than the retail version, I assume stores like FYE won't accept Blockbuster Exclusive or Rental BDs for trade-in. Has anyone tried this and could confirm it?

These are the BDs I skipped that were marked "Rental":
Nightmare on Elm Street (new)
Book of Eli
Clash of the Titans (new)
The Losers
Robin Hood (2010)
Cats & Dogs 2

Besides the ones mentioned above, below are the BDs I scribbled down that I don't remember seeing during the last sale. Everything else was the same-old same-old. I only ended up buying the first 10 marked with a * (all blind buys except AvP and Quo Vadis).
* The Experiment
* Charlie St. Cloud
* Leap Year
* When in Rome
* Harry Brown
* Crazy Heart
* Tooth Fairy
* Quo Vadis
* Alien vs. Predator
* Date Night
How to Train Your Dragon - already own
Edge of Darkness - already own
Percy Jackson and the Olympians - already own
Clockwork Orange
? Lottery Ticket
? 127 Hours
? Jonah Hex
? The Killer Inside Me
? Hot Tub Time Machine (it might have been a Rental?)
? Splice
? Six Wives of Henry Lefay
? Get Him to the Greek (disc 2 of extras was missing)
? The Longshots
? Crimson Wing

I'm thinking maybe I should've bought Crimson Wing and possibly Splice (reviews weren't that great), but as usual finding blind buys in multiples of 5 is darn near impossible with such a limited selection. This is one of the few times I wish I had a cell phone with a data plan so I could check the Internet.
Old 07-01-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manzana
I asked the manager there (the same nice guy as last time) why studios did this and he said precisely because they don't want you to buy used rental copies from us and want to punish you by taking away the extras to try to force you to buy the retail version. Screw that. So on principle I didn't buy any of the RENTAL ones. Guess I'll keep my Robin Hood 2010 and Book of Eli from Target.
Heh, you mean the principle of doing exactly what the studios want? You showed them!
Old 07-01-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

went to 3 different stores today. scored at the first one by grabbing these...

LotR trilogy
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Cats & Dogs: Revenge/Kitty Galore(wife picked this one out)

The other 2 stores I went to had only one or two titles that interested me. So no buys there. Did see another set of the LotR trilogy at the second store I went to.
Old 07-01-11, 09:38 PM

Is 127 Hours really eligible? My store didn't have it, but it has most of the other new ones, and I'd definitely pick something up for someone else to trade for it.
Old 07-01-11, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
Heh, you mean the principle of doing exactly what the studios want? You showed them!
You'd be correct if I were to run out and pay a lot more for new retail copies just to get the extras, but my cheapness prevents that. I'll just wait until the retail versions are $6 or less with the full features and extras. Paying $2 more for missing extras is about right and I feel like I'm winning rather than doing what the studios want which is either to pay $5-$10 more for the full version or to buy the stripped down version.
Originally Posted by marginal
Is 127 Hours really eligible? My store didn't have it, but it has most of the other new ones, and I'd definitely pick something up for someone else to trade for it.
It was definitely on the table but I only saw its edge. I didn't pull it out to verify the price tag. I'm tempted to go back tomorrow to buy a few I missed (reading the reviews now).

Does anyone remember if Hot Tub Time Machine was a Rental or Blockbuster Exclusive title?
Perhaps 127 Hours and Splice would be good choices in addition to Crimson Wing? The manager will hold those (if they're still there) for me.
Old 07-01-11, 09:53 PM

I just checked Hot Tub Time Machine. Labeled "Rental Exclusive," no special features.

You'd be correct if I were to run out and pay a lot more for new retail copies just to get the extras, but my cheapness prevents that. I'll just wait until the retail versions are $6 or less with the full features and extras. Paying $2 more for missing extras is about right and I feel like I'm winning rather than doing what the studios want which is either to pay $5-$10 more for the full version or to buy the stripped down version.

It was definitely on the table but I only saw its edge. I didn't pull it out to verify the price tag. I'm tempted to go back tomorrow to buy a few I missed (reading the reviews now).

Does anyone remember if Hot Tub Time Machine was a Rental or Blockbuster Exclusive title?
Perhaps 127 Hours and Splice would be good choices in addition to Crimson Wing? The manager will hold those (if they're still there) for me.
Old 07-01-11, 09:57 PM
Cool New Member

Crazy Heart
Date Night
Knight and Day
Marmaduke
Tooth Fairy

I bought these 5 blu-rays at Blockbuster today and each one says rental exclusive. I didn't know what Blockbuster was selling was different than what I'd buy from Walmart. I just thought it was a good deal for used blu-rays that look like there new. I don't see any special features listed on the back covers. I guess that mean these are movie only versions? I feel gipped.
Old 07-01-11, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by marginal
I just checked Hot Tub Time Machine. Labeled "Rental Exclusive," no special features.
But to be fair, there's not that many features on the blu ray to begin with. I have the blu ray, which i bought when walmart had alot of fox blu rays for 12 bucks a while back. Just a few short vids that are a couple mins long. and the rated and unrated version? There's not much that's different anyway, i could hardly see the difference.
Old 07-01-11, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zozoz
Crazy Heart
Date Night
Knight and Day
Marmaduke
Tooth Fairy

I bought these 5 blu-rays at Blockbuster today and each one says rental exclusive. I didn't know what Blockbuster was selling was different than what I'd buy from Walmart. I just thought it was a good deal for used blu-rays that look like there new. I don't see any special features listed on the back covers. I guess that mean these are movie only versions? I feel gipped.
Even if there is no features. Most of the features would be crap i'm assuming. Most features these days are a bunch of 2-3 min vids talking about stuff, a gag reel, trailers and maybe a commentary if you're lucky. And yes its movie only, but still 4 dollars for a blu ray is a hell of a deal features or not.
Old 07-02-11, 12:38 AM

30 Days of Night
Troy
The Wackness
The Kids Are All Right
The Lovely Bones
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire
Green Zone
Angels and Demons
Underworld-Rise of the Lycans
Old 07-02-11, 12:39 AM
Cool New Member

I grabbed a bunch when I first got there but noticed they all said rental copy on them so I put them all back. then I drove to another store and found a few good ones so i got

Starship Troopers
The Collector
Valkerie
Quantum of Solace
and After.Life

If they hadn't had After.Life I probably woulda just left. I cannot pass up Christina Ricci Naked in HD though, no sir!
Old 07-02-11, 01:29 AM
Cool New Member

I picked up

Crazy Heart (rental)
Clash of the Titans (original, yay)
Robin Hood (rental, but includes bonus features)
How to Train Your Dragon
500 Days of Summer (rental)
Toy Story 3 (no bonus features)
Where the Wild Things Are (rental)
Harry Brown
Get Him to the Geek (says 2 disks on the case, only has 1)
The Brothers Bloom

I feel lukewarm towards these purchases because most are rentals. still, it's not a bad deal at all, for only $40. I'll probably end up selling/trading some of the rentals, like Where the Wild Things Are and 500 Days of Summer
Old 07-02-11, 01:39 AM

Ahhh, just when I tell myself no more Blockbuster, I end up at Blockbuster. Picked up 10 more:

Harry Brown
Marmaduke
Clash of the Titans ('81)
Lottery Ticket
Crazy Heart
Hairspray: 2-Disc Shake & Shimmy Edition
Amelia
Tooth Fairy
The DaVinci Code: Extended Cut
IMAX: Under The Sea

FYI, the Blockbuster across from Sierra Vista still has some great titles including Band of Brothers: Discs 1-4. And, the one on Fowler/Herndon still has the LOTR trilogy, Dreamgirls, and other good titles. Good luck
Old 07-02-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$4 for a full fledged BD was too good to be true. For $1 or $2 I'll tolerate a stripped down retnal BD, but not for $4. Call me fussy and OCD.
I don't think it's being fussy or OCD. I have a feeling you just like the attention. Ok, I'll take the bait. I just think you have to find something to complain about. We're talking about $4 whole dollars here - likely the cost of 1 gallon of gas, or a large box of cereal in California. $4 is a deal on any blu-ray - period. FYI, The Book of Eli is $9.99 at Best Buy this week so you could return it back to Target or PM. To me, time is money and people waste a lot of both, trying to save an extra $1 or $2. If/When you go back to Blockbuster this weekend, you will have negated any savings because of the extra fuel you have used and you are also taking the chance that these items will no longer be there. Just my .02, or in this case $4.
Old 07-02-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwwallace
I don't think it's being fussy or OCD. I have a feeling you just like the attention. Ok, I'll take the bait. I just think you have to find something to complain about.
BINGO, cannot say I was shocked when I read Manzana's post about his trip this time around. No matter what Manzana, you always find something to complain about
Old 07-02-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyway... I got excited to grab a few titles I wanted (such as Robin Hood 2010 and Book of Eli so I could return my more expensive ones to Target) only to notice the dread warning label "RENTAL" on both. I learned the hard way last time that ones marked "RENTAL" mean "stripped of all extras available on the normal BD". I asked the manager there (the same nice guy as last time) why studios did this and he said precisely because they don't want you to buy used rental copies from us and want to punish you by taking away the extras to try to force you to buy the retail version. Screw that. So on principle I didn't buy any of the RENTAL ones. Guess I'll keep my Robin Hood 2010 and Book of Eli from Target.
Unless you're obsessed with extras I don't remember either of those titles having anything to get relly excited about. For me I have no problem with the rental versions. I'll check extras out once for a few minutes after I watched the movie but that's about it. If they have something interesting that's fine, if not, I'll take the cheapest disc possible as long as the PQ, AQ is good.
Old 07-02-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Zozoz
Crazy Heart
Date Night
Knight and Day
Marmaduke
Tooth Fairy

To be specific, Warner and Fox titles don't have extras on their "Rental" copies, while Universal does.
Old 07-02-11, 10:35 AM

Well, I found something to complain about because last time when I bought used BDs from Blockbuster (way over 100 if I include the 99c titles) I encountered exactly 3 that said Rental and 3 that said Blockbuster Exclusive before I knew what that meant or paid attention to it. This time out of maybe 25 new titles I saw, at least half of them were Rental or Rental Exclusive. So we went from around 5% of what was available last time to maybe 50% of the new offerings. That's a bad trend saying studios are headed towards making special releases just for Blockbuster for most movies. Last time it was hardly an issue since the rentals were so rare. This time it was a major purchase blocking issue (for me).

I agree that if the extras are pretty minimal (like a few short videos or a commentary), I could live without them, but I don't have Internet access while at the store nor did I have a list of which were rentals before I went to do research ahead of time. So I just passed on everything that said Rental. For instance, the full Robin Hood (2010) shows 5 extras (one being 63 minutes), so those are substantial. Book of Eli's extras also look substantial to me. At least 1 that others mentioned (Marmaduke) does not have "substantial" extras, so a Rental would be OK there. I didn't look at the back cover of Robin Hood, but now people have said that the Rental copy of this does include the special features... so does it include all of them or just some? Unfortunately it's probably gone now if I found out it included all/most of them.

I wasn't intending to make my complaining the centerpoint (sorry if it came across that way). What I really wanted/hoped for is if people who bought the rental copies could post which extras (if any) they do have. Up until now, I assumed "Rental" or "Rental Exclusive" means 0 extras. I assumed "Blockbuster Exclusive" meant full extras. I'm now beginning to think it's unpredictable.

Sorry to have to post it here, but seriously there is no interest in these Blockbuster BD sales on Slickdeals and I could not find this info via Google search (for instance try "robin hood crowe blockbuster rental extras"). There is nowhere else to turn but here. I'll do a little more research on the rental ones to see what the normal versions contain, but there's no way I can be sure what the Blockbuster ones contain.

Originally Posted by DWilson
To be specific, Warner and Fox titles don't have extras on their "Rental" copies, while Universal does.
This is very helpful info. The kind of stuff I'm looking for. Next question: does that mean Universal includes EVERYTHING (all extras) on their DVDs marked as Rental or just SOME of the extras? If it's all extras, then why do they even bother marking it as Rental?
Old 07-02-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Picked up 10 and I'm done.

Clash of the Titans (original)
Hot Tub Time Machine
Juno
Paranormal Activity
Predators
Revolutionary Road
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Troy

Also ended up grabbing some $.99 dvds.

Angel of Death
Murder Set Pieces
Outlaw
United States of Tara S.1 ($2 since it's 2 discs)

The first store I went to had been restocked with the $.99 dvds. When I got done looking at the blus, I told the woman working that I only had 4 and needed to find one more. She told me to hold on a second and went to the back. She brought out a big old box that had been delivered the day before and they were all blu-rays. If your store is wiped out, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they received any new shipments.
Old 07-02-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Not entirely true. I bought. Observe and Report and Friday The 13th (2009), which both preserve their special features and they are both Warner titles. Maybe they slippedspilt through the system?

Anyways , picked up:

Fantastic mr fox
Where the wild things are
Up in the air
Sherlock holmes
robin hood (2010)

I saw clockwork orange (a Warner title that also retains its special features )
but passed because I think ill get the Stanley Kubrick box set down the road

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.